2010 Ford Escape engine problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 28)

Oct 122016

Escape 4-cyl

Throttle body "secret" recall: For more than a year my gas pedal wouldn't work when accelerating after being stopped at random times, sometimes going months before it did it again, other times doing it multiple times during a 2 mile trip. It never set off any codes relating to the issue. Four mechanics over a year looked at the vehicle including the dealership and fixed multiple things and the car continued to die while I was driving it, usually in heavy traffic. After spending $600+, Ford finally decided to try a new part (throttle body), which was free to me because of a recall that was not advertised. After a week, this seems to have fixed the issue. Now I have paid $600+ for parts that weren't causing the issue and spent a year trying to solve the issue.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 242016

Escape

On 8/24/2016 my Ford Escape lost power, accelerator not working, while driving 65 mph on freeway. The wrench light came on. After turning off and on engine, it worked fine.it happened twice within 10 minutes. Ford dealer fixed it by replacing electronic throttle body for on 8/30/2016. On 10/10/2016 it happened twice again and Ford dealer did nothing because they couldn't find anything wrong on it. Now it is ok, not sure if it will happen later.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Sep 272016

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. While driving 65 mph, the vehicle independently decelerated to 30 mph without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the throttle body was contaminated and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 85,000.

- Potomac, MD, USA

Jul 152016

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. While driving 30 mph, the service vehicle soon warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle lost power. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred on ten separate occasions. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage and VIN were unknown.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jun 012016

Escape

All of a sudden the engine starts to rev up when I am waiting at a traffic light or driving. It scares me that I push on the brake more as I am waiting for traffic light to change or when I am driving I take my foot off the gas pedal because am afraid of going faster.

- Galena Park, TX, USA

Sep 082016

Escape

Gas pedal becomes unresponsive without warning. Brakes work but shake car when I try and slow down. Car seems ok after turning engine off and back on. I bought this 2010 Escape pre-owned in 2013 and this happened the day we got it. Dealership replaced the electronic throttle body and it has been fine until about a week ago when same issue has happened twice in a week. Dealership is replacing the electronic throttle body once again for free. It concerns me that this is having to be replaced a second time. If a manufacturer is aware of a known safety issue like this and they replace the part, I'm expecting whatever was inherently wrong with the part causing it to fail to be fixed. Now I'm wondering how long until it has to be replaced again or if it will go out during high traffic on the highway putting my wife in harms way without any way to control the speed of the vehicle.

- Rowlett, TX, USA

Sep 022016

Escape

*P2111 throttle actuator control system-stuck open* the first time it happened I was pulling on to the highway from a side road when I went to accelerate my car started to shake and jerk then lost power. I was able to limp it to a side street where I turned it off and then tried turning it back on again, my car wouldn't turn over at first and took three times before it finally cam back on with no problems at all and I took it back home where it stayed till a friend could come look at it. Nothing was found at first. The second time this happened I was driving down the road and I started to lose power I was able to pull into O'reily's where they hooked it up to the computer and came up with the code listed above.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Jul 122016

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vehicle independently shifted into limp home mode. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it diagnosed that the vehicle needed a software update. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The contact manually replaced the throttle body. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 55,000. The VIN was not provided

- Heavener, OK, USA

Jun 032016

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. While driving approximately 50 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate when depressing the accelerator pedal. The driver coasted to the side of the road, restarted the vehicle, and resumed driving. The failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that a code P2112 failed, and the throttle body stock closed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact referenced action number: PD12006. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 145,000.

- Bordentown, NJ, USA

May 192016

Escape

Turned right onto freeway onramp with slight incline, after driving a couple of miles. Made it about 20 feet when the accelerator pedal stopped working. Unable to coast out of lane of traffic due to incline and was almost hit by multiple vehicles during rush hour. Two red warning lights on dash (I think engine oil and battery). Nothing stopped besides the gas pedal (radio, A/C were still running). Put vehicle in park and turned off. Was able to immediately restart and accelerator pedal worked again. Vehicle had new throttle body related to csp 13N03 at 41,000 miles. Current mileage 90,000.

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Apr 062016

Escape

For about a month, when I would first begin to leave my residence, the Ford Escape would surge forward maybe 5 to 10 feet while already in motion on the street. Then the Escape stalled completely when I slowed down to make a turn... thank god I did not turn in front of some on-coming vehicles. The Escape has also felt like it wanted to stall several other times while driving around town before it finally did just before that turn I already mentioned. Ford has not offered to buy this vehicle back (outside of a trade-in for a new purchase) but I sure wish to god they would. I had the vehicle looked at by Ford & they had to replace the throttle body for the third/3rd time! it is under a 150,000 mile recall for this very problem. Our vehicle has just over 70,000 miles & we have had to have the throttle body replaced 3 times! we bought the Escape brand new... nearly $40,000 with all the bells & whistles... I think we average about 8,000 miles before each major problem... insane.... disgusting.

- Merced, CA, USA

Feb 032014

Escape

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the vent controls failed without warning. The contact was unable to use the air conditioning and heating function. Years before, the dealer replaced the power steering control module and the ic module, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body sensor and blower motor failed. The contact later experienced an extremely strong vibration in the steering wheel and the power steering warning light flashed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for further inspection to determine the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V284000 (steering). The dealer replaced the parts. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 97,411.

- Ira, MI, USA

Nov 012015

Escape

The vehilcle went into a mode where it was able to keep throttling and was about to stall. It would throttle up and down on its own while moving. Powering off the vehicle corrected the issue for the time being.

- Newark, OH, USA

Oct 292015

Escape

While driving my wife's 2010 Ford Escape in on I40 in heavy traffic the vehicle lost acceleration and the "wrench" check engine light illuminated. Everything else with the vehicle seemed to be functioning ok however I could not accelerate or maintain the speed at which I had been traveling. This was during rush hour traffic on 10/29/15 with my wife and a coworker in the vehicle. I shut the vehicle off and restarted it however the problem persisted the vehicle would not move forward, until 20 or so minutes later. I drove the rest of the way home and had the engine error codes read code P2112 throttle body actuator systems closed shut error appeared. This happened without warning on a major highway in heavy traffic my wife coworker and self could have been killed.

- Mebane, NC, USA

Oct 042015

Escape

My car sometimes suddenly just losing power. I could get killed on the freeway. From researching a bit I see it has something to do with the throttle body control. This has happened two time in the last two weeks. Once as we get getting ready to get on the freeway and the second time as we were crossing a busy intersection, luckily we were able to get across the road without getting hit. I am afraid I have bought an unsafe car.

- Post Falls, ID, USA

Jul 242015

Escape

I was stopped at a traffic light, with the brake engaged, and my car lunged forward into the car ahead of me, damaging it's liftgate (minivan) and bumper. I initially thought someone must have rear-ended my car, pushing me into the other car, but I was not hit from behind. My foot was on the brake the entire time. I am concerned this might happen again, injuring someone possibly in a crosswalk, or lunging me into cross traffic.

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 312015

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The problem demonstrated as I left the shopping center and made the first turn onto the street. The engine was very rough and not consistent, the speed varied from 20 - 40 miles per hr without any pressure to the accelerator. As I came to a red traffic light I had almost no brake pressure and prepared to turn into a school parking lot. This occurred in the first half mile of country road; as I realized I had no braking power I turned into a park lot and called for a tow truck. Fortunately there was little traffic that evening. This produced unnecessary anxiety for me even though I was close to home. Our mechanic checked many things, finally deciding it was diagnostic codes PO306, PO316, PO109, po 300, and PO304. Ford tells me this is not under warranty. Once again I felt this problem placed me in a potentially life-threatening situation for me as the throttle body had done previously (before the recall). I have nearly 3 computer pages of problems with this vehicle, ranging from seat belt latches, rear seat latches, hatch latch and defroster, quarter panel paint defect and rust, fan speed and effectiveness. This latest incident and the throttle body issues are the most serious. Tonight Ford informed me there is no Ford complaint form online. I was adamant that a Ford engineer needs to call me so I can discuss all the issues with this vehicle. Trade in value on this vehicle has probably plummeted due to all the issues. This vehicle was paid off in 3 years and I am not in a position to buy a new vehicle but I hope it will not be the death of me. In the interest of public safety I hope these problems can be resolved. After all the issues with this Escape I wonder how many car "accidents" are really "accidents". thank you for reviewing this data.

- Bellefontaine, OH, USA

Aug 312015

Escape

On August 31, 2015 I was leaving an airport and accelerating to merge onto a highway. I believe I was close to 60mph when I felt something in my car change. All of the electronics were still working, so I knew it was not an issue with my battery. The wrench light appeared and I realized I was no longer able to accelerate. I immediately got over to the right lane and by this time my speed had dropped to 40mph. I was able to safely pull over and put my car into park. The rpms spiked and I turned my car off. After waiting a minute or so I was able to restart my car with no problem. I got back onto the highway and took my exit. Maybe 5-7 miles from the location of the first incident, I was driving approximately 40mph down a 2-lane street when the same thing happened. This time both the wrench light and the engine light were on. Once again I pulled over, put my car into park, the RPM's spiked higher this time. I shut my car off. I was again able to restart my car right away with no problem. In the 9 days since this happened I haven't experienced this problem again. I am extremely nervous my engine will shut off on a highway again, in a location where I will not be able to pull over safely. When I called Ford they said my warranty covers the throttle body, so they have scheduled the throttle body repair for September 11, 2015. This is a very common problem, and I think Ford needs to address this for the safety of all drivers.

- Aurora, CO, USA

Sep 022015

Escape

While driving my tool light came on and car lost power. Pulled over to side of the road and turned off car. Restarted car and light was off then car drove fine. Took my car into bickford fford and was told they can't do anything because the light wasn't on so they can't get a code. How am I suppose to get get the extended warranty on throttle body issues if the light goes away when the car is turned off" I can't drive the car when this happens so how am I suppose to get this covered by Ford? I'm suppose to drive my car with unsafe conditions until it permanently breaks down" seems like a scam.

- Lake Stevens, WA, USA

May 012015

Escape

I pulled out of my street on to a main road and with no warning my Escape shut off completely while driving and multiple cars almost hit me because it was so unexpected. Now my car randomly shuts off and goes into limp mode, causing it to be quite dangerous to drive my vehicle because it gives you no warning.

- Abington, MA, USA