2008 Chrysler Town & Country electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 51 of 55)

Aug 272012

Town & Country

Along with the hundreds of complaints, I too have a problem with horn, lighting, wipers and fluid, car running with no key in ignition etc. While out of town the car had these happen and brought to a certified Chrysler shop. They diagnosed as a bad battery connection after a mechanic driving to his home and back. I was sent on my way after paying $100. Not a large amount but silly when you have to bring the car to my local shop for the same problem three days later. This time it happened while driving at night in the middle of the road. I am appalled by how many complaints have been filed and there has not been a recall on this could be fatal defective part that is shutting down a car with no warning while driving. What do 90% of mini van drivers have in common? children!!! how unsafe and absurd. Fyi my car is going to be fixed under an extended warranty but this is a major safety concern for anyone that drives a Chrysler van.

- Kenosha, WI, USA

Sep 012012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Yes I having and issue with my wife's 2008 Chrysler Town and country minivan, about a week ago the ignition module where the key fob sits while driving, has been shifting to the off position on its own while the vehicle is in motion, thus taking power away from the steering and braking system. It has created two incidents where my wife ran off the road dented the left sliding door and scratched the van up, and the other incident was when she was back up it shut down and she slammed into the park vehicle and dented the rear tail gate cause she was not able to bring it to a stop, no damage to other vehicle was made. So we had the vehicle towed to the nearest Chrysler dealership, and found out that several thousand of these vehicles are under recall, except my year/model they start the recall one year newer than my model which has the same type of ignition module, inwhich I am having the same exact safety issue as the newer model. I was informed by the dealership that to repair it back to whole, that is a new module, and 2 new keys are they old keys wont work that it will cost me $800... this is absurd, this is safety issue, and the recall needs to be widened to allow all models with these junk ignition modules to be replaced for the safety of the general public. I don't think I should have to pay for a serious safety issue as this, when my model of vehicle certainly should have been included, as it has the same problem. I have contacted Chrysler headquarters and filed a formal complaint, now I am waiting to see how they handle this.

- Saint Cloud, FL, USA

Sep 242011

Town & Country

While camping with the van off and the keys out of the vehicle. Horn started honking. Windshield wipers started going. Washer fluid started to spray. Hazards started to flash. Started and shut off the van to no avail of stopping all the commotion. Finally unhooked the battery to make it stop. Took it to the dealer 2 days later and they found nothing wrong. One week later while my wife was driving the van. All of the devices again turned on for no reason. She pulled over and shut off the vehicle. After 5 minutes it finally stopped. When she started driving it again and when she started to drive it would not shift out of 3 gear. She pulled over and shut it off. Started it up again and it worked fine. 3 days later my wife and kids took it and all the devices turned on again out in the parking lot with the van off and keys out of it. When she started the van it would only run for like 20 seconds and then quit running. Tried it numerous time to no avail. She wait 30 minutes while I was driving to pick them up. She started it again and it work fine. It still acts up about ever 2 to 3 days. Dealership says it cant fix the problem cause it cant find anything wrong and cant reproduce the problem.

- Monticello, MN, USA

Sep 012012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Our 2008 Town and country LX is experiencing problems with the windshield wipers, horn, dash board lights and radio. When the drivers side door is opened, all of the above items are happening. The dealership where we bought it (not a Chrysler dealer) suggested we take it to a Chrysler dealer to have the tipm (totally integrated power module) replaced as only the Chrysler dealers can do this. After reading so many posts, it appears there are close to 3,000 people having the same problem. I wanted to officially file the complaint but will conduct further research before shelling out $500-1000 to the dealership as thousands of others have. 50% of the problems I read about stated that the tipm didn't totally solve the problem. Thank you

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Aug 252012

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving the car started honking, wipers turned on and wiper fluid ejected. Parked car and symptoms continued after the key was removed for several minutes more. Fan/ac system not working as well. Drove a bit more stopped car and while out of car all previously mentioned things occurred again. In addition the car unlocked and locked spontaneously. Turned car on and off but car did not turn off when key was removed. The car remained on for several minutes more before stopping. We removed the fuse for the horn and continued driving. With the car parked in our driveway the wipers continued turning on and off. We disconnected the battery and have scheduled an appointment with Chrysler. The car is unsafe to drive and will have to be towed to the dealership. The dealership will charge up to $120 to evaluate the problem.

- Ramsey, NJ, USA

Jul 022012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that the horn and the windshield wipers activated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection who was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the dealer was unable to diagnose the problem. The failure mileage was 30,000.

- Buffalo, NY, USA

Jul 142012

Town & Country 6-cyl

My car acts possessed. The horn honks, wipers are on at full speed with fluid spraying everywhere, the locks go crazy (locking and unlocking by themselves), if the car is in motion the motor dies in traffic. This has happened several times since July 14, 2012. (at least 5 times per week). Last night the fan motor came on by itself and ran the battery down. We had to unplug the fan motor to get it to stop. Hopefully we can find out what is causing this issue.

- Dexter, KY, USA

Sep 162009

Town & Country 6-cyl

General electrical malfunction that makes vehicle unsafe. While driving down the highway, the horn started honking uncontrollably and without provocation. Even worse, the front windshield wipers and washers also activated making forward visibility difficult especially given we were heading East early in the morning. And, the door locks also cycled up and down. The dealer ran some diagnostics and also communicated the problem to the factory. The dealer had said that the factory thought the electrical problem originated from the tipm but they were not sure and said the cost would be $500. Because of the high cost of the repair and the unsurety that the problem would be fixed, I did not have them replace the tipm. The problem occurred again soon after and so I pulled the two horn fuses. Of course, that stopped the horn problem, but it also seemed to stop the washer/wiper and door lock problem. In June of this year, there was a recall about the electrical system the involved water getting into some parts of the air bag system. It was thought that this might be the indirect cause of my problem after all and so I reinstalled the horn fuses. Not too long after, the original horn-blaring, washer/wiper activity and door locking and unlocking returned. This time, after pulling the horn fuses, I went to the dealer to see about getting this dangerous problem fixed. They said that the electrical part was backordered (by some 450 parts!) and that they would call me. That was a month ago and still no call. So, even after deciding to fix the problem, Chrysler is not supplying the parts to do so! it is dangerous to drive with no horn or wipers! does Chrysler have some 450 of these dangerous problems reported and not doing anything about it? with the inherent dangerous nature of the problems, I think there should be a recall. So this is why I am writing you.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jul 182012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that while stopped, the horn began to sound, the locks began to unlock and lock, and the windshield wipers activated. The contact maneuvered to a parking spot and shut the engine off. The engine continued to run while the key was removed from the ignition. The contact had to disconnect the battery in order to stop the engine from running. The vehicle was towed to an independent repair shop and they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure recurred a few days later. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,000.

- Catonsville, MD, USA

Jul 192012

Town & Country 6-cyl Diesel

While waiting on my husband to run in a store I was sitting in the van engine running. I touched nothing and the van went off. The doors locked, wipers, cleaning fluid, horn and it was scary. My husband released the hood and disconnected the battery cable. We could not start van without all going off again. We called a tow and van taken to auto repair shop. They checked it out and said it needed a new safety electronic component. They said van was to dangerous to drive, and it would take 3 months for the part. It is now in our garage with battery disconnected. This is our only way of transportation and what are we to do now" how are we to get to appointments, grocery and whatever"

- Kokomo, IN, USA

Sep 132010

Town & Country 6-cyl

While sitting in the parking lot of the supermarket, with the engine off, the horn sounded continuously, the front and rear wipers started running and the washer fluid sprayed the rear window continuously. I opened the hood of the car and tugged on the power lead going into the tipm and everything stopped. Another time I was driving the van when all of the systems mentioned started going again. I pulled the van over, turned off the engine and exited the van with my keys in my pocket. I opened the hood to tug on the power lead again, but to my surprise the engine was still running (without the key in the ignition and the ignition off!) I tugged the power lead and all systems stopped and the engine shut down. I started the car, reset the wipers and was on my way. I've had this van to my mechanic several times now and he's still having problems getting it fixed. This is going on intermittently for 2 years. When I first had the problem, I brought to Chrysler and they said it was a dirty battery terminal (not true) then they said it was a loose connection at the computer (not true) then the warranty ran out, and they said to leave the van and they would do some tests on the van and that it could cost about 800 dollars if it was the computer or a module. I didn't leave it because I don't trust them. Why isn't there a recall on the problem" I've had the van die while I was driving, thankfully it was on a side street and not while I was attempting to enter a highway. There are many people on the internet with the same exact problem and nothing is being done. Now Chrysler is saying that the tipm could be defective from the manufacturer and they are trying to locate another company to make them. They are on back order. Why should the consumer be responsible for a manufacturers defect" please help!

- Whitestone, NY, USA

May 312011

Town & Country

Cargo sliding door track broken apart first occurred about one year ago. Track easily snapped back together. Recently became chronic problem and track /harness deformed and unable to snap together. Description: When closing door via remote, the door stops closing about 4 inches before shut and returns open. Usualy closes afterseveral attempt but often have to close manually. The wiring track / harness was broken apart. Took to dealer for repair and part replaced. The next day the same thing occurred and track observed to be separated again. Taking back to dealer tomorrow. Has had previous recall on doors.

- Prospect, KY, USA

Jul 012012

Town & Country 6-cyl

When opening door after unlocking and disengaging alarm, horn abruptly comes on continuously and wipers start. Pulled battery cable to shut off. Imagine if I had been driving and this happened. Could have caused a crash with me or others. Afraid to even drive it to the dealer for repair. What if it locked my child in the car in the summer heat? this should be a mandatory recall immediately!!!!!

- Newmarket, NH, USA

Apr 282012

Town & Country

My tipm module needs to be replaced but since there is a national shortage for this part. I like thousands of others have to wait 6-9 months before there will be any available. This part has been on back order for a very long time. Chrysler is very lucky that no one has been seriously hurt.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jun 152012

Town & Country 6-cyl

The vehicle was parked at the time of the incident, with doors unlocked. The vehicle suddenly locked the doors, began sounding the horn, front/back windshield wipers turned on, and lights began flashing. I initially believed the alarm system was going off, but the vehicle would not unlock with the use of the key. After about five minutes, it appeared that power was failing and the vehicle began leaking out all of the windshield wiper fluid in front/back. Soon after, the power seemed to die, but the front end of the vehicle (under the battery) continued to make a clicking noise. The vehicle will not power on with the use of the key, and the car had to be manually unlocked on the drivers side. When researching similar symptoms on the internet, it was found that this is a manufacturer defect and could have occurred while driving, with the loss of steering control and brakes.

- Beaumont, TX, USA

Jun 012012

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the horn of the vehicle will sound independently and the windshield wiper would activate without command. In addition, windshield wiper fluid would spray out sporadically onto the windshield. The vehicle would also lock and could not be unlocked. The contact had to disconnect the battery to reset the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not yet diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted but provided no assistance. The failure mileage was 29,000 and the current mileage was 30,000. The VIN was not available. Updated 08/28/12 the consumer also stated the power steering would also fail. The dealer stated the problem was the tipm. It was replaced. Chrysler did assist with a portion of the repair cost. The consumer paid an $150 deductible and a $97 diagnostic fee. Updated 09/04/2012

- Mount Wolf , PA, USA

Jun 052012

Town & Country 6-cyl

I got into my vehicle the morning of 6/5/12, at approximately 7:45am after dropping my daughter off at daycare to find my vehicle had no radio, air/heat, windows, blinkers brake lights or any other electrical features. I drove it less than a half mile from the daycare to my office, where I shut it off, got out and called my dealership who suggested I should bring it in immediately. After setting up the service call, I got back into the vehicle after less than 30 minutes and everything appeared to work. Upon arriving at the dealership about 15 minutes later, I left it with the service department to review. About 1 day later, it was determined that the tipm (totally integrated power module) was faulty and a new one would need to be put in. Now 9 days later, it is still at the dealership in the service department because no one knows when the part will be available, there appears to be a back order with the supplier and no one at the dealership or so far the mfg. Can get me answers. I did file a complaint/case with Chrysler on 6/12/12 to document my concerns as I have no been without a vehicle for 9 days and need a vehicle in order to function with my day to day activities including work which is approximately a 25 mile commute one way. It was suggested I file a complaint with the NHTSA for it to be on record.

- Milwaukee, WI, USA

May 022012

Town & Country 6-cyl

On May 2, the van would not start after coming out from a restaurant. The interesting thing is that the wipers had been going and the wiper fluid was empty and wiper fluid was all over the windshield and car. The battery was jumped as a short-term fix, but within a few miles (while going approximately 65mph), the car started honking its horn and wipers were going while driving. I quickly exited the highway and pulled into a nearby gas station. At that time, I put the vehicle into park and took the key out. Even after the key was taken out, the vehicle continued to run, honk, and run the wipers. This continued for approximately 3 minutes before it quit by itself. The vehicle was towed to a nearby Firestone center and the battery was replaced. This was unfortunately not the solution because another incident (same symptoms) occurred just 3 days later while driving. Again, my wife got the vehicle to a safe place, but this time, she could not even get the van into the "park? position. She was able to get the key out, but the car continued to run. She had to hold her foot on the brake and finally inserted the metal part of the key to get the engine to turn off and allow her to move it to the ?park? position and safely exit the vehicle.. as you can imagine, this was an expensive incident, but more importantly, it presented a safety issue to me and my family because of the vehicle?S inability to stop and put into ?park" position. It also presented a safety concern driving with the car while it was not in an electronically stable condition and was hazardous to other drivers. I have researched this issue on the internet and see similar complaints.

- Nortonville, KS, USA

May 132012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Initially when I turned the vehicle on the entire instrument panel lit up and I had no gauges, nor could I open my windows or unlock my doors. I disconnected the battery and reconnected it and all the lights went off. A couple of weeks later, on June 1st, June 2nd and again on June 3rd, the instrument panel began lighting up, the wipers went on, the gauge turned off and the windows and doors would not work. This happened continuously the entire time I was driving the car. On June 2nd I again disconnected the battery in the hopes of resetting the computer and it seem to work again until June 3rd when it did it again. This time I was on the road with only my son and was not able to do anything. I hoped that it would stop on its own and it did. I has not happened today, yet. I contacted the dealer and have an appointment set for tomorrow. I am afraid to drive this vehicle, especially with my children in it, since this happens so randomly and from what I am reading it is happening to alot of other consumers, and some are complaining that the car totally shuts down and they have no power. This is a real safety concern!!!

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Apr 022012

Town & Country 6-cyl

On 3 different occasions I experienced an engine shut down while easing foot off accelerator pedal to make a turn or slow down to stop. I experienced a bump and instrument dash lights came on. Once the sound of a bell rang as if the key is left in the ignition. However, when I depressed the accelerator while the vehicle was still moving the engine restarted. I have had a mechanic from a reputable repair shop test drive and run a computer diagnostic check and nothing appeared to be wrong. This problem is definitely a safety problem and need to be corrected by the Chrysler Corp. I have read of other similar complaints/problems.

- Savannah, GA, USA