CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Cobalt inherited most of the problems from the 2005 and 2006 model years, but toned them down (a bit). Sure, the power steering still fails and the car has a chance of going up in flames due to a cracked fuel tank, but it’s not as prevalent as the older models. At least not yet.

In 2012, the Cobalt was recalled for gas tank fires but only for owners in certain states.

Then in 2014, the 2007 Cobalt was part of a massive GM recall due to a defective ignition switch that could cause the airbags to not deploy during an accident. The problem led to 13 deaths, government investigations and multiple class-action lawsuits.

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt:

2007 Chevrolet Cobalt Owner Comments (Page 19 of 29)

Nov 192009

Cobalt

I own a 2007 Cobalt, there was no warning leading up to the power steering going out, I was just driving along when suddenly I could hardly turn the wheel. Good thing I wasn't going very fast and I was close to home. It was very hard to turn into my driveway. I should not have to pay to fix this defect GM should fix this before someone gets killed.

- Sevierville, TN, USA

Aug 142009

Cobalt

I was driving downhill at about 35 mph, braking to make a left hand turn through and intersection with a light. The power steering went out on my 2007 Chevy Cobalt, resulting in my only being able to make such a wide turn that I almost collided with the stop light pole. I then turned the car on and off and could still barely turn the steering wheel. After taking my Cobalt to my nearest dealer the steering column was replaced and I called Chevrolet headquarters to make a complaint. They said they would reimburse the $900 repair costs as my extended warranty ended a week before the accident. After many calls back and forth they decided to not reimburse me at all.

- Long Beach, CA, USA

Jan 152010

Cobalt

Steering failure light comes on. Steering is erratic.

- Chelmsford, MA, USA

Mar 272008

Cobalt

While driving at slower speeds the electric power assist steering stops working. This has only happened 4 times but it is very scary almost resulting in 1 accident. I refuse to pay the money they want to change the power assist motor when it should be fixed for free as a safety problem. Also I would hate for GM to put the same type of part in instead of a safer updated one. I do not want to have a false sense of security. Saying there has not been any deaths is not a valid defense. Just think about turning right from a side street onto a busy road and your steering assist goes out. You run almost head on into a minivan with a mother driving 4 children to school. The minivan bounces off of your car and then off of a guard rail on the other side on the road. The minivan flips on its side killing two of the children and seriously injuring the mother. Is this an acceptable loss as long as GM does not have to pay out any money for a recall? as far as I am concerned the people at GM who are saying the power steering assist is not a problem would be guilty of murder if they made every attempt to not fix an unsafe condition. Just a short story and just my opinion.

- Peru, IL, USA

Sep 092009

Cobalt

Around 46,000 miles on my 2007 Chevy Cobalt I was driving on the highway driving to a different town, when going to turn my power steering went out. I filed a complaint to Chevrolet but someone told me to do it here too.

- Abilene, TX, USA

Jan 282010

Cobalt

I have a 2007 Chevy Cobalt. I was driving down the interstate when my power steering light came on and I lost my power steering. When I stopped the car and restarted it I had power steering for a few miles before it went out again. The next day I drove approx 135 miles before it went out again. I took the car to the garage on 2-1-2010 and they replaced my power steering motor at a cost of $390.

- Tremont, IL, USA

Sep 262009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact was driving approximately 35 mph on normal road conditions. A chime sensor sounded inside of the vehicle and the "power steering" warning light indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. Immediately, there was a loss of power steering. The driver pulled over to the side of the road. The engine was turned off. The vehicle restarted and resumed operation. The failure occurred whenever the vehicle was in operation. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was repaired for the malfunction. The failure mileage was 53,500.

- Granite Falls, NC, USA

Dec 202009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. Whenever the contact would drive the vehicle at any speed she noticed that the power steering would suddenly stop working making the vehicle extremely difficult to turn. The vehicle has not been diagnosed by the dealership and there were no prior warnings. The current and failure mileages were 46000.

- Apple Valley, CA, USA

Jan 152010

Cobalt

I own a 2007 Chevy Cobalt ls. On more then 10 occasions, I've had my car in reverse to pull into a parking spot or operating my car at low speed while trying to make a turn either left or right. I will get a message in the message center that says check powering steering, and the power steering will go out on the vehicle making it virtually impossible to navigate. To temporarily correct this problem, I must turn the car off and restart it, it then operates as normal.

- Fort Washington, MD, USA

Dec 122009

Cobalt

Car power steering locks up. Engine rough idle loss of power.

- Glen Burnie, MD, USA

Nov 152009

Cobalt

I knew ever since I purchased the vehicle with 29,000 miles that there was a problem with the power steering motor on my 2007 Chevy Cobalt. During a driving test, my daughter couldn't turn the wheel. The motor overheated. We took it to a auto shop and they said the motor will continue to do it because of the way it was made and there was nothing he could do but that I should complain to Chevy. One day in November 2009, it overheated and I couldn't turn the wheel which caused me to run up a curb. My tire was damaged and I had to be towed to a repair shop. It cost me $50 for the tow and around $200 for a new tire, wheel alignment and labor. The mechanic said it is a bad design, that they should've removed the motor and replaced it with a traditional pump. He said that will be the only way to correct the problem. It overheats daily and it is impossible to steer-especially for a small female. Chevy should have to replace these motors before someone gets killed.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Feb 032010

Cobalt

My Chevy Cobalt power steering keeps going out. I understand I am not alone with this problem. Chevy needs to recall the Cobalt. I took my car to a GM dealer and was told that it would cost me $60 just to look at my car. I was also quoted $900 to fix this problem. I feel that GM needs to pay for the correction of this problem.

- Coffeyville, KS, USA

Jan 102010

Cobalt

I was driving home doing approximately 45 miles per hour when my power steering failed to operate. It was very difficult to maneuver the car off the highway to get to safety. After I shut the car off and restarted it the power steering reset itself and it was fine to drive. This has happened at least 4 times in the last 3 weeks. I took it into the dealership and they have informed me that the power steering motor needs to be replaced at a cost of over $1,000.

- Tiverton, RI, USA

May 142009

Cobalt

The contact owns a 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt. The contact was driving approximately 35 mph on normal road conditions, proceeding to a traffic stop signal. A chime sensor sounded inside of the vehicle and the "power steering" warning light indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. Immediately, there was a loss of power steering. The driver exerted higher effort to turn the steering wheel. The engine was turned off. The vehicle restarted and resumed normal operation. The failure was happening intermittently but was now happening consistently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle is in the process of being taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Jan 312010

Cobalt

While driving my 2007 Chevy Cobalt on 1/31/10, my power steering light came on and I lost the ability to drive with power steering. I shut the car off, checked belts and fluid, all were fine. I restarted the car and had no further issues that day. On 2/2 /10, while driving, again the same light came on and power steering was gone. I pulled off to the side of the road, shut off the car, waited a minute and restarted it. Again the problem cleared itself. I have made an appt. With the service dept. Of bob johnson Chevrolet in rochester, NY for repairs on 2/4/10.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jan 272010

Cobalt

I was driving my 2007 Chevy Cobalt ss coupe down U.S. highway 84 in hinesville, Georgia when my power steering suddenly failed without warning. I received a message on the hud in the car that said power steering and the wheel immediately became extremely difficult to turn, regardless of the speed of the vehicle. I drove the vehicle home carefully as it was within half a mile of my residence and turned it off. Several hours later I turned it on and the problem was mysteriously gone. I attempted to drive down the road to the store and the same issue occurred again. I made it back home and have yet to drive the vehicle again. I contacted the Chevrolet dealership where my vehicle was purchased and advised them of the situation and asked for an estimated price on repairs. They told me they could not give me an estimate and that all I could do was have my vehicle towed to their shop for a diagnostics scan. As of yet, I have declined to take the vehicle in as I have done research online and noticed many accounts of people with the same problem I am currently having.

- Hinesville, GA, USA

Dec 202009

Cobalt

I have had my 2007 Cobalt back to the dealer so many times. One of which was for strut mounts, control arm bushings, intermediate steering shaft, sway bar links, alot water coming in through the center brake light. Those were replaced and very bad at 48K miles they told me it had reached the dangerous level and that they're glad I brought it back before somebody got hurt. Also the ac smelled terrible at 12K miles, it was in the dealer 7 times for that terrible smell. The last of which took them a week to put in an evaporator which only cured the issue for 3 weeks. It still smells awful when the A/C is running. As far as the car's suspension, since December it has been very hard to manage the car on the road. Its all over the place, I've almost side swiped a few semi's and I cross into other lanes almost every day I drive it. Its very hard to handle. Its is just about impossible to make the car go straight, its always drifting all over the road now.

- Black Lick, PA, USA

Jan 202010

Cobalt

Power steering 2007 Chevy Cobalt (25,000 miles) steering car becomes more and more difficult.

- Kearny, NJ, USA

Feb 012010

Cobalt

On my 2007 Chevrolet Cobalt, the (electric) power steering suddenly failed twice in two days. The dashboard warning light "power steering" came on and the steering wheel suddenly became very hard to turn. Both times were at low road speed, in cold Ohio February weather. My 17 year old daughter was driving both times; it is her car to drive. The first time she had been driving about 6 miles and was approaching our driveway. She hit a curb when the steering failed while she was turning into the driveway. When she turned the car's engine off and restarted it, the steering and warning lights returned to normal. The second time was 24 hours later when she was backing out of a parking spot after the car was parked for about 3 hours. Again, turning off the car and starting it again made the problem go away. I am very concerned about my daughter's and other's safety if the power steering were to fail at higher speeds or in heavy traffic.

- Findlay, OH, USA

Jan 012010

Cobalt

My 07 Chevrolet Cobalt 4 door automatic has had the power steering seem like it does not work. It becomes very hard to steer. Twice my daughter has been making a turn and the steering became hard to steer and she almost went off the road. Is G.M. aware of this"??" very very dangerous.

- Mesa, AZ, USA