2008 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Ford Escape:

2008 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 8 of 9)

May 162012

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact noticed that transmission fuel was leaking onto the driveway. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacture was contacted and they advised that there were not any recalls on the transmission. The failure mileage was 62,000 and the current mileage was 62,972.

- Holly , MI, USA

Mar 152012

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle began to decelerate and the transmission warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for inspection where the mechanic advised the contact that the transmission would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Castle Rock, CO, USA

Jan 232012

Escape 4-cyl

My car appeared to go into neutral while driving, then revved up and shot forward. Putting myself and passengers at danger of getting into an accident. This appears to be a common flaw in the power train (transmission) of the Ford Escapes. There should be a recall issued before a fatality occurs due to Ford negligence. I called Ford immediately upon arriving at work and will take it in at the end of the day but, having looked for complaints/recalls on line I see that this is very common and Ford is not taking responsibility.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 012011

Escape 6-cyl

Found puddle of transmission fluid on driveway. Transmission cooler is leaking just like all 2008 Ford Escapes. Not covered by warranty. Dealer charges $816. Why isn't it covered by a recall? we are disappointed.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Dec 162011

Escape 4-cyl

I noticed a transmission fluid leak toward the front of the vehicle. The car was beginning to shift erratically, and slipping between gears at highway speeds. Was causing some concern while driving in the fast lane of the interstates. It was beginning to spray up under the hood, and I was worried about it getting on the exhaust manifold and starting a fire. After doing tons of research on line, if find out about a trans cooler defect. I see this has happened to 100's if not 1000's of people that owned 2008 Escapes. I was told Ford did do some repairs on these cars that where built early 2008, and that a csp (customer satisfaction program) was sent out March 2010, and expired in August 2010. My Escape was built in Sept. 2007, which should have covered it. Ford sent a csp #09B10 to owners for a replacement because of the know defect to the cooler. Since I didn't not own the vehicle until November 2010, I had no idea of the problem, and since the original owner never took it in for repair, I have to pay the price. I called Ford customer care, and both them, and the Ford dealer acknowledge the defect, but would not cover it. Since there is no recall, and the csp is over, I had to pay $644.41 out of my pocket. This is ridicules I am paying for a defect that Ford knows about. They both told me to hold on to my receipt in case there is a recall I can get reimbursed. I think this is the last Ford I will own. Even though this is connected to the drive train, and keeps your transmission from failing, its not a drive train part, and Ford will not cover cause its not internal. As far as I see it! its power train related, and if it unknowingly fails, the transmission will fail. Hopefully Ford does the right thing, and repairs or reimburses the customer that had it repaired for the mistake Ford made with the defective part before someone gets hurt.

- West Newton, PA, USA

May 132011

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that after parking the vehicle, fluid was observed leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where the mechanic confirmed a trans core leak in the transmission. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 35,000 and the current mileage was 40,842.

- Swarthmore, PA, USA

Dec 012011

Escape 6-cyl

I purchased a 2008 Ford Escape new in September 2008. After 50,000 miles I noticed a buzzing sound from the engine compartment. After searching the internet for probable causes, I discovered a tsb stating that idler pulley may fail prematurely. I purchased and replaced the pulley and noticed a transmission fluid leak near the radiator. After searching the internet some more, I discovered another tsb stating that the transmission coolers crack due to a flawed design. I contacted Ford through the website and they stated their are no recalls for my vehicle and directed me to the dealership that sold my vehicle. The repair estimates are between 800-1000 dollars. I have exceeded my warranty and multiple persons have stated that Ford does not honor it anyway for this component. I have owned 3 Ford with the similar issues. Ford posts tsbs not recalls even though the defects are caused by poor designs. If the cost benefit analysis doesn't add up in their favor, expect to pay out of pocket. I no longer allow my wife to drive this vehicle and fully expect to trade it in shortly.

- Pikeville, NC, USA

Nov 282011

Escape 6-cyl

I was in my car and when I stepped on the gas to accelerate and pull out on to the road, my engine raced and I only rolled forward, down the small slope, into traffic. After about 3 seconds my transmission caught and the car jumped forward and I momentarily lost control, barely missing another car in the other lane. Turns out almost all of the transmission fluid had leaked out from the transmission cooler, causing a malfunctioning transmission. After bringing the vehicle in to get inspected, and talking to multiple dealers, they all say that they consistently fix this issue on the 2008 Ford Escape. Some even say they have trouble stocking the part because they do so many. The vehicle has a faulty transmission cooler/ac condenser that consistently breaks and causes the vehicle to lose transmission fluid, resulting in unsafe vehicles.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Nov 102011

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that she was unable to shift from second gear. There was an increase in engine rpms as she attempted to accelerate but the vehicle would not respond. The dealer advised the contact to replace the transmission and the manufacturer was made aware of the failure however did not offer any assistance since there were no recalls for the failure. No repairs were performed. The current and the failure mileages were 76,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bluffdale, UT, USA

Oct 042011

Escape 4-cyl

I had purchased this truck new from the dealer in March of 2008, this truck has had many problems in the past starting with the day I bought the truck. Now a few year's later the "a.C. condenser" was leaking transmission fluid and the dealer is now telling me that it is not covered under my "drive train warranty". I am not a mechanic but the several mechanic's that I have spoken to said that, that part is vital to the power train. I am a young struggling nurse trying to pay off school loans, and they are telling me that this is going to cost $700, I cannot afford it and I need my truck. I bought this new with the impression that these things will not be an issue and if they were they would be covered by Ford's warranty. I have done some research on the internet and this is a major problem with this specific year and truck. I am hoping that you guy's will be able to help with this matter. Thank you and god bless.

- Collegeville, PA, USA

Oct 252011

Escape 6-cyl

A D V E R T I S E M E N T S"V=-6xq2zyqmoi - this video depicts exactly what is wrong with the Ford 2008 Escapes. My vehicle started to leak transmission fluid profusely last week; which is not only a problem in major traffic if the Ford Escape 2008 transmission has no fluid, but also is an safety issue to those who walk in parking lots where my car has leaked fluid; it may cause a fall... especially with so many Ford Escapes 2008 having this exact problem. How many Ford Escapes 2008 must abruptly run out of transmission fluid before this does become a dire safety problem? side note: Ford hq states this is an ac problem; however, if my car leaks out all the transmission fluid, isn't it a drive line problem"

- Artesia, NM, USA

Oct 302011

Escape 6-cyl

Purchased 2008 Ford Escape in June 2007. After around 25K miles the transmission was leaking fluid according to the Ford service center we took it to. They repaired this at no cost since this was under the 3 year/36,000 mile warranty. Had a minor issue back in August with the air fan not blowing air properly. The fan had to be placed on high before it would blow out any air. This was fixed and cost approx. 200 dollars since the warranty was out in June 2007. No big deal. Then on October 30, around 73K miles on the car, it started stalling while driving and shaking violently. Put on brakes it would start to stall and when giving gas it would shake and then stall. Took it to the Ford service shop which is also the dealer where we have purchased around 5 or 6 vehicles and who has always serviced our Ford vehicles and were told that it needed a brand new transmission and since it is out of warranty this will cost $4,900. Have checked on numerous websites and this is a common issue with Ford Escapes. I actually know someone who bought her vehicle at the same dealer, the same year vehicle and had the same exact problem with around the same mileage when her transmission went out as well as the fan problem. I do not feel that I should have to pay for this since we had the same issue back when the car only had 25K miles on it. This car is only 3 1/2 years old and we should not have these many issues with this car. I cannot afford to have it fixed so it will sit in my driveway.

- Trenton, OH, USA

Oct 122011

While driving to work, a wrench light illuminated. My car then had difficulty shifting and seemed to struggle to shift into gear. I took the car to my mechanic the next day and ended up having to spend $3,400 on a complete transmission overhaul. I do not think this should be since I service my car including transmission service on a regular basis.there was a recall on the condenser a while back. This was corrected.

- Highland Lks, NJ, USA

Sep 212011

Escape 6-cyl

Defective transmission cooler fails and leaks transmission fluid. The vehicle lurches while low on transmission fluid.

- Lewis Center, OH, USA

Sep 032011

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the transmission cooler fitting fractured, causing transmission fluid to leak. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and the dealer replaced the entire transmission condenser. The contact had not driven the vehicle since the repair. The failure mileage was 57,550. Kmj

- Danville, CA, USA

May 012011

Escape 6-cyl

My Ford Escape just started leaking fluid one day. Even thought Ford admits its a huge huge problem that will effect my transmission its not recalled or covered by the warranty. The tranny cooler/ac condenser is leaking.

- Florence, AZ, USA

Feb 282011

The contact owns a 2008 Ford Escape. The contact stated the vehicle jerked forward when accelerating from a very low speed or a stop. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was told the vehicle needed a new condenser to help cool the transmission. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 38,300. The VIN was unavailable.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Apr 052010

Escape 4WD

Ford Escape limited 4WD 2008 the pto seal on right side is leaking and was replaced at 17333km and a 20800km and is until leaking the pto will block and the wheel will block very dangerous.

- Longueuil, 00, USA

Jan 202010

Vehicle is leaking severe amount of transmission fluid just at warranty mark. Dealer will not cover repair. There are a lot of complaints on internet in regard to this, it could cause a potential fire in vehicle or accident due to low levels of fluid, the control panel does not alert driver if transmission fluid level is low.

- Fenton, MI, USA

Feb 182010

2008 Ford. Escape transmission cooler. It is leaking fluid and is very dangerous. It causes the transmission to fail. I am surprised Ford has not done anything about this matter. I have read hundreds of complaints and failures.

- Cornelius, NC, USA