2010 Ford Escape drivetrain problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 21 of 23)

Feb 252013

I was driving on the interstate going approximately 73 mph, when the car started losing speed, the wrench light came on, and I wasn't able to accelerate. I had to maneuver the car off to the side of the road, cut it off and then restart. It seemed to be fine at that point. However, that same morning I had the same problem, only it was in my driveway. I turned the car off and restarted it and it seemed fine. This is terribly dangerous since it happens on the interstate and if you are in the middle of traffic and are unable to keep up the speed, it could cause an accident. I have read many complaints about this problem with different Ford models and I believe there should be a recall for safety reasons.

- Woodstock, VA, USA

Feb 062011

Escape 4-cyl

The car engine accelerates on its own, whether or not my foot is on the gas petal. I thought it was transmission trouble, but not sure now after reading article in baton rouge advocate today. Brought car into dealership at least 3 times, they cannot find anything. They say bring it in when it happens, but once I was headed to baton rouge and it just started racing, another time to gently, and other times just headed home or shopping. It has happened minimal 25 times. I will start logging the mileage, speed, dates, & times as of today...2/26/13. I realize it is what you are calling a power surge. I cannot wait to get rid of this car.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Nov 072012

Escape 6-cyl

Engine loses power (does not stall out) stays running but unable to accelerate. Wrench light comes on. If shut off and restarted it will go again. Occured 3 times in one day. Occurs at any level of speed, was going 30 mph once, and on highway the other 2 times, once excelerating on highway to merge, and the last time driving normally. Throttle body and motor were replaced.

- Southgate, MI, USA

Jan 032013

I have two Ford Escapes and both have the same issue, the power train light comes on. There was a recall for same model but when I called Ford they said it was not made in location where the recall happened. I have taken it to a few auto repairs show and they have told me that this a problem they see a lot. I have called the dealership and they say they can not do anything. I am furious that know I have to pay 6000 to replace the transmission for both my vehicles!

- Lakeville, MN, USA

Feb 122013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the road at night, going 40 mph on a street when suddenly my car decelerating without warning and came to a stop on the side of a busy street. The engine light came on however, I was not able to get it to move. I had the tow company come get me and dropped it off at the Ford dealership. It appears that the throttle body went out while I was driving. Normally I wouldn't report this, but it seems to be a common dangerous event with the Ford Escape.

- Newbury Park, CA, USA

Feb 062013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving down the road and my car stalled and started jerking before shutting down entirely. I would push on the gas and my car would not drive forward, as if it lost its power. The Ford dealership had to replace the throttle body, after I owned the car for less than a year.

- Prairie Village, KS, USA

Jan 292013

This vehicle belongs to my daughter and while driving to get lunch the said vehicle slowed and started jerking and shaking. The engine didn't die but the accelerator would not throttle up. She eventually was able to return back to work and later in the afternoon had a doctor's appointment and she left work for her appointment and traveled about a mile before experiencing the same symptoms as previously stated. My daughter phone me for help and I went to her location and we traded vehicles and I tried to drive it but it wouldn't accelerate as before. The engine would idle and the speedometer indicated 3 mph. I notified Ford and requested a wrecker and then was able to get the Escape to drive about another mile before it stalled again. I waited for a wrecker that never came and I finally started the engine again and entered the interstate and traveled abt six miles at 65 -70 mph when it lost power again. I idled at 3 mph for about a mile to the Ford dealership and they were closed. Finally I idled another 2 miles to the daughter's residence and parked the vehicle in her garage.the next day I went to autozone and I asked them what codes P2111 and P2112 were and they advise me it had to do with the throttle body. I then drove it to the dealership at 3 mph and left it. I purchased a throttle body from another Ford dealership and installed it in about twenty minutes. It seems to be running good now after test driving it for 15 miles with no issues. The vehicle's warranty expired @ 3yrs or 36,000 miles.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 042012

The car lost engine power unexpectedly while under way. Pressing the gas pedal made no difference, and the car would not coast - it lost speed rapidly. Upon turning the car off and waiting a few minutes, the car would restart and operate normally. Sometimes it would operate for normally for the entirety of the trip, other times the car would exhibit the problem again.

- Roslindale, MA, USA

Jan 162013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while idling, the vehicle made loud noises. As the contact tried to accelerate, the vehicle hesitated. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The failure occurred approximately six times. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was approximately 50,809. The current mileage was approximately 50,934. The VIN was unavailable.

- Cleveland, OH, USA

Jan 202013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving there was a sudden loss of power. The wrench icon lit up on the dash display & the engine light came on too. There was no response from the gas pedal at all. The engine stayed on & all other features of the vehicle worked. I shut the car off & restarted the vehicle & continued driving. This occurred 4 times within a half hour. It was a miracle that I was not involved in an auto accident. I brought the vehicle back to a Ford dealer where they replaced the throttle body. Vehicle has been operating fine ever since & the gas pedal is more responsive than it was before. The original bumper to bumper warranty expired less than 2 months ago & I had to pay for this repair. I am very unhappy.

- Paramus, NJ, USA

Jan 132013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle began to shutter as the transmission disengaged. The vehicle did not respond to acceleration attempts and the wrench warning icon illuminated. The vehicle was moved to the side of the road and shut off. Once the vehicle was restarted, it regained normal operation. The dealer was notified and advised the contact that whenever the failure recurred, he should shut off and restart the engine in order to reset the vehicle. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 79,000.

- Chatanooga, TN, USA

Dec 232012

Escape 6-cyl

With no warning, I was unable to accelerate. Car went into limp mode. I was able to pull over safely. I am thankful I wasn't traveling at a higher rate of speed or traveling on the freeway; this would have been incredibly dangerous. Diagnostic lights on dash indicated something with throttle. Was able to get car home - very difficult. Had to have it towed. Very expensive car repair, $208 part (throttle body) and $190 labor.

- Cedarburg, WI, USA

Jan 052013

Had been driving vehicle on busy city street for approximately 3 miles through traffic lights. Stopped at red light to enter freeway with several other vehicles on two lane freeway onramp. Light turned green, I attempted to accelerate to freeway speed, vehicle only obtained about 2mph, vehicle was running but had no response to gas pedal ( RPM's didn't increase), two red warning lights appeared on dash. I managed to coast onto the MINIshoulder of the onramp, sticking halfway into traffic, due to the small size of the shoulder. I shifted through park, neutral, drive, no response, turned vehicle off, then restated and vehicle operated normally, warning lights out. Very, very dangerous situation and car only has 40,000 miles. In researching this online, there are thousands of similar experiences with all mileages, forums are saying the dealer is replacing defective throttle body assemblies. This is a major safety problem.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Dec 312012

Escape 6-cyl

Defective throttle body the 2010 Ford Escape not once but multiple times would go to idle and run rough while traveling on different roads at different speeds. The gas pedal would do nothing to make the car go but it was idling rough and coasting causing us to stop on the side of very dangerous roads. We would turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes and then it would start normal. The gas pedal would work again but repeat the same problem 5 to 10 minutes later. We were certainly glad this did not happen on the interstate in front of an 18 wheeler or we would be dead. The dealership said the throttle body is bad. The car is only 2,000 miles out of warranty from the standard bumper to bumper warranty, the extended powertrain warranty does not cover the part. So we are out almost $400 for a part that should never fail to begin with.

- Austin, TX, USA

Dec 222012

Escape 6-cyl

At freeway speed the car lost power. We were able to pull to the shoulder of the highway. A small wrench warning light appeared on the dashboard. We checked the owner's manual, and it referred to a "throttle/power train" issue and told us to seek dealer attention as soon as possible. The engine restarted, so we continued our trip. We stopped in sulfur springs, tx, at the Ford dealership. That morning the vehicle battery was dead (which was the first problem we have ever had with the vehicle), and we began our trip after jump-starting the car. I thought the stalling was related to the battery problem. The events were explained to the tech, we replaced the battery which we felt would also solve the stalling problem. The stall occurred the next day, and again on our return trip. I took the vehicle to our local Ford dealer where the throttle body assembly was replaced. We have not, as of now, tested the repair at freeway speed, but were assured by the dealer that the problem was solved.

- Tahlequah, OK, USA

Dec 122012

My car has been having a power train issue past couple of weeks. A wrench light comes on, then my car slowly powers off. It doesn't matter where I am or how fast or slow I'm going. The scariest incident was when I was on the highway going 65 mph. Again, the wrench light came on the car slowly powered off. Luckily it was late and there was little traffic on the highway. I was able to slowly pull over and restart the car, which started up fine. The car has now done this 4-5 times. Again, the scariest incident was on the freeway. I took my car to the dealer and they informed me that the issue is a stuck throttle. After doing some research, I've found that there have been many complaints of the same origin of the Ford Escapes dating back to year model 2004- with one fatality and multiple accidents. Something must be done, I.e. recall issued.

- San Ramon, CA, USA

Dec 072012

I had just left my house in my 2010 Ford Escape on December 7th when suddenly the engine bogged down completely and was no longer responsive to the movement of the accelerator pedal even though the engine was still running. The "wrench" warning light came on and the car slowed to a crawl. I pulled over and was able to turn the car around and return home (1/4 mile) with the vehicle moving approximately 2-3 mph. After I returned home, I restarted the vehicle and the "wrench" light extinguished and the car seemed okay. I drove a different vehicle to work that day and when I returned home, I put my obdii scanner on the vehicle and retrieved a "P2111" pending malfunction code. I cleared the code, started the vehicle and drove it without incident until December 18th when I had the same problem again while driving in moderate traffic. I was approximately 25 miles away from my house when the engine, once again, was no longer responsive to the movement of the accelerator pedal. I was able to get the car out of traffic by pulling into a left turn lane. The "wrench" light was again on. I turned the engine off and restarted it. The "wrench" light went out and the car, once again seemed to run okay. I cautiously made the 25 mile trip home with the vehicle. I put the scanner on the car again, and no malfunction code was present. I had been fortunate this time as I was in moderate traffic moving at about 45 mph when the incident occurred. I believe this is a serious safety issue and I could only imagine what could happen if this problem occurred while in traffic on the highway.

- Guyton, GA, USA

Dec 082012

Escape 6-cyl

Serious and life-threatening malfunction impeded my ability to control my 2010 Escape occurred while driving 50mph on a very busy highway. My Escape stalled suddenly without any warning what so ever in the middle of the lane while driving on the busy highway. As I tried to continue driving, pushing the throttle pedal, the Escape would not go, it slowed down suddenly on it's own. I was able to ease off the payment to the side of the lane; however, I was almost hit in the rear by a auto behind me before I could get off the payment. I was fortunate to have been at a place where I could ease off the payment. The highway is curvy and hilly. This scared me to death. A wrench light came on indicating a malfunction of the throttle/powertrain. The engine was running fine. I turned off the engine and waited a few minutes, then I cranked it and it cranked fine. The wrench light went off. I tried driving it again, and once I pulled back into the highway, giving it gas, it would barely go, so I eased back again. I called roadside assistance and had it towed to the dealership. After it was inspected I was told the electric throttle body had malfunctioned and needed replacing. It was the caused of the sudden stalling while I was driving. My life as well as others were put in a dangerous situation because of this malfunction. I understand that there has been a lot of complaints like mine already filed here. Ford should issue a recall immediately before any deaths occur. I had to pay $470 to get this taken care since my warranty was out 3/36,000. I was told that this was not covered by the powertrain 5/60,000.

- Silver Creek , GA, USA

May 122012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph the vehicle stalled and overheated. The vehicle was later towed to the dealer where they advised that the radiator seal was fractured, causing a leak. In addition, they advised that the rear axle seal needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired for the radiator and rear axle seals. The manufacturer was contacted and provided 100 percent coverage of the repair. Also, the contact stated that the vehicle would shift in and out of gear without warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where they advised that the solenoid and another unknown component needed replacing. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 55,000. The current mileage was approximately 67,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Curtis, MI, USA

Nov 262012

Escape 4-cyl

Engine stalls, loss of power, random stop - obd code P2111 throttle body.

- Cape Canveral, FL, USA