2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 7 of 28)

Oct 182013

Escape 4-cyl

It is most likely the throttle body of this vehicle it drives normal than cuts off in traffic, restarts drives normal, and you never know when it cuts off again, extremely concerned that an incident may occur.

- Dade City, FL, USA

Oct 142013

Escape 6-cyl

Throttle body replaced on 10/16/2013. Merging onto interstate highway when sudden down shift and engine rev occurred. Car would not accelerate when needed and pulled onto safety lane.. turned engine off and restarted, same thing occurred with acceleration at 60 mph and higher. Very dangerous because car slows down dramatically and will not accelerate.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Oct 162013

Escape

Backed out of parking space, wrench lit on dash, no throttle control, erratic idle. Have a code scanner, it read P2111. Placed in park, shut engine off and restarted, light went off. Drive 5 minutes, wrench light came on again, no throttle control, erratic idle, codes P2111, P2112. Almost got rear-ended. Again put in park and restarted, made it home. This has happened 3 times before this in the last 2 weeks. Very dangerous loosing power like that with no warning, I'm afraid to let my wife drive the vehicle, she is on the freeway more. I'm lucky to be on less traveled side roads where I can pull over to shoulder to restart vehicle. Some say its the throttle body, others the electronic gas pedal. Vehicle is out of warranty and I don't want to throw money at parts. Ford should recall this.

- New Berlin, WI, USA

Aug 242013

Escape 6-cyl

On 8/24/13, while traveling out of state, I entered the highway, got my speed up to 70 mph, when the vehicle jolted hard and all acceleration was lost. I coasted to a stop on the side of the highway, turned the engine off, waited 30 seconds, and restarted it. It cranked hard, but started. I reentered the highway, accelerated to about 70 mph and the Escape lost acceleration again. I again coasted to a stop and repeated the above steps. The car once again started and I was able to complete my trip home, keeping my speed to around 55mph. No problems with the vehicle from 8/24/13 until 10/15/13. On 10/15/13, the vehicle was being driven around 25 mph when it lost all acceleration. By turning the vehicle off and back on, it was able to be driven to its destination. About 4 hours later, returning home, the vehicle twice more lost all acceleration while going about 25 mph. All 5 of these incidents happened in busy, high trafficked areas, and posed a real accident potential for my family.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Oct 092013

Escape 4-cyl

While traveling at approximately 45 mph, vehicle dies, no power and the throttle position sensor comes on.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Oct 122013

Escape 6-cyl

Traveling on I 64 East toward richmond in the left lane at approx 70 mph in very heavy, fast moving traffic. The engine immediately begin to lose acceleration, the engine wrench icon came on, and the vehicle was rapidly slowing; depressing the accelerator had no effect. There was no left shoulder, and I had difficulty in maneuvering to the right side of the interstate due to traffic. This was quiet alarming. I called for assistance. After researching on internet for about 5 minutes, I started the car, cancelled the tow truck and continued. It appears that this is a common issue with the throttle body assembly and will become increasingly more frequent on my automobile. It is definitely a safety issue.

- Dyer, TN, USA

Jul 162013

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the highway when my car seemed to stall out even though it is an automatic. I pulled over to the side of the road and turned the car off. I turned it on again and it seemed fine. I continued driving and it did the same thing. I took it to my mechanic and he told me that it was a faulty throttle body and needed to be replaced.

- Quincy, MA, USA

Oct 122013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving out of my subdivision, my Ford Escape lost all power. The engine was surging but the vehicle would not respond when pressing the gas pedal. I turned the vehicle off and restarted it, but the same problem occurred. The vehicle was towed to the dealership where a diagnostic test revealed a failed throttle body. Even though my vehicle is slightly under the 5 yr/60,000 mile powertrain warranty, the dealership is insisting on using my extended warranty to cover the part which will cost me $100 deductible and I will be responsible for the most of the cost of my rental vehicle (extended warranty company only pays rental car for labor hours on vehicle repairs, the vehicle will not be pulled in for repair for several days).

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 102013

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated while traveling approximately 60 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The failure was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 56,000.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Oct 082013

Escape 6-cyl

Surging/loss of RPM/power....defective electronic throttle body....had to be replaced....should be a recall on this part.

- Highland, IL, USA

Oct 072013

Escape 6-cyl

While traveling 65 mph on the highway the vehicle suddenly lost all power and shuttered to a stop. Throttle body replaced by Ford dealer on 10/08/13.

- The Colony, TX, USA

Oct 042013

Escape 4-cyl

We were driving the car down the road and the gas peddle stopped working completely. We could not get out of the way of traffic for a bit. We pulled over, turned the car off. Started back and it seemed to be fine. Once we started back down the road it did it again. It seems to be happening more frequently and is very dangerous when pulling out into traffic. My car is under warranty and Ford will not cover it. This seems to be a very well known issue with these cars. My question is, why has this not been a recall before someone gets injured?

- Hiawassee, GA, USA

Aug 202013

Escape 6-cyl

Cruising at 60mph. Without warning, car slows, throttle unresponsive. Engine warning light on. Car did not stall, but would not respond to throttle. Coast to side of road, dodging traffic. Put car in park, restarted and everything was normal. As of Oct 7, 2013 this has occurred five times. Code reader picks up no codes from engine PCM.

- Matlacha Isles, FL, USA

Oct 062013

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate with the illumination of the wrench warning icon. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. There was a hesitation upon restarting but then the vehicle resumed normally. The failure recurred on a separate occasion. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and informed that the throttle body would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 76,179.

- Middle River , MD, USA

Oct 052013

Escape 6-cyl

As I pulled on to the highway the electronic throttle body malfunctioned almost causing an accident. The car lost power and the gas pedal had no effect. The check engine light and small wrench lights came on. After safely getting off the highway I shutdown the engine and when restarted all seemed fine, the warning lights were off and the gas pedal again worked. The similar event took place twice more on my short drive home, engine idle only with no ability to add power, turning the car off reset the system returning power.

- Ducktown, TN, USA

Oct 042013

Escape

Throttle body quit functioning while driving down the road. This caused the vehicle to lose power in the middle of traffic which could have been very dangerous and possibly deadly.

- Roxboro, NC, USA

Oct 032013

Escape 6-cyl

I was slowing down almost to a stop at a red light when the light turned green. As I tried to accelerate to continue through the intersection, my car suddenly would only go about 5-10 mph. I had to pull in front of moving cars to cross 2 lanes of traffic to pull over to a nearby gas station. My car was towed to a local Ford dealership where the problem was diagnosed as the throttle body. Apparently, this is a common problem with multiple Ford models, yet there has not been a recall. I have already spent $90 for a tow and $30 for a rental car. The estimate for the repair is about $450.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Sep 252013

Escape 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, he attempted to make a turn when suddenly the engine stalled with the illumination of the warning indicator. The vehicle resumed normally once restarted. The failure recurred once. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for diagnosis where the technician replaced both the throttle body and motor assembly. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 46,230. Updated 11/13/13

- Dwight, IL, USA

Aug 092013

Escape

Had my 2010 Ford Escape fixed due to a throttle body issue. The car would suddenly loose power and almost stall. This happened at all speeds. Technician was very familiar with it and said it was a common issue but Ford was not doing a recall. This very unsafe as it would happen on the highway at all speeds.

- Holbrook, MA, USA

Sep 082013

Escape 6-cyl

Began at idle at stop light/sign; rpms go up/down then stall. Then while driving approx 45 mph, car does a "thud", doesn't stall, but gas peddle no longer works, you can push it to the floor and nothing. I turned on my flashers, coasted off side of road and stopped. Shut engine off and restarted it. 2nd time, while going threw a huge, busy intersection at rush hour, car started jerking, gas peddle quit working, almost got rear-ended, whole family was with me; rolled off side of road, turned car off and restarted it. When turning key on it would make the repeated start sound before it actually started. When the "thud" happens the "wrench" light eliminates on my dash, but once I shut off key and restart, the "wrench" light goes away. I took it to the dealership and they told me it was a "canister purge valve" that needed replacing and wanted to charge me $390 to fix. I paid them the $92 diagnostic fee and my husband paid $42 for the part and replaced it himself. Only my problem still exists as that wasn't the problem at all. I called Ford back today explaining it happened to me again today while turning a corner at 15 mph and they then guessed it was the "throttle body" and I have to take it back in to the dealership tomorrow! my friend with same yr, make and model of Escape was on the hwy and it happened last week; she almost got hit by a semi truck!!

- Lees Summit, MO, USA