2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 3 of 28)

Jun 252014

Escape

I was driving along and my car stopped receiving input from the gas pedal at 50 mph entering the highway. This happened a month ago. This has happened twice as well as my car taking off when I accelerate from stopped position. Today 7/31/14 the gas pedal failed to work again when in a turn thank god nobody was behind me. You guys know there is a throttle body issue with all these Ford Escapes but yet you let them get away with this. Does someone have to die from a rear end collision because the throttle stays closed on the highway? people's lives are at stake here. My wife and kid are in this car what happens I go to pull out and it decides to just stay stuck halfway into the lane bam I get T boned then have to sue everyone that knew about this issue.

- Westerville, OH, USA

Jul 302014

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle had exited from freeway and was stopped on an exit ramp stop light. When gas was pushed to move vehicle from stopped position, the engine accelerated but the vehicle would not move forward. Initially, the wrench light appeared on dash and then later, this disappeared and the check engine light came on. Vehicle was taken to a nearby auto parts facility where a computer code evaluation was completed- this yielded the same code appearing 3 times: A problem involving the throttle actuator control system sensor. The technician stated that when the same problem code appears 3 times during the check, this accurately pin-points the problem.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 232014

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at 55mph on road. I lost all power to gas pedal the car was hard to steer to the side of the road. Put car in park shut car off.waited a few minutes an started car up. It ran this happens 2 or 3 times on the same day then it might not happen again for a week or two this a ongoing problem that Ford should place a safety recall not on soft customer satisfaction program#13no3 this is a serious safety issue.

- Frankfort, NY, USA

Oct 092013

Escape 4-cyl

Throughout all of last winter, I had issues with my 2010 Ford Escape stalling. This occurred countless times, and nearly caused many accidents. It most frequently occurred when it was very cold (zero or below), and on some occasions would stall numerous times in a row, or fail to re-start. No warning light of any sort ever came on. After paying well over $1000 to get various things "fixed" that I was told would solve the problem, it continued happening. Then I received the first bulletin letter regarding throttle body issues and took my car to the Ford dealership in South burlington, vt. They proceeded to tell me that because they couldn't duplicate the issue, or get a code, they couldn't help me. A few weeks later when it happened again, the wrench light came on for the first time, so I drove directly to the dealership again. I was told once again that they couldn't fix the throttle body issue, and tried charging me over $300 for diagnosing my car (looking into the issue of why the wrench was illuminated). I refused to pay, because this is a Ford issue, it's well documented all over the internet, and it's something they need to pay for. My car is still not fixed.

- Essex, VT, USA

Jul 092014

Escape

While driving I lost all RPM's on my vehicle. Vehicle starts to shake and if I push accelerator nothing happens. I have to turn vehicle off and restart for it to travel a little ways for it to only happen again. Put vehicle on machine at car shop and it states that throttle actuator stuck. I have seen numerous reports where other people are having this same problem. Why has there not been a recall issued?

- Santa Rosa , NM, USA

Jun 232014

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate and the wrench light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure and no repairs had been made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 52,800 and the current mileage was 53,000. Updated 08/14/14 the throttle body assembly was replaced. Updated 09/16/14

- Ukiah, CA, USA

Jun 112014

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated while turning a corner, the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. Also, the contact indicated that the vehicle had surged intermittently on multiple occasions. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 49,150.

- Muskegon, MI, USA

May 292014

Escape

Traveling about 6 pm (rush hour heavy traffic) 3 lane expressway when car would no longer accelerate. Had to coast over to the left shoulder since we were in the left passing lane. The left shoulder was not as wide as the right shoulder and we felt the situation was very dangerous we stayed in the car with our seatbelts on and called for road service (aaa). We did not receive help for two hours. Just purchased this car two months before this incident - pre owned certified by dealership. Can't understand why Ford waits until the part fails before replacing it. I feel strongly it should have been replaced as part of the "certification" process. There were no warning lights or indications this was going to happen before it happened. After the car "died", a wrench light appeared, but not until after we had coasted to a stop. If we had been in the middle lane instead of the lane next to the shoulder, I feel certain we would have been involved in a high speed possible multiple car accident as traffic was heavy and fast. This is so very wrong! thank you for making this complaint possible. I hope it helps result in a recall by Ford right away so no one has to get hurt or even die.

- California, KY, USA

May 112013

Escape 6-cyl

When driving in traffic, the car failed to accelerate, it rapidly lost power as if it were going to stall. I pulled over and restarted the car. At the time I had two small children in the car.

- Medford, MA, USA

Jun 012014

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on highway (with two children under 4 in the car), luckily it was stop and go traffic. The car completely and without warning lost power and I could no longer accelerate. I was able to put hazards on and pull over to the break-down lane (across three lanes of traffic), turn the car off and back on again. It restarted immediately. (weather was warm- mid 60S, no humidity, I had driven the car earlier in the day and had been driving for about 20 minutes. The car is well maintained and had recently had an oil change.)

- Medford, MA, USA

May 262014

Escape

This is the third incident in two days, I'm driving along when I take my foot of the gas pedal and coast, the engine dies, the dash shows the battery and oil light. You can still steer, but the car slows down drastically with the engine not running, I had someone almost rear end me, because I slowed down so much. All incidents were the same, but the first time it happened it was very scary because you didn't know what was happening and you didn't know what to do. The car will start back up if you park it or put it in neutral, but I was in the middle of an intersection the third time, stopped traffic cars were honking at me. This is a huge safety issue, taking it in tomorrow to get it fixed, should be a recall.

- Spokane, WA, USA

May 072014

Escape

Entering I-85 going West at approx. 60mph. Approx 1/4 mile the car lost power as I was entering the freeway. Traffic was merging onto the freeway around me and I put on my blinker to get to the side of the freeway to call a tow truck. It was very dangerous. The repair shop told me it was a throttle body issue.

- Garden City, ID, USA

May 062014

Escape 6-cyl

While driving the engine started misfiring and idling rough. Vehicle lost power, would not accelerate and I rolled to the side of the road where I restarted the car and it drove normally.

- Portland, OR, USA

May 042014

Escape 4-cyl

I was driving at approximately 25 mph, and suddenly the car began to sputter. The gas pedal was non responsive and the car was surging forward. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off. About 5 mins later I turned it back on and the engine and throttle lights came on. After a few seconds the throttle light went off, but the engine light stayed on. I then tried to drive the car home, but after about two blocks the same thing happened again. This happened several more times until I could get the car to a safe place and out of the road. The car is still in the parking lot where I left it and I am currently trying to find out my towing and repair options.

- Monroe, NC, USA

May 032014

Escape

When traveling at approx 50 mph, the engine made an automatic de acceleration, with the rpms going to 1000. Even when stepping on the gas pedal, the rpms did not change and the car came to a very slow speed just over idle speed. A wrench symbol appeared in the indicator lights. I placed in park and turned off the car. When restarting, the wrench symbol went away and the car drove normal for about 20 miles until the same thing happened. It appears that something in the computer brains is telling the engine to shut down. This happened a few more times over weekend and thankfully I was not in heavy traffic and was able to pull off to the shoulder. Today is May 4, 2014 and tomorrow I plan to take the car into Ford dealership on sterling Virginia. I have read recent complaints from Ford Escape owners that match exactly my problem. This is obviously unsafe and should be reported as a re call.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Mar 162014

Escape

2010 Ford Escape. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle throttle body issues. The consumer she received a letter regarding the throttle body, but didn't think it sounded too serious. The letter stated engine power and vehicle speed would be reduced. The consumer stated she had the misfortune of experiencing the problem on March 16, 2014. The speed was not just reduced, but the gas pedal was inoperable and the vehicle just coasted to a stop, as if she had run out of gas. All the while, the engine was running, although not smoothly and all the lights were in working order. Minutes later, the wrench light illuminated on the dashboard.

- Palm City, FL, USA

Aug 312013

Escape

I was driving on I-66 at about 60 mph and suddenly lost power. Luckily I was just approaching an exit in a rural area and was able to coast onto the ramp, which sloped downward ahead of me. The engine continued to run but at a very low RPM and there was no response to the gas pedal. The wrench symbol came onto the instrument panel. I had the car towed about 40 miles to my usual independent mechanic. After investigation, I was told that this was a throttle body problem. They installed a new throttle body and the problem has not returned for seven months.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Mar 312014

Escape 6-cyl

On Dec.31 at approximately 2 P.M. I was driving South on citrus ave. I was going 55 mph and my vehicle started losing speed. I moved to the side of the road. I turned off the ignition and when I restarted the car it ran as normal. Prior to that, on several occasions upon starting from a stop I had noticed faster acceleration than the amount of pressure I was applying to the gas pedal.

- Dunnellon, FL, USA

Mar 302014

Escape 6-cyl

While driving approx 45-60 mph wrench icon and engine icon lights came on vehicle stopped accelerating everything else worked and engine was still running, gas pedal did not accelerate or raise RPM's. pulled to side of road put in park and turned engine off, vehicle started with hesitation wrench light did not appear, engine light remained on though vehicle was drivable again. Problem happened repetitively the rest of the 45 min drive home with wrench light appearing and acceleration ceasing had to pull over and restart numerous times. Engine icon remains lit.

- Myrtle Beach, SC, USA

Mar 292014

Escape 6-cyl

I was accelerating to get on the I-5 South in carlsbad ca when suddenly the wrench warning light came on and immediately after that the vehicle lost all throttle, pushed the gas pedal down and nothing happened. I was in the third lane and had to coast back to an almost non- existent shoulder and we were nearly struck by two vehicles in the process. I am taking the vehicle back to the Ford dealer where it was purchased, we were recently there for a check engine light that was diagnosed to be "no problems". I do not feel confident or safe in this vehicle and will not allow my wife and child to ride as passengers in it again. I am putting the vehicle up for sale and not going to purchase the 2014 I had planned to buy as a second car. Just a note, my co- worker has a 2011 and had the same issue four times with one nearly causing a head-on collision in an intersection. This far along, do people have to die before this is fixed?

- Carlsbad, CA, USA