2010 Chrysler Town & Country brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country:

2010 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Aug 202014

Town & Country

Was going on a trip with my family in our 2010 Chrysler Town and country LX. While driving down the expessway, we had to brake. Well when you try to brake, the pedal goes down to the floor and the steering wheel shakes and you do not stop. When you do stop the tires lock up and skid. This is an ongoing problem with this vehicle. I even tried replacing the brake pads and that didnt help. I have been reading a lot of information online that this is a huge problem with this year, make and model. I would like to know why they havent recalled this vehicle yet!!!

- Fort Gratiot, MI, USA

Jan 202014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Pavement was wet and went to stop quickly. ABS was enabled for a few seconds then the system shorted, leaving only standard brakes. The ABS light, traction control and engine lights came one. The ABS system would no longer function. Traction control would not function. This was very evident on ice. Speedometer would not read out. The speedometer would be at zero then when driven the vehicle would ding about every 5 minutes and speedometer would go up and down to zero again. The engine and transmission would not shift correctly. It would always seem to drive in a higher gear. The odometer would no longer function. The electric van doors would not work when the vehicle was running. They would work when vehicle was off. Took van to dealer for repair. The ABS control module was faulty and had corrosion on the connections which needed to be replaced. The van was absolutely worthless until this was replaced which cost $850.

- Casco, MI, USA

Aug 212014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I am the original owner with about 17000 miles on the car front and rear brakes over heating causing warpage in rotors. They were replaced by Chrysler but have gone bad again, when applying the brakes you fell the wheel shimmy and the stopping distance is greatly reduced.

- Homosassa, FL, USA

Aug 202014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Warped front brake rotors. Steering wheel pulsation when braking.

- Dafter, MI, USA

May 272014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Myself, my husband, & 3 young children were driving home at 45 mls an hour and the vehicle completely turned off. We lost power steering, power brakes and the engine shut off. We had to coast to a complete stop( thank god no one was behind us or around us) and put the van in park and it turned back on. So we started driving on, only to have the van shut off a second time while going uphill again at 45 mls per hour. The same things happened, power steering, power brakes and engine cutoff! again we were blessed that no one was around as there is no where to pull over! we put the van in park, it started back up and made it the one more mile home with no problem. We took the van to service center at the dealership ( we have bumper to bumper warranty) they kept the vehicle for almost 4 wks, while they had it, it shut down on them once but could not get the vans computer to "throw a code" to their computer. They wanted to give it back without doing anything to it, we asked that they at least address the recall issue of the win module (as this is described as exactly what was happening)they did this, however, the van has shut down on us two more times! they kept the van for a few days and replaced the win module again, although they still don't know for sure that it is the problem as my van will not " throw a code"! I now have a $400 a month van parked in my driveway and am in limbo until Chrysler Corp gets back to me! I refuse to trust their "best guess" with my family and others lives on the road.

- Mooresville , NC, USA

Jul 102014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Chrysler knows the braking system on its 2010 (and other model years) is defective but they refuse to provide a solution to it's customers. The brake pads and calipers are not large enough for the vehicles size and weight which causes the brakes to overheat and warp the rotors in a very short period. This leads to brake pedal pulsation and excessive dangerous steering wheel shake which can cause an accident. My particular vehicle has had multiple sets of pads, rotors and calipers replaced during the warranty period and now that the vehicle is out of warranty I find myself having to pay for brake parts/service out of my own pocket. This vehicle only has 33,000 miles on it and it shouldn't have had any brake work yet but instead, it's had multiple brake services. Please make Chrysler issue a recall for the brakes on these vehicles and require Chrysler to redesign the system with new parts as opposed to the same defective replacement parts.

- Granby, CT, USA

Sep 262013

Town & Country 6-cyl

When driving at 45 mph and braking for a stop light, vehicle steering shakes left to right. I took the vehicle for inspection and was told the front rotors were warped. Service was done. The symptom went away for 2-3 months, today is 6/25/14 and I have the same problem again. The vehicle is 52000 miles now. I need a fix on this.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Dec 152013

Town & Country 6-cyl

This minivan turns off while driving. When it first happened to me I was stopped at a stop light and began to go. It happened to my boyfriend while he was getting on the freeway. Company changed the brakes and they need to be changed again only six months later. We already took in once to get problem fixed. They couldn't find anything wrong with it and gave it back. Problem started happening again and now started overheating so we took it back.

- Albuquerque, NM, USA

Jan 172014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I have 2 problems with this vehicle that Chrysler refuses to respond to with appropriate answers. The 1st one is the front brakes. This has been an issue since the purchase of the vehicle. 4-2010 the rotors always create hot spots then causes the brakes to fail.. there is never any wear on the brake pads just the rotors. There was a letter sent out a couple years ago that they would repair the brakes with either a $50 to $100 deductible. Now, they will not honor that letter. Obviously, there was a problem then for the letter to be sent out, why change it now. I still have the same van and the same problem, only to get worse. The second is the airbags. I was involved in an accident with excessive front end damage as well as totaled the car that was hit by me. The airbags never deployed, fortunately, I was not injured. Chrysler refuses to speak to me about these this issue. That keep telling me that because my auto insurance was involved then they would have to do a subrogation report. This is untrue as per my insurance company. This report only needs to be filled out if the driver or passenger's were injured from the accident. Well since there was no injuries, then there is no need for a report. This incident is a consumers complaint. Chrysler doesn't see it that way. They are trying to find every excuse in the book to not cooperate with my complaints. What is Chrysler waiting for" someone to die if my van is to become into another accident" well, I do not want to wait for that to happen. They need to find the problem and fix it before something bad happens again.

- Cherryville, NC, USA

Jul 202013

Town & Country 6-cyl

I bought the car 12-14-2012. This had happened a couple of times before I began to record the incidents. When I am driving at highway speed (55) the car I put my foot on the brake pedal I want to slow down or stop the brake pedal is completely soft and goes to the floor. The car stand on its nose in a skidding stop. This has happened 11 times first 7-20-13 and the last 2-19-20-14.I have reported most of them to the dealer ship. They took the car in and looked for some thing wrong but could not find anything wrong.I am making this complaint to you because I believe something is very wrong and dangerous with the car I am afraid of it but I don't thank I can afford to trade cars at this. Time.I would like to have the car repaired so I could feel the car is safe for myself and family.

- Hudson , MI, USA

Jul 202013

Town & Country

After I began to keep a record of the happenings have 11 times beginning July 20 13. The last time it has happened was February 19-2014. Several of these times I have reported this happing to the garage checked the car and could not find anything wrong. I have reported it a few times since. They just look at and say we do not to do we can find nothing wrong. I am very scared of the car.I want it on record that I have a problem ifit does happen.[ when driving at highway speed for a time you need to stop or slow down you step on the brake pedal in a normal fashon the brake pedal will go complettly soft go to the floor and the car will stand on its nose in complet stop.

- Hudson, MI, USA

Dec 262013

Town & Country 6-cyl

This car shuts down of being driven about two hours. It shuts down at the end of a trip as I come into town and take my foot off of the gas. The dealership has test drove the car multiple times and they cannot find what the problem is. It is now apparent this is a much larger problem.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 232014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Twice my vehicle shut off while driving on a city road at approximately 35 mph. There were no dash warnings other than the electronic stability control icon was lit the first episode. The radio was working, all other dash lighting appeared normal for a car in operation. I had been driving about 20 minutes, so the car was not "cold". the first time, I did not even realize the car had stalled until I noticed it was losing speed and then found the car was not responding to the gas pedal. I coasted into the right lane and turned onto a side street (that's when I realized I had no power steering, no brakes, and the car was truly stalled). I continued coasting to a stop. I then put the car in park and attempted to restart it. It restarted immediately, running smoothly, so I continued on my way home wondering what could have caused it to die like that? less than a mile later, it stalled again! this time I put the car in neutral and while cruising/coasting turned the ignition key to start to try and re-start the car. I then put the transmission back into drive to see if it had restarted, and sure enough I was on my way again. No other indicators of an issue on the dash. It has not happened since. I went out on an errand later that evening and the episode did not repeat. I am quite nervous to take it on the interstate. My gosh! what if I had been on the interstate (75 mph speed limit) turning a curve, no power steering, slowing to a coast and panicked as to what was wrong? I have an appointment with a mechanic day after tomorrow, but unless a code was thrown indicating an error, it seems to be a somewhat isolated event, or at least intermittent event. Definitely seems to be a safety issue.

- Kearney, NE, USA

Nov 302013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Noticed an unusual sound coming from lr. Exited vehicle and immediately smelled burning brake pads. Lr wheel too hot to touch. Drove vehicle remaining 1/2 mile home. After only five minutes of internet research I had literally thousands of complaints on this same issue, mostly 2008 to 2012 models. My vehicle has less than 38000 miles on it and more than 50% of those are highway miles. Seems like the sheer volume of complaints would warrant a recall or at the very least a NHTSA investigation. I will certainly tell everyone I know to stay away from Chrysler products altogether.

- Warren, MI, USA

Aug 132013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Brakes shutter when applied. On 3 set of brakes. Engine quits at idle. Must put in park or neutral and restart. Engine cuts out while driving at various speeds then resumes. Took van to dealer with od code 1128 they could not find ant problem. Problem continued. I changed : spark plugs and wires O2 sensors map sensor problem getting more frequent.

- Ramona, CA, USA

Feb 152011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Shortly after a brand new 2010 Town & Country I started to get shaking in the steering. The shaking would start when I tried to apply the brakes. I took it to the dealer and they said it was normal for minivans and that I must be driving on hills. They said the brakes would need to be resurfaced. They didn't offer to do that at that time and said it was my problem. After a few more months and the problem continually getting worse, I couldn't take it anymore and was ready to pay for new brakes. The dealership provided some sort of warranty and I had to pay a deductible. That solved the problem for a time. After about a year, I started getting some shaking on my tires. I took it to the dealership and they said the brakes were wearing down and that they would need to be replaced soon. I was surprised because the car was less than 2 years old and only had about 20K in mileage. I didn't get any repair at that time. Now it's been about another 6 months and my brakes are completely shot. The rotors have been worn down and need to be replaced along with the pads. This will be the second set in just over 2 years and the car has around 40K in miles. I'm going to pay for this repair and file a claim with Chrysler. This doesn't seem normal and it looks like they have some issues with their brakes.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Aug 262013

Town & Country

Rear brakes and rotors completely went metal on metal paid $375 for replacement. The brakes were on a lease with only 27K miles on them. The front brakes also have gone but there was a recall we just never were notified so now we are responsible.

- Novi, MI, USA

Jun 282013

Town & Country

There has been a problem with my front and rear brakes since I purchased this vehicle, I have now been to the dealer service four time to have this issued fix. Still not fixed!!! when I go to brake, the whole vehicle shutters, brakes grind and squeak horribly!! I have skidder several times trying to come to a complete stop!! this is a serious safety risk, especially since I am transporting small children let alone adults. Something needs to be done!!!!!

- Stewartstown , PA, USA

Jul 082013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Purchased vehicle on 7/8/2013 - identified problems on test drive on 7/6/2013 - dealer was going to correct - replaced cable to back up camera - air pressure to brakes to clear dust - picked up vehicle, left dealer at 10:30pm - brakes still not working properly - in am, (7/9) backup camera not working - made appointment for 7/13/2013 back to dealer.

- Clifton, NJ, USA

Aug 012011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Left rear brake howling. It has gotten worse to now where the ld bake caliper and rotor must be replaced. The right rear is likely not working as the rotor is rusty. The front brake pads are 1/2 or more worn out. The car has only 9400 miles on it. Chrysler says the 36 month warranty has expired and I am now totally responsible. Less than 10,000 miles and the brakes are shot!.

- Northville, MI, USA