2.4

2009 Chrysler Town & Country steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Chrysler Town & Country:

2009 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 232016

Town & Country

Our 2009 T&C stalled in city traffic this morning without any warning when slowing down to below 20-30 mph (with the traction control light briefly illuminating after the stall). It had stalled previously 3 separate times in similar situations when either my wife or son were driving the van. Of course when the engine dies there is no power steering or power brakes which makes handling the vehicle extremely difficult. The van immediately restarts when you turn the ignition key, but the cel does not light up so there are no codes in the computer to help diagnose the problem. This is a serious problem that lots of people are having. Just read the blogs on the internet. If the van stalls while making a turn and you can't brake or steer, then it's just a matter of time before a potentially serious accident occurs. As far as I know there are no open recalls on the van (ignition recall already taken care of). The weather was nice and streets were dry.

- Canton, MI, USA

Jan 202016

Town & Country

Clock spring C123F C123B C1219 and C2204. Just reached 80000 miles and eap traction light is on and the brakes start grabbing doing straight down the highway. I have had two other vans that had recalls on clock spring. Wonder if there should be a recall on the 2009 Town and country for clock spring work and steer angle codes.

- Coon Rapids, MN, USA

Jan 252016

Town & Country

Recently purchased vehicle used (dealership filled with fuel after test drive but before we took it home). On the way home on city streets (while approaching an intersection), the engine stalled causing loss of power brakes & power steering. After putting the car in park, it started up & ran fine. A couple days later, my wife was driving it & while turning right at an intersection it did the same thing. She barely was able to safely complete the turn due to the loss of power steering. After that incident it hasn't happened again (but we haven't filled it with fuel again yet). Research on the net leads me to think it is the common problem with a valve in the fuel tank. We are very nervous driving the car & are dreading our next fill up. This is incredibly unsafe & I hope Chrysler is willing to do something about it.

- Holland, MI, USA

Nov 272014

Town & Country

My family (including children) were driving on the interstate going through atlanta, ga on vacation heading to another family members house for thanksgiving and all of a sudden my van completely cut off. I lost steering, electrical, everything!!!! luckily I was able to glide over to the side and restart my engine and it seemed as though everything worked correctly for the rest of the vacation. I contacted Chrysler by email inquiring about the recall and of course just got the "I'm sorry we're working on it, but at this time we don't have the parts to fix it." That was only the first incident!!! it happened again around 03/15/15 - same exact problems happened! once again I contacted Chrysler, and I also contacted my dealer, but got the same exact run around!! not a happy person with Chrysler!!!

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Dec 012014

Town & Country

We have had repeated engine stall/power steering malfunctions with our 2009 Chrysler Town and country starting in December 2014. (a very similar incident which required $2,518 in repairs occurred in 2012). Starting in December 2014, the engine repeatedly shut-off during operation. Typically this occurs at speeds between 25-45mph. The engine shuts down, steering capability is lost and the airbags become no-functional. This results in very unsafe driving conditions as control of the vehicle is almost impossible. Multiple calls have been made to Chrysler. They state the vehicle is currently under recall for this issue but a fix is not yet available. The part is being manufactured and must go through qc prior to us being called to schedule a repair. In the meantime, their only suggestion is to be sure no other items are on the key fob during operation and I informed them this was already the case. They will not offer replacement vehicle assistance and we have decided the vehicle is too unsafe to drive...we are a family of 5 and I refuse to put my family at risk by continuing to use this vehicle. As a result, we have had to purchase a new family vehicle while the Chrysler sits idle. We continue to pay for taxes and insurance on the vehicle while taking on the unplanned expense of new car payment. Multiple attempts at contacting Chrysler care have gone unanswered. Everytime I contact their organization, I remain on hold for 45 minutes or more. I would be happy to assist in any way possible to help get this complaint heard and an actionable response from chyrsler. I am outraged that an organization can be so irresponsible by ignoring safety issues in its products.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Feb 182015

Town & Country

During the past week, five different times while driving the vehicle has shut off, losing all power including power steering. The car needed to be put into neutral and restarted. This occurred even after removing all additional keys and keychains from the key fob. The incidents occurred at various speeds ranging from 25-60, including once on a highway/highway entrance ramp. Two dealers were contacted regarding recall and both stated that recall parts are on backorder with no expected date of arrival. An attempt to contact Chrysler group recall assistance center directly was made, unfortunately after sitting on hold for over an hour, no contact was made.

- Addison, IL, USA

Dec 052013

Town & Country 6-cyl

In Dec 2013, was driving to park and ride. Multiple lights were displaying esp and traction. Whatever was going on it effected forward motion and seemed as if the vehicle was controlling itself to go forward while making grinding sounds. It cleared up as I continued to drive. I contacted dealer and parked until I, carefully/slowing drove it into service department. They called me at work and told me it was clkspring--steering angle/clockspring, part # 56046497ad and the costs about $800! I stated was it a powertrain issue and was told no. Now, February 2015, the same issue seems to be occurring. The traction light is flashing, esp light is lite. If I step out of the vehicle and close the doors, they lock on their own (that may be a separate issue, not sure).

- East Cleveland, OH, USA

Jan 152015

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving down the road, when you turn the wheel, the car shuts off but all accessories stay on and your first clue that there is a problem is that you suddenly have no power steering. If you quickly put the car in neutral and restart, everything including the power steering comes back on. It has happened to us 5 times and the last time, I was going around a sharp curve and almost went off the road. The car is not safe!! the dealership says it is an L-25 recall and there are no parts. The Chrysler web site says there are parts but when you call them, no one answers the phone. Dealership is not offering any solutions.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Nov 142014

Town & Country

We notice the problem of engine stalls Oct 11 2014, Nov 14 and Nov 16, 2014. Was driving on highway suddenly the tire traction light came on, power steering became hard to move and could not accelerate.I turned off the unit and turned on again no problem. I took the van to the Chrysler dealer. They found engine stalls error but are not sure what caused it.

- Brooklyn Center, MN, USA

Nov 122014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I came to a stop sign and the vehicle shut off (as if the key had been turned to the accessory position). After taking it to the dealership, they informed me that it was affected by the L25/NHTSA 14V-373 recall. This can cause then engine to stop at any point in time (including driving while on a highway). This is not a condition where the minvan should be driven. If this were to happen on a highway the results could be deadly (the engine shuts off and the sudden lack of steering and brakes plus the airbags deactivating). I have been told that there are no parts available to fix this and that I should drive it home. This is incredibly unsafe and I can't believe that this is allowed to happen. The recall has been out since June of this year and I'm being told that there is no eta on when the parts will be available.

- Ijamsville, MD, USA

Apr 162013

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2009 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the steering wheel was difficult to turn intermittently and the entire instrument panel illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 40,000.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jul 272012

Town & Country 6-cyl

My vehicle has stalled out twice. Once just after stopping at an intersection and once when turning in my driveway. On both occasions, the power steering went out and I could not control the direction of the van. Thankfully the brakes did not go out. This is very worrisome to me, especially if it could occur at higher rates of speed. I did take it in to a dealer for this issue, although nothing was done for it. Constantly worried it could happen again.

- Saint Joseph, MI, USA

Dec 162013

Town & Country 6-cyl

We were driving on a city street when the car lost all power. It was brought to a halt after we were able to steer to the side out of the way of traffic. When we were able to restart the engine it performed without additional problems until we reached home. The car also performed exactly as it did on December 16,2013, onjune 15, 20,14.

- Fayetteville, GA, USA

Oct 202013

Town & Country 6-cyl

The first incident occurred when the vehicle was in motion going about 40 miles an hour when the engine shut off with power steering and brake pressure loss. The ABS and traction control light came on. The vehicle was able to be moved over to the side of the road without incident. Restarted the vehicle and it operated as normal. The second incident occurred while moving the vehicle around 5 miles an hour when the engine shut off again. Power steering and brakes failed to work. The third incident occurred traveling about 30 miles an hour with the same issues as above. The vehicle has been at the dealer twice with no solution at this time. There is a recall after the timeframe of this vehicle manufacture for the ignition module 11V139000. It would seem the recall needs to be extended as there are more issues related to the engine stopping for more than just the 2010 model.

- Pasadena, MD, USA

Jan 082014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Several times I have been driving and my engine stops for no reason. It has happened has I was merging onto a highway and instead of increasing my speed I was slowing down. It has happened at random times and in just normal driving situations. The most recent was driving from Rhode Island back to ct and 2 hours into the drive the car stopped as I was turning left at a light from one busy roadway onto another with quite a few cars surrounding me. Most of the time that this happens I have to pull over (without power steering) and put the car in park to restart the car. Each time I have been able to do so safely but it is a very serious concern and I usually have my kids in the car with me. Chrysler needs to repair this because this is obviously not the first complaint on the issue.

- New Milford, CT, USA

May 022011

Town & Country

I had a problem with my Town and country that caused me to get rid of it because I was afraid. The dealerships kept telling me it was normal and nothing was wrong. I would be driving and if I hit the key the wrong way the car would turn off while driving. It was in the dealership at least two times for this problem. I wasn't going to risk my family's life, and they wouldn't believe me, so I got rid of the car. I argued about it with them but got nowhere. I only share this with you because of what is going on now with GM. My car wasn't a GM but I had the exact same problem that is being described. If you need additional information or documentation, please contact me and I will get you what I have.

- Bloomfield Hills, MI, USA

Nov 302013

Town & Country 6-cyl

I am reporting the occurrence of unexpected engine shutoff and loss of power for my 2009 Chrysler Town & Country minivan. This has occurred 3 times over the past six months with the first occurrence on 30 November 2013; the last occurrence on 11 March 2014; and another time between those occurrences. The below description characterizes each of the incidents: - without warning the engine shut off - there was a complete loss of power - the console remained lit - there was a complete loss of power steering - it took extreme force to turn the vehicle off the road out of the traffic flow due to the loss of power steering. - one loss of power occurrence happened at highway speed. The other two occurred at around 40 mph. - all the loss of power incidents occurred without warning. I have contacted the local dealership service shop about the problem. I was told that they have no information about the problem, and would have to try to recreate the problem to address the solution. I asked about whether there were any service bulletins about this problem, and they told me they had no knowledge of any. This of course is a very scary situation given that another loss of power can occur again without warning. The clearly will put the riders in danger. I was fortunate during the last three occurrences, but that may not be the case the next time. I know from internet searches that this problem has occurred with other Town and country vans. This is a problem that your office should investigate. It is potentially a life threatening flaw in the vehicle that can only be addressed by a corporate level investigation, analysis, and solution.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Jan 142014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Driving down the road the car turned off. Don't know if my knee hit the key chain to turn off the car or if the car just turned off. I was driving straight and turned the car back on and it was ok. If I would of been on a curve it might have been different. I have since then bought a quick release lock so my keys are not attached to the key for the van. Haven't had any problems as of yet. But I just bought it. Just think the design of the car could be different to have the key placement somewhere else or change how the key fits into the car to avoid this from happening.

- Port Byron, IL, USA

Sep 012012

Town & Country 6-cyl

Purchased a 2009 T&C 3 weeks ago, 47607miles. First incidence occurred after 1 week. While driving the vehicle lost power steering, (electronics, lights, radio, etc remained active), I realized the engine had stalled/cutoff. I was only going about 20mph, I had to put the car in park and restart the ignition. Car drove fine. Took the car back to dealership where they machined the rear rotors. Week 2, took the car back to the dealership again, they machined the front rotors. Week 3, while driving the same incident occurred, engine cutoff during operation without warning. Luckily I was in a neighborhood and speed was approx 15-25 mph. Electronics remained active. (there were no warnings or error codes when the engine shut down.) had to put the vehicle in park and restart the engine. Took the car back to the dealership for the third time in 3 weeks of ownership where it currently remains as they try to chase this ghost. I am convinced this vehicle is dangerous and not safe to drive since the engine cuts off randomly. I asked first team Honda of chesapeake to take this vehicle back and I would buy a different vehicle. The used car sales manager offered me 75% of what I paid for the car 3 weeks earlier and told me there was nothing wrong with my vehicle. It is under warranty for 90 days so I will continue to send the car back and warn others before they purchase an unsafe vehicle.

- Suffolk, VA, USA

Oct 162010

Town & Country 6-cyl

After sustained highway speeds, our van stalled upon exiting the highway and coming to a complete stop at the first traffic light. The steering wheel and brake pedal would shake very hard immediately prior to stalling. The tachometer would also dip below 750 RPM immediately before engine stalling. This same thing happened at least 10 times before we finally took it back to the dealership. They could not find anything wrong with the van and said that they simply updated the engine computer software. The problem continued and became quite predictable. There is no problem when the vehicle is driven around town since I don't get onto a highway to go to work or shop. It happens all the time now after we've been on the highway for a while and exit. Sometimes it will stall before we can even come to a complete stop which concerns me greatly. Our vehicle recently ran out of it's regular 3 year/36,000 mile warranty so we took it to our regular mechanic because we wanted another opinion and to finally get it fixed even if it had to be at our own expense. Our mechanic determined that the problem was with the torque converter. Apparently the torque converter is intended to help the transmission get better gas mileage when at highway speeds. Upon exiting the highway, the torque converter is not properly disengaging which is resulting in our engine stalling issue. Instead of charging us to fix the problem he told us to have our dealer fix it since it should still be covered by the power train warranty as we have just over 40,000 miles on the vehicle. After 3 days with the dealer, they have yet to resolve the issue and claim that they cannot reproduce the problem. Needless to say, we are extremely frustrated. Chrysler needs to either fix the problem or replace the vehicle.

- Plano, TX, USA