CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2005 Escape has problems where the engine shuts down while driving. Ford finally issued a September 2014 recall. Time will tell if the recall fix really solves the problem.

However the 2005 Escape also has a defect where the PCM (Power Control Module) fries at around 100k miles. Ford extended the PCM warranty to 80,000 miles, but only after most owners were past the mileage limit. Now owners are on the hook for the average repair cost of over $2,000 (!!)

2005 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Ford Escape:

2005 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 6)

May 012012

Escape

Throttle body sticks when it's wet outside or cold.

- Spencerville, IN, USA

Dec 152015

Escape

Accelerator sticking in neutral position. Mechanics can't find whats wrong and its very likely to cause an accident. I have read many articles that this is common in older models

- Marysville, WA, USA

Jun 212016

Escape

Hi I have a 2005 Ford Escape & up into about and year I started had having engine failure, my vehicle would start & stop, to sum this up, im affaid to drive when this accures praying that know 1 runs into the back of me...ive tooken it to the auto place to get a reading & ive replaced everything that it read ignition coils (twice), fuel filters, tune A/C compressor, wouldnt come on etc....I can go on & on..& im still having the same problems & finally ive decided to google these accurances, to find that there's other vic..that has occurred theses same incidents....this is a serious matter, that Ford needs to address / resolved before someone doesn't make it. Vic. Just shutting down in the middle of traffic....& it also accures while stationary & while turning, this has been going on since Oct. Of 2015 & in between replaceing parts it stalled for a while of the killing & now it has started back up full force about a week ago. 6/13/2016 & today is the 6/21/2016

- Kenner, LA, USA

Feb 032014

Escape

Rear wheel wells rusting out as well as rear seat wells under doors rusting off in huge chunks, cruise, cd player doesnt work, radio shorts out on volume control goes louder instead of lower volume, also front axle had to be replaced at joe lake tire do they use timken products?

- Monroe, MI, USA

Jan 222016

Escape

Vehicle jerking 4WD light keeps blinking, power lock light pops on car act like it wants to shut off

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Nov 202015

Escape

I received my Escape as a birthday gift two years ago. On several occasions since my gas pedal stops working and I have been unable to press it down, it won't go. This has happened while on city streets and on interstates. On a couple of occasions I have been able to pull over or off the road, put it in park, turn off the engine, restart my car and get it going again. I have tried pounding on the gas and that does nothing, it won't budge. I have no idea when this will happen, so I cannot just expect it to, it happens, day or night, hot or cold temperature, driving down a straight highway or turning on a city street. I am afraid it will happen while I am driving in the snow or while one of my kids are driving it. I have tried explaining to them what to do, but of all the things they need to worry about while driving, the gas pedal sticking should not be one of them.

- Fairborn, OH, USA

Mar 152015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Was driving at highway speed (appx 55mph) in 5 O'clock traffic in raleigh, nc on us 1 and the vehicle lost speed. All emergency lights came on. Forced to pull the vehicle off onto the shoulder and was almost rear ended. The vehicle sputtered and totally cut off. Attempted to restart the vehicle but it kept cutting off. I was unable to restart the vehicle and was stranded on the highway. After a call to a family member and to aaa, the car was towed home 3 hours later. The next day, the car was towed to crossroads Ford in cary, nc. They determined that the PCM, spark plugs and ignition coils all failed at once and charged me $2700. Error codes P0351, P0354 and P0353 appeared on the diagnostics. The vehicle was repaired the next day. This is a huge safety issue since the vehicle suddenly undergoes a catastrophic failure with loss of power and acceleration and could lead to an accident.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Mar 032015

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving at 30 mph when the service light came on. Two minutes later vehicle lost acceleration power, seemed to stall. Had to coast to side of the road quickly to get out of way. The service light is no longer on and vehicle seems to be driving ok. Was told it was a sticky throttle body.

- Portland, OR, USA

Dec 242014

Escape 6-cyl

As soon as I hit about 60 mph, between 2-3 RPM, my car begins to stall and feels like the gas pedal is grinding and won't let me go any faster without vibrating the entire vehicle. I initially thought it was the transmission slipping so I took it in to a transmission auto shop where the found absolutely nothing. Which is very odd for an auto shop to not find anything. About 1 week after this problem, the service emission light came on. I was driving home from work the day the light came on and the car completely stopped on the highway, in rush hour traffic. Thankfully I was close to the side of the highway and was able to pull over. I got to the side and put my car into park, turned the engine off, and waited a couple of minutes to allow my heart rate to come back down to a normal pace. I turned the key and the engine turned back on. I drove it into an auto shop to see what the issue was, and the reader showed cylinder 2 misfire. The first possible fix was to replace the coil on plug, which is what I did. I got home today and am still experiencing this scary feeling of my car not being able to excel above 60. I read many reviews this evening and so many people have experienced very similar issues. This is not safe and people are at serious risk or getting injured and/or in an accident. The average cost to fix the issue - reported by many users on www.carcomplaints.com/Ford/Escape/2005/electrical/computer_pcm_failure.shtml, is $2000. When you have a 2005 car of any kind, $2000 seems very high to fix when the car is 10 years old. Please investigate this issue further as this is unacceptable that Ford has yet to recall this issue.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Feb 032014

Escape 4-cyl

Whenever the outside temperature dips below freezing, my gas pedal will suddenly get stuck and the car coasts to a stop and will just sit there idling. The first time it happened I was able to "stomp" on the pedal and it freed up, that is no longer the case. When the temperature dips into the 20's it is even worse and will get stuck, eventually free up and be fine....unless I then enter highway speeds, it will do it again. I have found that warming the car several extra minutes seems to eliminate the problem at slower 35mph speeds. However, upon entering highway speeds, even after warming the vehicle for ten minutes, it will get stuck after several minutes of travel at highway speed. It will free up after coasting to the side of the freeway and sitting for several minutes with car idling, but can then get stuck yet again after several minutes at highway speeds. This creates extremely deadly situations! I called Ford and they said there is no recall for this vehicle and I also went to the local Ford dealer they claim to have never heard of this problem and have no idea what could cause it.

- Arlington, WA, USA

Jan 052015

Escape

Vehicles gas pedal gets stuck up and cannot be depressed at all while car is on and I am driving. It happened this week several times on very cold days. While driving or while stopped at light and trying to go I cannot depressed the pedal, even when pushing hard. Eventually it depressed for me after several tries. Vehicle gas pedal has also gotten stuck down twice previously with car accelerating uncontrollably, which happened for almost a minute then it popped up - resulted in near collision { thank goodness its a manual transmission]. I have read in many on-line discussion boards of many other individuals having their gas pedal on Ford Escapes stick up or down also.

- Hamilton, Ontario, Canada, , AS, USA

Dec 042012

Escape 6-cyl

After totaling a 2004 Escape, I purchased another 2005 Escape because I loved it. Well not so much anymore. I bought the vehicle from a dealership in September 2012. Only three short months later I started having the exact same problem I am reading in all complaints. I tried to push on the gas and nothing. It was misfiring bad. I then took it too a shop and they told me coils 1, 3, and 5 were out and needed to be replaced. The dealership wanted close too $2,000 to repair it. I was furious because I had bought my 2004 from the same dealership and my family alone had purchased a total of 6 vehicles from the dealership. I was a loyal customer and was not going to pay to have it fixed. So they split the cost of $1000 with me. Now it is acting up again and I've replaced the fuel filter and the thermostat bc that's what the computer said only for it to still not be running. I am a single mother, college student, and server and it's 2 days before christmas so I am very disappointed! fix the problem Ford!!

- Seminole, FL, USA

Nov 172014

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

Gas pedal is "frozen" like will not accelerate and will not go down when pushed on.

- Lima, OH, USA

Oct 112014

Escape

Gas pedal sticks, especially in cold weather.

- Eagan, MN, USA

Sep 292014

Escape

Gas pedal gets stuck and the vehicle will not move forward or it hesitates and moves very slow.

- Aurora, IL, USA

Jul 112014

Escape

The contact owns a 2005 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the accelerator pedal became stuck and the vehicle accelerated. As a result, the contact crashed into a tree. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 43,000.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Nov 122013

Escape 4-cyl

I pulled into 45 mph traffic and the throttle seemed to be stuck open and did not slow when my foot was removed from the accelerator. I pressed up and down on the accelerator with my left foot on the brake and was able to slow and pull to the side of the road. When trying to put the vehicle in motion again, the accelerator could not be budged. I was towed to a local mechanic and he cleaned the throttle body. I have been problem free for 4-5 months but am noticing a sticking problem again. I have seen online that this is a prevalent problem with this model. I called Ford but their customer satisfaction program which helps with the replacement of the throttle body is currently only for model years 2009-2012. This is dangerous, control of the vehicle is greatly affected.

- Kenai, AK, USA

Jun 052013

Escape

Program 13N03 throttle body issues gas pedal locks up, jolts forward.

- Chesterton, IN, USA

Mar 012013

Escape 4-cyl

While driving on the interstate at appx 70 mph I heard a beep and at the same time the dash indicated a wrench, and message to stop safely now, and the car would no longer accelerate. Pulled over and shut the engine off, waited a few minutes then restarted the engine. The message was no longer on the dash and the car drove normally for a few minutes then happened again. This went on several times until I could get to a place where I felt safe to stop. Brought the car in and they replaced the hybrid cooling pump. Now, 1 yr later the same thing is happening again. Was driving appx 50 mph and same beep, message and car would not accelerate. This time I was close enough to home to be able to restart and get home safely.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Apr 092014

Escape 4-cyl

Two regular ongoing issues......when driving, if foot is taken off gas pedal to ease up speed, gas pedal then sticks as if something is blocking it (nothing is blocking), no amount of pressing will move it, after some seconds or a minute, it will function again. Happens most often when cold, or when just starting out. Car continues to decelerate until the gas pedal begins to function again. Second issue.......engine light with code P0455 is on most of the time, gas cap loose light will also come on, replacing gas cap did not help.

- Union, OH, USA