2014 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Escape:

2014 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 042016

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Escape. While driving 10 mph, the check engine warning light illuminated and the engine started to hesitate. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14V495000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 32,300.

- Vickery, OH, USA

May 222016

My Escape suffered a catastrophic engine failure while driving. The engine failure while driving on an interstate presents a clear and potential life threatening event as all power was suddenly lost. At the time of engine failure I was traveling at about 35 mph. The vehicle was towed to a local dealership for repairs. The dealership told me that the engine failure was due to the ac compressor locking up creating tension on the drive belts that resulted in sudden loss of power and engine shut down. Had this occurred on a major interstate highway with semi trucks barreling upon you, the results would have been deadly. Fortunately for me the failure occurred 1/2 mile before entering the interstate. I have since learned other owers of Ford products have experienced the same thing. This is a serious design flaw that needs to be fixed in the interest of public safety. I purchased this vehicle new and it currently has less than 13,800 miles on the odometer.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Mar 272016

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Escape. While driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was restarted and towed to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the wiring harness had a bad connection. The vehicle was repaired and the turbo charge boost sensor and air sensor were replaced. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000. The VIN was unavailable. Updated 05/20/16

- Bruceton Mills, WV, USA

Feb 182016

Just purchased a certified pre-owned 2014 Ford Escape SE. A yellow check engine light appear. Trouble code P26B7 (dealer specific). It looks like there have been numerous issues with the bypass coolant solenoid or coolant leaks. Also, steering wheel controls only occasionally work.

- Port Republic, MD, USA

Feb 012016

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Escape. The contact stated the vehicle would stall after idling. The contact had to wait three minutes then the vehicle would start normally. The vehicle was driven to the dealer and they could not duplicate the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 28,000.

- San Anthony, MN, USA

Sep 012015

A few months ago, I had filed a complaint on the 2014 Ford Escape SE 1.6L turbocharged ecoboost with I-4WD my mother currently owns. She had acceleration problems with the car. At a stoplight or whle moving at a decent pace (about 20-40mph), the engine would suddenly rev towards 4000-5000 and not drop into drive. This had concerned me alot. Mom called keller bros. Ford here in lititz, Pennsylvania, and said that she will have to take her car down for a software update. The update fixed everything. No acceleration problems. And since this software update, I've noticed a huge difference. It feels like there is more horses in my mom's car than there was before the update. The update happened 4-6 months ago. I feel much safer knowing that her car won't end her in an accident. She currently has over 16,000 miles, and since that time frame, no "drop-outs" (< as I call them) have happened.

- Leola, PA, USA

Dec 172015

Car stalls. Power to engine stops. Engine fault light comes on. Have to pull over turn engine off and restart. This has happened on hiway at speed of 75 and on road sitting at light.

- Sandia, TX, USA

Nov 072015

I experienced on three occasions that this vehicle misfires, stumbles, shudders and almost shuts off under heavy acceleration while attempting to merge onto a highway.the last time this problem occurred I was forced to pull onto the breakdown lane and almost caused an accident due to highway traffic traveling at 70 mph and my inability to attain a suitable merging speed. I have further observed that this situation has only occurred and could be replicated during rain and high humidity. This problem is a definite safety hazard that needs to be addressed!

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Oct 212015

The contact owns a 2014 Ford Escape. While driving 10 mph, the vehicle lost power due to an electrical failure. The vehicle was taken to a dealer to be repaired where it was diagnosed that the BCM connector was disconnected. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 22,000.

- Crestline, CA, USA

Oct 202015

The car is bucking and almost stalling when I accelerate. I've taken it to two different dealers and they can't find anything. One dealer told me that this was normal, even though I found similar complaints online.

- Stewartsville, NJ, USA

Oct 202015

In March 2015 car kept stalling while driving and while stopped. Brought to dealer who diagnosed as a problem with fuel pump. After a month I got the car back with replaced fuel pump. After the fix, car would often hesitate, sputter and shake like it was about to stall. In September car kept stalling on start up. Brought to dealer who said car was "fine" and operating as designed. They couldn't duplicate problem. Car continues to hesitate, sputter and shake. Again yesterday car stalled out 3 times at start up. Don't feel safe driving it.

- Kearny, NJ, USA

Oct 312013

Uses to much gas, gauges on dash go up and down to much, ex, it says 150 miles til E go 8 miles it says 126. Park it says 163 miles to E, start car back up it says 187 miles til E. it is never the same. Dealer says they replaced gauges but it still doing it. I put 11gallons of gas in it will say 287 miles til E go 60 miles it says 164 miles til E gas gauge goes from full to 1/2 tank which means it took 7 gallons to go 60 miles which means 8.5 miles to a gallon.

- Pittsburgh, PA, USA

May 132015

"engine fault service now light" came on twice with "hill start assist not available" both times. After stopping at traffic light and stepping on gas pedal, car would not move and gave no indication it had stalled. All normal lights were on. I put car in "park" and restarted. This has happened twice on hills and has died on me four times.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 042015

I was driving on the highway when the "engine fault service now" warning light came on. My car then lost power and went into a "limp home" mode. Once I safely arrived at my destination I turned off the vehicle. Once it was turned back on, it was fine. I took this into the dealership. They repaired a recall and ordered parts. It took a few days for the parts to get in. During that time every time I drove on the highway the car started making a knocking noise and then the light would come back on and the vehicle would go back into that limp home mode. I was almost rear ended by semis and other vehicles at fast rates of speed due to this issue. I took the vehicle back in for them to install the ordered parts. When I got my car back the issue continued, and now my car is in the shop for the 4th time. They are working with Ford engineers and they are not having luck finding the issue. I have read of other individuals having this same issue. Is it going to take a fatality before something is done? I have an 8 month old baby, and I bought a new car for safety and security - I do not have either at this time.

- Nashport, OH, USA

May 092015

Most recent and troubling incident was travelling downhill around 30 mph, not pressing gas pedal, and engine rpms rose to over 4000 and stayed with the engine making a distinct noise that even a 12 year old noticed was not right. After applying brake and reaching bottom of hill, the rpms eventually reduced. So far this extreme case was a one time occurence, but seems related to other behavior. During regular in-town travelling the engine just does not seem to change gears correctly or smoothly. Rpms will remain between 2000-3000 regardless if you are going 10 mph or 55 mph, but problem is not consistent. Multiple times when pulling out into traffic and also going into reverse, the car almost stalls and does not accelerate as quickly as it should given the pressure on the gas pedal. It seems as if all of these types of issues are related to the same core problem with the engine/transmission and I see other complaints here similiar to this. I've had the car for 8 months and it seems to be more frequent as time passes. These issues are much more noticable with daily driving, but my husband has noticed during the few times he drives the car. He says it is just a "clunky" driving car, but car feels very unreliable when driven on a daily basis especially for the price.

- Ooltewah, TN, USA

Apr 262015

Escape 4WD 4-cyl

While pulling out of a parking lot, the A/C was turned on. There was a grinding noise, smoke starting coming up from the hood and out the wheel well, and the engine stalled out, leaving the car in half way out in traffic. Each time the engine was restarted, it stalled out again right away. Finally the vehicle was pushed out of the road and into an adjacent parking lot for towing. The dealership says the compressor blew and sent metal shrapnel throughout the hood, penetrating rubber hoses and belts, and causing the car to stop running.

- San Carlos, CA, USA

Apr 222015

I have issued a complaint about three and a half months ago. Again, my mother is still having acceleration problems with her car. On April 22nd, she stated that she was going up a hill, and the car suddenly started revving to 4000-5000rpm. At one point, she said she lightly went on the gas to see if the fuel would kick in and it revved up 500 RPM past the redline, and still no acceleration. One day, my mom is going to end up being rear-ended when this happens and I would not like that to happen. Ford absolutely needs to do something about this. I've scrolled through all complaints of this model year and I've seen that at least 50 people are experiencing these problems. Ford must fix this (that means issue recalls!!!)!!!!!

- Leola, PA, USA

Feb 082015

Escape 4-cyl

Once again vehicle would not start after being parked for over an hour. Tried several times to start. All dash lights and headlights, radio, windows, etc. Would function, but no indication of ignition when key was turned. Tried both keys to make sure it was not a bad key. Neither key worked. Left car where parked overnight and returned in the morning. Car started. Called dealer and it was suggested that I drive the car in, rather than have it towed in. I did. I left the car at the dealer and was informed later that day that they had been able to verify my compliant. They indicated that it was a build up of resistance in a wire then the engine was hot. It was wrapped and I was assured the I would no longer have the problem. I did some research and found that some 2013-14 Ford Escapes have been recalled for insufficient compression of casing around the wiring, causing exactly the problems I have been having. All the potential problems listed in the recall, short of a possible crash have been experienced to date! my vehicle was manufactured at one of the affected assembly plants during the affected dates. However, the recall indicates 2.0 liter engines. Mine is a 1.6 liter engine. Therefore, dealer said they could not do anything for me and assured me the problem had been solved. I requested that the wiring harness be replaced because I felt unsafe in my vehicle and was afraid that it would stop suddenly and I could crash. I was told that repair was not possible, because my specific VIN was not recalled. I was assured that I should have no further problems. I accepted the return of my vehicle, with the assurance that if it happened again, we would escalate my request for replacement of the wiring harness. The dealer had my car for over a week.

Feb 022015

Vehicle would not start after being parked for approximately one hour. Tried several times to start, headlights and dash lights would illuminate, but there was no indication of any power going to engine to start. No clicking (as with a dead battery - all lights were functioning properly). Waited 10 minutes and it started. Turned it off briefly to go inside to tell shop owner that car had started. Came back out, it would not start again. Tried several times to restart and it would not. Left car where parked and called a tow truck to take car to dealer in the morning. Dealer was unable to recreate the problem and was able to get the car to start each time. I was told that there was nothing they could do and to pick up my car. Which I did.

Jan 262015

Escape 4-cyl

Backed out of driveway, put car in gear and "engine malfunction" warning box came up on dashboard. Put car in neutral and back into drive. Warning box disappeared, but exclamation point in triangle was on dashboard. Depressed gas pedal and car moved forward very slowly with hesitation and jerking power surges. Drove approximately 2-3 blocks as hesitation, jerking and lack of power continued. Went back home and called tow truck to take car to dealer. Tachometer was erratic and bouncing around, when car idled. Car started fine several times, but would not accelerate or run normally. Dealer verified complaint, and repaired affecting wiring.