2008 Chrysler Town & Country miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Chrysler Town & Country:

2008 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 3 of 3)

Nov 012009

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have had several problems with the 2008 Chrysler minivan. Electrical, engine, ignition, etc. I even had the one door not have the sensor go off and pinch my one twins leg into the door! over the years, the ignition switch pops over and stops the car completely while driving at intermittent times. I could be going 20 miles an hour or on the highway driving at a higher rate of speed. The whole van shuts down so if you are on the highway, you can barely steer to get over (and thankfully I have been able to do so). I received a recall notice in June. It is November and my van still isn't fixed. The dealership and Chrysler know that I am having the issue and have had it. I have called and voiced my complaints. I am "number 5" in line to get the part! so, what will Chrysler do when I get rear ended or injured when my vehicle fails to operate. The van shuts off at least once a week while I am driving it. If I didn't have full, lifetime warranty, this van would have been traded in the year after I purchased it. It has been nothing but problems since I have owned it. Chrysler is not doing its job to keep people safe. They have not taken my issue seriously and brush it off as not a big deal. I have a van because I have kids. I would think that safety would be of utmost importance but it falls on deaf ears.

- Smithsburg, MD, USA

Apr 172012

Town & Country 6-cyl

I bought a brand new 2008 Town and country in Dec. 2007. For four years it didn't have a problem except for the whirring sound. This problem of tipm probably appeared about two years ago when the van suddenly overheated along the freeway while driving just about 12 miles from my home. The service center said that there was a leaking hose in the cooling system but I told them that prior to that the wiper just started to move without turning it on. The service center apparently fixed it. But the same thing has been happening on and off. All the service center can say is it is drivable. About two months ago it overheated again, and my wife who was using the car had it towed to the Chrysler service center close to where the car stalled. That is the carpros in renton, Washington, who said that the problem again was the coolant system hose that was leaking, also something about the timing belt that needed to be changed, the cylinder head gasket that needed to be changed. While I have an extended warranty they were charging too much so I had it towed to the service center where I bought the car. This service center fixed the cylinder head, got the car back but still it has the same problem of windshield turning on, lights going on and off in the instrument panel, dinging sound going on and off even while driving, driver seat rocking back and forth. I sent it back to the service center where I bought it from and this time they finally said that it is the tipm that is causing the problem. They told me that the electronic board was changed totally and was reprogrammed. But the following day, it still has the same problem.

- Renton, WA, USA

May 072014

Town & Country 6-cyl

For a couple of months, I have had trouble sometimes removing the key fob from the ignition after turning off the van. It doesn't occur all the time but is a concern when it does happen. We have changed the batteries in the key fobs and that helps for a while. I'm concerned that it will happen and I won't be able to remove the key. We've been able to remove the key after several minutes of trying different things.

- Mitchellville, IA, USA

May 232013

Town & Country

Check engine light came on. Mechanic did diagnostics to find the egr valve was not good (code P0404). From researching this issue, chrylser has been having problems with the egr valve. Paid $375 to resolve this. This should be a recall item.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Aug 222013

Town & Country

Car started smoking on near drivers side with an awful smell. Was able to drive to a dealer who determined that the rear heater hose assembly needed to be replace. From what I can determine from researching that Chrysler knows the "Y" plastic part is faulty and does not sell just the "Y" part of the unit. Consumers are forced into buying a heater hose and line assembly for $115. Labor and parts cost $290; then of course, the rest of the hoses need to be replaced for another $430 for a total of $660. This plastic piece is faulty and could cause terrible damage.

- Bridgewater, NJ, USA

Apr 172012

Town & Country

While using the oem vehicle jack to remove a flat tire. The jack slipped away from the vehicle twice and the vehicle fell to the ground. I checked the position location and configuration of placement of jack against the owner's manual and was properly used. Another quality process and part from Chrysler.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Mar 092011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Driving the car in regular, dry, daylight, conditions in traffic at 35mph... engine stops, no power brakes, no power steering, no warning lights displayed, electrical system seems operational (radio is on). Car is very hard to control with the loss of power steering/breaking and the engine can't be restarted unless the car is in park, so I have to pull over. This has happened 5 times in the past 12 months, randomly. I have taken it to the dealership twice to have this repaired, and they say they have never heard anything like it. I just did a google search and there is a recall on 2010 model year for a problem with the exact same description!!!

- Dedham, MA, USA

Jun 162008

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have had my van for a little over 3 years and have already had to replace the front brakes on it twice and the rear brakes once. Both times the rotors and brake pads had to be replaced. I have had to replace all 4 tires as well, and that was only at a little over 40,000 miles. I have had to replace the battery, and I am now fixing the A/C & heating system for the third time. And every time I check the mail I receive another recall notice! and all the issues "could cause a fire". in addition, my rear automatic doors do not always close, I have to manually close them or they come back open. I have been paged out of a store for my back doors being open, after I watched them begin to close. I also have problems with the radio freezing.

- Millstadt, IL, USA

Sep 222011

Town & Country

While driving along at approximately 45 mph on highway 158 in North Carolina, the tire pressure warning light came on. By the time the van could be safely pulled over to the side of the road and stopped, the left front tire was almost completely flat. The spare tire was installed and when the failed tire was laid on it's side the valve stem/tpm sensor fell inside the tire. The next day the van was taken to the nearest Chrysler dealer for repair. The dealer stated that the retaining nut that holds the sensor in place must have cracked and allowed the air to escape from the tire. The mechanic said that he has seen many of these failures where the aluminum retaining nut cracks. He inspected the other three sensors and recommended that they be replaced before they also fail. The dealer did not have the necessary part to install a new sensor and would have to order it. Because we were on vacation at the time and could not wait the time to get the part, the dealer installed a standard valve stem to get us home. He advised us that the warning light would remain on constantly until a proper sensor was installed. The dealer also advised us to get the proper sensor as soon as we returned home. This failure is a serious safety issue. We were fortunate that we were not traveling at interstate speeds or the outcome could have resulted in an accident. Chrysler should be required to recall these sensors before someone is seriously injured.

- North Ridgeville, OH, USA

Jul 102011

Town & Country

Problem is the tire valve stems on the tire pressure monitoring system broke off. This occurred without warning after a 20 mile drive and had been setting in a parking lot for 10 min. The end of the valve stem just blew off. Good thing we were not going down the road at 70 mph. I saw on the internet hundreds of these have been occurring. This could cause loss of control and safety from being stranded or worse. These need to be recalled and replaced with ones that do not corrode. I put new tires on this vehicle a couple of months ago to be safe and now I can not trust a simple valve stem !!!!!!!!!

- Lowry City, MO, USA

Jun 122011

Town & Country

While driving down the interstate at speed the warning indicator sounded and all the gauges zeroed out and the van temporarily lost power this has happened on three occasions it only last a second and the van seems normal afterwards. Not sure if its a computer glitch or something else.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Nov 022007

Town & Country

Stuck calipers and smoking rear wheels at approximately 2500 miles. Complained to dealership which has taken several times to fix the problem. After new brakes and calipers again and bearings replaced, again this was done in November 2010 customer complained of rear noises as brakes sticking or some problem with bearings that were replaced. Dealer found "no problem". 3/11/2011 however the car is still making noises and concern for safety is the issue for the customer. Also, the defroster do not always work and customer has to scrape the inside of the window to see out. Dealer could not re-create. Also when it rains or slush the underneath of the car bangs as if something is loose. Customer asked dealership to check also on 3/11/2011 and still the same answer "could not re-create" and found nothing. Customer asked to check brakes, bearings, converter and differential on 3/11/2011 for the 4th time and again nothing was found. Car has had numerous problems from day one including the gear shift coming off in hand. Hot wheel syndrome in 2009 fixed but is back. Customer going on trip and wants this documented.

- Bolingbrook, IL, USA

Feb 022011

Town & Country

Recalls K14, K04, K15 received three recalls on this vehicle indicating approx. 3.5 hours to repair. Chrysler dealership told me I may loose my car for two days. I can't afford to be without a car for two days so I asked about a replacement vehicle. I was informed I would only get a replacement vehicle if I had a service contract. First there is total disconnect between what Chrysler is saying on the time to repair these defects 3 1/2 hours to 2 days quoted by the dealer. Second I should not be treated differently on being provided a replacement vehicle under a safety recall.

- Waterford, MI, USA

Apr 022010

Town & Country

Owner of a 2008 Chrysler Town & Country touring mini van. Presently vehicle has just under 25,000 miles and brakes are completely shot and squealing. Not sure that I should continue to drive in this condition. Expected repair costs are around $300-400. Service center is telling me that many Chrysler T&C vans are experiencing same problem. Rotors are undersized for vehicle and experience premature wear and failure.

- Holland, OH, USA

Jul 102008

Town & Country

I was driving on the H-1 freeway in honolulu, Friday afternoon about 1:20 and my 2008 Chrysler Town and country lost power actually the engine turned off. I was in a middle lane and traffic was not good. I almost caused a crash because I wasn't prepared for my power steering to go out just before a curve. Thankfully, I was able to stop safely. I called a local dealer, and they could get to it eventually.

- Wahiawa, HI, USA

Apr 282008

Town & Country

1. safety defect in the wireless ignition module (ignition) in 2008 Town & Country (touring model). Vehicle will run but most electrical components will not work, including turn signals, windows, remote mirrors, lights, horn seat, door locks, window locks, clock, ac radio and wipers. The result of the defect includes inability to safely operate the vehicle once in motion. Driver is not necessarily aware of the problem until they go to use the horn, lights, or turn signal. Chrysler denied the existence of the problem until I made them come to my home during an episode. 2. defective fuel pump. Vehicle idles extremely high and the entire vehicle vibrates violently. Chrysler replaced the fuel pump yet the safety defect continues. Chrysler denied rearing or feeling the vibration until a Chrysler factory rep was called to thomasville in response to a state of Georgia office of Consumer Affairs lemon law claim. Chrysler replace the pump yet the safety defect continues. 3. severe grinding/scraping noise coming from the rear tenter of the vehicle. To-date, Chrysler denies the noise and has not repaired the problem. I fee the issue os one of a possible fire hazard due to its proximity to the fuel system and unknown defect in the fuel pump.

- Thomasville, GA, USA

Jan 152009

Town & Country

The automatic sliding door of my 2008 Town and country Chrysler mini van closed on the fingers of my 4 year old child while he was sitting, strapped into his booster seat. I did not realize until I opened the drivers side door and was then able to open the sliding door to release his fingers.

- Monsey, NY, USA

Jun 202008

Town & Country

I wrote a few weeks ago about the doors on my 2008 Town & Country that the opened on there own and then would not always respond to the remote. Chrysler has updated the computer in my van. Recently I had more problems of the doors not responding so the van went back to the dealership for that and a new radio with wiring from the radio to the antenna, had to have the seats on the middle row reupholstered and because of heat coming out from under the dashboard. Which is the other reason I am writing. They can not find the problem and it is not all the time but there is a tremendous amount of heat that comes out. Because of this problem with the heat coming out and still a problem with the doors I feel that my Chrysler Town & Country is really unsafe.

- Clawson, MI, USA