2010 Ford Escape electrical problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

May 012013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the motor shuts down. It is impossible to even rev the engine and increase rpms. It will jerk and jump forward as if its trying to accelerate but wont go any faster than idle speed. If I turn the engine off it will work properly for about 50 yards then shut down again.

- Orlando , FL, USA

May 312013

Escape 6-cyl

While entering a freeway at 40mph the car stalled, thankfully there was a shoulder to pull on to otherwise we would've been rear ended. This has happened at differing speeds as well. The wrench light in the dash comes on and the vehicle stalls. Restarting vehicle will usually resume with no issues. No codes are stored so dealer can't find problem. This has happened 10X's at least. I'm scared to let my wife or daughter drive this vehicle. No signs given that it will stall.

- Milford, MI, USA

May 302013

Escape 6-cyl

The vehicle lost power while on highway at 65mph. Engine did not stop running completely but the vehicle would not go. Had to pull over, turn vehicle off and restart. Did this 6 separate times 3 on 5/30 and 3 on 5/31/13. This has been diagnosed as a common problem by repair shop as faulty throttle body.

- Kingwood, TX, USA

May 272013

Escape 6-cyl

At the initial failure, while traveling on manchester road the vehicle stalled and I had to pull to the side of the road. A week later at the second failure while standing at a stop light the vehicle stalled and I had to restart the vehicle.

- Manchester, MO, USA

Apr 092013

Escape 6-cyl

When I'm driving my car, it will suddenly stop accelerating as though someone threw the car into neutral. When this happens, the wrench light comes on and I have to coast over to a safe area to turn the car off and turn it back on. This happened on the freeway at speeds over 70mph, on streets, after a red light, turning corners. Over and over again this happens and it started happening at about 50-thousand miles and has gotten worse. Today this happened more than six times in a twenty mile radius.

- Pickerington, OH, USA

Feb 222013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving to work on I10 at 60 miles per hr in houston tx. The Escape lost power and was hard to steer. I limped off the road and shut the Escape down and restarted it. The Escape worked fine again. This happened twice more over the next months. I am taking the Escape to russell smith Ford in houston tx to have them correct the problem. Please check with them on the issue as I or others could have been killed as this happened during rush hour traffic in houston.

- Houston, TX, USA

May 062013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving at highway speed when I heard a click from the car engine. Acceleration gradually declined. The gas peddle did not respond. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the engine off. As I was slowing to park, to turn off the car, the car surged several times. I was able to restart the car, with a hesitated start and get home. This happened 5 times over a two week period of time. I took the car to the Ford dealership and had the electrical throttle body replaced. This corrected the issue.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 062013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving car engine suddenly decelerates to a fast rough idle. Car must be pulled to the side of the road, then shut off and restarted to continue driving. This incident has occurred 4 times between 5/6 and 5/15/2013. Car has been in the Ford dealers shop for a week now without a fix, seems like the onboard computer does not save the diagnostic data after being shut off. New Ford with 1970's computer technology ? I believe this is a safety issue and Ford needs to do whatever it takes to fix the problem.

- Lebanon, PA, USA

May 102013

Escape 6-cyl

Electronic throttle body - code P2111 displayed - action number PE13003 żącar lost transmission power and eventually stopped out on route 1 South. The issue began at the top of the morris goodkind bridge, as the incident occurred I noticed the wrench icon in the lower left of the dashboard and the check engine light I was in the left lane traveling at the average pace of traffic, I managed to get to the center lane once I realized the issue and eventually the car came to a complete stop [ engine would rev but no power would transfer to transmission] near the dangerous exit ramp for route 18 N and S. luckily no one behind me were involved in any accidents. I turned put the car in park and turned the engine off I restarted the engine and shifted to drive the car seemed to be working again. I got past the rt. 18 ramp and got into the right lane I made it about 1.5 miles near rutgers cook college where this issue happened again, this time I got onto the shoulder before the car came to a complete stop. Once again I put the car in park and it started up again I drove it home approximately 2 miles before leaving it parked until Tuesday May 14th when my wife and I could drop it off at the local dealership, malouf Ford in North brunswick NJ. This is a major safety concern, the check engine lamp or the wrench icon do not display until this part fails. Unexpectedly losing power and stopping on one of the busiest most traveled portion of route 1 is scary. I am glad that my 2 year old son and my pregnant wife were not injured when this occurred. In addition countless other motorists were put at risk due to this part failure without warning. ***** have all reciepts and documentation if you need further information or assistance.

- Milltown, NJ, USA

Apr 112013

Escape 4-cyl

Driving down highway 75mph and car completely shuts off. No warning. Pull off to the side and turned car off. Put it in park and turned key off. After a couple seconds I turned key on and started up no problem with no warning lights on. Did it four times while traveling from Florida to Tennessee. Extremely dangerous.

- Safety Harbor, FL, USA

May 122013

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving the vehicle at approximately 40mph when with no warning, the car started to stutter like it was going to stall out and I lost all ability to accelerate. The monkey wrench warning light came on and I was able to pull off to the side of the before someone hit me from behind and turned off the vehicle. I called for assistance, but the vehicle started up again fine, and I was able to drive it to the nearest Ford dealer. They advised it was most likely a throttle train issue, and they replaced the throttle train.

- Auburn, AL, USA

May 082013

Escape 6-cyl

2010 Ford Escape XLT continues to have intermittent occurrences of "stalling in motion" with no warning. We have been lucky so far that the vehicle will coast to shoulder or a parking lot. If we drive on interstate we only travel in the right lane in case we have to coast off. Vehicle then idles roughly at about 800 RPM. Vehicle has to be put in park and shut-off. Then restart so far makes vehicle go again sometimes. Vehicle may have to be restarted multiple times to get moving again. However, this is getting more commonplace and we will not allow our young inexperienced drivers to operate the vehicle due to the extreme safety risks associated with operating the vehicle. This is placing a huge burden on our family as we cannot afford to have the vehicle repaired at Ford dealer due to the high expense involved. Vehicle has check engine light with P2111 code on several occasions which specifically isolates the throttle body malfunction. This situation needs to be remedied by Ford before a death occurs as it will occur soon especially on interstates or highways.

May 022013

Escape

Vehicle dropped to idle during mild acceleration. Pulled the codes and recieved P2111 code for throttle body.

- Palm City, FL, USA

Feb 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle will stall during idle, accelerating from a stoplight, decelerating, and/or driving at highway speeds. There are no warnings before this happens, and when it does happen, the vehicle has to coast to the shoulder, turned off, and then restarted before continuing. Weather has no effect as it has happened in minus 5 degrees to 80 degrees, rain, snow, humid, dry, sunny... this has happened at least 20 times in the past 3 months.

- Washington, MI, USA

Oct 202012

Escape 6-cyl

While driving from central fl to asheville, nc. My 3.0 litr Escape basically lost all power a total of 6 different times on interstates 95 and 26 between savannah, ga and columbia, SC. Driving along at posted highway speed limit, engine would unexpectedly start losing power and eventually come to a stop in the emergency lane. The tachometer indicated that the engine was running at about 1000 RPM, but it would not take and thottle and barely move. Switching the engine off and restarting, reset something and allowed me to continue driving normally but only for about 20 miles before doing the exact same thing. This was a Saturday about noon and calling several Ford dealers was useless as most said they were getting ready to close, or could not look at it until Monday. Not wanting to ruin our vacation, we tried to continue with the above scenario repeating itself at least 6 more times, each time getting more and more dangerous, as traffic was heavy and each time the engine would lose power instantly and almost caused accidents before we could get off the road into the emergency lane. Finally called a Ford dealer in columbia, SC that was open till 4pm. And said they could check it out. Made it there at 3:30 pm and they diagnosed the trouble as a code P2111 throttle body stuck open. They had the part in stock and $326 later we were on our way. Vehicle only had 41K miles. Internet research has revealed several hundred complaints of the same exact trouble happening to them. There is even a youtube video showing this described trouble actually taking place, after a frustrated driver could not get any Ford dealer to recreate the trouble and take care of it, he videod it acutally happening. My calls to Ford Motor Co customer service, and my emails were a waste of time. Ford is ignoring a very dangerous problem that will get them many lawsuits I am sure. Ford needs a recall now!

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Mar 312013

Escape

This is about the 10th time I have experienced this issue. In every case the car stops accelerating and the car drops into idle with the RPM's ranging from 900-1100. Shifting gears does not have an effect and you have to shut off the car to turn in back on. The amber wrench light comes on every time and the few times that it happened consecutively in one trip the check engine light came on. On my first visit to a dealership they replaced the accelerator pedal. The second time they noticed my transmission was eating its fluid so the filled up the fluid. The third time the dealership replaced my transmission and the most recent they replaced the throttle body. This seems to coincide with the open investigation PE13003. I have had the car malfunction occur when accelerating through 65 trying to get onto a highway. Had it happen twice at 15 mph in a parking lot. Had it at 45 mph in the middle of an intersection and multiple times on back roads at 35 mph. Fortunately for me I was always able to flip my hazards on quickly and the other vehicles were able to get around me while I stopped on the road, but this situation is highly unsafe especially at higher speeds on highway when you have to pull over and stop the car to fix the situation. Based on multiple online forums it seems to be mainly the throttle body that is malfunctioning, but it seems to also degrade the engine over time and can end up costing you as an owner over time due to the dealers inability to always pin point the issue.

- Enid, OK, USA

Mar 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle's throttle stopped working in traffic traveling at 35 mph and had to coast vehicle to side of road where engine was idling roughly but no response to pressing accelerator pedal. Vehicle needed to be shut off and restarted several times to get throttle working again. Vehicle exhibited this problem many times over last 30 days (even at 65 mph we lost throttle on interstate and had to coast off in traffic). We have been fortunate in avoiding an accident. Took vehicle to service station which read computer reading and said "throttle body actuator" needed to be replaced and that I should go to local Ford dealer asap as there should be a recall for a 2 year old vehicle with this dangerous condition. Ford dealer informed me that there was no recall and that its just something that happens and that it would be $399 to fix. This is a huge safety issue and I will not let my family drive the vehicle until Ford fixes this issue at Ford's expense. I researched online and this problem seems to be happening a lot to many owners. This needs an immediate mandate by NHTSA to Ford to issue a recall for this life threatening defect.

Mar 192013

Escape 6-cyl

2010 Ford Escape XLT (V6) is having repeated incidents (at random intervals) of throttle failures. Vehicle suddenly has no "gas pedal", idles roughly (800 to 1000 RPM) and has to be coasted to side of road. Only way to reset is to put vehicle in park and turn off (dangerous on interstates or if in left lane and no place to pull off), restart and most cases the problem is eliminated for hours, days or more. Sometimes it can occur many times within a short drive period and then go away for hours of issue-free driving. Engine service light (wrench) came on one day after some extremely rough idling caused by issue (engine bucked a bit) and service station read computer analysis as "throttle actuator control system" was stuck open and closed. They told me that it was probably defective and dangerous and that I should proceed to my Ford dealer asap. I took vehicle to Ford dealer (3/20/13) and they acknowledged the throttle body should be replaced, but said no recall had been issued so I would have to pay for repair. I could not believe this for a 2 year old car. This is a huge safety issue and I would expect a manufacturer to fix this problem immediately and shocked at their nonchalance regarding this problem. I went home and googled the issue and I see many articles and agencies looking into this problem so apparently I am not the only one having this problem. I am not allowing the my family members to drive the vehicle due to this safety issue until it is repaired by Ford at their expense. This could be a major lawsuit (injury or even fatalities) due to the safety of having to "limp off" a busy roadway with no warning and becoming a target.

Jan 242013

Escape 6-cyl

The wrench icon illuminated the 4 times the Escape failed to respond to acceleration. Each time it needed to be turned off and restarted. 1st failure (1/24/13) was at about 20mph (or less) while making a U-turn. I was able to coast over to bus lane. 2nd failure (2/4/13) was at 50mph after traveling 30 miles in heavy traffic. I drove directly to a transmission shop and was told "what an extreme safety issue this could be and that this was an expensive transmission to rebuild and it would be $2000 to $2500." 3rd failure (2/5/13) and by now I am quick to start emergency flashers. I was unable to restart in N. I was able to pull into a turn lane and had to turn Escape off and restart. I started researching on internet and determined that the problem was the electronic throttle body. 4th failure (2/11/13) same senerio. 2/14/13 I drove to don reid Ford, maitland, fl. I spoke to the service manager who agreed with me that the problem was the throttle body. $300 fix included $99. Labor with a 12 month warranty at any Ford dealer. That point sold me since this vehicle was likely to travel out of town, and that it could be done while I waited. I was not happy to check my paperwork after I got home and find that instead of stating the issue it said "customer states replace throttle body per customer request" I called the service manager and expressed my concern that this very dangerous safety issue was not documented on my paperwork. I was told that since the dealer did not diagnose the problem, which would have cost another $99 that this was the way it had to be written up. I believe that this sudden gas pedal failure could cause an accident and should be a recall before a death occurs. This 2010 was built 12/09. We bought this Escape 10/3/12 with 73,600 miles on it. We have tested it out on a 200 mile trip and a 1,000 mile trip.now trust the 2010 Escape.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Feb 242013

Escape 6-cyl

Upon entering the flow of traffic on highway my 2010 Ford Escape began to accelerate on its own and increasing speed, realizing what was happening I engaged the brake to no avail, I was unable to stop my vehicle. I navigated to the shoulder and was gaining speed on the traffic ahead so I looked for an exit into a parking lot with no one walking in my way and turned into the lot literally on two wheels due to my increasing speed. I saw a wooded area with a snow bank and thought I would head that way rather than the alternative of other vehicles, building or people. As I got closer I then turned the engine off and stopped but not after standing on my brakes and smelling burning from them.

- Bergenfield, NJ, USA