2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 8 of 28)

Jun 012013

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while traveling at unknown speeds, the vehicle failed to respond to acceleration attempts. The vehicle was not repaired or diagnosed. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 45,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Aug 052013

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph the vehicle stalled. A few days later while driving 70 mph the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and was informed the throttle body would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 82,000. Updated 01/07/14

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Escape 6-cyl

Driving about 55-60 when the car lost power, pulled over and the car would run at a slow idle. I shut he car off and it restarted drove about another 6 miles and it did it again. Had it repaired today, and told my 60,000 mile power train warranty does not cover this, neither does the engine. Replaced the throttle body.

- Decatur, IN, USA

Escape 6-cyl

I was driving on the interstate in tampa, fl (speed limit 70 mph) and the traffic was fairly heavy. The vehicle suddenly decelerated (the gas pedal was unresponsive) from 70 mph to 0 mph. This forced me to make an emergency change of two lanes to get to a place I could pull off safely. I coasted to a shoulder some distance up the road as there were concrete barriers that immediately bordered this stretch of highway where the incident occurred. Multiple cars had to slam on brakes and make last-minute lane changes to avoid colliding with other vehicles now forced to do a fraction of the speed limit. Very scary. Once stopped the SUV idled heavily around 1000rpm and then cut off. I called a mechanic who stated to try the car again and it started fine but with check engine light on. Was able to drive to mechanic with this incident happening only one more time (this time I stayed next to emergency lane with my hazards on) and he stated it was code P2112 which on looking up, is an ongoing issue with multiple Ford Escapes 2009-2012 models. This was very dangerous and when looking up info, it shows there is an investigation with the NHTSA as of last year but no info since. This is happening frequently, my spouse and I were so very lucky that nothing happened to us. I am now taking the vehicle to Ford who states it is, of course, not under warranty. How is this not a recall when you can find many many complaints about this same thing happening all over the internet. Also, I saw some reviews where drivers have had this replaced more than once! scary happenings. Please look into this situation and ensure Ford makes this right. I am concerned about driving it and scared to put my child in the vehicle knowing that when it is fixed, that according to reports, it has happened again.

- Parrish, FL, USA

Escape

My son was driving to a school event Saturday night when the car stalled and the throttle position light came on. He was able to get it of the side of the road safely. I put a scanner on the car and it said throttle control module was stuck open, but when I started the car it ran fine. I think this is a serious issue that needs address by Ford.

- Lovilia, IA, USA

Aug 012013

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled followed by the illumination of the wrench warning indicator. The contact performed a diagnostic, which located the failure at the electronic throttle body. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 80,000.

- Allensville, KY, USA

Sep 092013

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while traveling 70 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was diagnosed by the contact, who found that the throttle body had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 74,217.

- Shiner, TX, USA

Sep 192013

Escape

With cruise control engaged at 55 mph, the vehicle suddenly disengaged cruise control and went to an extremely rough idle with the vehicle shaking like a leaf in the wind. Had to exit highway through traffic as the throttle would not respond in any position. It was early morning with light traffic thankfully. This could have been different if the problem had occurred later in the day during heavy traffic.

- Boomer, NC, USA

Sep 192013

Escape 6-cyl

Sitting at a traffic light, when it turned green attempted to accelerate, throttle became unresponsive immediately and the powertrain system fault light came on. After turning off the ignition the car started back up with out incident and continued the drive that day. About 1 week later, had the same thing happen twice in one day and then four times the next. Of the seven total incidents, 3 of which happened in major intersections blocking flow of traffic and turned me into a safety hazard.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Aug 262013

Escape 4-cyl

I was traveling through a busy intersection, as I mashed the gas pedal nothing happened. My car went "limp" as if it had cut off but it was still on. I coasted to the side of the road, just barely avoiding being struck by speeding traffic. I cut my car off and waited 5 minutes then restarted it. I was able drive it a short distance to a mechanic where it again "went limp". after my car was examined, the mechanic determined the problem was the throttle body had malfunctioned.

- Wedowee, AL, USA

Sep 182013

Escape 6-cyl

When the Ford Escape is driving and stops at a light the engine starts to riddle. Once you hit the gas the car goes into second gear then the gas pedals stops working. Can't use the gas pedal.

- North Babylon, NY, USA

Sep 102013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

I was driving vehicle onto entrance ramp of freeway when the power suddenly cut out and the car coasted. The "wrench" light illuminated on the dashboard. I was able to steer the vehicle to the side of the road. I called a Ford dealer and had the vehicle towed. The throttle body had a fault in the system and was replaced at a cost of nearly $300.

- Lansdale, PA, USA

Aug 012013

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the accelerator failed to respond to acceleration attempts as the vehicle stalled. The contact also mentioned that the check engine light and the wrench warning icon illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the mechanic stated that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000. The current mileage was 75,542. Updated 11/15/13

- Augusta, GA, USA

Sep 172013

Escape 6-cyl

Tonight I was driving home doing about 55mph when my vehicle suddenly shuddered and lost all power. Luckily I was able to coast it to where it was mostly off of the road. It did not die but continued to shake while in high idle. The power steering was not working properly and no engine lights came on. Pushing the gas pedal produced zero results. I shut it down and pondered whether to try and start it back up or just call a tow truck. Being out in the country I decided to take a chance. It started up and ran fine...for less than two miles...when it repeated the same scenario only in a much more dramatic loss of power shudder and real rough idle. Wrench light came on. I took a picture of the display panels. Didn't notice the loss of power steering that time and the engine did not die. Called the dealership... no tow truck available. Took my chances again and drove it to the dealership since it was only a few miles further then going home. Didn't have any problem during that drive but detected an engine whine sound that I had never noticed before. Vehicle has 53,393 miles on it. Engine was pulled at 8K for oil leaks. Have had numerous incidents of shifting clunking sound at take off over the life of it. Have had brakes fail in reverse. Always pump them before backing out of my garage to make sure they're working ok that day. All work, right down to tire rotations have been done only at the dealership I purchased this brand new at. Luckily I purchased an extended warranty. Guess I'll learn tomorrow what's up with it this time. Sad to have a $28,000 vehicle that I've never really trusted since its early failure. Just thankful I wasn't still on the interstate moving along in 70+ mph rush hour traffic. I will never trust this vehicle again after experiencing this.

- Waynesville, OH, USA

Sep 162013

Escape 6-cyl

Defective throttle body was replaced by Ford 9/17/2013.

- Riva, MD, USA

Sep 112013

Escape 6-cyl

Traveling at 60 mph on the highway, vehicle suddenly lost acceleration and the yellow wrench light came on. Coasted to the side of the road and put vehicle in park. Pushed down on accelerated, but no response. Shut down vehicle. Waited a few moments. Vehicle started again. Drove directly to dealership. After two days, they were unable to diagnose a problem. That was five days ago. This evening, it happened again. Vehicle is returning to dealership along with several articles regarding Ford's throttle body issue. I have also filed a complaint with Ford on their website.

- Jacksonville, NC, USA

Sep 122013

Escape 6-cyl

Was driving to work and the little wrench symbol lit up as my car lost its acceleration. It still idled, but wouldn't move forward. I was able to drift to the side of the road. Turned off the engine and restarted it, drove another 5 feet and it happened again. I was able to pull off into a parking lot and wait for a tow truck to tow my vehicle to the Ford dealer. It was found that the throttle body was faulty but the Ford dealer said it was not covered under my warranty.

- Catasauqua, PA, USA

Sep 132013

Escape 6-cyl

First incident Sept 13, 2013. Traveling at a speed of 55mph on highway 32 when a sensation of someone just pulling the plug on the engine fuel intake. There was no response at all when pushing the accelerator pedal. The vehicle remained idling and I was able to pull safely off the road into a nearby parking lot. I was able to maneuver it still while idling, to position the vehicle of possible towing. I had left the vehicle idling and called my local Ford dealer. They asked me if I had "cycled" through by turning the motor off and trying to restart. I told them I had not. They told me to turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes and try to start it and see if the electronic throttle body would reset itself. I did and it did reset. Second incident Sept 16, 2013. Car was parked in my driveway on slight incline. I put into reverse to exit the driveway. Once in the street I put into drive to start going forward and there was not response at the accelerator, just like the first time. I turned the car off and let it sit for a minute and restarted it. Throttle body had reset and I proceeded on my way again.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Sep 162013

Escape

When attempting to accelerate from a stop the throttle did nothing. It barely moved. Pulled off to side of road and restarted. After a bit it started up and drove fine for another 5 miles but then it happened again. Pulled off road, restarted and returned home as I was too afraid to continue driving it. Taking it to mechanic today to have it diagnosed. During the drive home the transmission was shifting early and otherwise acting slightly strange.

- Inwood, WV, USA

Sep 082013

Escape

Car throttle almost stalls to rough idle, sputters but cannot give it gas or rev engine wrench symbol lights up you must turn off car to restart after about 10 times and it happening every mile or so the check engine light is on and stays on even after restarting. This will happen out of nowhere while driving at any speed but idles just enough to pull over to safety ! restart and drive a mike and either just idling or accelerating it just quits going. I called taylor Ford and was told I was out of warranty but need throttle body and approx $450 ! so they too know it's an issue!

- Taylor, MI, USA