2008 Chrysler Town & Country brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 3 of 13)

Mar 012011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to a local repair facility for routine repairs when he was advised that the brakes were wearing prematurely. The mechanic advised replacing the brakes and rotors. The manufacturer was not contacted. The vehicle was repaired. The failure and current mileage was 39,502.

- Hatboro, PA, USA

Feb 142011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Recurring failure of brake calipers in left rear wheel of 2008 Chrysler Town & Country van. There were two failures in 38000 miles within three years.

- Lawrence, MA, USA

Feb 152009

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 to 30 mph another driver warned him that there was smoke coming from underneath the vehicle. The vehicle was then taken to a dealer who advised him that he needed to replace the front brakes and rotors. The vehicle was repaired. The failure recurred within eight months. The vehicle was taken to the dealer again and the failure was not diagnosed since corporate had to approve the diagnostic test. The failure mileage was approximately 100. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bel Air, MD, USA

Sep 152009

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. While driving at any speed the contact would applied pressure to the brake pedal and heard a grinding noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the front rotors and brake pads were replaced. The failure continued and was taken back to the dealer where the front and back rotors and brake pads were replaced; however, the grinding noise continued to occur. A technician advised that the front and back rotors and brake pads would need to be replaced. The contact stated they have owned the vehicle for approximately two years and have had these repairs made three times. The manufacturer was not contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- Brentwood, NH, USA

Jan 212011

Town & Country

The contact owns 2008 Chrysler town and country. The contact was driving approximately 70 mph when the contact heard a loud humming noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. When the contact stopped the vehicle, he could smell a burning odor. He stated that the rim of the rear passenger side was abnormally hot. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the rotors and brake pads were replaced. The technician stated that there was only five percent of the brakes left and the rotors were severely rusted. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 22,800.

- Venice, FL, USA

Jan 192011

Town & Country

I wish to complain about my 2008 Chrysler Town and country's constant brake problems. I have both front and rear brakes fully replaced at 30,000 mile only to fail inspection less than 12,000 miles later that the pads as well as the rotors need to be replaced again at my expense because although it was under 12,000 miles(the warranty) I was 39 days over 12 months. My research has shown multiple complaint on this vehicle for this exact problem resulting is a prorated authorized reimbursement from Chrysler back in July. This is happening again after the "one time reimbursement" and the dealership wants over 400 for the repair or they will not pass the inspection. Please look into this and the 1000's of other complaints about the Town and country 2008 for costly cheap factory and replacement brakes. A recall is a must!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Medford, NY, USA

Jan 012010

Town & Country

Brakes on 2008 Chrysler Town and country are too small for the vehicle weight. I have replaced all brake pads and rotors three times in 37000 miles. Safety recall required.

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Dec 242010

Town & Country 6-cyl

2008 Chrysler town and country touring rear brakes pads and rotors need replacing at 26,000 miles.

- Shorewood, WI, USA

Dec 102010

Town & Country 8-cyl

I have a 2008 Chrysler Town and country, I have several ABS problems. Not only the ABS warning light comes on but the slippery when wet light comes on a dry surface and I can't get past 20 mph and the brakes feel like their are not working properly even though I have new brakes. Also the esp light comes on all of the time and the dealer told it is not covered under any type of warranty.

- Sun City, CA, USA

May 152010

Town & Country

The contact owns 2008 Chrysler town and country. The contact was driving approximately 55 mph and applied the brakes as the vehicle exhibited an abnormal grinding noise. The vehicle was later taken to the dealer for diagnosis of the failure where the front brake components were replaced. The front and rear brake pads failed shortly following repairs. The vehicle was taken back to the same dealer for repairs. The brake pads rotors and calipers were replaced. The failure occurred four additional times. The vehicle continued to make a grinding noise when the brakes were applied. The dealer stated that the noise was normal and the vehicle did not indicate any additional failures. The approximate failure mileage was 17,000.

- Shorewood, IL, USA

Sep 152009

Town & Country 6-cyl

2008 Chrysler T & C brakes failing & need to be replaced @ 20000 miles & 12 mo. Of ownership. Had replaced by dealer & needs to be replaced again after just 13 mos. & 20000 miles more. Chrysler admits to a flaw- the brakes too small for size & weight of vehicle. Brakes need to be recalled & Chrysler needs to fix flaw.

- Skippack, PA, USA

Jul 062010

Town & Country

We bought this van used in March 2010. It has been the worst vehicle we have ever purchased. Prior to this 2008 model, we had a 2005. We really liked it so we figured we'd upgrade so to speak. That was the most expensive mistake ever. Since then we have replaced the brakes and rotors twice and now it needs rear brake rotors. When I am braking at any speed the van shakes. The van feels completely unbalanced for some reason. We had an alignment done on it, new tires, A/C line broke, radio would stop working, and once while I was driving the van had this weird white smoke coming out of the vents. The steering is absolutely horrible and it either pulls to the left or right. When I brake, I have to push the brake all the way down before it finally starts to slow. I have 5 young children and I feel extremely unsafe in this van. Unfortunately not only are we wasting money on repairs, but we're wasting precious time in dealerships/mechanics that could be spent together as a family. I refuse to drive higher speeds in fear that the brakes will fail. In no way do I handle this vehicle in an aggressive manner. I follow all speed limits and do not ride the brakes. This is not I repeat not normal wear on tear for any kind of vehicle! the dealership has been no help to us. We have a bumper to bumper extended warranty and it's doing no good since it's not even covered. We will never ever purchase a Chrysler vehicle again and go out of our way to discourage others from buying them as well. I find it very disgusting that Chrysler is not doing anything to rectify this problem. I have very precious cargo as I'm sure many others do as well. How many people have to be injured or perish before they take action"??" absolutely ridiculous!

- Williamston, MI, USA

Nov 062010

Town & Country 6-cyl

Brakes are wearing extremely bad, called them the dealership first time I noticed this happened. They told me it is not there concern if it is over 12,000 miles. I bought this used with 18,000 miles and when it got to 20,000 I had trouble. So I replaced the brakes myself since I have been a mechanic for 24 years.now they have worn so bad that they are in the rotors and I have the paper work from the dealership saying it is not safe to drive, notified Chrysler and get the run around on this. They will not help me on this. I had to drive home with my kids in this car because they would not repair something that they have admitted that its there fault. Bad brake system on the van. This is a safety item that must be looked into.

- Amherst, VA, USA

Jul 252010

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler Town & Country minivan. Around 17,000 miles the van started making noise when applying the brakes took it in and the brake pads were replaced, then less than 300 miles later it was screeching and the brake pads & rotors had to be replaced. I filed a complaint then ODI id number : 10326711. To their credit, Chrysler did reimburse us. Now in July 2010, the brakes are making noises and we take it to Chrysler and they told us it needs new brake pads an rotors again, this is less than 6,000 miles later. However the rotors are on backorder and will not be in until late August. It is now October 26th, 3 months later and we have just been told for the fifth straight time that the rotors are still on backorder and they do not expect them until sometime in November. Our car now shakes and shimmies and squeals & screeches when we apply the brakes. This cannot be good for the vehicle and has to be affecting the wheels, axles, bearings, etc not to mention whatever else on the car is getting shaken out of place. I feel it is a rolling deathtrap and should not even be allowed on the highway. Chrysler has admitted they have brake problems and sent out letters to assist with paying for new brakes however, making someone wait for over 3 months for brake parts is criminal! the dealership where we have been trying to get the parts says they are so sorry but this has been an on going problem with the Chrysler minivans. We even called the dealership in a town about 60 miles away and they too confirmed the rotors are on backorder. Please investigate this and step in and do something before serious accidents and injuries occur.

- Cumberland, MD, USA

Sep 302010

Town & Country 6-cyl

I took the vehicle to dealership service department on June 16th to diagnose a "howling" noise, which began a few months before as an occasional noise, and was now occurring almost continuously. I said I thought it was coming from the rear brakes. The noise occurred while driving, not while braking. They found nothing wrong with the brakes, and said the noise was due to the wear on the tires. I did not have the tires replaced at the time, and continued to drive it with the noise. During the next few months, I occasionally noticed a burning smell. Also getting very poor mpg; 14.3. I applied and released the emergency brakes while parked, and the noise stopped for a few days. The noise eventually became less frequent, and was almost completely gone, when the brake indicator light came on. Took it back to the dealer service shop on Sept 19, 2010. This time, they found that the rear brakes pads were completely worn out; the brakes were inch worn into the metal. The front brakes also needed to be replaced, and were covered by the extended warranty (less $100 deductible). I filed a complaint with Chrysler, and was told they would reimburse cost of replacing back brakes & rotors this time. The dealer did not replace calipers, only "clean/lube caliper slides & apply brake quiet". dealer insists that the calipers were not stuck or causing problems -said if they get stuck, they stay stuck. My brother and I each bought new vehicles in Jan 2008; he got a 2008 Dodge Grand Caravan, and I got a 2008 Town & Country. He was having the exact same problems. He took his back brakes apart to diagnose the problem. He found the calipers were a new design; the pistons "screw" in & out, rather than the usual clamp & release, or pinch design. The pistons were sometimes not releasing, which caused the brakes to be applied even while the vehicle was being driven for long periods on highway, which caused the noise & bad gas mileage. Chrysler needs to recall/replace caliper design.

- Blasdell, NY, USA

Feb 012010

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40-45 mph on numerous occasions, the brake system suddenly activated; there was no prior warning before the failure. The vehicle was taken to two authorized dealers but the failure could not be diagnosed. The contact called the manufacturer who took his complaint. The failure mileage was approximately 11,000 and the current mileage was 14,500.

- Vancouver , WA, USA

Jul 162008

Town & Country

I purchased a 2008 town and country in 2008, and since then have changed the brake pads 5 times and rotors 2X. One minute your driving fine, next minute the brakes are grinding and the car begins to shake. I contacted Chrysler directly about this issue and to them how I use the van to drive my nine year around and they told me that I had to take up that issue with the dealer. I went to the dealer, and they told me that only Chrysler could do something because they were aware of the problem that this vehicle was experiencing. They told me that they were experiencing complaints about the cars brakes on a daily basis. As a result, Chrysler sent out a letter to replace the brakes for anyone who owned one at their cost for 1 time only. How about for the life of the car? vehicle is dangerous to drive.

- New Iwndsor, NY, USA

Sep 302010

Town & Country

I own a 2008 Town & Country minivan. Had received a notice that the front brakes may need to be replaced. I took my car into the dealership and they stated that not only were the front brakes pads & calipers were bad but the rear brake pads & calipers were bad as well and had to be replaced as a cost of over $300. For major safety parts as brakes and failing in less than 2 years is very bad workmanship and Chrysler should reimburse for the rear brakes as well. The brakes are a continuing bad safety part for Chrysler.

- Whitewater, WI, USA

Oct 042008

Town & Country

I have a 2008 Chrysler Town and country minivan with 44,000 miles, mostly used for city driving. We have had to replace the front brakes 3 times now and the rear once. The rotors have to be replaced all the way around this time, which is excessive for a vehicle with this many miles.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Sep 072008

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler town and country. The contact was driving approximately 60 mph when the vehicle lost coolant fluid and the brakes failed. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer yet the dealer was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was taken to second dealer where the front brake rotors and pads were replaced. The failure recurred one month later. The contact stated the brake pads and rotors were replaced three times to no avail. The contact stated that both sliding doors would become jammed and he would have to remove the battery cable to restart the computer for the doors to close properly. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure mileage was 19,000 and the current mileage was 53,000.

- East Haven, CT, USA