CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice because of engine fires.

In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.

A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.

2013 Ford Escape electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

2013 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Nov 202014

Escape

The vehicle had been turned in to brown daub Ford in nazareth, pa where it was reported to have died twice on the road. They then reported it died on them twice also. They replaced the engine fuel pump as this is the ecoboost there are two pumps (one at fueltank one at engine) and returned the car. It drove for 30 minutes and died again in an intersection where it almost caused a serious accident. The dealership wrote up the complaint as car wants to stall which is not what was said. They were told it died and was dangerous, they returned it with the same mileage as they took it in so it was not test driven. This is a very dangerous problem and will cause a death. The none turbo engine has a recall for wireharness splices not done properly and that is what this sounds like. Please look into this.

- Easton, PA, USA

Nov 202014

Escape

The vehicle will just die when driving, it is off. Very dangerous. There is a recall for the smaller engine with the same symptoms. The dealer has spoken to Ford and they do not know what it is. It died on them twice. They now believe it could be a dropoff in pressure in the fuel system which makes no sense. The cat justs stops running.

- Easton, PA, USA

Oct 202014

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. When approaching a stop, the vehicle jerked forward without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the control module needed to be replaced. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V597000 (air bags, seat belts); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Middletown, DE, USA

Oct 102013

Escape

I heard about the recall on my local news station. I called my local Ford service department and they told me the recall would only be fixed if my air bag light came on. Why to you want to risk injury and lawsuit. Why can't you go ahead and fix?

- Sulphur Springs, TX, USA

Nov 102014

Escape

While slowing down for a stop light on a busy state highway, and without warning vehicle stalled. Loss of electric temporarily. No collision bc vehicle behind me was able to swerve.

- Buffalo , NY, USA

Oct 112014

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the transmission was shifting abnormally in and out of gears and there was a sudden increase in engine rpms. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure. During a second appointment, the technician determined that the computer needed to be reset. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who repaired the throttle body, the motor, the assembly control, the assembly transmission, and the gasket. The remedy failed to repair the failure. In addition, while traveling 45 mph downhill, the vehicle stalled and caused another vehicle to crash into the contact's vehicle. The contact sustained minor injuries and did not seek medical attention. A police report was filed. The contact received a recall notice for NHTSA campaign number: 14V495000 (engine). The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 25,000.

- Beaver Creek, OH, USA

Oct 032014

Escape

Numerous faults with radio and sync system. The radio will come on by itself and will not shut off. This usually occurs when a cell phone is in use and connects or disconnects via bluetooth when the car is started or turned off. The radio will not turn off even after the engine is turned off and the doors are opened, and remain on even if I lock the car. I went inside a store not having left any radio on or anything, came out and he battery was dead. I got a jump start and the radio came on when the car started from being jumped. Evidently sync turned on the radio. This has caused me to be left with a dead battery on two occasions. I am taking it to the dealer on Monday, this is a Saturday evening.

- Cary, NC, USA

Sep 122014

Escape

Engine fault service now message displays on information center. Dealer says to turn off car, open door, close door, count to 10, turn car back on and message is gone. Message repeated 2 days later.

- Three Bridges, NJ, USA

Aug 212014

Escape

TL- the contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. The contact stated that the cruise control failed to engage and disengage intermittently. The contact experienced an electrical short with the radio shorting out as well. The vehicle stalled multiple times and the contact had to make several attempts to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who replaced the wiring harness and the failure recurred. The contact noticed that the vehicle was idling rough, the cruise control was engaged and was stuck multiple times causing the vehicle to accelerate while attempting to disengage the cruise control feature. The vehicle also stalled more than five times and the contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not safe to drive and was parked at the contacts residence. The vehicle was towed by the dealer to the authorized dealer for further inspection, diagnosis and repair. The contact was waiting for a response from the authorized dealer who was checking for approval from the manufacturer to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure several times. The approximate failure mileage was 35,000. Dyd

- Homer City, PA, USA

Aug 242014

Escape

While traveling down a highway at approximately 50 mph, our vehicle suddenly lost power, red lights came on the dashboard, vehicle continued running but gas pedal did not respond. Coasted to a stop along shoulder, turned vehicle off, waited a couple of minutes, restarted without incident. 12 volt plugs remained off. Called Ford dealership today. They say this issue will be covered in another recall from Ford, has to do with the electrical wiring harness which shorts out, however replacement part not available at this time. Had we been on the freeway in seattle as we were earlier in the day, this would have caused a rear end accident for sure. We feel Ford has left us with an undependable vehicle, several recalls already and now this very serious safety issue. We no longer feel we can travel safely in this vehicle even after this next recall is repaired. Quality control is definitely absent, who knows what else will be recalled at this rate.

- Bellingham, WA, USA

Aug 092014

Escape

Vehicle loses power (check engine, service engine, and battery lights illuminated) while driving. Battery has been changed out by the dealership, but the problem continues on a daily basis. Sometimes the vehicle restarts, but the majority of the time, I have to get the vehicle jumped off. I have lost power on the highway as well on busy urban streets. The dealership refuses to acknowledge that there is a serious issue.

- Celina, TX, USA

Jul 022014

Escape

Vehicle towed to Ford on 7/3/14 for fuel leak. Also told Ford that fuel range consumption gauge was not working right. Ford was unable to verify fuel leak concern but did the 13S12 overheating and 14S03 handle recalls. On 7/19/14 low coolant light came on. Called Ford and they said that it was an air pocket in the coolant system and to add distilled water and drive it to Ford. The dealership drained the coolant, added coolant and pressurized to check the system. Explained to Ford that our daughter was taking the car on a 500 mile road trip that afternoon. They reassured us it was fixed and that she would not have an issue, but if she did, simply add distilled water again to resolve. Later on 7/19/14, after driving 150 miles of the trip, the temperature gauge rapidly jumped from normal to hot and the engine overheated. Roadside assist. Towed to the closest Ford dealership. This new dealership said the vehicle had so many problems that they were going to have someone from Ford to come look at it. The new dealership faxed us the list of what was wrong with our vehicle: Leaking water pump, leaking turbo coolant tube, turbo coolant banjo bolt loose, hose clamp on turbo coolant tube not released, coolant stand pipe not bolted, engine harness taped but not secured to engine cover, coolant stand pipe harness not properly secured, battery cable rerouting not performed, foam protection not applied to coolant level module, active grill shutters not removed at all, thermostat housing bolts loose, cv boot ripped, bolts on oil deflector not tight to specs. Ford says they repaired the vehicle but we told them we could not risk our lives any more with this defective vehicle. On 7/29/14 we explained everything to Ford, sent them the list, got a case number and requested that Ford buy back the vehicle. On 8/8/14 Ford denied our request. We are too scared to pick up the vehicle.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Jul 232014

Escape

While driving the engine fault light came on. The car began to lurch when changing gears almost causing an accident. Once car turned off and turned back on the fault cleared and the engine ran smooth. Took the car to the Ford store san leandro (ca). Like the similar complaints on this website they could not find record on the car's computer and could not replicate the problem. Therefore I go away very concerned about my safety and future occurrences of the same event. From this website I see lots of complaints. When will Ford do something to rectify. How many people are going to have to be injured or die to get them working on resolving this issue?

- Alameda, CA, USA

Jul 012014

Escape

Since July 1,2014 my 2013 Ford Escape has stalled 3 additional times for a total of 4 times. Twice in two days. The first two while standing still at a light, the last 2 while slowing down to make a turn, 2nd time 07-08-2014, 3rd 07-20-2014 and 4th today 07-22-2014. The car was taken to blue springs Ford in blue springs mo on Monday 07-14-2014 was informed the part had to be ordered and would be in about 7 to 10 days but wasn't informed what was wrong with my car. Called blue springs Ford today 07-22-2014 was informed the part needed is a O2 senor and is on back order. I'm afraid the car is going to stall while in motion and get rear ended. I was informed by the service manager it wont stall while moving but the 3rd and 4th time it did while slowing down instead of at a full stop like the first and 2nd time. I use I -70 to get back and forth to work including running errands. This is becoming a safety issue and the 2013 Ford Escape needs to be recalled for the replacement of the O2 senor. I'm not too happy not knowing how long its going to be to get the part in to get my car repaired. This is an accident waiting to happen.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

May 312014

Escape

On 5/31/14, upon starting vehicle (2.0 L, sel), vehicle running rough, sputtering, lurching when accelerator was depressed, etc. Message on dash screen stated "engine fault - service now". drove car approximately 8 miles to a Ford dealer I was not familiar with. Turned car off but then decided to move car. Started car, all issues disappeared, so I left and drove car 35 miles to my home with no issues. Drove car until 6/20/14 when exact symptoms happened again. Drove car with symptoms occurring to local Ford dealer. Mechanic suspected cooing system problem, turned off engine without hooking up to computer for diagnosis. Minutes later, mechanic decided problem was not cooling system related since Escape was a 2.0 L (cooling system problems apparently occur with 1.6 L models), but was instead the map sensor which was replaced on 6/26/14. Next day (6/27/14) after map sensor replacement, same exact issues. No time to take to a dealer, so I shut it off and restarted it and all symptoms disappeared. Drove regularly until 7/16/14, when exact symptoms occurred again. Drove directly to local Ford dealer, left it running. They hooked up the diagnostic computer while running which showed error code related to map sensor again. Explained to mechanic that my research has indicated that tsb 13-12-12 might address the problem which is related to wiring in the "signal return splices." He agreed. Made appointment for next day, 7/17/14. Upon starting on 7/17/14, same symptoms. Turned off, restarted, symptoms cleared and I drove it with no issues to my local Ford dealer. Local dealer called and said they looked at the wire splices, made some "adjustments" (no new parts) and that vehicle is ready for pick up. If this occurs again, which I believe it will, I will ask for wire harness replacement to the signal return(s). Dangerous, well-documented problem.

- State College, PA, USA

May 012014

Escape

First occurrence was nearly three months ago. 2013 Ford Escape as repeatedly, with increasing frequency but randomly lost power and with the engine shutting off. Car has lost engine power and with no ability to accelerate while driving speeds up to 40 mph. It has occurred while approaching a stop, sitting at a stop sign, accelerating post stop, turning left, turning right and while navigating around-about and crossing a railroad track. Car will restart once I place it in park. This is an extreme safety concern. I have had several near misses and only because I have learned to respond quickly with my hazard lights. I called don hinds Ford in fishers, in at the second occurrence and they failed to express the same level of concern telling me I would have to wait 4-5 days for an appointment. The frequency has increased, albeit still random and not daily it does occur multiple times a week. I made a service appointment with don hinds waiting again 4 business days on 7-8-2014. I was extremely disappointed as their report was based on their inability to not replicate the problem. The likelihood to replicate a random occurrence in a short test drive was not expected by me and I am disappointed they were foolish to think it would. The history of the last 10 starts and stops on the car's computer didn't report any error code. Don hind's states that Ford has no reports of any incidents and their technical support had no recommendations for the mechanic. The advise of the mechanic was to wait until it was more frequent in occurrence and able to be replicated and then bring it back. I am afraid to drive my car and to Transport my children. This needs urgent attention. This poses a high risk of injury.

- Westfield, IN, USA

Mar 302014

Escape 4-cyl

Vehicle bucked, lurched and went into "limp mode" and would not accelerate over 40 mph on a 70 mph interstate highway (just as I was trying to enter the highway) engine service light came on and I called Ford roadside to have it towed to the dealership. This was actually the second time. This had happened previously but I cannot find the date - that time, I was entering the same interstate and the car did the same thing and I "limped" the car to the dealership (only being able to drive 40 mph on a 60 mph four lane highway.) on 6/3/2014, the car did the same thing as I was attempting to enter interstate 35 (70 mph) - again - bucking, lurching and then going into the "limp mode". very scared to drive this car anywhere as I fear being hit or killed on the highways because of the cars inability to go anywhere near the speed limit. This is very much a safety issue especially for the area that I live in because all the roadways around me are at least 60 mph or higher and Ford has not been able to fix this problem. The car's engine is now idling very rough, too, so there are other issues with this engine.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

May 192014

Escape 4-cyl

I have had 2 incidents where my power steering has gone out. The first was at about 25 mph and the other about 15-20 mph. Both times I got a message across my information screen that said "steering assist fault". it was really hard to steer the vehicle I was able to stop and turn off the vehicle since I wasn't on a busy street either time. When I restarted the vehicle the message went away and power steering was restored as if the computer just needed to restart.

- Dahlonega, GA, USA

May 282014

Escape

My wife was pulling out of the parking lot at work when the vehicle switched to a "low power state" as described by the dealer (spitting, sputtering shaking. Barely running as described by my wife). She had get to the side of the road turn the car off then back on to turn around and pull back into the lot. I went and got the car. It ran ok. And I called Ford and made an appointment to get in. (4 day wait over holiday weekend.) over the weekend it did it once more. This time leaving a service engine light on. By the time we took it to the dealer it had gone back off. They found a faulty wire harness. But since the bumper to bumper warranty is out and it's not covered by power train. It cost us $400 for the repair.

- Henderson, KY, USA

May 132014

Escape 4-cyl

While turning at a speed of approximately 5 mph the car stalled causing the loss of power steering and power brakes. This was the third incident of the car stalling. "williamsburg Ford and preowned" serviced the car today and found no fault codes. Claim that they can not service the car without Ford's authorization via "recall". this vehicle is potentially dangerous once a stall occurs to a driver from side or rear impact. This needs action from the NHTSA and Ford.

- Williamsburg, VA, USA