2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 23)

Sep 022014

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 45 mph, the throttle failed and the check engine light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Aug 282014

Escape 4-cyl

Engine stalled at 70 mph without warning on a busy highway. Still had power steering. Needed to cross three lanes of traffic without engine power. Extremely dangerous situation. Attempted to restart engine approximately 10 times. Each time engine would start, idle for several seconds, and then cut off. Eventually was able to start engine, put engine into neutral and revved engine to moderate RPM speed. Seemed to reset issue and was able to drive away.

- Yardley, PA, USA

Aug 262014

Escape 4-cyl

Me and my son were out I was driving around 35- 40 mph and my car started to feel strange out of the blue my wrench light comes on and then my engine light I lose all power I am hitting gas pedal nothing happens. Just stops on busy street. I was terrified for our safety. I turn off car wait a few mins and start again it happened 3 times in a 3 mile radius. Its parked and not risking my life or somebody else.

- Cabot, AR, USA

Aug 152014

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle lost power as the wrench warning icon illuminated. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The vehicle was not diagnose or repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 35,000.

- Norwalk, OH, USA

Apr 072014

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the wrench warning icon illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact stated that the cruise control would deactivate when the wrench warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be determined. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Lathrop, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling about 65 mph down the highway my 2010 Ford Escape's engine stopped completely. A warning light (the wrench on the Ford models) came on as a I coasted to a safe spot on the highway. Steering gave out a bit too. Car started right back up after I found a safe location to stop.

- Suffield, CT, USA

Oct 092013

Escape 4-cyl

Throughout all of last winter, I had issues with my 2010 Ford Escape stalling. This occurred countless times, and nearly caused many accidents. It most frequently occurred when it was very cold (zero or below), and on some occasions would stall numerous times in a row, or fail to re-start. No warning light of any sort ever came on. After paying well over $1000 to get various things "fixed" that I was told would solve the problem, it continued happening. Then I received the first bulletin letter regarding throttle body issues and took my car to the Ford dealership in South burlington, vt. They proceeded to tell me that because they couldn't duplicate the issue, or get a code, they couldn't help me. A few weeks later when it happened again, the wrench light came on for the first time, so I drove directly to the dealership again. I was told once again that they couldn't fix the throttle body issue, and tried charging me over $300 for diagnosing my car (looking into the issue of why the wrench was illuminated). I refused to pay, because this is a Ford issue, it's well documented all over the internet, and it's something they need to pay for. My car is still not fixed.

- Essex, VT, USA

Jul 012014

Escape 6-cyl

Came home from a 45 mile trip. Pulled up in front of our home. I put the vehicle into reverse & the engine died. Ford had just reprogrammed this vehicle per a recall only about 1,000 miles before this engine failure. I had noticed since the reprogramming that the engine hesitated at times & sounded/felt like at other times like the engine was going to die. Ford replaced spark plugs 1, 2, & 4 stating that they were intermittently misfiring under load. Since spark plugs were replaced vehicle no longer hesitates but the engine continues to sound/feel like it is going to die at times.

- Merced, CA, USA

Jul 202014

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving at 40mph on a city street. The vehicle suddenly shuddered and began to slow down. I am now aware to look for a trouble light. The wrench light was illuminated although difficult to see through the glare of the windshield. I was clearly able to see the light. The car slowed to a complete stop. The engine continued to run rough and there was no loss of electrical power. I put the car into park and restarted the car. The car ran without incident until I was able to park at home-about 5 miles away. The car had routine service on 7-16-2014. A throttle body reading was not done, as I requested at time of service, although it was documented, in writing, that there was a calibration update for my vehicle at this time. A previous incident of complete electrical failure was blamed on a faulty battery in March. I had absolutely no previous indication "failure" or cranking issues up until the time of electrical power/battery failure. Even the key fob did not work to unlock the doors. The battery was replaced at my expense. Inquiries about the throttle body issue was were also ignored, by the dealer, at that time.

- Westland, MI, USA

Jan 262011

Escape 6-cyl

I had just turned left under an underpas and was in the middle lane under an overpass I remember thinking "wow. This is apowerful engine." A car was coming in front of me and when I brake it did not slow down and I hit the car and that's all I remember when I came too the horn was blowing and two people were pounding on my windows and my emergency bag had deployed, I was released. They gave me first aid until the ambulance came, treated me and took me to the emergency room. The other driver was not injured. They kept me overnight. I believe because I had a concussion. I was very confused. They kept me overnight and went home the next day. The damage to my vehicle was in access of $16,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 302014

Escape 6-cyl

Driving in city 35-40 mph vehicle slowed to idle.pulled over because wrench light lit up, sat for 15-20 minutes vehicle restarted.

- Lorain, OH, USA

Jun 092014

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving to work on I75 at 75 mph when my 2010 Ford Escape lost power dropping to less than 20 mph. I was able to get from the left lane to the berm three lanes to my right. I waited about 5 minutes and restarted the car driving about 100 yds. When it happened again. I turned the car off and waited about 20 minutes then restarted and was able to get to work on side roads with the car surging and jerking along the way. I took the car to huntington Ford the next day and they could not find a cause. The following day I received a letter from Ford regarding what huntington referred to as a "limp home" mode which let take to a dealer and have the throttle body reprogrammed, which I did. The car was ok for a few days after that and then started stalling and surging again. I called the dealer and they said I should replace the throttle body but that even though it was under an extended warranty I would still need to pay for the replacement.

- Lake Orion, MI, USA

Jun 132014

Escape

While traveling 60 mph on I-45 South of houston, tx. My 2010 Ford Escape lost power. I immediately had to maneuver across 3 lanes of traffic while coasting to a stop. Luckily I was not hit!!! I turned the vehicle off and allowed it to sit for a few minutes. I restarted it and the orange wrench symbol appeared on the dash. I turned it off and restarted it again. This time the malfunction indicator lamp came on. I drove the vehicle home with limited operation, decreased engine power and vehicle speed. I experienced failure one more time during this trip. When I had the diagnostic trouble codes (dtc) pulled it was P2111, "throttle body stuck open." Researching it on the internet revealed NHTSA action number PE13003.

- Deer Park, TX, USA

Jun 142014

Escape

Wrench light came on and vehicle began sputtering and idling low, unable to exceed 5 mph.

- Middleburg, FL, USA

Jun 112014

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated while turning a corner, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. Also, the contact indicated that the vehicle had surged intermittently on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 49,150.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

Jun 072014

Escape 4-cyl

The first incident occurred approximately 2months ago (April 2014) as I was driving on a state road (new circle rd in lexington ky)at around 60mph during my morning commute around 8am. The vehicle seemingly stalled but all the systems were fine (still had power steering, lights, radio, braking system etc) with the exception of the accelerator which didn't do anything when I put my foot on the gas. I was able to coast over to the side of the road turned the engine off, sat for about 5 mins & was able to continue on the road without further issue (the check engine light didn't even come back on). The most recent date was 06/07/14 with my family in the car as passengers. I was at a stoplight turning left when, as previously, the engine stalled as I was turning. Again, all systems registered and were working but when I put my foot on the gas nothing happened. Again I was luckily able to coast to the side of the road and turn off the engine. This time after waiting roughly 5 mins and turning the engine back on, nothing happened after I hit the accelerator. I turned the engine back off and waited an additional 5 mins. This time I was able to give the car gas and as my home was nearby was thankfully able to make it to my house. The check engine light however did not go off as it had previously. I took the car to my dealership on 06/09/14 and they confirmed that it was the throttle body.

- Lexington , KY, USA

May 292014

Escape

Traveling about 6 pm (rush hour heavy traffic) 3 lane expressway when car would no longer accelerate. Had to coast over to the left shoulder since we were in the left passing lane. The left shoulder was not as wide as the right shoulder and we felt the situation was very dangerous we stayed in the car with our seatbelts on and called for road service (aaa). We did not receive help for two hours. Just purchased this car two months before this incident - pre owned certified by dealership. Can't understand why Ford waits until the part fails before replacing it. I feel strongly it should have been replaced as part of the "certification" process. There were no warning lights or indications this was going to happen before it happened. After the car "died", a wrench light appeared, but not until after we had coasted to a stop. If we had been in the middle lane instead of the lane next to the shoulder, I feel certain we would have been involved in a high speed possible multiple car accident as traffic was heavy and fast. This is so very wrong! thank you for making this complaint possible. I hope it helps result in a recall by Ford right away so no one has to get hurt or even die.

- California, KY, USA

Jun 012014

- Knoxville, TN, USA

Jun 012014

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, there was a sudden loss of engine power as the wrench warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for a diagnostic test. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 72,958.!....updated 07/31/14 the consumer no longer owns the vehicle. Updated 08/05/14

- Knoxville, TN, USA

May 112013

Escape 6-cyl

When driving in traffic, the car failed to accelerate, it rapidly lost power as if it were going to stall. I pulled over and restarted the car. At the time I had two small children in the car.

- Medford, MA, USA