Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 4 of 6)

Sep 052012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated while attempting to accelerate froma traffic stop the vehicle stalled. The dealer was notified who advised the contact to try to reach out to the manufacturer and did not offer any additional assistance. The vehicle was not inspected or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included on any recalls. The failure mileage was 67,000.

- Cooleemee, NC, USA

Oct 302012

Escape 4-cyl

Son was driving vehicle when gas pedal stuck and would not go down--he pushed pedal down with all his strength but it would not move.

- Locust Grove, GA, USA

Oct 102005

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph the accelerator pedal became stuck. The contact mentioned that the failure would occur during cold weather. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who was unable to duplicate the failure and stated that the vehicle was not included on any recalls. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 0 and the current mileage was 100,000...updated 12/06/12 the consumer stated the accelerator pedal would stick when the engine was cold and in cold weather. Updated 12/06/12

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Oct 062012

The accelerator pedal is very difficult to press and sometimes cannot be pressed down at all.

- Atkins, IA, USA

Sep 242012

Escape 4-cyl

While driving, the gas pedal sticks. It feels like there is a brick under the gas pedal and it won't budge. I mash down on the pedal and even stomp it. It will depress after several minutes or when it feels like it. This seems to be happening more as the weather gets colder. When I researched this online, I found recalls for the 2000 - 2004 Ford Escapes experiencing this issue speed control cables), but nothing for my vehicle. I have also found, through a simple internet search, that this is a common problem with Ford Escape owners, but Ford has not done anything about it.

- Williamsville, NY, USA

Sep 112012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the driver of the vehicle was traveling 55 mph when the vehicle began to accelerate independently. The driver shifted into neutral and turned the vehicle off. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection or repairs. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 12V353000 (vehicle speed control:cables). The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Swansea, IL, USA

Aug 182012

Escape 6-cyl

On August 18th 2012 I was returning home from grocery shopping in downtown hamilton mt when our 2005 Ford Escape accelerated out of control and would not stop. I managed to Dodge traffic and people and put it in park and hold my foot down on the brake but it kept speeding. It continued to race down the street about mile or more until I came to a place I was able to turn off the street into a parking area with a corral which had an iron gate on the fence that I felt would stop me. It finally slowed down and I was able to turn off the key and stop; thank god without hitting or harming anyone still it was a terrifying event.

- Hamilton , MT, USA

Nov 182006

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at any speed the accelerator pedal would stick in a partially depressed position and the vehicle would become inoperable. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic and the throttle body was repaired. The failure recurred. The vehicle was then taken to an authorized dealer, where they were unable to diagnose a failure. No further assistance was offered. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 20,000 and the current mileage was 89,000. Updated 08/28/12 the consumer stated the throttle body was cleaned. The gas pedal sticking happened quite often. Updated 08/29/12

- Oak Park, MI, USA

Jul 262012

Escape 6-cyl

Entering the interstate, I sped up to merge, but could not push accelerator pedal to even get out of overdrive. (making things worse, the merge was from the left.) pedal was full down. After dodging go home traffic, I limped to right hand lane and got off at next Ford dealership. Service rep and I looked at the depression made in the plastic housing to the steering column, where pedal hardware had indented it. Service said engine appeared to be operating ok; he tested it by revving the engine in the garage. He remarked the visible symptom was the pedal being so low there's no room for travel. I continued on 150 miles back home and called Ford to look at the "speed control malfunction" issue. Vehicle appears to accelerate ok with cruise control; the pedal is sitting so low there's no travel to accelerate. This could have been seriously dangerous - merging in metro traffic is no game.

- Abilene, TX, USA

Jul 202012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving home from work, I went to accelerate. Upon reaching 40. I heard a substantial backfire noise, and the engine shut off in the middle of a busy road causing me to block traffic as I coasted almost into a busy intersection. I was able to put it in neutral and restart the engine after coasting for 100+ feet. After which, the engine began running very rough and rugged never being able to accelerate about 30 mph and causing major traffic problems. I took it to a dealership (varsity Ford in ann arbor, mi) and have been told that my 2005 Ford Escape was in trouble. Apparently, my spark plug after being clogged, caused a backfire which blew my ignition coils and sparkplugs and my PCM. I am being quoted $2,200. At my last oil change (3 months ago) varsity Ford told me I was getting close to needing a tune up but it was not necessary that day and that I could wait until my next oil change. I was planning on going this weekend because I was heading out of town. Had I been told the risk was a $400 tune up vs. A $2,200 blown engine, maybe I would have changed the spark plugs. I'm very distraught at the Ford dealership, and now am questioning whether I will ever buy a Ford or work with a Ford dealership.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Feb 152009

Escape 4-cyl

Car sits in the driveway and when it is turned on, especially in the winter, the accelerator sticks to the point that I have to put full force to jam the pedal down to take off. If I am at a light and stopped, the same thing happens. I have the repair shop fix this issue twice but decided to lodge a complaint based upon news reports. I have not had any other issue with the SUV and I love my Ford. I am not sure that his is a safety issue and I have been trying to find out.

- Glenwood, MD, USA

Jul 112012

While driving on the expressway, my gas pedal snapped forward by itself and accelerated my car. Then snapped back and hit my foot in the position it was already in. This has happened before, several times over the course of my ownership of this car. (I bought it new) I ignored it the first few times because I thought it was related to being on cruise control, but this was not always the case. I saw on fox news that there is an ongoing investigation; and called Ford to see if they would repair my car and they said no. I am hoping they will have a recall, because I plan on keeping this car for awhile, and don't want to pay for the repairs. Thanks.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Jul 062011

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact was driving 35 mph when he noticed that the pedal of the accelerator had become stuck to the floorboard. He had to place his foot under the accelerator for it to release. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The dealer stated that they needed to replace a spring in the pedal. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and they stated that they did not have any report on the defect. The failure mileage was 69,000 and the current mileage 82,000.

- Altoona , PA, USA

Nov 102011

The vehicle speeds up 10 to 15 mph by itself for 5 to 7 seconds when cruise control is activated and, then, slows down to original set speed. When this happens, the gas pedal goes all the way down and kick back when it releases and making sounds when hits hard the shoe. It has been happening since November 2011 only when cruise control is being use and not all the time. It happens at least 2 each month since then. It was reported July 18 around 9:45am to Ford Motor Company after recall news about Ford Escapes 2002-2004 with V6 engines (like mine) suffer from mechanical flaw that leads to sudden acceleration. At the time, there were no recalls for my VIN.

- Aiken, SC, USA

Jul 102010

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle accelerated independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer previously for the same failure which was diagnosed as being related to the cruise control, which was repaired at that time. The vehicle recently started exhibit the same issues. The dealer was not notified of the second failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure either. The failure mileage was 140,000 and the current mileage was 178,000.

- La Fayette, IN, USA

Dec 012006

Escape 4-cyl

When the weather gets cold, the gas pedal sticks. This seems to only happen when the car is cold. You start out driving and all of a sudden the pedal won't move. You can't accelerate at all. The pedal is stuck. After a few minutes and the car warms up the pedal usually will start moving again. We have had mechanics look at it and they can't find any problems. However when they get the car it's usually warm. One mechanic thought it was related to the cruise control panel. This has been going on for years. I made sure there was no floor mat interfering too. Luckily we have not been in a situation where it would cause a crash. When it happens, you have no choice but to sit on the side of the road and wait for the pedal to free itself.

- Fowlerville, MI, USA

Apr 032012

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact was driving approximately 15 mph and attempting to accelerate onto the highway when the vehicle hesitated before accelerating with a substantial reduction in power. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer nor repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 80,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Elizabeth City, NC, USA

Feb 062006

Escape 4-cyl

Our gas pedal has been sticking in my wifes Escape since we purchased it in 2005. This has been an ongoing problem since we got the car. Ford keeps putting bandaids on it. They will clean out a casing or replace a small part. The problem is a defective design that Ford won't admit to. The dealership we bought the car from is closed and now Ford refused to look at the part without charging me because we dont' have a warranty anymore. This issue almost killed my family this morning. The gas pedal stuck but the car idled out into traffic. My wife couldn't make the car move except in idle. Meanwhile cars had to slam on brakes and swerve to miss her. It was a very upsetting situation. Ford won't care until someone is killed.

- Boiling Springs, SC, USA

Sep 072007

Escape 4-cyl

A few years ago, I started having problems with my gas pedal sticking. It seemed like a brick was underneath the pedal and no matter how hard I pushed it would not unstick. The problem lasted about a month and then went away. Every once in a while, the pedal would stick slightly for just a second, but not anything that really concerned me. Last week (3/7/2012), the pedal started sticking bad. It seems to be within the first 5 minutes of starting the car and can stick for 10-15 seconds, which is very scary when driving. I had to pull over a couple of times, just because I could no longer accelerate. Now, I have started driving around the block for a few minutes until I don't feel the pedal stick anymore before I continue with my drive. The problem has been occurring almost daily for a week now. I can see how if I was turning left and my gas pedal sticks, I could easily get broad sided by an oncoming car. I don't feel comfortable driving the car anymore.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Oct 192009

First time it happened in 2009, I was driving on the freeway in traffic when the traffic began to accelerate, when I depressed my accelerator it was like pressing against a wall. My car was moving from the natural force from when I was braked but it would not accelerate, I had to steer my car to the shoulder and stop. When I stopped I made a phone to a friend of mine to tell them to come and get me because my car wasn't working. As I was waiting for them I decided to start my car and press the accelerator, when I did it worked so I went ahead and drove home. This happened approximately 3 more times that year but on these occasions once I would attempt to depress the accelerator as I was driving it would then work. I made a note to get it fixed but by this time it was the spring and it never happened again until winter 2011. I this point I had my neighbor look at it(who is a mechanic) and he said it was the throttle cable, he sprayed it with some WD40 and it seemed to work, well that was only for about 2 days, because it stuck again one morning on the way to work. At this point I took it to a mechanic to get the throttle cable fixed. Unfortunately, at the time I took it in I wasn't able to "recreate" the problem. I explained the shop the problem and they too felt as though it may be the cable, I spent around $300 for the part and labor to have it replaced. Well that was November of 2011 and it is now Feb 2012 and it happened again this morning. As other's have reported I am thankful that as I was making the left turn that it was a protected left, due to the light, because that's when my accelerator failed. I had to pull over wait around 15min. And then it worked. Just would like a straight answer to the fix. This car just got paid off in 2010 and I want to feel like it is an asset and not a liability to my family.

- Lanham, MD, USA