CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 172016

Escape

When I bought the vehicle from call lot tolled them brakes were going out he test drive and he said they were fine so I took his word then a few days later my water rateteravoter hose busted I had to get that them fixed and then they charged me to fix it then a few days later I here a thump on the back of my vehicle the whole back of my wheel area by the wheel was completely rusted out there no protection on the wheel and the strusts where busted they had stuff stuffed in it so you couldn't tell went to talk to them about it they say this happens there nothing they could for me but to charge me five hundred dollars to fix it I done nothing but have problems with this vehicle and this isn't the first one I've had problems with the are selling vehicle with safe hazards I paid out $1000 out on a car test drove it and guess I should of test drive it longer but I didn't I bought it and was on my way to put gas in it and the motor blow up. I had state police wait with me me and my 16 year old was stuck in high traffic because the motor blow state police said he had to get there and toll the car and he bought a trailer with a flat tired to try and toll it off the state police made him leave and called for a toll truck the car lot refused to give me my money back so I could go some where else so I bought a another car it was in fair condtion but when water stated hitting motor it ended up getting total by insurance company so still couldn't get money back made me pay out another $600 out for the vehicle and after I gave him the money he wrote out sold as is and could not trade vehicle or get my money back so I feel like he knew something was wrong with the vehicle because he didn't write this on the last two vehicles.

- Evansville, IN, USA

Apr 152016

Escape

After driving even short distances, the vehicle is real real hot.had new brakes put on and they still squeel

- Carson City, NV, USA

Aug 262015

Escape

The sub-frame rusted through causing both front wheels to toe out and also to camber in at the top. The ABS warning light also triggered. The steering now pulls to the left and there is tire squeel even on gradual right hand turns. There is a recall for this exact problem for the Ford Escape model years 2001-2004. It is obvious that this same problem exists for this model year 2005 Ford Escape. I verified that my VIN was not covered in the recall. I then called Ford to see if they would remedy the problem as it was obvious that this was the same problem as in their other recall - they said they couldn't help. This is a low mileage, well maintained vehicle so it should be obvious that the sub-frame is faulty.

- Cockeysville, MD, USA

May 182015

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 35 mph, the ABS caused the vehicle to slide even when the brake pedal was depressed. The ABS light illuminated after the failure occurred. The dealer diagnosed that the front passenger side tone ring malfunctioned and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 57,736.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Jan 062015

Escape

ABS and brake lamp on. No antilock brakes bearly stops.

- Orland Park, IL, USA

Jun 142015

Escape

The upper shock mount on the rear passenger side rusted right through and fell off which cut my breakline which could've led to a fatal accident. I also have a child, this is extremely dangerous and should be recalled. The system check and ABS light never came on either.

- South Lyon , MI, USA

Apr 162015

Escape 6-cyl

I have a 2005 Ford Escape took it to a shop today because of the banging from the suspension. When the mechanic put the car on the lift he saw that the entire wheel well around the shock absorber was rusted completely out. The extra stress on the shock absorber caused the bolt on the top to break off. The stress also caused the rear break line to fray almost to the point of breaking completely. This car is no longer safe to drive. I am just happy that my break line didn't break while I was on the road. I do not really know what options I have with the car since it is the only car I own and I have no other way to get to and from work.

- Lees Summit , MO, USA

Mar 192015

Escape

I was driving on the freeway in the fast lane at 60mph and a car cut me short and brake so I applied my brake my wheel had yanked to the left and I tried to gain control of the wheel by pulling it to the right but it yanked again to the left causing me to hit into the median due to the impact my car turned over and dragged across the other 3 lanes and titled back over. Although my car is totaled I sustained minor injury to my neck and left side. Also my airbags did not deploy.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Feb 072015

Escape

I had to have tone rings replaced on ABS system on drivers and passengers side front wheels. Had the work done at Ford dealership 2 months ago. Yesterday I was pulling out on to main road and lost all brakes.

- Vernon, CT, USA

Mar 152012

Escape 6-cyl

Have had to replace all 4 flexible brake hoses. The rf failed on 3/15/2012 at 82553 miles, the lf failed on 11/7/2013 at 98681, the rr failed on 8/28/2014 at 111325, the lr was inspected and replaced on 8/29/2014, since a severe crack was found. In all 3 cases, the hose failures led to a total loss of braking.

- Glen Ellyn, IL, USA

Jul 042014

Escape

Second time in 3.8 years ABS and 4X4 brakes broke, ABS flashing, steady on, 4X4 flashing loose brakes tone ring issues, Ford does not recognize there are issues, tons of complaints excessively expensive to fix, unsafe, also suspension baring joints brake easy, brakes wear out fast, I drive under 12K a year. Exhaust a piece of junk, there should be recalls, they refuse to acknowledge issue.

- Franklin, MA, USA

Jul 052014

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I was backing out of my garage into my driveway, when I tried to stop there was no brake control at all. I kept accelerating down the driveway stomping on the brakes several times until I was able to stop the car briefly enough to throw the car back into park. When I exited the vehicle I noticed a puddle on my garage floor as well as all over my driver side front tire. I checked the brake fluid level and it was completely empty. I had it towed to a service garage and they diagnosed the issue as being a corroded and ruptured drivers side brake line and a passenger side brake line that was cracked in several places. I have since seen a few dozen complaints on this site regarding the same issue with my vintage Ford Escape. I cannot believe there has not been a recall on this issue. Both the tow truck driver and the service garage said they have had numerous Ford with the same issue. I'm very disappointed in Ford for not issuing a recall on something as dangerous as brake functioning. I have been a lifelong Ford buyer but now I am thinking twice about buying another one.....even though I love my Escape and was going to be purchasing another one within the next year. I hope that no one is injured or god forbid dies because of this issue. Ford owes it to their owners to perform recalls on any issue that could be dangerous or life threatening. I of course told everyone I know that owns a Ford Escape to have their brake lines checked immediately before it's too late.

- Andover, MN, USA

Apr 122014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the brakes malfunctioned and failed to stop the vehicle. The contact indicated that when pressing the brake pedal the pedal was pushed to the floorboard. The contact had to use the parking brake to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the brake lines had corroded and the brake fluid had drained from the vehicle. The vehicle was repaired and the defect was remedied. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Dearborn Heights, MI, USA

May 282014

Escape 4-cyl

Brakes failed completely despite one month prior servicing of brakes at local bill brandt Ford dealership in brentwood California. Alarm sounded when traveling on highway, brakelight illuminated and no brake. Grandmother driving granddaughter barely missed collision with stopping traffic. Two mechanics later reveal costly control unit is to blame. Easy internet research shows many others with same experience. This is a safety issue, do not understand why no recall has been issued unless Ford is waiting for fatality first.

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Jun 282013

Escape

I was in accident where I hit another vehicle in which when tried to break they did not work. No skid marks where there and should have been. Totaled my truck Ford SUV XLT (sport) and the driver of other car. Passenger airbag never went off. I had concussion and burns 2nd degree on both arms. Still have scars. Other vehicle at light stopped and when I tried to stop it was like gas pedal was stuck and break did not work so pulled up emergency break. I never got any notice on recalls on my 2005 until now. Which could have killed someone. The police report stated no skid marks.

- Huntersville , NC, USA

May 022014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the driver attempted to engage the brakes but the pedal sunk to the floorboard. The contact mentioned that the vehicle failed to stop and crashed into another vehicle. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that both the driver and passenger side brake lines had failed. As a result, the brake lines and hoses needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 120,000.

- Lafayette, IN, USA

Jan 062014

Escape 6-cyl

The right rear shock tower rusted through the wheel well into the rear compartment breaking a hole through the interior compartment. There is currently no parts in stock to repair this as we are told they are on nationwide backorder and this is a huge safety issue. The other rear shock area has a significant amount of rust also. Approximately 1 week later both break lines broke from severe corrosion while moving at approximately 10 mph (pulling in my driveway). I was fortunate this happened there and not on the highway as I could have been in a very serious accident along with my 3 year old son. These two things should not be happening with the age of this vehicle. The body should be holding up better than this. I just saw there was a recall for model years 2001-2004 for severe rust issues one resulting in a crash. The manufacturing date of my vehicle is 09/2004.

- Escanaba, MI, USA

Mar 302014

Escape 6-cyl

Iwas driving 30 mph went to apply brakes had none, pulled emergency brake handle it worked got me stopped, got home looked under SUV brake fluid everywhere arounddriver side front wheel, took wheel off found the rubber hose deteriorated blew out, my question is why did the braking system allow all fluid to drain, if you front brakes fail from blown line, should not the rear brakes retain fluid in the reservoir and rear brakes still work, is this a 2005 Ford Escape flaw.

- Youngstown , OH, USA

Feb 112014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the brake pedal erroneously traveled to the floorboard and became inoperable. The failure was experienced while contact was at a traffic stop. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic, who advised that the front passenger's side brakes needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- South St Paul, MN, USA

Jan 232014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph over a road bump, a loud rattling noise was heard from the rear exterior passenger's side. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the contact noticed that the rear shock was completely detached and the brake line had ruptured. A certified mechanic inspected the vehicle and informed the contact that the shock mount and wheel house assembly would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 103,000.

- Brighton, MI, USA