Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 6 of 6)

Feb 042010

I recently purchased a 2005 Ford Escape from my cousin. As I was purchasing the vehicle he did explain to me how the pedal would stick on cold days. Going into buying it from him I soon realized what he meant. He had taken it in to the Ford dealership to get it fixed. They sprayed a cleaner on the throttle body to remove residue. When I heard of the Toyota recall I called whoolwhine Ford Lincoln Mercury here in ms where I live to see if my vehicle was also one. I was told that this was not the first time he had heard this and to spray stuff in the throttle body until it wouldn't let me anymore. Well, I am very worried about this situation. As a mom with a small child, I worry about the majority of other people and families that my die from this malfunction. What it does is the pedal gets so hard to push until you can not get gas to the ignition to make the vehicle go. I have had this happen to me several times. I can even crank the Escape long before my journey and it still sticks. Well, yesterday was the worst day ever. I am a mom and a student in school. I had gotten to school and finished my class when it was time to leave. I got in the vehicle and started to leave oh boy the pedal worked. I got to the first intersection to where when it was my time to go the pedal was hard. I had to coast through it and pull over. Finally got it soft again and went to the closest place to get a bite to eat. Sat there for at least 5 min letting it run hoping it would fix the problem for that time. When I was leaving it was hard again and I had alot of vehicles behind me so I coasted to the nearest bank. It took 10 minutes for me, while I kept pushing on my gas pedal for nothing. It is so hard you cant make it go. So, in telling you this that is 3 times I could of had a crash. I take my daughter to school and some morning I pray all the way that I make it without anything harming her. It is bad when you end up coasting through an intersection.

- Mize, MS, USA

Jun 012009

Escape 4WD

I have a 2005 Ford Escape (4WD), not the hybrid. I have approx. 63,000 mi on it now. Three times since I've owned it the car has suddenly started accelerating on it's own. The last time was approx. The date below, and that was the only time I was using the cruise control. One time I was in town and luckily there wasn't anyone close in front of me. So far braking, or pressing the accelerator has "reset" it, but now seeing this problem with the Toyota's I'm concerned. I E-mailed Ford about the problem, however I kind of got the brush-off, and they just said if I was concerned I should take it to my dealer and have it checked. I know a "check" would cost me a large amount of money for an intermittent problem for which they won't find the problem. I just wonder if you've heard of anyone else having this problem? it now worries me that if I were nearing a crosswalk, with pedestrians crossing and it happened, I might hit someone. Please advise. Thank you for your time.

- Highland, IL, USA

Dec 202009

Escape 6-cyl

Ford Escape 2005 V6 2wd limited. The engine suddenly shuts off while driving. When this happens the theft light is flashing. This generates an error code. The condition is known to Ford. They say it is related to a possible issue with a spark plug causing interference with the communication between the chip in the ignition key and the receiving unit. I have had this happen 4 times in one 300 mile drive. After having the error code cleared the problem has not repeated. I believe if this were to happen on a busy freeway lives could be lost. Once the vehicle has confirmed the key is valid and the engine has started, the computer should not be allowed to disable the engine. Braking and steering control are affected when this happens.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Jan 242010

My 2005 Ford Escape's gas pedal is sticking. I will be sitting at an intersection, and suddenly when pressing the gas pedal it will not accelerate. It is as if there is a brick under the pedal and it's completely stuck. This has happened at numerous times when attempting to drive forward into an intersection or when pulling out into traffic, and has almost caused a severe accident. There have been numerous reports of this happening to Ford Escapes, so please investigate further before there are any additional injuries or deaths. There needs to be a recall.

- Leander, TX, USA

Dec 062009

I have a 2005 Ford Escape and was having problems with the gas pedal sticking. When pressing on the accelerator pedal, it would not move. I took my vehicle to the dealer and they replaced the throttle body. This part has been replaced three times. [12/20/06, 10/8/08 and 12/6/09] the part is evidently defective and causes a safety issue. I shouldn't have to pay for it to get fixed every time. They need to issue a recall.

- Aberdeen, MD, USA

Dec 092009

Accelerator pedal keeps getting stuck. While driving my son to school this morning I turned the corner pressed the accelerator it felt like a brick was under the pedal. Luckily I was able to just glide to the curb before getting struck by a bus. Scared the "bleep" out of both of us. It's not the first time it has happened, usually it happens in the winter after sitting overnite. Help what is the problem so I can get this fixed. This is very, very, very dangerous.

- Hamilton, NJ, USA

Oct 302009

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While entering a parking space she lightly applied pressure to the accelerator pedal, and then the vehicle accelerated without intention. Brake application would not stop the vehicle as a consequence she crashed into cables of a wall. The vehicle was towed to a local repair facility. A mechanic concluded that should would have to pay up to $2000 in repairs. The model year was excluded from recall # 04V574000 (vehicle speed control:cables). The failure and current mileages were 60000.the vehicle identification number was unavailable.

- St Paul, MN, USA

Jul 172009

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 10 mph on normal road conditions pressure was applied to the accelerator pedal; however, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The driver repeatedly applied pressure to the accelerator pedal for twenty minutes and was able to resume normal operation. The failure occurred in the morning vs throughout the day. The vehicle will be taken to an authorized dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact was concerned about the safety risk involved. The failure mileage was 97,000 and the beginning rental mileage was 99,386.

- Upland, CA, USA

Feb 012009

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. While driving between 25-55 mph, the throttle will stick and the contact must wiggle the pedal to get it loose. The dealer stated that carbon builds up in the throttle body and causes it to stick. The contact believes that a crash could occur due to the high acceleration. The current and failure mileages were 35,000.

- Menomonee Falls, WI, USA

Mar 162008

The accelerator sticks when revving the engine while letting out the clutch. After exerting an increasing amount of pedal pressure, it suddenly unsticks, and the engine overrevs. This results in a jack rabbit start. The Ford dealer said that only fix is to replace the throttle body assembly, which is not covered by the warranty. I believe this is a safety issue and is a good candidate for a recall.

- Federal Way, WA, USA

Feb 142008

2005 Ford Escape gas pedal sticking, to the point where I went to get in my car and drive and the pedal would not budge. Had throttle body replaced and exactly one year later it is doing the same thing. Tried wd-40 to no avail.

- Keystone Heights, FL, USA

Dec 022007

Escape 4-cyl

Gas pedals sticks. This is an intermittent problem. There was a recall for this same issue for 2001-2004 vehicles. My vehicle is a 2005. This is still an issue.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 052006

Escape 4-cyl

2005 Escape accelerator pedal became stuck at idle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but they were unable to duplicate the problem.

- Unknown, DC, USA

Nov 012006

Escape 4-cyl

: the contact stated the accelerator pedal stuck causing the vehicle to lunge forward into traffic. It was stopped by depressing the brake pedal to the floor. The dealer replaced the throttle body five times however the problem recurred. Updated 11/30/2006 - the accelerator becomes stuck while attempting to accelerate from a stop or from park. This problem occurred more frequently when the weather was cold.

- Mammoth, WV, USA

May 232006

Escape 4-cyl

: the contact stated while turning into a parking lot at low speed, the vehicle lurched forward without warning. The vehicle stopped forward motion when the contact applied brake pressure. Also, the automatic transmission makes a clunking noise while shifting gears. Additionally, the key is difficult to turn in the ignition. In spite of the ongoing problems, the vehicle was not inspected by the dealer.

- Galesburg, IL, USA

Apr 132006

Escape 6-cyl

: the contact stated while backing the vehicle out of a parking space, the engine fully accelerated. The vehicle was out of control, however the brakes were applied and the motor turned off. This stopped the vehicle without incident. This has happened on 2 occasions. The vehicle was taken to the dealer however the problem could not be duplicated. The manufacturer was alerted. Updated 05/02/06.

- Royal Oak, MI, USA

Jan 062006

Escape 6-cyl

My 2005 Ford Escape will accelerate unexpectedly while driving down the highway. The accelerator pedal would slam to the floor, the engine and the car would speed up and the pedal would immediately return to the up position. This has happened five time in the last year. The last two times listed below I find that the same problem has been posted on the internet in various sites, some resulting in crashes. This does need to be investigated immediately.

- Postville, IA, USA

Oct 182005

Escape 6-cyl

The contact stated the vehicle surged and lurched forward. The vehicle was inspected by a certified dealership three times. The service engineer drove the vehicle and concluded the vehicle was running normally. No repairs have been made.

- Lake Wood, OH, USA

Apr 012005

Escape 6-cyl

The contact stated vehicle surged forward while braking four times. The vehicle was taken to the dealership twice. They were unable to duplicate the problem. Therefore, nothing has been done to correct the problem. This happened at any particular speed.

- Vacaville, CA, USA