CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 7 of 10)

Nov 122012

Cobalt 4-cyl

While removing a cracked fuel tank to replace it with a new one, the supply port of the fuel pump assemble cracked and broke. This happened without much force at all, and is certainly not normal for this type of service.

- Spring, TX, USA

Oct 142012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and she was informed that the vehicle needed a new fuel cap. The fuel cap was replaced however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was returned to the mechanic and the contact was then informed that there was a fuel leak from the O-ring in the fuel tank. The vehicle was repaired yet the failure recurred once again. The vehicle was then taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the contact was advised that there was still a massive fuel leak. The leak was repaired however, the contact continued to smell an overpowering odor of gasoline when driving the vehicle. In addition, the vehicle would jerk abnormally when driving at various speeds. The failure mileage was 68,881 and the current mileage was 70,000.

- Blountstown, FL, USA

Aug 202012

Cobalt 4-cyl

I have read recalls on 2007 Chevy Cobalts for the fuel system having a crack in the line causing a fuel leak, but the recalls are for certain states. My car was first purchased in Indiana-auctioned in Ohio. I have contacted GM and they state this vehicle does not have the recall, but it is the same problem as the other recalls in the other states. I think it should be investigated, if you search the web on common posts related people have this same problem and have to pay a lot of money to get it fixed when it seems to be a recall.

- Chillicothe, OH, USA

Sep 052012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that when she walks up to her vehicle or when inside she gets a strong odor of gasoline. The vehicle has not been inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 140,000. The current mileage was approximately 150,000.

- Foley, MO, USA

Nov 012012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Check engine light came on. Mechanic diagnosed it with an fuel leak. Strong odor of gasoline in the car. Fuel tank coming apart where the fill tube enters the tank.

- Spring, TX, USA

Nov 012012

Cobalt 4-cyl

A week ago we noticed a strong gas odor coming from the car when parked.this morning, I started to car to let it warm up and noticed gas leaking out of the fuel tank. So I took the car to a friends auto repair shop this morning to find out that there's a recall for the exact same problem. Recall #09226B my friend suggested I take the car to the local dealer (wagner GMC) in belleville, il. So I drove to the dealer with the recall in hand only to be told that this recall only applied to vehicles made in fl, ca, AZ, nv & tx. So as I stood in the dealers repair shop with gas dripping out of the tank, I was told the repair would cost me $572. I think this is a horrible mistake on GM's behalf that could have deadly consequences. I only feel fortunate that my family doesn't smoke. I hate to think what would have happened if our car would have came into contact with an ignition source. I also call the GM hotline to inquire about the recall, only to be told the same thing. I expressed my concern that my car is experiencing the same "conditions" listed in their recall notice, regardless of where it was made. The dealer then called me back to inform me that their GM rep said they would cover 50% of the repair cost. So the why I see it is that's a 50% admission of guilt?? I'm just curious to see if there's been any other complaints about this same problem. It really has the potential to be a deadly situation.

- Swansea, IL, USA

Aug 262010

Cobalt 4-cyl

I am currently having car issues and started doing some research. I ran across the recall for my vehicle and noticed the dates. I didn't receive a letter for a fuel pump recall but I did have the same issue on the recall (cracked fuel pump). I did get it fixed at a local kwik car shop. I just called my local GM dealer ship to ask why my vehicle wasn't covered by the recall. I do have the receipt where the part was replaced.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Oct 012012

Cobalt

The contact owns 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that fuel fumes were emitted aroung the vehicle. The contact mentioned that after parking he noticed fuel was leaking from the fuel tank. The dealer was notified who stated that recall NHTSA campaign id number: 12V459000: (fuel system, gasoline: Delivery: Fuel pump) might be related to the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Huntsville, AL, USA

Oct 082012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that the vehicle had a fuel leak. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic and they stated that the fuel module needed to be replaced. The contact notified the dealer and they stated that the vehicle was not included in recall NHTSA campaign id number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline: Delivery: Fuel pump). The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The failure mileage was 106,281.

- Conyers, GA, USA

Sep 042012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that whenever the vehicle was parked or in operation, a strong odor of fuel would emit outside of the vehicle. The failure recurred continuously. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis. The technician informed the contact that the fuel tank would need to be replaced. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 12V459000; (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump) however, the contact's VIN was ineligible for repairs under the recall campaign. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 74,000.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 202012

Cobalt

Started noticing a strong fuel smell outside of my 2007 Cobalt and it quickly got worse and eventually had such a strong odor inside my car that I had to keep the window cracked any time I was in my car. I took my car into the dealership and was informed there was a fuel leak and I had to have the fuel pump module replaced. I was very upset that there was a recall on that very issue but it only applied to a couple of states. Then a few weeks after repairs are made on my car the recall is extended to include a handful more states but still Missouri was not included so I can not get reimbursed for my expense. Obviously there is a known defect; yet I had to come up with almost $600 to take care of it myself because I do not live in one of the covered states. I am curious to know why the safety of the people in those states are more valuable than myself and many other affected owners.

- Battlefield, MO, USA

Aug 012012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that fuel fumes were emitted into the vehicle. The vehicle was inspected by her husband and he was unable to find any leaks. The dealer was contacted who verified that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline: Delivery: Fuel pump). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 40,000 and the current mileage was approximately 42,664. The VIN was not available.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Apr 012012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that fuel fumes were emitted into the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the fuel pump needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. There was a recall NHTSA campaign id number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline: Delivery: Fuel pump) that might be related to the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jun 012012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Started smelling fuel after driving vehicle.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Jul 092012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that fuel fumes were emitted into the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for an oil change; however the fuel odor did not cease instead the fuel odor became stronger. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer advised that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign id number:12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline:delivery:fuel pump) the failure mileage was 117,000 and the current mileage was 123,129.

- Marietta, GA, USA

Sep 042012

Cobalt 4-cyl

Fuel pump module may crack and cause fuel to leak and car to catch fire. I live in the state of Ohio. I have to 2 children that I drive with in my car. I want to know why the recall is only for certain states. I cannot afford to have this fixed. This problem is not only going on in the southern states. This recall need to be for all states. This is extremely dangerous.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jul 092010

Cobalt

I noticed the strong odor of gasoline coming from my car.I took my car to the auto mechanic to have it checked out. I was informed that my car had a gas leak and there was a crack causing the leak in the fuel pump line. My mechanic advised me that this was rare and I should contact the manufacture to see if there was a recall and to see if I would be reimburse the money spent for the part to be replaced. I contacted General Motors via email. I explained my issue with a gas leak and asked if there was a recall. I was informed that there was no recall at the time which was July of 2010. Recently I was made aware of a recall with the Chevy Cobalt 2007 having a gas leak. I again contacted General Motors only to be told my car is not VIN specific to the recall.no one was able to explain to me why my car is a 2007 Chevy Cobalt and I had the same issue that is stated in the current recall. Clearly there is a larger problem that General Motors is not acknowledging. I've sent two more complaints asking that the recall be expanded to include more VIN's and I have not received a response to those complaints.

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Aug 292012

Cobalt 4-cyl

At the end of Aug 2012, I noticed a faint smell of gas while driving. I checked the gas cap, under the car for leaks and checked the injectors for leaks. Everything seemed ok. When I open the trunk the smell of gas is strong. Also about two weeks ago when I started the car in the morning I had to pump the gas peddle often to start the car, seems that I was losing pressure somewhere in the fuel line. I was ready to replace the fuel pump when I read about the recall on the internet, but not for my state. What a bunch of#@$. I called GMC and complained, they stated that I would have to pay out of pocket and then possibly be reimbursed. Today on the internet GMC stated I could get a special coverage warranty. I'll see how that goes. GMC's rationalization that the states they listed for recall have higher temperatures than Colorado depends on where you live in that state, I assure you it gets just as hot in Colorado. Regardless, GMC should give some type of notification to all owners of said recalled vehicles. So they could at least be aware of a potential problem.

- Lochbuie, CO, USA

Sep 012012

Cobalt

The contact owns 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that fuel fumes were emitted into the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was confirmed that the fuel pump failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and informed the contact that their vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline: Delivery: Fuel pump). The failure mileage was unknown and the current mileage was 124,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Gordo, AL, USA

Sep 092012

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact stated that while approaching his vehicle he smelled fuel fumes. The contact mentioned that once inside the vehicle it was difficult to start. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and was informed that there was a fuel leak caused by a crack in the fuel pump. The contact was informed of a recall for NHTSA campaign id number: 12V459000 (fuel system, gasoline: Delivery: Fuel pump). The manufacturer was notified and an appointment with a dealer was scheduled. The failure and current mileage was 105,000.

- Loveland, CO, USA