CarComplaints.com Notes: What the heck happened here? A year after getting our "seal of pretty good" for the 2004, Chrysler turns around and delivers this crapwagon.

This minivan has problems ranging from rack and pinion steering failure to door locks that won't let you out. And trust me, you'll want to get out.

1.4

2005 Chrysler Town & Country engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Chrysler Town & Country:

2005 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 142016

Town & Country

My van dies on me while driving after I fill up with gas. Does it every time now. I pull out of the gas station and am in the street and it dies, I restart it after a minute but as I travel further into traffic and slow down behind another car or a light it dies again. It seems to be getting worse each time. I read other complaints for the same thing and that it was a bad part so I called customer service. They said tough, the factory warranty was up. When I asked further they hung up on me. I live on a very windy and hilly road with zero shoulder, just a mild to steep drop off into trees. If I stall in the middle of this road, no oncoming car will see me in time to stop and they can't go onto a non-existant shoulder. It will be worse when snow and ice come. I have kids and no extra car to use. If this is a because of a faulty part shouldn't they fix it or recall it" I am clearly not the only one with this problem. There are tons of people complaining of the exact same thing with the same van. What can I do" on the date below where it asks when did this happen I am putting the last time it happened since I can't put a range of dates.

- Pacific, MO, USA

Jun 202016

Town & Country

Van was sitting still and went to start. Loud noise and vibration came from engine compartment. Popped hood and found alternator broke loose from mountings. Alternator mounting on the timing chain cover broke off. Took to shop to get repair evaluated. Chrysler has since modified the timing chain cover from original design. This modification requires new timing sprockets and chains. Possible design flaw in original design? repair is almost as much as the vehicle current value.

- Griffin, GA, USA

Mar 042015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2005 Chrysler Town and country. While driving approximately 65 mph, the engine shut down and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was pulled to the side of the road and restarted after a few minutes. A local dealer was contacted, but was unable to advise on the failure over the phone. The failure recurred several times, but the vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Ankeny, IA, USA

Aug 042015

Town & Country

After filling up gas tank, vehicle stalls and jerks. A little while later, it may shut down entirely or the vehicle may stall again while pressing the accelerator. Vehicle has shut down on major road and stalled badly on main highway.

- Pasadena, TX, USA

Sep 032015

Town & Country

My 2005 Chrysler Town and country has an issue: The sash and engine totally shuts down. When it shuts down, all the lights, mileage display, drive selector, and radio resets to it default. The speedometer and tach needles go to zero and the engine shuts down. When this happens I have to get the car stopped so that I can put into park in order to restart the engine. After a few minutes the power comes back up and the needs on the speedometer and tack start recycling. When mechanics from Firestone and a local Chrysler dealer here attempted to find the issue, there were no codes to trace.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 272015

Town & Country

I just picked up the car after getting recall R03 performed at fowler Dodge in Oklahoma city. I had never had the problem that was stated in the recall but was advised to get it fixed anyway. On my way home from the dealership on 07/27/15 at approx. 1800 hrs. I hit a bump and the key fob went to the off position leaving me with out power steering, brakes, and engine. That is what the recall was suspose to fix. The one problem I had never had with the vehicle, now I am having it after the recall.

- Norman, OK, USA

Nov 062014

Town & Country

Engine stalled while driving shortly after filling up gas tank. I was able to restart immediately. It has occurred several more times. Always right after filling the gas tank. No trouble codes have ever been registered.

- Mahomet, IL, USA

Apr 292015

Town & Country

Has happened numerous times now. Vehicle cuts out and steering goes out after getting gas. Has happened on busy road and is terrifying. Have seen several such complains about this make and model.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Mar 212015

Town & Country

I was making a left turn and the steering wheel was hard to turn left, not to the right.while turning left the steering column made a load noise.when I parked took the key out the switch the motor continued to run for about 3-5 seconds before it stopped. When I came out of the store cranked up and went straight home slowly and the left turn was still hard to make and when I stopped in my drive way I put the vehicle in park and took the key out the motor ran for about another 5 seconds.I checked the power steering fluid, the oil and coolant all looked okay I waited about 15 min. And cranked the vehicle up the key seem to turn farther than normal but it cranked up okay, so I shut it back off took the key out and the motor ran another 3 -5 sec. I put the key back in the switch and the radio and mileage started flashing on and off so I took the key out and talked to a mechanic about it.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Dec 172014

Town & Country 6-cyl

After filling up the gas tank with gas, I drive away from the gas station and the van stalls. This has happened on a 2 lane divided highway in which I was almost killed! can someone please look into this situation.

- New Canaan, CT, USA

Feb 032014

Town & Country 6-cyl

After filling up gas tank and re-starting the engine, the engine either stumbles or stalls 1-5 times beginning within about 60 seconds of starting engine and driving away from gas station. This has been happening repeatedly over the last year and has become more frequent in the past 6 months. At least twice, it has stalled while pulling into an intersection right after fill up. After about 5 minutes, the stumbling/stalling stops and doesn't recur until after the next fill up. It occurs during both low-speed driving (e.g. waiting at a light) and at high-speed driving (e.g. merging onto interstate highway immediately after filling up) online forums indicate this is a common problem with this make vehicle and say the only fix is replacement of the entire gas tank. E.g., en.allexperts.com/Q/Chrysler-repair-807/F/stalling-refueling.htm due to the stalling and stumbling during driving at different speeds, this is a safety issue that is of concern, especially for my wife and others who are not highly confident drivers who would be comfortable handling a stall in traffic.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Dec 032014

Town & Country

I was on the way to a vet appointment with our puppy and had my 12 year old daughter in the van, we had traveled down the road we live on and then turned onto the mail road and after approx..5 mile the van started to hesitate in traffic and started to stall, I tried to turn the wheel hard to get it out of the road but it was to late and it stalled in the road, with in seconds I saw dark smoke coming out of the hood and started to smell it in the van, I quickly told my daughter to get out of the van and take the puppy, my daughter yelled whats wrong daddy, I said get out now and stand on the shoulder by this time flames had started to shoot out from under the hood, I joined my daughter and puppy on the shoulder and called 911 by the time they arrived the whole front end and dash was in flames and they started to put out the fire.

- Newark, DE, USA

Mar 032014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Numerous times, upon filling gas tank, vehicle stalls in first few miles of driving. Has almost caused numerous accidents. Apparently this is a common problem, the NHTSA really needs to push for a recall. I cannot fill up totally for rear of getting hit.

- Manassas, VA, USA

Sep 082014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I purchase the vehicle on September 6, 2014 and am the second owner of the vehicle. I do not have any information regarding the following problem prior to the purchase. The engine stalls while I am driving or idling shortly after refueling. I do not top off the gas tank. This has happened after each refuel since I purchased the vehicle (approximately 12 times in total). The car will sputter and then stall while idling or will jerk forward violently as the engine sputters while I am driving and then stall. This may happen immediately in the gas station parking lot or as far away as 1 mile down the road after refueling. I was nearly rear-ended this morning when this occurred.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 152014

Town & Country

My Chrysler Town & Country constantly has issues with flickering lights, whacked out speedometer, all lights in dash go haywire including headlights. Sometimes the engine shuts down temporarily while driving or even fails at stoplights. Well a while ago I had taken my son to the doctors and on the way home my van started acting up so bad that the engine completely shut down including power steering and caused me to go into the next lane and luckily we weren't hit by another driver! after sitting there in the middle of the lane during rush hour for about 10 minutes it finally decided to start up but this is now a constant issue. After seeing so many complaints with the same issue I don't understand how the manufacturer is getting away with no recall. I fear for my safety every day and have already forked way too much money into it trying to find a solution to the problem. Please anybody having the same issue please file a complaint in hopes that they will issue a recall. Thanks

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Oct 022014

Town & Country

My headlights, odometer & prnd21 began flickering intermittently. Condition worsened and gauges would turn off and back on, warning lights would flicker off & on, radio cuts out. Condition has progressed - now van has stalled out while driving three times. Battery is good, grounds are connected. This complaint seems to be common, yet dealerships do not seem to have repair information from Chrysler. Stalling while driving is dangerous - Chrysler should help identify a solution and issue a service bulletin.

- Hope, ID, USA

Sep 122014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Recently purchased 2005 Chrysler Town and country used. Within a few minutes of filling up with gas, the van stalls or nearly stalls. This has happened every time we've filled up the van with gas. Car stalls or nearly stalls while pulling out of the gas station or very soon after. Car restarts without any problem and is fine until the next fill up. It appears to be a problem with the vapor/liquid separator in the fuel tank. Many, many reports of the same problem on the internet. Chrysler needs to recall and replace the fuel tanks.

- Lansdowne, PA, USA

Dec 152011

Town & Country 6-cyl

After fill up, vehicle stalls, the engine cuts off and the vehicle loses all power and power steering. This happened first on a cross country trip and caused some serious safety concerns when attempting to exit the gas station and merge onto the highway. This problem has been occurring regularly from the first instance in 2011. When fueling, the van is never over filled; we fill until the pump clicks off. This seems to be a fairly common problem in this generation of minivans as represented in online forums trying to diagnose the problem.

- Centerville, OH, USA

May 252007

Town & Country 6-cyl

Whenever we fill up with gas, shortly after pulling out of the station the engine stalls. Sometimes sooner than later but sometimes while in an intersection. It always starts back up and problem goes away, but when the stall happens is unpredictable. I fear for my life as well as my families life. I've seen several other complaints similar to this and maybe there is a repair with this but none are definite and very expensive. Please help with any info.

- Whitehall, PA, USA

Jun 212014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Car stalled out without warning at 55 to 60mph. No warning lights, full fuel, no blown fuses. Coasted to emergency lane. Restarted vehicle with no warning lights or problems. Has done this several times with different drivers.

- Cudahy, WI, USA