2011 Chrysler Town & Country miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Chrysler Town & Country:

2011 Chrysler Town & Country Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 212016

Town & Country

This car has had a non-start problem for 6 mos that has today developed into a complete power failure while driving. I was previously told it was a computer problem but there were no error codes and intermittent, so to wait until here was an error code and bring it back. Today they say that it is a bad alternator, but the alternator tested fine. The low battery icon comes on, engine surges ( like the cruise control is on - but it isn't) then error messages - seat belt/ ABS/airbag has deployed/blind spot detection not working, etc - all on and then off again. Turn the car off and wait and it will eventually resort - no warning lights. This car is possessed. But today I lost all power while driving.

- Decatur, IL, USA

Oct 312016

Town & Country

We bought our certified used van in may of 2012. In June of 2012 the alternator had to be replaced, as the battery light came on while driving on the highway. Within the first year of ownership it started having weird quirks: The rear heating system would come on while driving with the temperature controls off, the previously closed windows would be rolled down, and sliding door would be open upon returning to the locked van. In November of 2015 the key fob had become so sensitive to the touch that just a slight bump would make the lock indicator honk sound. We took it into a Chrysler dealership in December of 2015 and a new key fob and and software update stopped the honking, the sliding doors opening and the windows rolling down. The heating system continued to turn on by itself. In July 2016 the van started being hard to start. We had it towed to a garage in Michigan, where we were visiting, and we were told the code was a security issue between the fob and the starter. We drove it to a dealer in Michigan who could not duplicate the problem. Difficulty starting the van started again in October 2016, especially after a cold night. On October 31, 2016, while the van was off in the driveway I heard a noise like a vacuum coming from under the van. When I went to unlock and start the van it was dead. After having the battery replaced, the mechanic friend who replaced it heard the noise and said it sounded like the fuel pump running (while the car was off). The garage we took it to found that we had a faulty totally integrated power module (tipm). Some research has show us that this is a common problem for Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler vehicles that causes airbags to not work because the fuel pump runs constantly. The heating system turning on is also a symptom of this. Why if some Jeep/Dodge/Chrysler vehicles have a recall for this part are they not for all models?

- Rosedale, MD, USA

Sep 062016

Town & Country

Van at times would start then cut of while parked. When it would start and stay on when you are driving van would cut off now the van is at the Chrysler dealership in hopes of repair

- Walden, NY, USA

Jul 212016

Town & Country

7/21/2016 car started fine this morning went into store and would not start. Tried turning key about 8 times and then gave up for a minute or two. I tried again and it started. This happened about 1 month before while in my driveway. Same thing, I tried about 8 / 9 times then it started. I decided to call dealership today and have it taken in since I have a extended warranty. I also, did some research where a lot of people are saying that it is the tipm. I now noticed some of the other problems I have had with it tie into tipm, my driver window sometimes wont go up or down. The car will just lock even while running locking my keys inside. I can hear electrical things moving and shutting down after the vehicle is turned off, and about 2 weeks ago I was in park with the car running and I heard a loud pop and the whole car shut down. My check engine light also comes on and turns off whenever it feels like it for no apparent reason, I have 71,000 miles. When I bought the car I had to have the left head gasket replaced after having it towed from the ide of the road. I really think I bought a lemon, but will soon find out what the dealership says Tuesday which is the soonest they can get me in, hopefully I don't break down with my kids in it before then

- Garden Prairie, IL, USA

May 122016

Town & Country

5-12-16 ignition failed could not start car. Ignition replaced @ Chrysler dealership in richmond, va. Haley charged $985.22. Ignition failed again replaced @ Chrysler dealership in bath, NY simmons - rockwell charged $292.04.

- Bath, NY, USA

Jan 292016

Town & Country

My car shuts off while driving and wont start right away. It gives no warning. It happens anywhere. It is unsafe in many ways.. I have taken it ot the dealer and the problem persist. I have no more warranty in the vehicle.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Feb 042016

Town & Country

Vehicle invoved in accident on fwy, collision did over $6500 in damage. But the airbags never deployed. From looking thru internet I see that probs with the tipm can cause airbags not to deploy when needed. Have had other issues with tipm such as veh not starting on numerous occasions.

- Tustin, CA, USA

Feb 022016

Town & Country

My blind spot monitoring system is malfunctioning. My vehicle has 104,000 miles. The blind spot system sensors were previously replaced after a similar malfunction at 74,000 miles 1.5 years ago (8/15/14). The vehicle is well maintained and taken care of and most miles are highway miles to and from work. Both blind spot indicators remain lit in the side mirrors once the vehicle is turned on -- both while stationary and while driving. This is extremely distracting and a saftey risk when driving. Also the vehicle information center continued to chime about every 10 minutes and the message screen switches to a warning with the indication to "service blind spot system." While driving. A simple online search of "service blind spot system" brings up multiple complaints of the exact same thing having happened to owners of multiple years of this make and model of this vehicle. All of these complaints, on average, had roughly the same amount of miles (30,000 - 50,000 -- I am now at 30,000 miles from when the system was last replaced. The first replacement occurred at 74,835 miles). Chrysler charges $1,200 per sensor for replacement. This appears to be a recurring problem/defect and there should be a recall for this issue. Both sensors should be replaced by Chrysler at no cost to the owner. The system failure causes a safety risk due to the incessant distraction caused by the system failure warnings flashing on the dash, the chiming, and the triangle lights in the side mirrors, all which I have been unable to turn off.

- Ankeny, IA, USA

Jan 312015

Town & Country

2011 T&C, 50300 miles, having several ongoing problems with hard starts, hard shifting, power doors not staying open, closes automatically, extremely poor gas mileage.have had into dealer several times for these issues while under warranty and now again having problems and of course vehicle out of warranty. Vehicle has started by its self and have found power doors open when I returned to my vehicle. My current main problem is the ongoing issue of hard starts and now problem has escalated to crank and crank no fire, have to attempt several times (20-30), vehicle then will eventually fire RPM race to 3-4000rpms then stall, again several times of shutting off and attempting to start, eventually it starts sometimes taking 30 minutes to get it running. Also just today while driving vehicle attempted to stall rpms decrease, thankfully it did not stall as I was driving with my children in the vehicle in rush hour traffic. Definitely very concerned as this is a serious safety issue and an inconvenience. What happens when you are driving on the freeway going 70mph and the vehicle stalls, Chrysler definitely needs to do something due to severity of a safety issue

- St. Clair Shores, MI, USA

Nov 032015

Town & Country

Blind spot indicators began to malfunction with indicators in mirrors remaining on, and driver information system stating the blind spot indicator system failed. Also lost rear back-up camera shortly thereafter. Vehicle just has 41000 miles on it. It is a distraction as the unit constantly chimes of the blind spot monitoring being unavailable

- Canton, MI, USA

Dec 012015

Town & Country

Randomly closes the powered doors and doesn't stop when obstructed, several trips to the dealer and no issues found. Always when in park and with all 3 methods of opening the door, fod, manually and interior button. Warning lights keep coming off and on (check engine and tire pressure low) but service shop says no issue. Autostart doesn't work much of the time but service center says when check engine light is on it won't. I autostarted my car but it wouldn't let me press the brakes, push the start button, put it in drive to operate the vehicle then it died. I was able to start again but it immediately died again several times. I was tehn locked in and the lights and horn kept flashing, the locks would not unlock. It very frequently does not detect the key and will randomly beep that the key is not detected while driving and will not start at all with the key in hand.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Jan 142015

Town & Country

Purchased vehicle in August, 2014. In January 2015, after starting vehicle, blind spot system chimed and lights in mirrors stayed on steadily. System stated blind spot system not available. After much research, numerous complaints about this problem, and the cost to repair. This is a safety issue as it helps prevent crashes due to blind spots. Now every time I start vehicle, I have to listen to the chime informing me it is not operable. Vehicle had approximately 59,000 miles when this system failed.

- Oak Creek, WI, USA

May 012015

Town & Country

-Jan 2015- the key was lodged in the ignition and would not come out. I had it towed to nearest chry dealer to fix. - Jan to may- car intermittently stalls/won't start. Sometimes starts with a jump. -may- mechanic/battery installed $268. -June/July- car intermittently stalls/won't start. Starts if you wait a while. -August-won't start/wont jump/stranded with kids/towed to mechanic. -changed my batteries in my key fobs at least 3 times in 2015. -I am constantly stranded with my children and spend days without my car waiting for mechanics to find out the problem. The Chrysler dealer informs me that it's a minimum of $200 just to look at it. It will most likely be more if it's electrical and they need a day or two. I have to get my kids to and from school and can't pay for another car. Mechanic said to look at bulletins/info on tipm and win. Other chry year/makes have had exact same issues and were recalled. There is a class action suit for this year/make and many more. How am I still driving? I was given a tip by a mechanic: Open the hood and then the fuse box. Remove the M27 fuse. Wait 10 seconds. Replace fuse. Start car. It's been working so far! apparently, this clears a software lockup in the module.

- Whitman, MA, USA

Aug 202015

Town & Country

We can not get Chrysler to order parts and repair the recall for the rear quarter vent window switch. This is recall P25/NHTSA 14V-234. They never have the parts and are not willing to order the needed parts for the recall. They suggest calling them weekly to see if any part came in that week.

- Roswell, GA, USA

May 212014

Town & Country

While traveling on an interstate highway, the check engine light lit-up on the dash. I pulled off the road and called my dealer which was located 15 miles away and was told that I may not make it back to them for service. The engine would quit. I did drive to the dealer without incident. The alternator was replaced by the dealer at a cost of $577.35. The cause of the failure of the alternator was not identified, 14V-634 does not include the Town and country but includes other Chrysler, Dodge and Jeep vehicles of the same year. I am requesting that this vehicle be considered for this recall.

- Harrisburg, PA, USA

Jun 232015

Town & Country

The blind spot detection system stopped working. Upon further investigation, it was determined that both sensors in the rear quarter panels and 1 plug need to be replaced. The right rear sensor was completed corroded through and separated apart. The plug for this sensor is also melted from the corrosion. The left rear sensor has a large bulge in the plastic from over heating. I contacted the dealer and was told that this is a known problem but there is no recall. The estimate over the phone was $3,000

- Highland Heights, OH, USA

Dec 252014

Town & Country

Blind spot monitoring system failed. Warning triangles in both outside mirrors stay on constantly. Menu showed message to service blind spot monitoring system. From research on the internet premature failure of this system is common, and very expensive. There should be a recall since it is a safety system.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Jun 052015

Town & Country

Car would not start or turn over, air bag light came on!

- Pembroke, GA, USA

Feb 182015

Town & Country

I received a safety recall for the rear quarter vent window switch. When we went to the dealer to make an appointment to have it replaced, they told us they have requested this part numerous times with no success.

- Chiefland, FL, USA

Apr 232015

Town & Country

Blind spot monitoring intermittently working. Very dangerous for lane changes

- Round Lake, IL, USA