2006 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Chrysler Town & Country:

2006 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Mar 282011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Headlights on 2006 Chrysler Town and country failed while driving.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

May 232010

Town & Country

The front passenger brake failed at 20,000 miles. It suddenly started squealing and then like metal on metal when brakes were applied. On 5/23/10 we put two new brake pads (ceramic $58.56) on the front. After about 8 weeks the brakes started pulsing when I braked. On 9/3/10 I went to a Chrysler garage and on 9/10/10 they turned both front rotors for $ $125. Sensor light was on for ABS, at the same time they replaced both rear brake sensors $478.20. Also garage had a "silent" recall to replace 2 front airbag sensors wit "improved parts". if I had not gone back to a Chrysler garage I wouldn't have known about the airbag sensor recall. Total $562.04, for a van that had 21,698 miles at that time. My 36 month warranty was up July 2010 and wouldn't cover brakes anyway. This report is for documentation purposes and because two months earlier I would have still been under warranty for the brake sensors. Not happy.

- Cuyahoga Falls, OH, USA

Oct 012009

Town & Country

I was not told by procare that my vehicle had been wrecked previously before buying my vehicle...I have had nothing but problems with my 2006 Chrysler Town and country...I have put over 2,000. For repairs and I am still making payments on this vehicle...I have took it to spitzer in mansfield, Ohio (paul) stated there is nothing he could do it was something electrical...I have took it to rex gilbert and he is an electrician...he stated there is nothing he can do...I have took it to 6th street repair...they tried to fix it but vehicle still wont start, wipers wont work, door locks do not work, it is now at a another body shop and he stated there is nothing he can do...I have been without a vehicle now for over 1 month and I am ready to just turn it back in....I would like to either get another vehicle or a rental while we find someone to fix my van...I love my van but it has been such a headache and its frustrating to myself and to these mechanics....I have to catch cabs, buses, use my daughters truck, use my sisters car, and this shouldn't have to be...I am making payments of $336 a month on a vehicle that doesn't run....this has been happening for the last 2 winters now. They (mechanics) @ different places have put a new starter, new battery, front control module...and nothing seems to help....please help solve this issue....thanks...

- Mansfield, OH, USA

Dec 142009

Town & Country 6-cyl

Starting when my 2006 Chrysler Town & Country van had 29,0245 miles on the odometer, the passenger side window began to behave erratically. Some days the window would go up and down when the driver's console switch was pushed other times it would respond to the switch on the door. Other days it did nothing when the switch was pushed. After approximately 6,000 miles, but while mileage was still less than 36,000, the window refused to work at all no matter what switch was used. I have asked various dealer service departments if they have successfully repaired similar situations. The answer is always no. I ask if there is a recall out on this problem. They say no. Since this is similar to my problem with my 1997 Dodge Caravan where the windshield wiper switch refused to turn on the wipers, even after another, certified correctly operating stalk switch was installed and all wiring checked. The wipers still worked mechanically when the "wash" position was pushed. Finally I had to have a new "body control module" computer installed and all this took three trips to the dealer and cost $741.19, I did not want to leave my van to be "experimented upon" (with me paying the bill). I believe all this is the result of the installation of a defective computer module (which they call "body control module") during the manufacture of the vehicle. I also think I should not have to pay to have it fixed as the vehicle was basically "programmed to fail" due to the use of defective parts. I authorize the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration to utilize my description(s) to discuss this matter with Chrysler corporation.

- Lovell, ME, USA

Oct 142010

Town & Country

Passenger door locks just stopped working then door all together stopped working and know will not close even manually.

- Powell, TN, USA

Sep 052010

Town & Country

Normal city driving, 35 mph, all dash function lights came on including, check engine, airbags, oil etc. All mechanical gauges (mph etc.) stopped working. Gear selection lights (prd12) all lit. Trip computer stopped receiving information. Interior fan stopped working. Headlights came on. Total electronic disruption but engine continued to run. Stopped, restarted, all dash lights again came back on - climate control fan, radio, interior lights, door locks worked, headlights came back on (switch turned off). Cold start next morning - same problems. Replaced battery, same problems. Can't determine operating status without gauge readouts, speed, temp etc. Not working properly. Door locks not working at times. Electronic rear hatch and side sliding door not working at times. Afraid to drive the van.

- Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Jul 162010

Town & Country

Electrical problems. Driving on vacation in heavy traffic (DC area) signals quick working. The left signal quit and then when I turned on right the left came on. Eventually all signals failed. (July 16, 2010) it continues to happen occasionally. Aug 8 the sliding door lock on driver side will not work except manually. Nothing repaired yet. Can't find the problem. Noted others having same issues.

- Elizabeth, IN, USA

Jul 282010

Town & Country

Vehicle is driving fine on highway, check engine light comes on, then airbag light, then seatbelt light. Within a few minutes all dashboard lights are on and all dials (speedometer, oil gauge, temp gauge, RPM gauge) are all at zero while vehicle is driving at about 65 mph on highway. Also, periodically the car will start and immediately turn off multiple times. After waiting a day, it will start up fine and then the next time, will start then stop. Vehicle has been taken to the dealership 3 times and most recently they have had it for 2 weeks with no luck finding any issues. We just keep getting charged for them to look at it without finding anything.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Apr 152010

Town & Country

I have experienced inconsistent performance of turn signals and windshield wipers. Upon activating the turn signal to indicate a left or right turn the turn signal will at times activate for the opposite direction or not activate at all. It will also activate intermittently - it will activate properly then suddenly turn off or switch directions and then switch back to the proper direction. I have had similar problems with the windshield wipers - they will suddenly turn off and then with out any change in controls resume wiping. I have not been in a situation where this has caused an accident but I could imagine such circumstances.

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

May 192010

Town & Country

2005 & 2006 Chrysler Town & Country: Wiring damage by rodents causing multiple electrical systems failure including transmission failure to shift and non starting of vehicle. Material in wire insulation appears to attract them. We own both vehicles above and problems occurred in 2009 & 2010.

- Spencerport, NY, USA

Jun 122009

Town & Country

At times, my electrical system goes nuts. All the dash lights flash on and off repeatedly, the rear windshield wiper goes on and off. I'm unable to unlock the doors using the electrical buttons.

- Gainesville, VA, USA

May 152010

Town & Country

2006 Chrysler Town and country mini van. When it is rainy or damp outside(foggy) the van is difficult to start and keep running after the weather clears up and dries out the van is O.K. approximate 40,000 miles and problem free up to this point.

- New Lenox, IL, USA

Mar 062010

Town & Country

Signal light would flash right, when indicator was switched to flash left. Fortunately this only angered several motorists, and accidents were avoided. Checked for bad grounds in accessible places, all wiring appears intact. Replaced signal switch arm and module to successfully correct issue.

- Johnson City, TN, USA

Aug 072009

Town & Country

I bought a 2006 Town and country LX in May 17, 2006. Shortly after a year I had to replace my brakes, not only my pads were gone but the rotor was damaged and I never even got a warning, than April 2008 I had to replace my power steering bracket. In May 2009 again my brakes and rotors were gone. June 1st 2009 my van died. I had to buy a new battery. July 29 my driver side mirror fell down. And now August 7 my front A/C wont work but the back does.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 012008

Town & Country

When I attempt a left turn, ,,left turn signal doesn't work, ,when I attempt a right turn, left signal flashes, when I try to activate my windshield wipers, I have to blink my high beams for the wipers to work. And on occasion, when I turn right, both signals flash.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 102008

Town & Country

Prior to this incident, there were no issues with the vehicle. No service lights were on and the vehicle seemed to be operating normally. At 11:00 pm on the night of the incident, I looked out our window and saw our van on fire. The fire was located in the front of the vehicle, primarily on the passenger side dashboard. The windshield and the passenger side window had been blown out as a result of the fire. The fire department responded and put out the fire. The vehicle was damaged beyond repair and is a complete loss. The fire fighters on the scene looked for signs of arson and indicated that there was no evidence of arson and no accelerate was noted or smelled. The report we received from the fire department indicated that the cause of ignition was failure of equipment or heat source, the heat source was electrical arcing, the item first ignited was electrical wire, cable insulation and the type of material first ignited was plastic. It also indicated that the factors contributing to ignition were mechanical failure, malfunction. The car was towed to the nearest dealership, which happened to be where we purchased the car five months earlier. The dealership refused to provide a loaner car even though our vehicle in under warranty through 36,000 miles. It currently has approximately 29,000 miles. The event remains under investigation and the dealership has indicated they believe we should file a claim with our insurance company. We have refused to do this as it is our belief that this issue occurred due to a defect within the vehicle and it should be covered by the factory warranty.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

Feb 232008

Town & Country 6-cyl

1) low tire pressure light illuminated. Filled tires, which were within 1-2 psi of recommendation, to full psi. Light remained on. Filled tires again. Light went off. One week later, same occurrence. Took to dealer, tires were filled again. Light is off. 2) one week after 23 point inspection, and for two weeks brake and air bag lights flickered momentarily when turning the car on and when turning the steering wheel, which was accompanied by a cessation of radio/cd transmission/sound. Within the last four days, all warning lights flicker in both of the above mentioned situations with resultant radio/cd sound cut-off. Yesterday, 2/23/08, I left the door and lights on for 3 minutes (took keys out of ignition) to help a friend into her house. Upon returning to vehicle, and turning the keys to start the vehicle, nothing worked, no sounds emitted. It is completely dead. I am now checking the battery and the electrical box and getting the van ready to be towed to dealer. The contract with this lease car will end May 30, 2008.

- W. Bloomfield, MI, USA