2010 Ford Escape steering problems

2010 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 4 of 5)

Sep 062010

1st got Escape had to have some reprogramming affecting the transmission. 2nd had to have the transmission repair. 3rd my dash lights blink from bright to dim during the daytime/ 4th had to have the ignition replace - when I put my key in--would not turn-. 5th even after having the transmission repair-still changes hard. 6th sometimes when parked on and incline-place in drive-will make a "pop" noise. Still do not feel like my car is working/running at a 100%. I did take out another wrty--just incase--however it is almost up. My husband & I have drove Ford for the past 35 years-am very disappointed with my Escape. 7th use stability control once---is it suppose to sound like the car is breaking into?

- Bluff City , TN, USA

Dec 282013

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the steering wheel seized without warning. The contact stated that he coasted the vehicle to the side of the roadway to restart it. The vehicle was taken to the manufacturer for inspection and they stated that the power steering shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,000.

- New Boston, MI, USA

Mar 122014

Escape 4-cyl

The steering at first start up will not turn after restart works with a shake in the steering wheel an at stop light.

- Hermon, ME, USA

Mar 072014

I bought the car 6 months ago. Parked the car on Friday night, came outside to start my car and drive and the power steering does not work. Took the car to the dealership and they are quoting $1500 to fix. Not covered by Ford. Can't believe a not even 4 year old car is having this problem, and sounds like so many others are dealing with the same problem. I feel like I got a lemon. This should definitely be recalled.

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Feb 082014

Escape 4-cyl

I was traveling down the road at approximately 35mph when my power steering completely went out. I had to use extreme force to maneuver my vehicle to the side of the road. I turned it off, waited about 5 minutes, and then turned it back on. The power steering worked for about 1 mile, at which time I lost my power steering. I was unable to complete a turn on a roundabout and almost hit another vehicle because it was so difficult to steer.

- Kimberly, WI, USA

Feb 062014

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the steering wheel failed without warning and became hard to turn. The contact drove very slowly to be able to complete the turn. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer to have diagnostic performed or repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and the current mileage was 86,000...updated 04-22-14

- Ledgewood , NJ, USA

Jan 172014

Escape 4-cyl

Lost power steering - was hard to maneuver vehicle out of roadway. Serious traffic hazard with oncoming traffic. Happens out of the blue and there is no warning that loss of power steering is going to occur. I shut the vehicle off, waited a few minutes, turned the vehicle back on and the problem resolved. However, this has happened prior about 3 months before this incident. Have there been any recalls regarding this issue?

- Orono, ME, USA

Jan 152014

Escape 4-cyl

The electronic power steering randomly stops working. You can turn the ignition off and back on and it works for a while. I took it to a Ford service dept. Said it would cost around $1500 to replace the steering column. After researching online I have found this to be a very frequent problem. There should be a recall before somebody, if not already, is killed.

- Barry, TX, USA

Dec 262013

Escape 4-cyl

I've had 2 instances of loss of steering assist on my 2010 Ford Escape. The first instance was at approximately 45 mph. Steering assist failed. The wheel was very difficult for my husband to turn. He slowed the car down, turned on the hazards, and pulled over. The car was shut off and started again. Power assist worked again at start-up. Our three children and I were also in the car, and I'm surprised we were not rear-ended. The second instance was when I was in line at a drive-through. I couldn't turn the wheel when pulling forward. I shut the car off and restarted. Power assist worked at start-up. I contacted the Ford dealership, who was very aware of the issue and quoted me $1100-1400 repairs. Car was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed the issues as a faulty power assist motor. Replacement was quoted at $1400. I commute 50 miles round trip every day. I am very worried of the steering assist failing on the highway or while my children are in the car again. Failure occurred at 75,000 miles.

- Lee's Summit , MO, USA

Dec 012013

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 70 mph, there was a complete loss of power steering assist. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. Upon restarting, the vehicle resumed with the steering malfunction. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who replaced the electronic gear assembly however the failure persisted. The vehicle was currently being repaired by an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000. Updated 2/26/14 the consumer stated the computer board in the steering column was replaced at a cost of $ 1850

- Colorado Springs , CO, USA

Sep 072013

Escape 6-cyl

1st - vehicle was refueled with 87 octane and just drove one mile down and up a hill were it stopped at a red light. Light turned green and the throttle was applied and vehicle lurched and stalled. 2nd - vehicle was driving around neighborhood going 20 mph and started to sputter and hesitate 3rd - rush hour traffic were it was stopped then throttle applied and lurched and stalled 4th - using cruise control driving 75 mph down parkway, vehicle hesitated and then quickly slowed down to 20 mph and stalled 5th - driving to dealer to figure out hesitation and stall, accelerated from red light and hesitated and stalled 6th - still enroute to dealer, check engine light is now illuminated, and vehicle stalls again only 300 feet from last stall. Engine has rough idle. Police officer suggested throttle body problem because his Ford Expedition recently had the same problem and symptoms. Dealer diagnosed a bad throttle body. Vehicle did not have any check engine light illuminated until the last 6th stall. Every time vehicle experienced problem there was no throttle response and restart in neutral led to re-stalling. Vehicle had to be stopped and re-started after transmission was placed in park. Engine sputtered and was resistant to acceleration after 6th stall but slow smooth acceleration proved effective. All stalls were experienced with light to moderate acceleration.

- Fort Campbell, KY, USA

Jul 192013

Escape 6-cyl

While driving at highway speeds 65 mph, my cars engine suddenly stopped running. This has happened more than once at different speeds. Nearly caused a pile up.

- Jackson , NJ, USA

Jan 102013

Escape 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while attempting to start the vehicle, she was unable to move the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the steering shaft torque sensor needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure but did not offer any assistance since the vehicle was not included on any recalls. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 96,000 and the current mileage was 96,700. Updated 5/7/13

- Maple Grove, MN, USA

Dec 132012

Escape 4-cyl

On the morning of 12/13/12 I was on my way to my daughters daycare & my work going around 70 mph on I-75 South with my 22 month old daughter in her car seat, when my steering wheel locked up on me in my 2010 Ford Escape. I couldn't move the car to get over onto the shoulder. I started to panic! my alignment was a little off I guess, so my tires led me to the left (thank god) & I was able to stop my car on the shoulder by slowing down & letting my car glide over. I had power steering fluid at the time, but yet I wasn't even able to strong arm the steering wheel to get it to move. It was completely locked! the Ford dealership told me I had to have the whole steering system replaced and will cost me $1,200. My (2010) 3 year old car is no longer under it's 36,000 warranty, so of course Ford thinks I should pay for it! how can a steering wheel not be able to move side to side"?" it's a steering wheel! this wasn't caused by any lack of maintenance or vehicle up keep. There should be no reason a 3 year old car should need a whole new steering system! this could have killed my 2 year old daughter & I if the express way started to curve. I was blessed I-75 was going straight at the time! please recall this, so no one else is killed or they are put in harms way. Here is a website with other people who have had problems......

- Grand Blanc, MI, USA

Nov 052012

Escape 6-cyl

Power steering fails for several seconds when turning steering wheel to a hard left or right. Most commonly occurs when parallel parking. The problem started out as a once in a while event and is now becoming more frequent.

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 052012

Upon startup, vehicle extremely difficult to turn, no power steering. Took to local Ford dealership. Hard fault code B1342, epas failure. Repair: Replace entire steering column. If this had happened on the freeway at higher speed, the ability to swerve would have been near impossible, potentially causing a serious accident. Cost of repair, $1400.

- Hanford, CA, USA

Aug 222012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape limited. The contact stated that while the driver was traveling 5 mph the power steering assist failed, causing the steering wheel to spin out of control. The contact was unable to maneuver the vehicle with the steering loss and crashed into a pole. The contact sustained head and arm injuries. The police were not contacted. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic. The manufacturer was not contacted and the vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 27,000.

- South Gate, MI, USA

May 182012

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph in reverse, the steering wheel unexpectedly seized without warning. The steering wheel was maneuvered numerous times and then eventually released. The vehicle was currently being diagnosed by an authorized dealer. The technician stated that the steering column would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- Nashville, NH, USA

Jul 182011

Escape 4WD 6-cyl

2010 Ford Escape limited AWD, build date 10-29-2009. Power steering failed during left turn, nearly causing a sideswipe crash when the steering wheel would not return to straight ahead position. Quick reflexes and braking prevented the crash. Car had been running for about 5 minutes, outside air temperature was 106 degrees. After braking the power steering resumed normal functioning.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Aug 012010

The contact owns a 2010 Ford Escape. The contact stated while driving approximately 55 mph the vehicle began to veer to the left and right. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where they were unable to diagnose the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure continued to recur. Approximately six months later, while driving approximately 55 mph the power steering failed and the contact had a hard time turning the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact where an unknown steering mechanism was replaced. The failure mileage was 1,200 and the current mileage was 10,500.

- Donora, PA, USA