Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice because of engine fires.

In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.

A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.

2013 Ford Escape miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

2013 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jul 122015

I was traveling down the freeway and suddenly my rear passenger tire blew out. When the tire was changed by aaa, I noticed the inner sidewall of the tire was blown out. All of the years that I have been driving, I have never seen a hole blown out in a tire like I have with this one. I decided to do some research and I've noticed that there are several instances of this happening. I believe there is a serious issue with these tires and I believe some action should be taken against this company; it is worth an inspection anyway. I will be contacting the Continental tire company myself to voice my concern. I've driven many vehicles and I have not had tires fail so soon, especially being mostly highway miles.

- Midland, MI, USA

Jul 052015

My husband set out to change and rotate my tires this afternoon. After verifying the arrows on my car for placement of the jack, and checking with my car manual, he went to work. While he was removing the back passenger tire, after jacking the car, I discerned car movement. I was barely able to warn my husband before the defective Ford Escape jack bent and cracked, causing the vehicle to come down hard on the ground. My husband's hands were almost pinned beneath the car and I am livid. This was extremely frightening to us both! he could have been seriously injured. The Ford Escape 2013 has been no picnic, with the several recalls since 2012, one occurring immediately after we purchased with vehicle from the dealership in 11/17/12. We lost the car for about a month, while they kept it at the dealership, until the parts had arrived that were needed for the repair. This is the final straw. We are going to trade in this potentially disastrous vehicle, before someone in our family does get injured. It has been (seemingly) one recall after another, too. Now, there is a recall for my car regarding the back passenger doors apparently opening while the vehicle is moving and could prove deadly for children, if improperly harnessed. We have 2 children, boy, 9 and girl, 5. that is not another risk I am willing to take either. Thank you for allowing me this opportunity to express this experience. Sincerely, kristine nowak

- Saint Helens, OR, USA

May 252015

When starting, car shows "engine fault, service now" light. Took to dealership three times, has not been resolved. Recently, when braking for a stop light, engine fault reappeared and lost all power to the transmission. Huge safety issue.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 012015

Twice the passenger interior door frames have separated from the door and became caught on items inside the vehicle such as the seat etc. This causes the door to become stuck and unable to open. Both times it took we well over 30 minutes to dislodge the frame and reattach to the frame to be able to open the door. Both times, the vehicle had been just parked and I was trying to retrieve my infant daughter from the back seat. I fear that if I had been in an accident I would not be able to safely retrieve my daughter from the vehicle. If this occurs with no impact, what would happen in case of an impact" would all 4 doors become lodged"

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 032013

When the start button of the vehicle is pressed, the instrument cluster and synch panel of the vehicle will energize but the starter motor will neither turn over nor engage. This problem is intermittent and has neither been reproduced nor correctly diagnosed at a Ford dealer service department. No errors codes have ever been recovered from the vehicle immediately following the malfunction when a Ford mechanic has searched the system. The vehicle has been returned to the dealership multiple times with none of the attempts to correct the problem being successful.

- Hatfield, PA, USA

Dec 012012

Recall nothing is being done.

- San Luis Obispo, CA, USA