CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Oct 192009

Escape

First time it happened in 2009, I was driving on the freeway in traffic when the traffic began to accelerate, when I depressed my accelerator it was like pressing against a wall. My car was moving from the natural force from when I was braked but it would not accelerate, I had to steer my car to the shoulder and stop. When I stopped I made a phone to a friend of mine to tell them to come and get me because my car wasn't working. As I was waiting for them I decided to start my car and press the accelerator, when I did it worked so I went ahead and drove home. This happened approximately 3 more times that year but on these occasions once I would attempt to depress the accelerator as I was driving it would then work. I made a note to get it fixed but by this time it was the spring and it never happened again until winter 2011. I this point I had my neighbor look at it(who is a mechanic) and he said it was the throttle cable, he sprayed it with some WD40 and it seemed to work, well that was only for about 2 days, because it stuck again one morning on the way to work. At this point I took it to a mechanic to get the throttle cable fixed. Unfortunately, at the time I took it in I wasn't able to "recreate" the problem. I explained the shop the problem and they too felt as though it may be the cable, I spent around $300 for the part and labor to have it replaced. Well that was November of 2011 and it is now Feb 2012 and it happened again this morning. As other's have reported I am thankful that as I was making the left turn that it was a protected left, due to the light, because that's when my accelerator failed. I had to pull over wait around 15min. And then it worked. Just would like a straight answer to the fix. This car just got paid off in 2010 and I want to feel like it is an asset and not a liability to my family.

- Lanham, MD, USA

Jan 072011

Escape 4-cyl

While driving vehicle at 50 mph the gas pedal, throttle became stuck. This occurred as I was entering the highway, the speed of the vehicle immediately started to slow, this was an extreme hazard as traffic behind me had to go around me, I was pressing the gas pedal and it was like pressing a brick. I was very lucky no one rear ended me going 60mph. This occurs in cold weather (under 45 degrees), but I can see from previous complaints that it will happen in warm weather too eventually. I guess Ford will not issue a recall until a fatality occurs. I am in the process of finding a mechanic that I can afford to get the throttle body replaced at my expense, as Ford dealers are not offering any help for me.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Dec 132010

Escape

The first issue I had with my car was in December of 2010. I immediately took my car to a repair place and they told me that the coils and the plugs were out and that they needed to be replaced. I assumed that this was just time to get this repaired because my car was right over the 100,000 mile mark. Everything seemed fine until may of 2011 when the problem returned. This time I took my car to a Ford service center. This time I noticed that my car would run ok up to about 35 mph and then after that speed it would start jerking. If I take my foot off the gas it stops, but if I leave my foot on the gas and continue to accelerate, the car shuts off completely. I haven't taken my car anywhere that I have to drive over 45mph but recently I noticed that if I try to accelerate past 35, that instead of jerking to turn my car off, the harder I push the gas, it feels like I am pushing the brake with that same intensity when I haven't even touched the brake. Im afraid that while pushing the gas, the car is going to brake and that someone else is going to slam into the back of my car and hurt my 2 yr old son in his carseat in the back. I avoid driving this car unless I absolutely have to because it is dangerous. It seems that many other owners of the same car I have are having the same or a similar issue. This really needs to be checked into because Ford is aware that this is a common issue but will do nothing about it. It seems like they are waiting for someone to get hurt before the assume responsibility.

- Middletown, OH, USA

Mar 152006

Escape 4-cyl

I bought my Escape in June 2004. Around/approximately 2006 my gas pedal started to stick as I was driving from time to time. I got stuck in the intersection one morning and couldn't get the pedal unstuck. When I finally did I drove the car over the capitol Ford in san jose, ca. And told them what was happening. When Ford test drove the car, they said they couldn't find nothing wrong with it. I told them something was wrong with the gas pedal and I was not driving it off the lot until they found the problem with the gas pedal. The next day they called and said the pedal was sticking and they had to replace the throttle body. Ford covered because I was under warranty. On 12/6/2011, my pedal started to stick again this time I was on the freeway. Stuck 4 times. I took it back to the same Ford and told them my pedal was getting stuck I had this problem in 2006 and this shouldn't be happening and they needed to do something about it. I got the song and dance of how the car was out of warranty and they would give me an estimate and I could pay to get it fixed. After inspecting Ford said the throttle body was bad again. After stating my case with them this should not be happening they got Ford involved to see it they would cover. Ford came back and said no. There was nothing they could do because it was out of warranty. Again I explained this is not a warranty issue this is a safety issue and people could be seriously injured. Ford didn't want to budge and kept using the warranty excuse. So I had no choice but to pay and get this fixed. This is not right. Ford needs to take responsibility for their cars and the safety of their customers. This needs to be addressed to Ford.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Dec 072011

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at any speed, he attempted to accelerate further but the accelerator pedal was stuck. The accelerator pedal began to operate as normal after waiting a few moments. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 42,000. Updated 01/24/12 updated 01/27/12

- Wexford, PA, USA

Nov 202011

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the throttle became stuck and he had to use extreme force before the vehicle would drive normally. The vehicle was taken to a local mechanic who diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included in any recalls. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and the current mileage was 103,000.

- Strasburg, OH, USA

Sep 082010

Escape

Sticking gas pedal. Seems to be more prevalent in the cooler weather. The pedal will lock up and no amount of force will make it depress. Especially dangerous when a big truck is barreling down you. Have lubricated the assembly but this does not help. Only way to fix ( and it doesn't always happen right away ) is to manipulate the pedal with my foot and try different pressure points.

- Battle Creek, MI, USA

Apr 302007

Escape 4-cyl

The gas pedal sticks. It can not be pushed. At first, it only happened when the engine was cold & the temperature was cold. Now it happens all the time, regardless of temperature. It almost caused an accident when it happened in the middle of an intersection. There is also an issue with multiple broken tone rings and oil leaks.

- Morris, PA, USA

Oct 172011

Escape 4-cyl

Accelerator gets stuck without warning. I was almost rear ended because I could not move at the stop light. I pressed the accelerator, stomped it, and it would not work. I could not press the accelerator and make it work. Eventually it unfrozen and I was able to move. This is very dangerous, it has done it at times when I was on the road and I couldn't move.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

May 022011

Escape 4-cyl

As with many reported, my gas pedal sticks more and more often - especially when the weather is cold (45 degrees or below). It will happen once or twice about 10 minutes into a drive and then not happen again. The dealership says nothing is wrong, but clearly something is. Its been going on for years.

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 012011

Escape

It feels like a brick is underneath the accelerator pedal. No matter how hard I push down, the pedal doesn't budge. Then without reason the pedal works again. At first it would happen when I shift to third gear and I would be in the flow of traffic and not often, maybe once every 7-8 months. Now it has occurred everyday once a day the last three days. One time backing up. The accelerator pedal will not engage.

- Fpo, AE, USA

Nov 102010

Escape 4-cyl

The accelerator on my Ford Escape sticks in the up position when it gets cool out. It happens intermittently after you brake and then go to accelerate. Very scary on the freeway. Push the accelerator and it does not go down, no acceleration. You have to keep lifting your foot and pushing (hard) tho get it to accelerate we have tried spraying it with lubricant and using graphite, neither has helped. This started when it was about 3 yrs old and has gotten worse. It is now 5 yrs old and has become a dangerous problem.

- Deer Park, TX, USA

Dec 102010

Escape

During cold weather conditions the gas pedal becomes stiff and at times difficult to depress.

- Lauderhill, FL, USA

Dec 012010

Escape

When weather gets cold accelerator pedal gets stuck when trying to start vehicle and sticky when driving for a time after that.sometimes feels like it doesn't want to stop at stop signs or lights, like its still getting fuel. Dealer wanted to change out throttle body for an outrageous amount. From my research this is a wide spread problem.

- Mn, MN, USA

Oct 102006

Escape

The gas pedal intermittently sticks which causes sudden and quick deceleration. It feels like a brick is underneath the pedal. No matter how hard I push down, the pedal doesn't budge. Then all of a sudden, the pedal will work again. It is a serious safety issue. I did some research on the internet and it looks like a lot of people have had this same issue with Ford cars. Some people have gotten into accidents because of it. I spoke with Ford's corporate office and they said they didn't consider it a safety issue. They took my name and some other basic information, then spent most of the time trying to get me off of the phone. I tried to explain that this is very similar to the sudden acceleration problem that Toyota was having, with the only two differences being the car decelerates as opposed to accelerates and that no one has been killed yet. Ford told me if I was concerned, I should get my car fixed and that they would not pay for it. These vehicles need to be recalled before someone gets seriously injured or killed.

- Sellersville, PA, USA

Sep 012010

Escape 4-cyl

My gas pedal was sticking off and on a few days before Sept, 1, 2010. On Sept. 1, 2010 I was driving and the gas pedal cable went. I have never heard of gas pedal just breaking. I was on busy street and lost all power.

- Lockport, NY, USA

Jun 022010

Escape

The gas pedal of my 2005 Ford Escape some times gets stack to the point where I can't accelerate no matter how much weight I put on it. It normally happens after it has been idle for many hours and goes away after driving for about 30 minutes. It was like that since I bought it two years ago and has been getting worst lately. I took it to local Ford dealer and they test drove and said there is nothing wrong with it. On 6/2/2010, I got stack in the middle of a busy intersection and nearly got hit from the rear and from both sides. It took me more than two minutes before I could accelerate again.

- Eagle Lake, MN, USA

Nov 282009

Escape

We had to have the throttle body replaced on our 2005 Ford Escape. Prior to replacement you could be driving and the gas pedal would freeze up and you would not be able to push it down. It would stick as if something was behind it, and nothing was. I was never in an accident, however when you pull out to merge into traffic and you can not accelerate because the pedal won't go down, it is amazing you are not in an accident. I found several people on-line with the same issue when I searched Ford Escape sticky pedal.

- Belleville, MI, USA

Mar 192010

Escape

I live in Virginia and Friday morning got up and there was frost on the windshield. I got in the 2005 Ford Escape let it warm up for about 5 mins. Drove approx 1 & 1/2 miles stopped at a stop sign to turn out on a main road and pressed the gas pedal and the vehicle would not move. I let it roll backwards to a safe place and turned it off. I tried it many times for over 30 minutes and it finally worked. This happens more often in cold weather but usually after 5 mins. It will work. This time was different and more scary as I was attempting to pull out on to a main road.

- Ruther Glen, VA, USA

Feb 112010

Escape

The accelerator keeps getting stuck on my 2005 Ford Escape. I start it off, back up, put it in drive, press on the accelerator, and the accelerator won't move. I have to press on the accelerator really hard and then the truck takes off really fast and I have to fight with the wheel to gain control. My sister was also driving it on a cold day and all of a sudden the accelerator got stuck, the truck would no longer move, it finally started rolling down a hill and she almost crashed into a tree. She too had to fight the wheel to gain control of the car.

- Lancaster, TX, USA