1. tap out the hole and insert heli coil (15 reports)
  3. run thread chaser and intall spark plug with lock tight (4 reports)
  4. clean and replace coil and spark plug (2 reports)
  5. replaced spark plugs (1 reports)
2000 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Ford Expedition:

2000 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

May 282009

Expedition 5.4L

What can I say.... I read about this problem before to change my sparkplug for the 100 000 miles. I had my spark plugs changed at the dealer because of this common problem... I received a warranty: 1 year and 12000 miles. Guess what? 1 year and 27 days and the spark plug blew out, and of course no warranty....

- , Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 122009

Expedition Eddie Bauer

Like the other posts I was driving on the highway and boom, I thought I had a flat. I have talked with several mechanics and they have told me the horror stories with the Triton engine. My "go to" mechanic shop said they cant do this job. They do everything! They called Ford and got a phone quote of $3000. Another mechanic had a quote range of $3500 from Ford. Hard to imagine that his vehicle is just a throw away! Any suggestions?

- , Rochester Hills, MI, USA

Feb 072009

Expedition XLT 5.6L V8 Triton

After googling this problem, it seems I'm not the only one. The spark plug blow out is on the passenger side 3rd one back. A real pain to get to.

- , Petersburg, TN, USA

Mar 222009

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

My expedition has blown the same spark plug out twice; it's #3 on the right side. One dealer quoted me a min $510 a second quoted $250...WTF? Ford has about pissed me off. With this many complaints you would think they would take care of it!

- , Kingsport, TN, USA

Mar 022009

Expedition 4.6L

click to see larger images

spark plug blow out spark plug blow out

What's left to say that hasn't been said. I am sure most people haven't taken the time to add a complaint, so lets add a few zero's to the total number of blow-outs. Who messes threads up anyway. The technology is a hundred years old. As for it's future, I am unsure. The auto shop wanted $2300 to re-thread da heads. Without much thought I had it towed home. I took the intake off so I can get a clean shot at it. After I summit this complaint, I am ordering a Heli-Coil kit. Good grief.

- , Salem, OR, USA

Dec 122008

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

I was driving on the interstate passing a semi when a loud bang came from the engine compartment. Lost power immediately, got in the slow lane, and limped to the garage. The rear left sparkplug blew out broke the coil. It is being fixed on Mon. If there is a fix.

- , Berea, KY, USA

May 222008

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

Not fun if this happens. You'll not it too. Huge pop then your engine sounds like a steam engine. Took it in and was also told that this is a common problem with the Ford 5.4L V8. They had to buy the Coil Kit from Ford and did a coil over coil replacement and replaced the coil which was shot. It was the #3 spark plug that blew out. I just hope this does not happen to the other 7 plugs. I also had them replace all plugs, which I was planning on doing anyways.

- , Dublin, CA, USA

Jun 072007

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

driving heard a loud noise stopped found #3 plug blown out, bought repair kit from autozone, made a bushing to guide the drill/tap and using a ratchet slowly retapped the block, turned over the engine to blow out whatever chips may have fallen in the cylinder and installed the new spark plug and so far good.

- , Ronkonkoma, NY, USA

Sep 282007

Expedition XLT 5.6L TRITON

If you have ever had a spark plug blow out on you, you know the feeling. It sounds like a gun shot under your hood. The shop I use for repairs told me this was an issue on these models. The problem was between the metal spark plug and the aluminum block. They had to retap my block to put in the new plug.

- , Mt. Juliet, TN, USA

Apr 142007

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

The failure was of 2 separate spark plugs being blown from the cylinder head (both on the drivers side) a total of 3 times. The consequences was having the vehicle towed to a repair shop. The most recent repair was a recurrance of the same blown plug which happened in 2005.

To correct the issues, the spark plugs were replaced and reinserted with repair kits to hopefully prevent future blowouts. Additional consequences are that I no longer trust Ford or my vehicles reliability.

In researching this issue online, this is not a rare occurence and there have been vehicle fires where the spark plug has ruptured the fuel rail which sits directly above the spark plug holes. has this report:

Do we need to wait until some actually dies before action will be taken to have Ford do the right thing and repair this obvious defect?

- , Altadena, CA, USA