2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 25 of 27)

May 222013

While driving down highway vehicle suddenly stalled and speed immediately dropped from 60 mph to 5 mph had to pull over to shoulder of road in heavy traffic and wait for tow.

- Henderson, NC, USA

May 212013

Escape 6-cyl

I am writing to you regarding an issue with my 2010 Ford Escape. I was driving on the highway around 65 mph when my car stalled. I was able to pull over but the car would not go over 5 mph. I was able to start the car up again and it seemed fine. Later that day, I was accelerating from being at a red light and the car stalled again. I know there is an investigation into a throttle body recall. Any information would be appreciated.

- Hudson, MA, USA

Jan 082013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling on a busy interstate, the accelerator suddenly stopped responding without any warning. The gas pedal did not work and the vehicle immediately started slowing down at an alarming rate. The check engine light displayed for the first time during this automatic shutdown. Luckily we were able to get the vehicle over to the shoulder of the highway without an accident. There were no symptoms or warnings before the vehicle dangerously shut down suddenly. This same issue has randomly happened 5-6 more times the past few months. We pull the vehicle to the side of the road and turn it off each time. After waiting a few minutes, we start the vehicle, engine light goes off and so far have been able to get to our destination. The most recent incident happened a few days ago and the check engine light remained on after restarting the vehicle. We just had the vehicle checked for error codes and it shows P2112 throttle actuator stuck closed.

- Abingdon, VA, USA

May 112013

Escape 6-cyl

Vehicle lost power while driving approx 40 mph. No response from the gas pedal. Shut ignition off and car ran fine for a while. Happened three more times. Took vehicle to Ford dealer for repair, they said it was a faulty throttle body. Vehicle is still in shop as there apparently is a "national backorder" on the part - none available right now.

- Canton, MI, USA

Jun 122012

While driving on interstate 4 (Florida) lost all acceleration of Escape while driving middle lane (70 mph). I contacted the dealership and paid for it to get fixed (they said it was a battery cable). I had two cars swerve to miss me as the car totally shut down as I was trying to get over to shoulder. I contacted Ford via email and received emails back indicating (and I have them on file) that there was no recall or notice of this kind of issue. The vehicle continues to have issues will accelerating and decelerating.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

Apr 302013

Escape 6-cyl

I was traveling on a four lane highway in southern Illinois with my cruise control on when my Escape accelerated suddenly then just as suddenly lost all acceleration. I coasted to the side of the road with my flashers on. I shut the vehicle off due to it surging. Left it off called my dealer and while on hold just tried to see if it would restart. It then restarted fine and I proceeded to my destination. Returned to my town of residence and took vehicle to dealership they kept it the rest of the day and reported " no codes, no ssms, no tsb, rant etb test passed no problems found at this time. The next day I was in town going up a hill when my Escape suddenly accelerated up hill and again suddenly lost all acceleration. I this time coasted into parking lot. Again vehicle was surging. I placed vehicle in park with parking break on due to the power of the surges. Called dealership explained issues and made them listen to vehile while in park. This time someone figured issues as throttle body sticking. They replaced throttle body that day and I have not had trouble since. I am only finding out about these issues after searching web for similiar issues and found this site and others listing same issues. This could be a very dangerous situation, I have a reported issue to Ford and have a customer complaint number but I am awaiting a representive to return my call at this time.

- Harrisburg, IL, USA

Oct 202012

Escape 6-cyl

After driving the vehicle for a couple of hours on Saturday morning on the interstate I was driving in city traffic. I made a right turn from a stopped position. As I accelerated the engine began to sputter and acted like it was not in gear. The dashboard wrench light came on and I had no response from the gas peddle and the idle was extremely rough. I coasted to a stop and turned off the vehicle. After reading in the manual about the light (power train issue) I called and had the vehicle towed to my dealer for service. As it was Saturday I had to wait for service until Monday. Monday morning I rented a vehicle from the dealer. On Thursday, 10/25/12, my vehicle was ready for pickup. When I spoke to the service adviser I was told it was the throttle body was sticking for an unknown reason and they replaced it. I was informed that this was not a power train issue, but it was an emissions issue. They also said it was not covered under the power train warranty. According to my service ticket they also charged me an additional $170 on a miscellaneous item. On 11/12/12 the wrench light came on again when I started the vehicle in the morning. I drove it to my dealer and was told it was the canister purge valve that had a leak. This was also not covered under warranty.

- Breaux Bridge, LA, USA

May 032013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving at speed of 65 on hwy on 5/3/2013 when vehicle lost all power, wrench light illuminated and vehicle came almost to complete stop although I had the accelerator completely depressed. Could only drive about 1 mile per hour. Pulled to side of road and tried to drive to repair shop but could not safely drive so stopped and called road side assistance. They suggested I call Ford Motor Company and when I contacted them they instructed me to turn off engine and restart which I did, wrench light went out and was then able to proceed home. Took vehicle to Ford motor repair shop and they could not find anything wrong with vehicle and they did not tell me there have been any problems with make/model. Talked to another repair shop and learned according to a technical bulletin there have been problems with throttle body of 2010 Ford Escapes manufactured from June 2009 to October 2009. This problem part was subsequently fixed on models manufactured after that time. Mine was manufactured in September 2009. This needs to be fixed on all vehicles in the identified manufactured dates since it has obviously been identified by the Ford company and Ford repair shops should advise owners of the problem. I have no other means of transportation and live in the memphis area where there is heavy interstate traffic I can not safely drive this car in multiple lane traffic since it may suddenly lose power to 1-2 mph in the middle of 70 mph traffic.

- West Memphis, AR, USA

May 062013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving to work going about 40mph when my Escape lost power to the throttle. I had to pull over and shut it off. I waited a few minutes to start it again. It started and drove with no problem for a few minutes and then the same thing happened again. After looking for similiar problems online I found that it is the throttle body.

- East Waterford, PA, USA

Apr 042013

Escape 6-cyl

While going about 65 to 70 mph on an interstate highway, I suddenly started to lose speed and was unable to accelerate using gas pedal. I pulled over to the berm and stopped the car, but left engine running. I then tried to slowly accelerate on the berm, but car started "bucking". we were on a trip and not particularly close to home, so we had the car towed to a Ford dealership. They "pulled the codes" and could find nothing wrong. They then test drove it and said it seemed ok. We had no problem after that until 4/29/13. My wife had the same problem on way to work, pulled over, and turned the car off. She then restarted it and had no problem. It happened to her again yesterday (5/5/13). Frankly, all 3 incidents put us in a dangerous predicament and we were lucky not to have had a more serious incident. We are now afraid to drive the car.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA

May 032013

Escape 6-cyl

I was accelerating up the on-ramp to the bay bridge from san francisco late this afternoon. The car was responding to my foot on the pedal as the engine revved and I gained speed, then suddenly it stopped responding and slowed to a chug with my foot still on the pedal. The wrench light illuminated as I practically came to a stop with speeding traffic slamming on brakes behind me. I put on hazards, stopped car, turned off engine, restarted car and the wrench light was off but the engine light remained on for the entire time afterwards. When I would accelerate in drive, it would limp at about 4 mph. I could not go any faster. I was able to get over to the slow lane and tried to keep going. The caltrans service patrol truck pulled up behind me and escorted me over to the left lane where I proceeded slowly to the next exit. I eventually was towed to the Ford dealer (where I bought the car) and had to leave it over the weekend. They charge a fee for diagnosis, but can't do it until Monday, so I don't know what they'll find. From what I've read, other people describe very similar symptoms. This was an extremely dangerous situation in the middle of Friday rush hour traffic. I was lucky no one was hurt. Since we bought the car new, the acceleration sound has always been loud, and sometimes passing gear sounds like it's over-shooting. After I stop accelerating, it still keeps revving. However, this is the first time it has stalled.

- Berkeley, CA, USA

May 012013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving 70 mph in left lane of 4 way interstate in rush hour traffic, my car suddenly lost all acceleration and I coasted to a stop on the left shoulder. Engine still ran, but car idled roughly and lurched forward. Turned engine off and called 911 and aaa (was sitting on narrow left shoulder of busy interstate at rush hour). After 10 minutes, called 911 again and they said help was still far away so I started car and was able to drive the car as normal so merged into traffic from left shoulder. By grace of god I was in the left lane when power was lost, not sure I could have made it to either shoulder had it happened while I was in one of the middle lanes. Also glad my 17 month old son wasn't with me, as I was on way to pick him up from daycare. Today (May 2), I drove car to dealer and was told that the problem is a faulty throttle body. Am having it replaced. Was told there is not a recall for this problem. Scary, thought I was going to die.

- Franklin, TN, USA

Apr 132013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled and the accelerator pedal failed to respond. The vehicle was taken dealer. The technician diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 38,000 and the current mileage was 40,000.

- Deltona, FL, USA

Apr 302013

Escape 6-cyl

As I was driving on the interstate going approximately 70 miles an hour, I noticed my vehicle slowing down, as I tried to accelerate the gas I was still slowing down and it was not going any faster. I quickly put my flashers on and pulled to the side of the highway, and noticed the car shaking and the wrench light turned on. I then turned off the car and called for help. A few minutes later help arrived and they were able to turn on the Escape and drive it into town to a car center to have a diagnostic test ran. It did not pull up anything on the test. I am terrified to drive it now in the event it happens again. I am lucky there wasn't too much traffic on the highway that I could get over quickly and out of the way. I hope we are able to figure out what is wrong with it and get this fixed.

- Denton, TX, USA

Aug 142012

Escape 6-cyl

During my lunch hour, the car just stopped running. I was not in a place where it was easy to pull over to the side. I tried pressing the gas pedal but it would just barely creep. I finally turned it off & restarted and it was ok. No warning lights came on. The second occurrence was on 4/26/13. I started to back out of a parking place and the throttle/power train light came on and it would barely move. I pulled back into the parking space and restarted it and it has been ok since.

- Kingsport, TN, USA

Apr 232013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

Fax letter from constituent regarding a potential compelling safety issue with her Ford Escape purchased from herb chambers Ford of braintree, MA; she believes for " no reason" it loses acceleration and causes the operator to "glide" to find safety. Updated 06/30/14

- Braintree, MA, USA

Escape 6-cyl

While driving on the highway, the wrench light came on and gas pedal went soft, had no power. Pulled off to the side, turned the car off for a few minutes. Restarted and continued on with no problem. Same thing happened again the next day. Car is at our Ford dealership now.

- Sheridan, IN, USA

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving along at about 60 mph on a 4-lane freeway when the vehicle started slowing down for no apparent reason. Efforts to apply more acceleration from the gas pedal had no effect. I had to cross three lanes of traffic to get to the berm and activated my hazard lights in the process and my son who was following me in another vehicle had to brake to avoid hitting me. The SUV never completely stopped but was traveling at about 2 mph on the berm. I stopped the vehicle and restarted it and it appeared to start okay but an open-end wrench appeared as a warning light (throttle control/power train). After getting back up to speed and merging with traffic the SUV died again in about 1/4 mile. I pulled over to the berm and restarted a second time. This time a service engine soon light appeared but the SUV appeared to run normally. I continued home and called the dealership and they said they could not help me until the service group came in on Monday. I asked to talk to a manager but they said they were all busy and that I'd have to wait until Monday. I left vehicle in my garage until Monday and then will try to take to have it serviced.

- Mentor, OH, USA

Apr 112013

Escape 6-cyl

Driving down the road the Escape felt like it stalled on the road with the wrench warning light. Pulled off and tried to give it gas but the car wouldn't go and the RPM's were jumping. Shut the vehicle off and called my husband and he said to shut it down and restart the car and see what happens (husband had a friend with another Escape do the same thing). I did that and it was fine. Had a shop check for codes but there were no codes present. Called Ford and was told that it was the throttle body/sensor and that its not covered under warranty (yet they new what the problem was just by me explaining it which tells me that its a known problem that they don't want to fix). Then today it did the same thing.

- Rincon, GA, USA

Jul 222012

Escape 6-cyl

Spouse drove away from house and vehicle stalled on the city street about 400 feet from home. This was on a Saturday, I attempted to drive the vehicle, continued to stall. I was able to get it into my garage and the vehicle was brought to the dealership on a flat bed truck to replace the throttle body and motor assembly at my expense. (no charge for towing).

- Wauwatosa, WI, USA