2008 Chrysler Town & Country accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 102016

Town & Country

When on the road in warmer weather everything is fine and then all electrical components stop working windows, air conditioner, speed control, radio, not sure what else. All idiot lights come on, wipers come on and wont stop until key is in off position or if you keep driving it will eventuality come to normal but until it does, no windows, no ac makes it a hazard in traffic at temps around 100 degrees. Makes one wonder what will happen next because it gets real hot in the car real fast and it works on your mind. When the weather is cool it hardly ever happens but when it does occur its for a shorter time. Headlites say on but I'm not sure about the brake lites and turn signals.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

May 012016

Town & Country

After having the win module replaced due to recall the vehicle intermittently started having an issue. While driving we would loose power all gauges (RPM, mpg, fuel), start flashing all the dash lights, chiming, wipers would engage, and headlights start flashing. (all at the same time) this would randomly happen at all times day or night, in all types of weather (cold, warm, wet, dry) and at various speeds and various driving terrains(both city streets and highways). After driving at night and having headlights flashing off and on while everything lighting up and turning on and off (extremely dangerous) we left at dealership for over a week and also showed them a video that we took of the car going haywire. They however, could not diagnose problem. They said all they knew was that when this happens the vehicle is actually trying to shut itself off and that the computer was resetting itself to avoid the engine turning off. They could not tell us why this was happening or how to fix this.

- Warren, OH, USA

Mar 082016

Town & Country

On 3/7/16, 3 days following the recall repair for the win module we had done on 3/4/16, after starting the car and beginning to drive in my church parking lot, all of the dash lights lit up, the car started chiming as if I didn't have my seatbelt on, the wipers engaged, and the mph and RPM gauges dropped to zero. It continually repeated. I attempted to pull into a parking space, turn off and removed key from ignition. Restarted car, and problem persisted. I repeated this again with the problem still persisting. I pulled into a gas station, turned car off, removed key, and exited vehicle. When I restarted the car the problem had stopped. Two days later on 3/8/16 I started my car for work and as soon as I put the car in reverse the same problem started. Shut the car off, removed key, and restarted... still occurring. Shut the car off, removed key, exited vehicle, restarted, still occurring... I proceeded to drive down the road after exiting my driveway and took a video of this problem repeating continually until a mile down the road, I pulled over into an empty parking lot, shut the car off, removed key, opened and shut the door, and let it sit for 3-5 minutes before restarting, and the problem no longer occurred. My husband called the dealership, greenwood auto in cortland, oh to tell them what was happening, and all they said that it wasn't from them repairing the win module. I find this extremely unsafe, and hard to believe this is just a coincidence as this has never happened before prior to having the recall repair done. I do not have pictures but I do have a video. Chrysler customer service now says I have to pay a Chrysler dealership for a diagnosis of this new problem, how convenient that is.

- Warren, OH, USA

Jan 282016

Town & Country

The incidents below are related to the tipm. 11-22-13, 80000 miles, I have video. (I'm guessing on mileage.) in my garage. I hit my unlock button on my fob. I do not have a starter, but my van began running, the lights, wipers & horn came on, the doors locked. I manually unlocked the door. Entering the vehicle, I tried to turn on/off the van, wipers & lights to no avail. After 1/2 hour, it stopped. I started the car. It was working. 3-17-15, 100000 miles (I'm guessing on mileage.) in the parking lot, I tried to start my van. No response. Figured my battery died. As soon as we started a jump, van's horn started blaring, wipers, lights & motor began. Could not turn anything on/off with my key. We removed/replaced a fuse, which stopped the horn, wipers, etc. I drove home. 1-28-16, 122487 miles I left work, hit my fob's unlock button, the wipers started going, etc. (the horn's had burned out from a previous incident). I drove 4 miles. The van stalled dangerously in traffic. I was able to pull over. After 5 mins, the wipers stopped. I drove it home. The engine light came on. I made it home. Next morning, while driving, the washer fluid started shooting! I barely got the van pulled over before it stalled. I couldn't stop the wipers. It started again.I drove to about 2 miles from the dealership before it died - the wipers were still going. My tow bill was $77. When I tell service the symptoms, she said, "do you have a Town and country?" I had the ignition module (recall) replaced.I went home. 2-3-16, 122600 miles driving to work. Wipers begin, wiper fluid shooting out again! 5 days prior, they said it was a recall for the ignition module. Today, it has nothing to do with the ignition module replacement. I must pay $966 to get a new tipm if I want to be safe. It is not covered under recall or warranty. I called Chrysler customer service.they said the same.

- Zimmerman, MN, USA

Jan 122016

Town & Country

Several times, driving at speeds of fifty-sixty-five mph, electric driver seat goes forward and back, forward and back. At the same time, wipers come on, , and all dash alerts start flashing. It does not turn car off, and repeats this several times, even in park. Scary!!!!!!!!!

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Jul 292015

Town & Country

I took my car in for a recall on an ignition win module recall. The car was given back to me with several electrical issues and is now very unsafe to drive. Dealer replaced the part 4X now says its my issue!! my car was working properly when it was given to the dealer and was not returned to me in the same condition. The dealer experienced and witnessed this issue and says they cant find anything wrong with it. The only way they will help me is if I pay. My car will randomly light up the dash like I just turned it on, wipers go on by themselves, I have no dials on the dash they all bottom out to zero so I have no idea how fast im going, my turn signals and head lights go on and off, even in the dark! my car doesnt register in park so my doors wont open. After I take the key out it will light up as if key is in it and its not. Not safe for driving but I have no other options at this point! attached is a link to show a video of just a small bit of the issues with my van since part replacement. Https://

- Northville, MI, USA

Sep 242015

Town & Country

Yesterday while driving in town my engine stalled, and the horn started blaring. Not honking or alarm sound, but solid blaring. My wipers turned on high, and the windshield wash started spraying all over. Front and rear wash and wipers. My reverse lights were on, even though the vehicle was in park. Also, the fan inside the van for the heater/ac isn't working. This spell lasted 3-5 minutes. Afterward, I was able to restart the van and continue on my way. Today, the same thing happened, shortly after starting the vehicle. 2 of the 3 times happened while I was driving on the street, approx 25-30 mph.

- Gloversville, NY, USA

Jul 202015

Town & Country

We bought our 2008 Chrysler Town and country in may of 2014 used from kunes Ford antioch Illinois. The first time I went to use my electric start, about 15 mins after car was going the van started going crazy windshield wipers/ fluid horn blaring doors lock can't use the fobik key to unlock the only way to stop it was to disconnect battery. Couple months past and it started acting to where I would go to start the car and it would just click and would T start. It has done all of the listed above numerous times but now it is getting more and more. About 3 weeks ago it did it 7 times in one week 4 of those times I had my 4 children in the vehicle. While I am driving down the street it will start to do this craziness and then it will stall. Yesterday August 4 2015 it did it twice the second time it started with wipers while driving when I got home I parked it took the key out of ignition and the van was still running and doing the wipers the doors locked and I could T get it unlocked to get my children out of the car. I have had it at a Chrysler dealer for service for 2 weeks where the service manager drove it personally he was able to get it to do the same thing to him. I had my vehicle returned after two weeks charged $235 dollars and was told good luck to you we have no clue what's causing it. I have been in contact and complaining to Chrysler which I now have a case manager who could only tell me to take it to dealership while its in process to have it ran for codes which I did yeaturday and was laughed at but the service guys. I am at my wits end. This is the car we purchased for our family to be safe in but instead I am driving a death trap and no one has an answer or wants to help. Someone needs to do something about this this is a serious problem. I just googled it and found tons of complaints about same thing. This is an issue for sure!! please help!!!

- Lake Villa, IL, USA

Aug 052014

Town & Country

My wife went to the car to unlock it the horn began blaring, locks going up and down, lights flashing, wiper fluid spraying everywhere, and the car actually started up w/O the key in the ignition and we do not have a remote starter on the vehicle. I arrived and removed the battery cable and it all stopped. After a few minutes I replaced the cable and was able to start the vehicle without incident. I was driving it home at approximately 65 mph and the vehicle suddenly started doing the same thing but the car cut off and I lost all steering and braking ability but was able to coast to the side parkway I was on. I removed the cable and replaced it and drove home without incident took the key out but the van would not shut off. One night of the issue we were awakened by the vehicles horn and when I went outside it was doing the same thing and the car was running in the driveway. She refuses to drive it and now we are stuck with a useless vehicle sitting in the driveway.. fed up with this situation there needs to be someone held accountable, dealership was no help at all!! " they say the don't know what the problem is how can that be !"????" seeing that there are thousands of van owners like me with the same problem!!!!!

- Lakewood, NJ, USA

Jul 182015

Town & Country

2008 model year Chrysler Town & Country, approximately 138500 miles. Two separate incidents so far, one day apart. The first incident occurred while stopped at a stop light on July 18, 2015. The vehicle tried to lurch forward (foot firmly on brake pedal, no pressure on gas pedal) and the horn blared intermittently with no user input. The second incident occurred stopped in a parking lot on July 19, 2015. As the driver was exiting the vehicle, the horn began to fire in rapid, short bursts with no pressure on the steering wheel. The wipers activated, and the wiper fluid nozzles began spraying fluid. The air conditioning system also remained on with the key fully removed shortly before the incident, which is not intended behavior nor is it a feature of the vehicle in question. These problems are symptoms of tipm failure, and relate to the current NHTSA action number DP14004. I no longer feel safe driving my own car. I can't guarantee it will sit still in a parking lot, even without the key in the ignition.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Apr 262015

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. While driving at 55 mph, the windshield wipers activated independently and the radio failed to function. In addition, the contact stated that the gauges, meters and lights on the instrument cluster panel failed to function. The contact also stated that the doors failed to unlock using the fobik. As a result, the contact had to manually unlock the doors. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the totally integrated power module (tipm) needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 11V139000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 88,000.

- St Charles, MO, USA

Nov 172014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Pushed the unlock button on the key fob one day and the horn started blaring, windshield washer spraying, front and rear wipers running, doors locking/unlocking. I had to get the hard key out of the fob to unlock the doors and pop the hood to disconnect the battery. The problem cleared randomly. This has happened about 7 times. I finally decided to pull the fuses for the horn as not to annoy the neighbors. The next time it went off, I heard clicking noises from the fuse box under the hood. I tapped the fuse box the problem stopped. I don't notice anything suspicious that might be causing this. This has also happened while driving creating a dangerous situation. The problem has also been triggered while trying to open the door while locked. Based on the other complaints, I think this really needs to be a recall. The vehicle is great otherwise. It is a shame when you think you have a good vehicle and then something like this happens. I do not feel safe driving my family in the van.

- Tinker Afb, OK, USA

Aug 052014

Town & Country

While driving at various speeds the warning bell sounds, then the air bag warning icon lights, then all other warning icons light, then all gauges go dead for about a second, the the front wipers swipe 2-4 times. After that, if the air bag warning icon light stays on, the entire process will reoccur every few minutes. Sometimes it will stop after a few iterations, sometimes it will go on for hours. The problem seams to be more prevalent after the vehicle has been parked in the hot sun. Sometimes, disconnecting the battery's negative cable for at least 30 minutes will reset it until it is parked in the sun.

- Lithia, FL, USA

Jan 252015

Town & Country 6-cyl

Wife stated that she went to her car to leave from work and once she got close to the vehicle the horn began blaring non stop, wipers running, fluid spurting out, dash lights going on and off and door locks going up and down. I arrived and removed the battery cable and it stopped. I replaced the cable a short time later and was able to start the vehicle and I started driving it home and as I got up to about 30 mph it did it again and this time the car cut off and I lost steering and brakes but was able to come to a stop on the side of the busy street I was on. I removed the key from the ignition and got out of the vehicle at which point I noticed that the car had cut back on and was actually running without the key in the ignition. I drove it home without further incident. At 3 am the same night we were awakened by the vehicles horn blaring in the driveway. I went outside and it was doing the same thing that my wife originally stated but the car was actually running without a key being anywhere near it - we do not have the remote start installed on the vehicle. My wife and I refuse to drive it due to the fact that if the above problems happen at 70 mph we would probably be dead.

- Wilmington, NC, USA

Dec 232014

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving our van's horn began to go on and off by itself, the wiper blades began to run, and worst of all the dash was blinking on and off. This was a scary situation to be in on the road with my kids. It was very hard to concentrate and frustrating with no answers given.

- New Ulm , MN, USA

Oct 062013

Town & Country 6-cyl

On 10/06/2013 our 2008 Chrysler Town and country touring edition (without alarm system) was parked under carport and for no reason the horn started honking (beep...beep..beep..constantly), both front and rear wipers & washers started running, door locks started continuously locking/unlocking, and gauges in dash were showing random and unusual readings. On 12/18/2014 while on the road with cruise control set at 65M.P.H. the horn started honking in the same manner, wipers/washers started running, and dash gauges malfunctioned. In both instances the only way to shut it all off was to disconnect the battery for a few days. There have been a few occasions when the horn randomly starts honking in the same manner but stops after just a few seconds.

- Binger, OK, USA

Nov 112014

Town & Country

While driving with the children to go home we were traveling at 25 mph and all of the sudden the horn was blaring then the windshields (front and back) start going and next windshield wiper fluid is pouring out non stop. I'm checking the controls and they are all on off. I pull over and turn the car off and take the keys out and the van still continues to have a fit. Time passes and it stops. We sit on the side with keys out of the car for about a half hour and the van continues to random spurts. I notice the lock on the open door is still in lock position, I press the key control for unlock and wiper fluid comes out. I wait longer and call the dealership. After 20 more minutes I start car. I turn off radio and drive home (5 min drive).

- Abingdon, MD, USA

Jun 162014

Town & Country 6-cyl

It started off horn blowing wipers going off and washer fluid squirting in the driveway no one in it. Then started doing that while driving at different speeds from standing still to 65 mph. Also has like lost transmission, it would shutter like losing power, then be ok. It has shuttered at red lights horn going wipers going water spurting and stall out. I had a fairly new battery and it drained it and tested bad. The a.C. goes off well the fan motor control does. My wife is afraid to drive the vehicle. It possessed. That's what we call it. I can for see this could cause a serious accident. My teenage daughter drives it to some times and not being a experienced driver like an adult im afraid to let her drive it.thank for litening. Im reading on line this is happening to a lot of other people.

- St Cloud, FL, USA

Jul 112014

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country.the contact stated while driving approximately 25 mph, the windshield wipers independently. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic however, the mechanic was not able to diagnose problem. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 134,000.

- Cedarburg , WI, USA

Jul 192014

Town & Country

On 7/19 and 7/21 I put my van in park and removed the key. Upon doing so, the horn continued to blow and the front and rear wipers ran at high speed. On 7/19, after immediately opening the hood, it stopped. On 7/21, I started the van back up and it continued to honk/wipers on. Drove it across the street to have a mechanic look at it. Again, turned it off and took key out, but it still continued. We opened the hood and the mechanic opened the fuse box. It stopped. The mechanic ran a scan to see if anything would come up as a problem with the electrical system. Nothing showed up. My van was just recently added to the recall list for the ignition. Is this a result of the need for a new ignition switch? not sure what I will do if it doesn't shut off.

- Pendleton, IN, USA