7.5

2001 Chrysler Town & Country steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Chrysler Town & Country:

2001 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments

Sep 012012

Town & Country Limitd

All of a sudden, while attempting to make a left hand turn from a side street, my steering wheel, just out of the blue, locked, stopped turning, would not move. The temp was prob in the 40- 50's when this happens....mostly when it is cooler. This is very dangerous since at the time, I was making a left turn crossing two lanes and a turning lane to end up in the inside lane on a four land rd (lots of traffic driving in both directions......luckily, at that time, there were no other cars in the outside lane. Had there been any cars in the outside lane I would have hit them. I had the van checked out and was told that it could be the power steering pump and the best way to rule out is to replace the fluid at around $90. Then if that stopped the problem would need to replace the power steering pump. I believe this issue has put my life as well as my children's life in danger. Also, any one that may be in the general location of my Chrysler Town and Country while traveling down the road. Does anyone have a solution to this problem? I have found several other complaints of the same.....is there a recall for this steering problem. I would love some help or a solution....since I have no other choice but to continue driving the van. I cannot afford another vehicle and must continue to work each day. PLEASE HELP BEFORE SOMEONE GETS KILLED!!!

- , LaGrange, GA, USA

May 062009

Town & Country Limited V6

I have had my power steering pump replaced twice, along with different power steering fluid, and some of tubing - has not fixed problem. Not sure what to do except trade the darn thing off and get newer van

- , Florence, OR, USA

Dec 222008

Town & Country V6

Didn't quite have the bump. Knew several months ago that maybe my CV joints may be suspect; but not sure that was problem. Anyway, it was below freezing weather, and all of a sudden, the steering wheel locks up. Could barely turn the steering enough to get in the parking space. Definitely sounds the same as the problem this other owner had on this forum. Other than this, the only other problem I've had thus far with this vehicle (bought it used) is A/C problems. Has been pretty reliable.

- , Harrisburg, PA, USA

Nov 242007

Town & Country Limited V6

This problem began as a "bumping" sound when you turn the steering wheel over a year ago. Mechanics cannot find the problem. They said it is not the power steering pump.

Now, when the weather is cold, the steering locks up as if there is no power steering and

is almost impossible to turn, until suddenly, there is a thump and the wheel will turn.

One mechanic said we might need new struts. Another said it could be the rack, but

no one seems to know for sure. I don't want to pay hundreds of dollars for something

that "might" fix the problem. Anyone had the same problem?

- , Decatur, AL, USA