CarComplaints.com Notes: With questionable safety ratings, a faulty power control module (PCM) and a rear subframe that can rust out, the first model year Escape is known for problems. But the worst one of all? A design flaw that carried through multiple model years and caused dangerous unintended acceleration.

A lack of clearance between the engine cover and the speed control cable connector meant the throttle could get stick open when the accelerator was fully depressed. Following a petition from the Center for Auto Safety, NHTSA opened an investigation and eventually issued a recall to fix the sticky throttles in the 2001–2004 model years.

Even with the throttles fixed, the 2001 model year could still have trouble stopping due to multiple problems with leaking brakes.

3.3

2001 Ford Escape body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Escape:

2001 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Apr 302011

Escape

Bought my vehicle in January of 2010, complained of noise in front end, had it to the dealership that I purchased it from two different times for this issue, and within 5 months, the frame busted through in front on passenger side. The vehicle only has 82,000 miles on it and my major complaint is that it was in the garage and they inspected the noise changed parts on that side and there was absolutely no mention of the frame being compromised, and there is no way they should not have seen that there is a complete break in the frame. Every mechanic I called cant believe it. Now I have a vehicle that is totaled and three years to pay on it. I also had a yearly inspection just two months previously. Is there a recall on the frame of this type of vehicle? I am fortunate that the frame busted while my daughter was making a turn and not driving 55mph as she was just previously or with my beautiful 2 grandchildren in the vehicle. I believe she escaped death. This vehicle is my primary vehicle of which I drive my grandchildren and others children to games. This could have been a devastating outcome. I appreciate you looking into the frame work and conduct of the dealership for this 2001 Ford Escape with only 80,000 miles.

- Great Valley, NY, USA

May 022001

Escape

No summary listed for above vehicle.

- Lebanon, OH, USA