2010 Chrysler Town & Country engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country:

2010 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 182016

Town & Country

All warning lights on dash board light up while driving. Wipers come on(won't shut off), if cruise control is on gears won't change. Happens on city street and highway. Purchased in 2014 has been checked 3 times. Temporary fix 2 times. Third time I was told the best guess would cost $1,000. Emphasized that this is a guess. When I stop the vehicle and take the key out and put it back in and restart the car it helps.

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 082016

Town & Country

Engine will shut off while driving, loss of steering, control and brakes occurs. This is while driving on a city street.

- Cheyenne, WY, USA

Jan 082016

Town & Country

Vehicle stalled (highly dangerous, loss of power steering at high speeds): 2nd time in less than 1 week vehicle has stalled while driving in motion on highway between speeds of 25mph (1st time) and 45 mph (2nd time). No turns involved. Weather conditions were favorable with no rain or inclement weather, both were at night 7-8pm timeframe @ approx 50 degrees F outside air temp both times. Vehicle is a 2010 Chrysler tc with 4.0 liter engine. 119,875 miles when it happened a second time. 1st time esp light came on, cannot confirm this occurred the 2nd time. No prior indications, no prior reported problems that I am aware of. Second owner, purchased car under warranty @ approx. 44,000 miles. Very hard to understand how this has not been diagnosed given the amount of complaints. I am an experienced mechanic in the aviation field, had this been an aircraft, the fleet would be grounded.

- Richmond, KY, USA

Nov 272015

Town & Country

While heading to my son's hockey tournament in Michigan's up with a van loaded with the entire family, I was traveling approximately 65 mph when the vehicle began to accelerate for no apparent reason. I attempted to turn off the cruise by pushing the coast button, I hit the breaks hoping that would stop the acceleration (it didn't) after accelerating to 80+ mph, I broke the cruise control lever off the steering column and pulled onto the shoulder. Eventually, the van slowed and the engine RPM's dropped. It was a hellava white knuckle ride and we were all glad it was over. Haven't tried the cruise control since.

- Wolverine Lake, MI, USA

Jul 142015

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. While driving approximately 30 mph, the accelerator pedal extended to the floorboard without warning and the rpms increased. The contact depressed the brake pedal with both feet and the accelerator pedal returned to its normal position. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that there was carbon built up in the throttle body that needed to be cleaned out. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 76,000. Updated 09/21/15

- Plainwell, MI, USA

Mar 112015

Town & Country 6-cyl

Out of nowhere vehicle stops running, no check engine lights, but van shuts off. This has happened a dozen or so times in the last few weeks. Took the van to local shop for diagnostic test. No codes appeared, tested fuel pump and egr value, not problems there. Mechanic unable to detect issue. I've noticed other complaints online and a recall for 2010 Chrysler T&C vans, but not my vehicle (built on 9/26/2012).

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

May 292014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Driving my Town and country Chrysler minivan and the engine shutoff without any warning! I almost got hit by the car behind me as I could not accelerate since the engine shut off. I put on my hazards and pulled over in order to put the van in park and restart the van. My kids were with me. We could have been severely injured if the car behind me had hit me.

Apr 032014

Town & Country 6-cyl

As I was driving my Town and country Chrysler minivan the engine shutoff on a main street. I almost got hit by the car behind me as I could not accelerate since the engine shut off. I put on my hazards and pulled over in order to put the van in park and restart the van. My kids were with me. We could have been severely injured if the car behind me had hit me.

Oct 192013

Town & Country 6-cyl

Driving my Town and country Chrysler minivan the engine shutoff on a Chicago interstate. I almost got hit by multiple cars behind me as I could not accelerate since the engine shut off. I put on my hazards and pulled over in order to put the van in park and restart the van. My kids were with me. We could have been serously injured if the case behind me had hit me.

Jul 052013

Town & Country 6-cyl

As I was driving my Town and country Chrysler minivan the engine shutoff on the interstate. I almost got hit by the multiple cars behind me as I could not accelerate since the engine shut off. I put on my hazards and pulled over in order to put the van in park and restart the van. My whole family was with me. We could have been severely injured!

Mar 052013

Dec 012014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle accelerated without warning. The failure recurred on two separate occasions. The contact was able to gradually slow the vehicle down by constantly depressing the brake pedal. The VIN was not available. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was not available. Updated 4/6/15 the consumer stated the vehicle accelerated twice. The consumer stated the vehicle continued to accelerate even when he removed his foot from the accelerator pedal. Updated 04/14/15

- Alma, MI, USA

Jul 012014

Town & Country 6-cyl

2010 Chrysler Town and country. Chrysler sudden acceleration the consumer stated as she was making a turn, the vehicle suddenly accelerated. Braking had no affect on the vehicle. She fell off the seat and the vehicle went over a curb. It continued to go down a hill and crashed into a fence, then hit some trees, the vehicle continued in speed, went down a curb, crossed the street, went over another curb and over a private property and then hit another fence. The vehicle finally came to rest.

- Syracuse, NY, USA

Dec 052014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Appears related to NHTSA action number: DP14004 problem: Sudden unintended and uncontrollable acceleration sudden unintended acceleration of our 2010 Chrysler Town and country touring was experienced on 2 occasions (8/2/14 and 12/5/14) nearly resulting in a serious accident on each occurrence. Both incidents occurred under similar circumstances. While traveling on a freeway @ approximately 65 mph bearing left (either to change lanes or on a curve ) and accelerating, the accelerator pedal drops to the floor with uncontrolled full throttle acceleration. Braking did not stop the acceleration and emergency evasive maneuvers were required to avoid serious accidents on both occasions. Shifting in and out of neutral several times was performed and eventually the accelerator returned to normal operation. I am unsure what caused the unintended acceleration to stop. Key information identical during both incidents: 1. engine oil was changed within days of each incident. Oil change reminder counter was reset using manufacturer reset procedure. 2. left turn signal was engaged. 3. traveling at approximately 65 mph when beginning acceleration (transmission downshifted). 4. throttle position was approximately 30-40% throttle to accelerate to pass or get up to speed after a curved freeway entrance ramp. 5. vehicle had been driven for approximately 25 minutes prior to sudden acceleration on each occurrence (however in two completely separate locations). 6. this occurred on 2 occasions with 2 different drivers. 7. both incidents occurred while on a freeway. 8. duration of incidents: Approximately 10-20 seconds. This appears to be a software bug (I am an it professional and electrical engineer by degree). This needs to be fixed immediately for the safety of my family and the general public.

- Leslie, MI, USA

Feb 122014

Town & Country

We have had several issues that vehicle will not start. Key turns but ignition seems to not acknowledge and fails to start vehicle. Happened even on a ferry one day. So far, no towing has been necessary. Very worried that if its an ignition issues, what if while driving it fails to keep car moving? we drive a lot of miles to and from fl and it is very concerning. My local mechanics cannot find any issues and I feel Chrysler has not addressed properly.

- Granite City, IL, USA

Jul 272014

Town & Country

Driving in residential area less than 20mph, rpms exceeded 3000, had to set foot on break hard to hold back vehicle from accelerating, gas pedal did not physically move and cruise control was not on, placed vehicle in neutral rpms remained high, had to shut down vehicle. Restarted rpms remained in normal range. Since incident vehicle runs very hot, no trouble lights on, oil and other fluid levels safe. Most recent smell of "hot" wiring melting/burning smell. Hood very hot to touch and cool air temperatures for weather conditions, blows very hot air through vents. Reported to dealership was told no trouble lights not much they can do as no current recall.

- Willimaston, MI, USA

Feb 232014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Twice my vehicle shut off while driving on a city road at approximately 35 mph. There were no dash warnings other than the electronic stability control icon was lit the first episode. The radio was working, all other dash lighting appeared normal for a car in operation. I had been driving about 20 minutes, so the car was not "cold". the first time, I did not even realize the car had stalled until I noticed it was losing speed and then found the car was not responding to the gas pedal. I coasted into the right lane and turned onto a side street (that's when I realized I had no power steering, no brakes, and the car was truly stalled). I continued coasting to a stop. I then put the car in park and attempted to restart it. It restarted immediately, running smoothly, so I continued on my way home wondering what could have caused it to die like that? less than a mile later, it stalled again! this time I put the car in neutral and while cruising/coasting turned the ignition key to start to try and re-start the car. I then put the transmission back into drive to see if it had restarted, and sure enough I was on my way again. No other indicators of an issue on the dash. It has not happened since. I went out on an errand later that evening and the episode did not repeat. I am quite nervous to take it on the interstate. My gosh! what if I had been on the interstate (75 mph speed limit) turning a curve, no power steering, slowing to a coast and panicked as to what was wrong? I have an appointment with a mechanic day after tomorrow, but unless a code was thrown indicating an error, it seems to be a somewhat isolated event, or at least intermittent event. Definitely seems to be a safety issue.

- Kearney, NE, USA

Feb 112014

Town & Country 6-cyl

I was on traveling on the interstate heading to my workplace. At approximately 1:45 pm ct, I moved to the fast lane in order to pass a vehicle. When I accelerated, the car shifted into a higher gear and then I saw the RPM gauge go almost to red line - as if I pressed the accelerator to the floor. The car accelerated rapidly and I quickly approached a dangerous speed. Taking my foot off the pedal did not help. There was no car mat stuck under the pedal and pumping the pedal did not resolve the problem. When braking, the car was fighting the brakes. I placed the car into neutral and the car began to slow down (curiously, the rpms also dropped!) - when I dropped below the speed limit, I put the car's gear back in drive. The car once again accelerated and the rpms rose again as if I floored the pedal. I tried repeating my same steps to no avail and then I once again placed the car in neutral. Due to the massive amounts of snow in the area, there was no shoulder for me to pull onto (occupied by snow piles) and there were no nearby exits (I was traveling northbound on I-294 having just passed the 95th street exit - next exit is several miles away) and to compound the issue, I had traffic in front and behind me. This was a freighting situation and I don't usually get scared easily! I took out my cell phone to get ready to call 911. While doing this I was looking for a safe time and place to put the car in neutral where I planned to just shut the car off when I could pull off somewhere so as not to kill anyone (or myself)... then, just as spontaneously as this all occurred, the rpms returned to normal. I was once again in control of the car. I would be happy to let investigators look at the black box data to verify my claim. I do not want someone to die over this engineering issue. Thank you for your interest in this matter.

- Highland, IN, USA

Sep 222011

Town & Country 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact was driving downhill with the cruise control set to 55 mph when he attempted to deactivate the cruise control but the vehicle would not respond. The contact shifted into neutral and was able to maneuver the vehicle. The failure recurred twice. The vehicle was taken to the dealer three times where the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 34,000. Updated 11/29/11

- Little River, SC, USA

Mar 192011

Town & Country

The contact owns a 2010 Chrysler Town and country. The contact stated that the vehicle would surge while in reverse. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer numerous times where they stated that the surging was a normal occurrence of the vehicle. The contact stated that the surging was a serious safety issue that could possibly result in a crash. The failure mileage was 33,500.

- Fruit Heights, UT, USA