2010 Chrysler Town & Country steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chrysler Town & Country:

2010 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Sep 232014

Town & Country

Engine stalled several times. Wireless ignition node was replaced and then found 2010 Town & Country had recall for same problem. I was charged $626.75 for this repair at dealer and claim our vehicle did not have this recall. However this vehicle had the exact same problem. Engine stalling resulted in the loss of power brakes, power steering and airbag loss. Luckily there was no accident at the bottom of the hill on a county road while my 3 children all under the age of 5 were in the vehicle.

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 122013

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving at random times the vehicle will completely loose power. The engine will shut off, no power brakes, or power steering. After a few seconds the traction control light and engine light will come on the dash. I can coast to a stop, put the van in park and turn the ignition to start and the van will start again. I can then put it in drive and everything is fine until it happens again at a random time. It appears that there are two recall notices for this year vehicle for the same problem but for some reason my van is not covered by either of these two recalls.

- Lowell, MI, USA

Sep 272014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Driving along secondary road when suddenly car looses all power. Vehicle looses all power steering, brakes, and looses all instrument panel cluster displays except the traction control light. Once vehicle is stopped, driver can shift into the park position, turn ignition to off position and restart engine. Vehicle powers up and driving can resume.

- Clarkston, MI, USA

Feb 122014

Town & Country

We have had several issues that vehicle will not start. Key turns but ignition seems to not acknowledge and fails to start vehicle. Happened even on a ferry one day. So far, no towing has been necessary. Very worried that if its an ignition issues, what if while driving it fails to keep car moving? we drive a lot of miles to and from fl and it is very concerning. My local mechanics cannot find any issues and I feel Chrysler has not addressed properly.

- Granite City, IL, USA

Jul 172014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Vehicle shut off, lost steering, brakes and all electrical, except for the stability control light which was illuminated. I was able to navigate to the side of the road. I was able to restart the car. This has happened several times since. Contacted Chrysler who said they had no info on any such problem.

- Heathsville , VA, USA

May 272014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Myself, my husband, & 3 young children were driving home at 45 mls an hour and the vehicle completely turned off. We lost power steering, power brakes and the engine shut off. We had to coast to a complete stop( thank god no one was behind us or around us) and put the van in park and it turned back on. So we started driving on, only to have the van shut off a second time while going uphill again at 45 mls per hour. The same things happened, power steering, power brakes and engine cutoff! again we were blessed that no one was around as there is no where to pull over! we put the van in park, it started back up and made it the one more mile home with no problem. We took the van to service center at the dealership ( we have bumper to bumper warranty) they kept the vehicle for almost 4 wks, while they had it, it shut down on them once but could not get the vans computer to "throw a code" to their computer. They wanted to give it back without doing anything to it, we asked that they at least address the recall issue of the win module (as this is described as exactly what was happening)they did this, however, the van has shut down on us two more times! they kept the van for a few days and replaced the win module again, although they still don't know for sure that it is the problem as my van will not " throw a code"! I now have a $400 a month van parked in my driveway and am in limbo until Chrysler Corp gets back to me! I refuse to trust their "best guess" with my family and others lives on the road.

- Mooresville , NC, USA

Jul 022014

Town & Country

I had the key fob in the ignition and when I went to turn off vehicle it would not turn off all the way. The key fob seemed to have separated somewhat. I wrestled with getting the vehicle turned off for a while and was finally able to get the key out and the vehicle turned off. When I went to turn the vehicle back on the key fob would not work. There was power to the fob. It would lock/unlock doors and the battery was fine. The key fob would not turn and could not get the car out of park or get the car to do anything. Had the vehicle towed to the dealership. They told me I needed a new win module. This was recalled and fixed in 2012. The dealership said it is not the same problem. I was told on the recall they fixed a component of the win module and now I need a whole new one for $800 and Chrysler will not cover this even though it is the exact same problem that the recall supposedly fixed. Car is only 4 years old with 54,000 miles on it. This should not be happening and Chrysler should fix it. I called Chrysler and it has been assigned to a case manager. We will see what the case manager says. I have read numerous complaints about this problem. For Chrysler to fix a problem on a recall and when that fix obviously did not work because same problem is happening to say it's not the same thing is completely unacceptable.

- Kingsland, GA, USA

Sep 262013

Town & Country 6-cyl

When driving at 45 mph and braking for a stop light, vehicle steering shakes left to right. I took the vehicle for inspection and was told the front rotors were warped. Service was done. The symptom went away for 2-3 months, today is 6/25/14 and I have the same problem again. The vehicle is 52000 miles now. I need a fix on this.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Oct 072013

Town & Country 6-cyl

It seemed to start when car is cold that when you started to pull out either forward or reverse you couldn't turn the steering wheel to left it seemed to be stuck then with a little force and when starting to roll it would start to move. It would do it in cold weather and every now and then when slowing down making left turn and I checked power steering fluid was good but now it seems to still be doing the same thing and only when turning steering wheel left still happens in the morning and it did start maybe back in Oct.

- Howell, NJ, USA

Mar 082013

Town & Country 6-cyl

While driving at slower speeds, my 2010 Chrysler Town & Country will just shut down. Power steering is lost, engine is completely shut off. This has happened about 5 times over the past month. In all cases we have had to pull off the road (if we could), remove the key from the ignition, then restart the vehicle. We are fearful this will happen at a higher rate of speed and we will get in an accident. We took the vehicle to the dealership and the diagnostics test did not find anything. The technician has been driving the vehicle around for a couple of days to try and duplicate the situation with no success. We are not sure what to do from here as we are now very uncomfortable driving this vehicle. Any help would be appreciated.

- Livonia, MI, USA

Mar 052014

Town & Country

I was turning a slow curve and I am not sure what caused it, but my engine turned off, my power steering and gas pedal failed. My brakes didn't seem to work as well and I had to come to a slowed stop and force my steering to turn onto an off road so I didn't cause an accident. When I came to a stop I turned the engine off and back on and the car started up right away and I have not had an issue since. I am not sure if I bumped the keys in the ignition or not. Unfortunately, I have had a few family emergencies and have had to reschedule the appt to get my car looked at and do not know the issue. I am concerned that it has to do with the recalls of cars with faulty key/ignition issues. I just bought this car that was supposedly certified back in November of 2013 with only approx. 37,000 miles on it. Should I give this back as a lemon and get a different vehicle?

- Saint Charles, MO, USA

Sep 012011

Town & Country

While beginning to drive the car display light of the dash board will show a slippery sign and the steering will lock up and engine turns off. You can not steer the car - you have to brake, place in park and start the engine back up. This happens twice or so a week. Happens also when going over a bump and in dry conditions(meaning it's not wet when light is displayed slippery). - already had the recall L25 done in August 2011. This is a huge problem for crashing the car (since you can not steer)! already caused an accident for me in wet pavement(02/2014).

- Smithton, IL, USA

Mar 152014

Town & Country

My wife and I purchased a 2010 Chrysler Town and country with a manufacture date of 11/10, about 2 weeks ago, and we immediately were having issues with the vehicles engine being shut off while driving. I did some research on the internet and found that the same model vehicle manufactured between August 3, 2009 and June 17, 2010 were recalled due to this same issue. Apparently they were built with ignitions that could accidentally switch from the "run" position to "accessory, " thereby causing the engine to shut off. But my same exact model vehicle is not covered by this recall because it does not fall within the manufacture date for the recall. I am highly upset at this because my wife is the main operator of this vehicle and my son is with her in the van. I want some answers about this issue, and a reason why my van is not in the recall when it is obvious that all vans of this model year are affected, I refuse to pay to have this fixed when it is obvious this is a manufacturers defect. Your recall I.D. is NHTSA campaign id: 11V139000. Thank you.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Mar 202014

Town & Country 6-cyl

The vehicle shuts off while driving. This caused an accident. This could have been death. The dealership wants to charge me $680 to fix it. Yes, this is an egr valve issue. This is not as though the sunroof wont open. The car turns completely off leaving no steering in the middle of driving, steering and turning. This is unbelieveable that this is not being addressed as of yet by Chrysler. I will be taking the company to court if this is not addressed by March 29, 2014. I carry infant babies in my car. This is my warning to Chrysler. Fix my van's egr and throttle so an innocent life is not taken from this earth.

- Plymouth, MI, USA

Dec 262013

Town & Country 6-cyl

This car shuts down of being driven about two hours. It shuts down at the end of a trip as I come into town and take my foot off of the gas. The dealership has test drove the car multiple times and they cannot find what the problem is. It is now apparent this is a much larger problem.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Feb 232014

Town & Country 6-cyl

Twice my vehicle shut off while driving on a city road at approximately 35 mph. There were no dash warnings other than the electronic stability control icon was lit the first episode. The radio was working, all other dash lighting appeared normal for a car in operation. I had been driving about 20 minutes, so the car was not "cold". the first time, I did not even realize the car had stalled until I noticed it was losing speed and then found the car was not responding to the gas pedal. I coasted into the right lane and turned onto a side street (that's when I realized I had no power steering, no brakes, and the car was truly stalled). I continued coasting to a stop. I then put the car in park and attempted to restart it. It restarted immediately, running smoothly, so I continued on my way home wondering what could have caused it to die like that? less than a mile later, it stalled again! this time I put the car in neutral and while cruising/coasting turned the ignition key to start to try and re-start the car. I then put the transmission back into drive to see if it had restarted, and sure enough I was on my way again. No other indicators of an issue on the dash. It has not happened since. I went out on an errand later that evening and the episode did not repeat. I am quite nervous to take it on the interstate. My gosh! what if I had been on the interstate (75 mph speed limit) turning a curve, no power steering, slowing to a coast and panicked as to what was wrong? I have an appointment with a mechanic day after tomorrow, but unless a code was thrown indicating an error, it seems to be a somewhat isolated event, or at least intermittent event. Definitely seems to be a safety issue.

- Kearney, NE, USA

Sep 262012

Town & Country 6-cyl

The vehicle had a complete loss of power. This has had on multiple occasions. I cannot steer or brake or do anything. I cannot start it from neutral. I have to put it in park turn it off and restart it. It has happened while going down the highway and pulling out into intersections. I'm really afraid it's going to cause an accident. This starting happening after my the key fob recall work was completed. This is a major safety hazard.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Dec 112012

Town & Country 6-cyl

The vehicle appears to be stalling while in motion. The steering wheel, brakes, and gas pedal all lock up leaving the driver unable to control the vehicle in any way. This has happened on at least 10 occasions. The local Chrysler dealership attempted to fix the vehicle, but was unable. Corporate was notified and sent out a corporate mechanic who was also unable to fix the vehicle. The vehicle has locked three additional times (since the last attempted repair) and both the dealership (who is now refusing to service the vehicle) and corporate (who have not returned calls or emails) have been notified. After conducting an internet search I see that this is not an isolated issue--it has been reported multiple times to the NHTSA as well as on other websites. This is a dangerous and defective vehicle. Chrysler has been notified of this defect on multiple occasions and is not doing enough to protect the safety of its consumers.

- Lusby, MD, USA

Oct 282011

Town & Country 6-cyl

Van will just quit without warning while driving! this has occurred 5X now... last time we came approx. 20 feet from going off of the side of mountain! vehicle is still not repaired and almost 350 miles from home! Chrysler has been contacted and will not do anything about it! we are being forced to seek legal council at this time!

- Lagrange, KY, USA

Feb 012012

Town & Country 6-cyl

This had happened several times since we bought this from the dealer. I would be driving and have no control over the van, I had to come to a stop and put it in park and then start it up again.very dangerous. My second complaint is a tire went flat less then a year of having the vehicle. I was told by the tire repair mechanic that there was a plug and these are 2008 tires and 2007 rims and that tube where the air goes in was brass and it should not be.he seemed to think they gave us used tire and rims on our vehicle. He said he has seen this where a dealer puts the newer rims and tires on another vechicle to sell it and us unsuspecting customers did not know they had been replaced.

- Puyallup, WA, USA