5.3

2010 Chrysler Town & Country brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country:

2010 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Aug 012011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. While driving approximately 40 mph the contact heard a grinding noise while depressing the brake pedal. The failure occurred at various speeds and was more noticeable at higher speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing where the technician suggested the brakes be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 23,000.

- Galveston, IN, USA

Aug 202011

Town & Country 6-cyl

2010 Chrysler Town & Country - at 14,000 miles (11 months), I needed to have both the front and rear rotors turned due to excessive vibration during braking. Since this was outside the 12 month/12,000 mile "free adjustments" period, it cost me $295 at my local Chrysler dealer. Considering the number of complaints I see logged against current Chrysler/Dodge minivans since 2008 for warped rotors and excessive brake wear, it think it is reasonably obvious that the brakes are undersized for the vehicles and should be investigated by the government.

- Garnet Valley, PA, USA

Jul 082011

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the rear brakes would made a loud squeaking noise. The dealer diagnosed that the rear brake pads were worn and the rotors were out-of-round. The manufacturer was notified and a complaint was filed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 18,000 and the current mileage was 18,125. Updated 09/08/11 updated 10/31/11

- Keller, TX, USA

Jun 152011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the brake pedal would not respond when depressed. The caliper was frozen and would not release. The contact state that a grinding noise was heard from the vehicle when driving. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who inspected the brakes and advised that the calipers, brake line and rotors would need replacing. The manufacturer was contacted who advised that there were no recalls for the failure and offered no other assistance. The failure mileage was 48,000.

- Sault Ste Marie, MI, USA

Jul 062011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Brakes started shuddering at 7,550. Took to dealership. Verified concern, found front brake rotors warped. "runout" on left front rotor and right front rotor. Problem persisted. Removed and replaced front brake rotors. We replaced the front rotors (dealership would not cover). Vehicle back to dealership at 19,012 miles, brakes shuddering again. Rear rotors warped (dealership would not cover), we replaced rear rotors. Brake shudder again at 24,806, returned once again to dealership. Acknowledged pulsation. Nothing done. We kept the 2nd set of rotors from the front. Will continue to keep parts. We have a small child that rides in the car daily. Extremely concerned regarding safety.

- Pocono Pines, PA, USA

Jul 112011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Faulty brakes at low vehicle mileage. Applying brakes at highway speeds results in excessive vehicle shudder probably due to warped rotors. This in turn results in higher than normal stopping distances. My family and I have 5 Chrysler group vehicles, 2008 thru 2010, all with the same problem, some with mileage as low as 5000 miles. My Chrysler minivan currently has about 10000 miles. The dealer said they would normally fix it under warranty, but since it has been in service for more than 12 months, they can't/won't do anything about it. Brakes are only covered for 12mo or 12000 miles. In my opinion this is a product deficiency and, more importantly, a safety defect that Chrysler has had on various models for a number of model years. These vehicles should be recalled.

- Commerce Township, MI, USA

Jul 092011

Town & Country

I purchased a used 2010 Chrysler Town and country mini-van in may of 2011. During the test-drive, I noted a pulsating in the brakes and, as a condition of sale, asked that the brakes be repaired. According to the dealership, the brake pads were replaced, and the rotors were "turned". upon delivery of the vehicle, I found the brakes to be operating without the pulsating. However, after the purchase, I found the pulsating to continue to occur at highway speeds, and the vehicle was returned to the dealership again for repair. I was told that there was a recall for the rotors, and that the rotor had been replaced. Once again, I left the dealership, noting smooth brake operation. After approximately 2 weeks, I began to notice the pulsating once again at highway-speed braking. On Saturday, July 9th, I was driving on a rural highway. While on the highway, I suddenly began to hear a rubbing noise, accentuated by a rhythmic knocking sound. I reduced speed by letting off the accelerator and continued to listen to the noise, trying to determine exactly where it was coming from. I next heard the sound of something rebounding off the undercarriage, and made the decision to stop. Upon applying the brakes, I was met with extreme shuddering/pulsating from the brakes as I pulled to the shoulder. As I increased pressure on the brake pedal, a grinding noise commenced from the front right area, and shortly after the vehicle came to a forced stop, as though the wheels had locked up. On inspecition, it appeared the right front brake caliper had broke loose, sheered away some of the metal from inner portion of the rim, and then lodged itself against the rim, forcing the wheel to lock in place. We were very fortunate that, at the time, we were on a rural highway and had time to reduce speed before forcfully braking. Had this occurred at a higher speed, in heavier traffic, I fear the outcome may have been drastically different. My infant son was in the van at the time.

- Chicago, IL, USA

May 152011

Town & Country

I have a 2010 Town and country. Steering wheel started to vibrate around 29,000 miles. Told I needed new rotors and brake pads. Chrysler has been using faulty rotors for the last 3 models and needs to recall vans. Inexcusable that I should have to pay for new brakes with a car that is only 1 1/2 years old.

- White Lake, MI, USA

Jun 102011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town & Country. The contact stated that the vehicle was exhibiting an abnormal squeaking and the driver side brake was found to be jammed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the sliders on the rear brakes were corroding and needed to be clean and lubricated. The manufacturer was contacted who did not offer any assistance since they considered the failure an environmental issue. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 20,050 and the current mileage was 20,200.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Aug 312010

Town & Country 6-cyl

While traveling at highway speeds, an emergency stop is necessary but when brakes are applied, a loud rumbling noise is heard from the front of the vehicles, the brake pedal goes down almost to the floorboard and vehicles fails to stop. This only occurs at highway speeds, and in emergency stopping situations. It has happened approximately 18 times since August, 2010. Dealer's technician says is "normal" in 2010 Chrysler vehicles.

- Erin, TN, USA

Oct 152010

Town & Country

Brakes start shuddering at 8,000 miles, rear rotors turned at 12,000 miles, no help, different dealer all new rotors and pads at 16,000 miles, everything good, brakes shuddering again at 23,000 miles, told wheels out of balance - wheels weren't out of balance, still shuddering, back at dealer again - they don't think it's the brakes - they are full of bull!

- Ludington, MI, USA

Nov 142010

Town & Country 6-cyl

Braking system loud noise and failure to stop vehicle (intermittant).

- Erin, TN, USA

Jan 102011

Town & Country

Bought van 12/30/10 with 18,883 miles. 1/10/11 - breaks running very hot, pulsate, and lock up. Dealer said front rotors warped. R&R'd front rotors. 1/27/11 - breaks still pulsate and running very hot. Dealer resurfaced both rear rotors. 2/17/11 - breaks still running very hot. Dealer could not find any problem with front breaks. 3/10/11 - breaks still running very, very hot and locked up while driving in rain. Windows have been intermittently opening by themselves on several occasions when vehicle is turned off. Dealer does not know what to do.

- West Bend, WI, USA

Feb 162010

Town & Country

I have a new town and country it is now 9 months old. I started having problems with the car approximately 4 months after purchase. I was just driving down the road and the car stalled it just shuts off there is no warning at all. This has happened on several different occasions. I have had the car back to the dealer on several different occasions for this problem. It happened to me once while I was turning out onto a busy road and the car stalled right at the on ramp to the highway. I was with my two children in the car. I drove the car to the dealer the next day and told them I would not drive it anymore they needed to figure it out. They took the car but, when I got it back within a week it happened again. I have also had trouble with the tire pressure monitor system coming on constantly but, there is nothing wrong with the tires. Also I was away with my family but, I was again alone with my children and we pulled into a kohls parking lot in New Jersey and the car shut off and would not turn back on. I could not lock or unlock the vehicle. Nothing worked I called the dealer because I was in a N unfamiliar place and they got me to road side assistance. While I waited for road side assistance the car just started again on its on. This has now happened on 2 different occasions. When driving on the highway now when I put on the brakes the whole car shakes. I have had this vehicle in to the dealer at least 5 or 6 times for all of these problems that are never resolved. This is a brand new car and I do not feel safe driving around with my kids in it. I have also contacted Chrysler at their vehicle complaint department and have gotten no satisfaction there either.

- Billerica, MA, USA

Jun 212010

Town & Country

2008 Chrysler town and country.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Jan 142010

Town & Country

Pre mature brake failure- front and rear brakes needed to be replaced at 21,000 miles- factory rotors were to thin to turn. Chrysler has service bulletin out indicating problem but refuses to address issue.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Mar 192010

Town & Country

I have a 2008 Chrysler minivan stow & go, on Mar 12, 2010 I took it to dave dennis chrys.Dodge, Jeep, on col glen hwy in dayton, when got the bill & ready to go, they told me I was due for a tire rotation, so I made an appt. For Mar 19,2010 at 1P.M. after waiting over an hour the service lady came out & told me I needed new rotors & brake pads, I told her I could hardly believe that as the van has only 21,000 miles on it, will be 3 yrs. Old this coming Oct. She said they were seeing bad brakes at 16,000mi, I ask why the rotors, why not just the brake pads, but couldn't imagine either one was bad. She said they couldn't replace just the pads as there wasn't space on the rotors to do that. I was really upset, what about people who never have their tires rotated & are dangerously driving with bad brakes. I feel these brakes should be on a co. Recall if their all like they say. I'm taking my van to a privately owned garage to have them checked out at 10 a.M. on Mar.23,2010, it's pretty bad when you pay over $30,000 for a vehicle & in 16,000 miles or more the brakes need replaced. I"M concerned about this before the accidents & deaths start to happen. These brakes systems are either a faulty design or below grade material put in them, I'd like you to investigate it. I think the problem started with the 2008 model vehicles & the troubles are just beginning to start.

- Dayton, OH, USA

Jan 022010

Town & Country

Failure of front and rear brake pads at 18,000 miles.

- North Bellmore, NY, USA