Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

May 082016

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving 20 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but the failure could not be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 154,235.

- West Dennis, MA, USA

Mar 092016

The vehicle began to stall and die while driving. Before the incident no previous warning signs had been present. The day the incident occurred the vehicle began to rock back and forth during a complete stop. When the vehicle began driving again everything seemed fine, until the several warning lights flashed on and then off (engine, tire pressure..) and the vehicle speed began to reduce. After a moment the speed returned to normal, and then the vehicle lost power and died on a city street. I restarted the car and resumed driving, but within 5 minutes the warning lights flashed on/off again and the car lost power and died again. This happened 3 times within an 30 minutes as I drove to the Ford service center. On the 3rd time the car was stopped at a red light and began to move back and forth, and started to lose power. When the light turned green and I began to turn the vehicle it again lost power. After the 1st power loss I headed to the Ford service center which was located 5 miles away. The vehicle died 3 times before I reached the service center. The service center determined that it was the throttle body assembly.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 182016

The idler pulley bolt breaks about every 3 months of regular routine driving. Going on replacement number 4

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Jun 052009

The 2.3 lt that was in this began using oil around 75000 miles and the dealer done all the oil changes since it was new.. they could not find were it was going.. we'll after about 3 years of constantly watching the oil, , it finally let go. The motor was junk no good. Put a different motor in it with around 50000 miles.. well that one did not make it to a 100000 miles.. I take care of my autos, so I know how to take care of things.

- Alanson, MI, USA

Jun 212016

Hi I have a 2005 Ford Escape & up into about and year I started had having engine failure, my vehicle would start & stop, to sum this up, im affaid to drive when this accures praying that know 1 runs into the back of me...ive tooken it to the auto place to get a reading & ive replaced everything that it read ignition coils (twice), fuel filters, tune A/C compressor, wouldnt come on etc....I can go on & on..& im still having the same problems & finally ive decided to google these accurances, to find that there's other vic..that has occurred theses same incidents....this is a serious matter, that Ford needs to address / resolved before someone doesn't make it. Vic. Just shutting down in the middle of traffic....& it also accures while stationary & while turning, this has been going on since Oct. Of 2015 & in between replaceing parts it stalled for a while of the killing & now it has started back up full force about a week ago. 6/13/2016 & today is the 6/21/2016

- Kenner, LA, USA

Apr 152016

After driving even short distances, the vehicle is real real hot.had new brakes put on and they still squeel

- Carson City, NV, USA

Jun 072016

Bought used the vehicle intermittently would stall, put in neutral it would crank right up and idle fine, until you put in gear and it would stall out, wait awhile and it would run fine, and it might go 2,3 or 4 weeks and not stall. Now it will not go at all, cranks up put it in gear and it is like it is not getting fuel and stalls out. I have had it to some repair shops and they can not find any problem, but I have one mechanic telling me it is the torque converter and might as well redo transmission also. I am disabled and a veteran on a fixed income and depend on my vehicle to take me to my doctor appts, grocery store, church etc. So any help or information on this issue would be greatly appreciated, also I don't know if it makes any difference but my father worked for fmc for 48yrs.

- Lafayette, GA, USA

Mar 012016

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at 25 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. In addition, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. An independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the engine coils and the spark plugs needed to be replaced, inspected the vehicle. The vehicle was repaired. However, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 152,000.

- Fort Stewart, GA, USA

Feb 202016

Bought my 05 XLT Escape last May 2015 and all of a sudden it started to shudder stall while idling and just completely die when I was driving on the highway! got the codes read and it said I had a misfire on cylinder 2, so I put new coils and spark plugs in it but it's still not working! still doing a misfire and it's running bad when it decides to crank up! now it's not even drivable.

- Fort Stewart, GA, USA

Mar 042016

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. After coming to a stop, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Feb 092015

While driving vehicle shuts off without warning, usually restarts but have had it towed. Car has been back to dealer 11 times in 12 months for same problem. No rhyme or reason can be city or highway. It is usually preceded by interior light and or door adjar light coming on, after stall happens check engine light comes on. Dealer has replaced countless fuel and emmision parts including ECM and coils, fuel pump etc. This has been an ongoing problem since day of purchase, this car is unsafe and appears Ford doesn't know how to fix it. Vehicle last left us sit in Florida, after 2 weeks and $3200 in repairs on 12/21/2015 the check engine light and interior light came back on 2/2/2016

- Lancaster, PA, USA

Dec 292015

Was driving my car to work - at first if didn't want to start but cranked fine. Let it sit idle and headed to work - 1/2 to work stopped at a light where it started to shudder like it was going to stall (never had any issues before and still no warning lights). Got thru the intersection and loss all power on the busiest street in bowling green. I didn't even have enough power for my emergency blinkers. Stuck where I was was a hazard of me being hit - had it towed to mechanic thinking it was the alternator. Alternator and starter both good - once put on the diagnostic machine - the car started smoking and sparking. End result - I have at least 3 coils, potential fried wire harness and PCM failure (a logged complaint but never a recall). The potential fix with no guarantee that this wouldn't happen again is 5-8K. My family could have been severely hurt if someone would have plowed into us. This is not a safe vehicle at all!

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Nov 152015

Drove from Washington state to Utah on family vacation 14nov15. Filled up with gas in boise, I.D. and 1 mile into that drive felt a surge and then slight loss of power driving at 70mph. Then it was fine. When we got into spanish fork, ut. We had a loss of power when we came off the high way and contacted our friend who's dad owns his own mechanic shop K&K auto in spanish fork, ut. He got the codes cleared and said the codes were not making any sense as to the possible loss in power. The vehicle ran real good after getting codes cleared. The next morning we headed out on I15 on our trip to our vacation destination and it did it again as we got on the high way, I use an injector cleaner in case that was the problem as my friends dad had suggested. We got to fillmore, ut. And we loss total power and steering control. We coasted off onto an exit ramp there we were about to pass when it happened. Had our vehicle towed to the only mechanic opened at the time on a Saturday afternoon. He said the same thing about the codes. Then he said we had a bad catalack-converter. We had it towed back to our friends dads shop an hour and a half North. The next day he said he thinks it may be the coils but the codes say all of them. So we had him take it to Ford in provo, ut while we rented a car and had some of our vacation, most of it we missed spending days waiting on a word from Ford service after we got in from our couple of days we did get in of our vacation. We thought they were going to do the work while we were gone, but no. Now we are home after paying $730.- for injectors and a new coil. (I thought) they still have our vehicle in the bay getting new catalack converters put on(both) and is an additional $1900.- plus to make it worse they called today and said all the coils have to be replaced. I thought that was done, apparently not, and this is not rare for 2005 Escapes, oh.

- West Richland, WA, USA

Jun 302014

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, the engine stalled. The vehicle was not able to restart. The failure recurred on one occasion. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the engine needed to be repaired. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 167,000.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 282015

On two occasions, while driving the car has stalled. During stops at red lights-if I do not hold brake and hit gas simultaneously the car stalls. It has cut off twice when I failed to do this. Also, while driving it loses gas while pressing gas for several seconds then speeds up hastily where I would run into another car if I don't quickly slam brakes. Happened end of July and in August 2015. Also, had oil change at Ford dealer and they reported nothing wrong.

- Halethorpe, MD, USA

Sep 102015

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. Hile driving at 65 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 168,000.

- East Hampton , NY, USA

Jul 012015

This vehicle was maintained regularly... there were no leaks/ no warning...the oil magically disappeared...lucky we were only traveling local and and a low speed. Simply put...the engine blew/ceased with research I have found many owners having the exact same problem. I was am shocked at the sudden engine failure and that others have the same issue, means we didn't do anything to cause this problem.

- Manahsset , NY, USA

Mar 072015

I was driving home from work and my car would not switch gears, the car stalled and caused me to get into an accident causing damage to the back of my car and the front. I had not had the car for a year.

- Troy, MI, USA

Jun 042015

I was driving home from wok at 10:15pm when the engine completely shut down. I had the vehicle towed to the local Ford dealer. They determined there was a problem with the PCM and coils. A family member had had the same problem with her 2005 Ford Escape. I checked with the dealer to see if there was a recall for this problem, but was told there was not. Hower, information on stated that there was a recall issued in October, 2014. I was not notified of the recall. Upon calling Ford, I was told that my vehicle was not part of the recall, and the vehicle is out of warranty, and I was responsible for the repair. The total cost of the repair was over $2,00, which I feel I should be reimbursed for. How can Ford pick and choose which vehicles they will repair? evidently safety is of no concern to them.

- Placida, FL, USA

Jul 242015

Our daughter was driving her 2005 Ford Escape. She had just gotten on the turnpike - as she was driving the dash board lights started flashing and the car started slowing down - the steering wheel locked up and the car died. She luckily was able to get to the side of the highway and was not hurt. It was about 99 degrees outside at 2:00 in the afternoon. We had to have a tow truck take the vehicle to a car repair shop. It was determined that the spark plugs and coil had burned up and it would be $2,200 to repair the car. After looking online, this is S common problem with 2005 Ford Escapes. There are no recalls. Ford has said to keep the receipt in case there are recalls in the future. That is little relief from the fact that we are out $2200 now and don't feel safe having our daughter driving this vehicle any longer. She has had regular maintenance on her car. One other problem with vehicle is that the leather interior has started coming off the side door panels - it's like the adhesive has just worn out. We have tried to fix this but it looks bad and no one will guarantee a repair on it because they say it's a manufacturing error and it is a difficult repair. This 2005 Ford Escape should be considered a lemon!! we have always driven Ford with no problems - very disappointing.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA