CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Jul 112012

Escape

While driving on the expressway, my gas pedal snapped forward by itself and accelerated my car. Then snapped back and hit my foot in the position it was already in. This has happened before, several times over the course of my ownership of this car. (I bought it new) I ignored it the first few times because I thought it was related to being on cruise control, but this was not always the case. I saw on fox news that there is an ongoing investigation; and called Ford to see if they would repair my car and they said no. I am hoping they will have a recall, because I plan on keeping this car for awhile, and don't want to pay for the repairs. Thanks.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jun 222012

Escape 6-cyl

We were accelerating to get on the interstate when the vehicle suddenly died without warning. No telling what would have happened if we were driving at freeway speeds. We coasted to the breakdown lane and had the vehicle towed to the Ford dealer who stated the computer (PCM), all the coil over plugs (cop) and spark plugs were damaged and needed replacement. This is a known issue as it is described exactly in Ford service bulletin tsb 09-2-6. the spark plugs in the 2005 and 2006 cause radio frequency interference with the PCM which damages the PCM and the other components. The least Ford could have done was notify us that replacing the spark plugs could have prevented this very expensive repair. The problems don't end there. A few days after the repair we were again accelerating to get on the interstate when the vehicle lost power and would not go over 50mph. We brought the vehicle back to the Ford dealer who stated the catalytic converters (there are 3 of them) were clogged due to raw fuel coming in contact with the converters probably due to the previous engine problems. The cost to fix the converters is even more than the cost of the initial repair. We've decided to not have the dealer repair the vehicle as the total cost of all the repairs would exceed the value of the vehicle. We called Ford customer service and they were of no help in this situation. I think Ford should cover the costs of these repairs for an issue knew existed. I don't understand why there hasn't been a recall for this problem as I see that it has happened to a lot of other 2005 Escapes listed in your database. I imagine we will more of these failures as these vehicles age.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Jun 142012

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

While driving down the road car just quit towed to dealership only to find out the computer shorted out which also destroyed all the coils. I just printed out 13 pages of this having happened to other Escape owners and that a Ford service bulletin (09-2-6) was at one time issued--- this will cost a ton of money to correct for a problem Ford has known about for some time. When mine quit I had smoke pouring out from under the hood so there was a potential for a fire and just quitting with no warning-- why has Ford not had a recall on this issue for what could have been a life threatening situation?

- Pavilion, NY, USA

May 282012

Escape 6-cyl

My car stalled on a major highway. Diagnosed with a defective PCM. Ford has been aware of this common problem with this particular vehicle.

- Cohoes, NY, USA

Jun 012005

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving 65 mph, the engine stalled and none of the warning lights illuminated. The contact was able to drive the vehicle to the side of the road. The vehicle would not restart; however, the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer and the ignition coil was replaced. The failure recurred three more times and each time the coils were replaced. The PCM module was also replaced twice. The failure mileage was 26,000 and the current mileage was 106,000. Updated 10/10/12 the consumer stated driving 55mph the vehicle suddenly stopped. Two cars that were behind swerved into a ditch in order to avoid collision. Updated 10/15/2012

- Kansas City, MO, USA