2008 Chrysler Town & Country brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 8 of 13)

Mar 082010

Town & Country

Brakes on 2008 Chrysler Town and country worn at 20,000 miles. The dealer informed me this is normal wear and tear but I have had several vehicles that the brakes have lasted more than 40,000 miles. I now need new pads at 20,000 miles and possibly new rotors.

- Saint Robert , MS, USA

Mar 082010

Town & Country

A 2008 Chrysler T&C touring (top of the line) has had premature brake wear. After 17,000 miles the brakes are down to less then 5 % of useful life, according to many internet posts this has been a recurring problem for many owners. The current repair is estimated to be around $400 us. The fear is that this failure will re-occur since the brakes seem to be undersized fro the vehicle weight and size. The Chrysler dealer is unwilling to fix this under warranty.

- Georgetown, MA, USA

Mar 012010

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler Town and country brakes. I called about brakes before factory warranty, I was told warranty did not cover brakes. Had front rotors and brakes repaired. Two weeks later back brakes and rotors replaced. Two weeks later, brakes started squealing again.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Feb 242010

Town & Country

Brakes and rotors had to be replaced at 18K miles. The garage who replaced it showed it to my husband and told him they were cheap parts. Two tires had to be replaced as well at the same mileage. Tires put on by Chrysler are yokohama tires and are junk! I can also feel a movement under my drivers side car mat in the floor when I stop at a stop sign and make a left turn, something moves underneath as I am turning the steering wheel, I need to contact dealer for this to see what the problem is.

- Kulpmont, PA, USA

Mar 052010

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler Town and country had to have brakes pads and rotors replaced at 22700 miles.

- Prospect, KY, USA

Feb 272010

Town & Country

After taking my family on a 3,000 + mile trip to Florida and back to Michigan through the mountains, I took my 2008 Chrysler Town and country mini-van into meade Dodge in grosse pointe, mi in for an oil change, tire rotation and warranty work to address issues that arose with the air conditioning and automatic sliding door during the trip. During the 23 point inspection that the dealership performs with the oil change, the service rep contacted me about a known frequent issue with pre-mature wear of the rotors and breaking pads on the Town and country mini-vans. The service representative mentioned it being a known problem that they see frequently on these vehicles and that Chrysler authorized the work being completed with a $100 consumer co-pay to have the work completed. My concern is that the public or owners of the vans were not notified. I took a long trip with my family in the vehicle that contained parts with a known defect that could have resulted in an accident if the breaking system failed. My van currently has approximately 21,000 miles on it. I want to make your department aware that this may be an issue affecting all new Town and country vans sold. In discussing this incident with a co-worker, he mentioned a similar issue with his 1998 Town and country van.

- Grosse Pointe Farms, MI, USA

Feb 272010

Town & Country

Premature brake wear on 2008 Chrysler Town and country mini-van. Brakes need replacement with less than 17K miles on car.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Feb 162010

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler Grand Caravan front brakes fail @ 25,000 miles.

- Commerce, MI, USA

Feb 182010

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler T&C brake issues: I had the brakes replaced at 23,000 miles and now at 30,000 the brakes are squeaking again. I was told by the dealer that it is normal wear and tear. My other vehicle has 130,000 mile and the brakes have only been replaced once. I have read many complaints about this and I am nervous to have my family drive in the vehicle. I have read about the calipers locking up as well, this could cause a very dangerous situation on the highway as well as defeat the ABS feature. This needs to be investigated by NHTSA if Chrysler is failing to recognize and correct the issue.

- Watkinsville, GA, USA

Feb 162010

Town & Country

Premature wearout of front brake pads on 2008 Town & Country; pads are wearing out between 12,000 miles and 20,000 miles.

- Scottsdale, AZ, USA

Feb 122010

Town & Country

Brakes failing after only 13,000 miles on new car.

- North Augusta, SC, USA

Jan 032010

Town & Country

2008 T&C touring with 16,000 miles on it. Front brakes shot due to caliper failure. Dealer fixed under warranty. Dealer replaced calipers, rotors, pads and any other damaged component. Noticed a noise from back brakes a week later. Took back to dealer and they turned the back rotors. Hope they last more than 16,000 miles this time.

- Shelby, OH, USA

Feb 152010

Town & Country

Saturday, Feb. 13th I noticed a small squeaking in my front brakes. Sunday, Feb 14th, there started a grinding noise that would come and go. Took it to the shop this morning and was informed @ 28,000 miles my vehicle needed new rotors and brake pads. I had them replaced at cost but I did voice my displeasure, made a complaint with the company. I am not sure if the parts are available but I had the work done Feb. 15, 2010 @ 9:00 am. Problem is not with dealership but with the fact that after doing some research that this is a common problem and the car company is not willing to resolve this issue. There is a known tsb out there about the wear of the rotors (05-006-08).

- Livonia, MI, USA

Feb 092010

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler Town and country needs new brakes and rotors at 24K miles. Was told it was normal wear and tear, but after researching online, I have found this is a major problem with this year's model. People are being told brakes are getting an average of 12K miles - outrageous.

- Bowie, TX, USA

Dec 292009

Town & Country

I bought a brand new 2008 Chrysler Town and country van in Nov 2008. After about a year, Dec 2009 my van started shaking badly during braking. It had 17,050 mi (mostly highway miles). I brought the van into a Chrysler dealership for inspection. They told me the brakes were 100% shot and I needed a complete brake replacement (rotors, pads, flush, etc.) which cost me $650. I called Chrysler complaining that brakes on a new vehicle should not wear out on a vehicle with less than 17K miles (especially the rear brakes). Chrysler told me this was normal but would look into it. After a month I've not heard back. I've owned a 1992 and 1999 Chrysler vans and never had these brake problems. The front brakes on my older vans lasted over 35K miles and the rear lasted over 50K miles. My neighbor owns a 2006 Town & Country and has had only 2 brake jobs in 80K miles. Apparently he brake design did not change much from the 2007 model however the 2008 gained a lot of weight (new model) which contributed to the premature brake failure. Minimally, Chrysler should have notified me of the premature brake failures but never did. I've checked safety complaints on your ODI website and saw 85 complaints for brakes on the 2008 T&C. I also checked complaints for earlier years and only saw only a very few brake complaints. I've checked the internet and found hundreds upon hundreds of complaints related to brake problems on the 08 T&C. so here's my summary: 1) I never expected the brakes to go at such low mileage so if I needed to do an emergency stop I probably would have had an accident. 2) apparently there was a design flaw but Chrysler refuses to admit it 3) Chrysler is silently reimbursing owners who file the loudest complaints. ODI: You have all these brake complaints for the 08 T&C so how is it that Toyota is getting bashed for their brakes but Chrysler continues to produce their vans with defective brakes"????"

- San Diego, CA, USA

Feb 062009

Town & Country

I had to have the brakes and rotors changed on my T & C at 28,000 miles. Within 24 hours of the initial brake noise, the brakes were making a grinding noise. When the mechanic looked the brake pads disintegrated in his hand. The rotors had a groove in them so they had to be replaced. I have now been told that brakes and rotors on this model will need to be changes every 15 to 20K miles. Obviously this not an acceptable length on time for the pads must less the rotors to last.

- Snellville, GA, USA

Feb 052010

Town & Country

Chrysler Town and country with 27,000 miles female daily driver...front wheel bearing failure. Dealer first claimed front bearing on one side of vehicle failed which led them to replacing bearings on both sides of vehicle. Dealer also first claimed brakes and rotors on one side of vehicle have failed then changed story to brakes on both sides of vehicle needing to be replaced.

- New Baltimore, MI, USA

Feb 052010

Town & Country

I took my 2008 Town and country to Chrysler to get inspection at my dealer and come to find out the front brakes just past inspection. They were completly worn out at 27,000 miles and needs replacing. The service said it was normal. I told them the are all interatate miles and 2 trips from va to ark. I could see if I lived where there was stop and go traffic but I do not. I called Chrysler and filed a complaint and they said they would contact my dealer and see if they could help me out financially to fix this problem. I have searched the internet and found out that people have even got less miles on theres. Some as low as 11,000 miles. I believe they have a major braking problem with the 2008 model and it really needs some attention from you all to make them fix this problem. I am sure I am not the first to complain.

- West Point, VA, USA

Feb 062010

Town & Country

Extreme brake wear and fade; complete falure and diagnostic failure codes at 35,588 miles.Chrysler T&C brake concern: (brake system blog response 02/06/2010) tayers having been in the industry as well as being a fse (field service engineer) for the big 3, I am really upset!! believe it or not I returned from a 2005 bullet proof T&C only to buy a new 2008 loaded. Expecting the same, if not improved experience, the brake design and metering is totally unacceptable. Having changed the front brake pads at 23,000 miles only as a pm preventive maintenance move, at 35,388 the whole front system will now have to be replaced. The industry did go through major brake redesigns when asbestos was removed back in 1995 causing the entire industry to re-think and re-design brake systems. Dvp (design verification & prove out) is required, someone blew it and should be fired! having owned and serviced over two hundred and fifty cars, I have never seen such a deplorable release to the general public. It's really a shame but daimler Chrysler should step up to this issue or take the T&C out of production all together. Just reading all these blogs will convince NHTSA eventually that they need to react. While you and I may find the T&C a great vehicle in the market segment, the brake system is not, nor should not have been released! whoever designed this system and says they tested and proved it out had to be smoking !@#$% this van had the ability to stand above any foreign competition and to have this put a black mark on what should be a best seller is a crime.

- Northville, MI, USA

Jan 152009

Town & Country

I purchased a 2008 Chrysler T&C in September of 2008. The van first had a problem with front breaks at 18K miles. I had them replaced at 23K miles, then had those replaced under warranty at 34K miles. I went back to the dealer for front brakes again at 39K miles and they turned down the rotors and replaced the pads. At the same time my rear brakes needed to be done, and I had previously been told I would be taken care of due to all these issues, but a new tech tried to hit me for a full cost, so I, with some help, did the job by myself. I'm now back to needing new front brakes, at 47K miles. I'll do the job myself, but the lack of concern from the dealer has been disappointing. I've been told previously from the dealer tech that Chrysler knows about the problem of undersizing the brakes, but isn't doing anything about it. Some might argue due to poor sales from 2009, but I believe it would mean a large recall and cost to the company, which is now owned by the government. I've owned 2 previous Chrysler mini vans, a '1999 model, and 2005 model, the best of them was the '99 for service and repairs. Unless something changes for Chrysler this will be the last product I own from them. I'm sure you've seen similar complaints from other Chrysler minivan owners.

- Lancaster, PA, USA