2010 Chrysler Town & Country brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country:

2010 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Aug 302016

Town & Country

Vehicle randomly shuts off while driving. I was driving during the day, straight, on a city street. Vehicle turned of and I lost all breaks and power steering. I took it to a dealership and they told me they couldn't find anything wrong. I have 5 kids and can't be using a vehicle that may or may not just shut off while driving

- Natural Bridge, NY, USA

Aug 242016

Town & Country

2010 Town and country can has been stalling while driving the steering locks as well as the breaks. It usually happens when I'm going between 20 to 35 mph.iit will completely die in the middle of the street and the worst is crossing a busy intersection! I have taken it to several mechanics and unable to find the problem some of them just ignore this dangerous problem. It has shut off in the middle of rush hour with my kids in the van. There has been several Town and country van owners with the same problem. When will Chrysler Corp or anyone going to address this issue before someone gets killed? this has been an on going problem since last year with no help!

- Mountain Home, AR, USA

Feb 152016

Town & Country

I took my van in for a simple valve change because it was using a lot of oil on 2/15/16. A week and a half later I received my van back and it stalled in front of a tractor trailer truck. Van was returned to the dealership and they claimed to repair /install new gas pump, egr valve, gaskets, crank sensors etc. I received my van back on 4/2 claiming everything was repaired. The van was no longer stalling. On 4/3 while driving on the parkway, in heavy traffic my brakes, steering wheel locked and van shut off while driving. Just missed going over the guard rail. Again took th van back to the dealership, contacted Chrysler customer service which made the dealership owner very irate. My van was in the dealership from 2/15 to June. I got the run around about we are doing everything to repair your vehicle. Guess what, it is still not repaired the van continuously stall anytime you made a hard turn. It was at the point of no return. The longer the dealership had it the worse the van got. Meanwhile all of this extra stress is starting to affect my health. I paid for a $42,000 van and even Chrysler has no idea of how to fix it. I got fed up in June and asked to have the van returned back to me. After more than 3 months they were ever so happy to return the vehicle back to me. As of now I still don't have all the receipts of exactly what was done to the van. All I know is that I would never buy another Chrysler again because of the treatment received and their uncaring attitude about the safety of the vehicle. At this point I found out that I am not the only one with this stalling issue. I feel Chrysler is aware of it and don't know how to go about correcting it. The vehicle was in the dealership at the time on 2/15 for a recall for the ignition node(R03). I don't know if the recall initiated all the action or incompetence. I have towing receipts in excess of 100 miles.

- Monticello, NY, USA

Jul 042016

Town & Country

While driving vehicle we have lost power steering and all controls to vehicle on 5 occasions. This commonly occurs after hitting bump in road. Symptoms of vehicle match up exactly to NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000, this is an expansion of recall 11V-139 (the engine will turn off, which will then depower various key safety systems including but not limited to air bags, power steering, and power braking), however Chrysler says my vehicle is not included in this recall. My vehicle was manufactured several months after the vehicles included in that recall. I believe my vehicle is also affected.

- Holly, MI, USA

Dec 222012

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle required a longer stopping distance when the brake pedal was depressed. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was operated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the brake master cylinder failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 73,000.

- Berwick, PA, USA

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. While driving at various speeds, the vehicle stalled and the power steering and brakes malfunctioned. The contact mentioned that the antilock brake warning light illuminated. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate and diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 60,000.

- Hudson, OH, USA

Mar 022016

Town & Country

Van will unexpectedly become unresponsive while driving. Esp light comes on. No power steering. Brakes hard to push. Loss of control. Very scary. Have to try to pull over. Put in park. Then restart van. All recalls have been preformed. Dealer can not replicate issue. No code for dealer to determin problem. Has been to dealer three times. This issue has occurred 4 times now with no resolution. Very unsafe. Chrysler customer care has been made aware of problem. Can not come up with solution.since they can not replicate. Will not offer to buy back car. Please help

- Concord Twp, OH, USA

Feb 042016

Town & Country

At random intervals while while in motion, either on city streets or the highway, the electrical stability controls fault out, causing the engine to shut off, and the steering wheel and brakes to lock up. The only option is to drift to the side of the road, come to a complete stop, and restart the car. This occurs multiple times throughout the day, though there is no official diagnosis from Chrysler as to the problem. It has experienced the issue for about 3 months and has gotten progressively worse. A separate recall is in effect for 2010 Town & Country cars manufactured during the first part of the year for this problem; however vehicles manufactured from July-December of the same year have no recall, despite exhibiting the same issue. Chrysler has been unhelpful in coordinating restitution for the faulty system, which induces dangerous operating conditions for drivers, especially on the highway. Though my family and I have not yet wrecked, this issue has caused multiple wrecks for others, and accordingly, numerous complaints.

- Columbia, MO, USA

Dec 272015

Town & Country

The electronic stability control comes on for no reason. When driving normally under normal conditions. It comes on and stays on. The car then losses power steering, no power at accelerator, and brakes are engaged. A basic loss of control of vehicle. You have to try to pull over shut off vehicle and then restart. This resets and you can drive normally. This is an extremely unsafe and scary when it happens. Has happened three times. Have taken car to two different Chrysler dealers which find nothing wrong because no trouble code for them to read.. this has happened three times now. My wife is afraid to drive the car.

- Concord, OH, USA

Jun 152014

Town & Country

The front brakes were designed to apply themselves when turning the steering wheel. The brake on the opposite side of the way that the stering wheel is turned is automatically applied when it is being driven. This wears our the brakes and causes a lot of expense keeping brakes repaired. Once we were coming home on the interstate and the brakes got so hot that it melted the wheel cylinder and dumped all the brake fluid out and we had no brakes. We were lucky that this happened as soon as we turned into our yard. If it had happened a few minutes earlier, while we were on the interstate, it could have been a disaster. I have spent a lot of money on this problem, but there is nothing that can be done to fix it.

- Warrior, AL, USA

Dec 162015

Town & Country

I was driving about 50 mph on a straightaway (city street) when I noticed the speed reducing. Then, I noticed cruise control had turned off and the esp light turned on. Power steering then was gone and power brakes. I steered to the side of the road and turned off and restarted the car. All was fine after restarting. At the time of the car shutting down, all lights and the radio were working fine. Note: The previous recall of 14V373000 does not apply to this van as it was manufactured in August of 2010. My theory is that the ignition switch failure that was cited in the above stated recall applies to not just vehicles manufactured before June 2010 but applies to this vehicle, as well. This was the third incidence.

- Durham, NC, USA

Dec 142015

Town & Country

Rear passenger side caliper sticking, causing a small fire. Had to replace the entire rear caliper and bleed the system. This is a death hazard the dealer and Chrysler corperation were notified. I spoke to steve standers from Chrysler at 586-274-8086. This is from an on going issue they Chrysler was warned about before it happened they failed to proceed to take proper action and put my family at risk of death.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Oct 262015

Town & Country

The vehicle (2010 Town & Country) suddenly shuts down when running but usually turns on after simply pushing in (not turning) the ignition key. The vehicle is currently not covered under Chrysler's recall R03 (win module), since it was manufactured after the cutoff date (June 18. 2010). Vehicle is unsafe to use, since vehicle suddenly losses airbags, brakes, steering and power. Vehicle is now suddenly shutting off a lot more often.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Oct 122015

Town & Country

The van ran out of oil. It was completely dry. No warning signs came on. No leaks. No smoke for the exhaust. One day it began to knock real bad and still no oil light was on. Now the van needs a new engine. This shouldn't of happened to a 2010 model with only 65K miles on it.

- Washington, MI, USA

Town & Country

While driving the vehicle the engine turns off and there is a loss of brakes, steering and engine.

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

Town & Country

Was driving our 2010 Chrysler Town and country straight down the road in our housing plan when the engine shut off. All of the electronics in the car still operated but, there was no power steering or brakes. Had to coast the vehicle to the side of the road to stop. The vehicle ended up stopping on a hill but, without the brakes it started to drift backwards. At this point the emergency brake was pushed to get the vehicle to stop. This happened the very next day as well. Luckily we were not driving down the highway as my 3 children in the vehicle. This could be deadly if driving at 60 mph down the highway.

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

Aug 262015

Town & Country

Lost vehicle electrical system when I went over a bump in the road, on highway us-1 in saint augustine, Florida. I pulled over and stopped the vehicle. Then restarted the vehicle and drove off. But this happened twice. Second time, I had to wiggle the key in the ignition, to get the ignition to start the vehicle again.

- St. Augustine, FL, USA

Mar 042015

Town & Country

While driving down a smooth road, and without warning, the vehicle suddenly shut completely off. The power steering and power brakes were disabled as was the engine. This resulted in me having to make evasive maneuvers with little to no maneuverability and no ability to control the speed of the vehicle. It is my understanding from other recall notices that air bags are also disabled when this event occurs. This failure results in a very dangerous situation and in my opinion, the vehicle is unsafe to drive because of this product defect. The incident has occurred at least 6 more times since the first occurrence. I contacted Chrysler because there is a recall for the make and model of my vehicle, but I was informed that my vehicle was manufactured on October 13, 2010, which is outside the window for that particular recall. Again, I repeat that this is an unsafe vehicle and someone will get seriously injured as a result of this defect if it is not remedied asap. Again, the vehicle randomly and without warning will turn itself off in the middle of driving down the road. All systems power off and it is a very distressing event. Please expand the recall to include the additional manufacture dates which include my vehicle. I do not want my vehicle or any others out there like mine to be involved in a fatal accident that could have been avoided.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Aug 122014

Town & Country

We have had recall done! it did not work. This vehicle is dying for no reason/no warning while driving!!!! we have always had issues starting vehicle for last two years. Put key in and nothing. Switch to neutral and suddenly it starts. Well, now, the newest thing that is happening more and more frequently, is it just stops. Last night, the stability control light came on but nothing else and you have no control over steering or braking. Lights are still on vehicle but until you switch to neutral and restart with key you are gliding. It is not safe and we are taking this vehicle to a dealer that says they are backlogged and don't know when they will get to it. Very scary situation!!!!

- Granite City, IL, USA

Aug 152012

Town & Country

Front and rear disc brakes seem to be undersized for the weight of the vehicle. Have replaced brake pads and rotors multiple times and can't get more than approximately 10,000 miles out of them. Even new, on relatively short road trips, the brakes get extremely hot and start to fade and cause the vehicle to shudder when braking. The brakes get so hot, they've destroyed the chrome cladding on the alloy wheels. Contacted Chrysler and their only recommendation was to install "high performance" brake pads. I have tried different pads to no avail. I currently have vented, drilled and slotted rotors which seems to help but still doesn't solve the problem. The 2010 vehicle is equipped with 12" rotors while the newer vehicles of the same size and weight are equipped with 13" rotors. When asked, Chrysler said they did not have a brake retrofit for the older vans to install larger brakes.

- White Plains, MD, USA