8.9

2. replace spark plug/coil (11 reports)
  3. replace the head due to spark plug blow out (5 reports)
  4. insert helicoil (4 reports)
  5. pull head up, drop threaded insert in (2 reports)
2001 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Expedition:

2001 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 152011

Expedition XLT 5.4L

Blew out a plug on the way home from work. luckily within limping distance to a mechanic. I was doing about 45 and not horsing it at all when it popped. I love my expedition and will replace both the engine and tranny twice over before getting rid of it. I've had it for 4 years now and this and an alternator issue was all I've had to deal with - very reliable indeed!

- , Rapid City, SD, USA

Jul 102010

Expedition XLT 4.6L

Ford needs to recall and fix. They have not. This is the reason they will fail or be taken over by foreign companies! The plug broke, came out, piece fell into chamber, damaged valve.

- , Apple Valley, CA, USA

Dec 122011

Expedition XLT 4.6L Triton V8

My husband had to use our 2001 Ford Expedition to get to work yesterday (this is our only vehicle so my husband usually rides with someone else due to the fact we have 5 children that I have to get around). He works a good 30 miles away from home in the middle of nowhere. On his way home (only about 5 miles away from his job) the #3 plug blew out. The vehicle was sputtering, shaking, wanting to stall out, and the motor was REALLY loud. He called a friend to pick him up and find a parts store to replace the spark plug. They drove around for nearly an hour to find one because as I said before, he works out in the middle of nowhere. After finding a store, spending money for tools and plug and returning to the vehicle, they discover they can't fix it because the hole that the plug came from is completely stripped! He had to leave it out in the middle of nowhere and pay for a tow truck to go get it. Given the distance it was from home, the amount it is gonna cost to fix, there is no money for my kids' Christmas. You ask what level of inconvenience this was??? WHAT DO YOU THINK!!???? I say this "defect" has temporarily ruined my life! When I found out that this is a common defect on Fords and yet Ford is doing NOTHING about it I have decided we will be getting rid of this vehicle soon and will NOT buy Ford again.

- , Holden, LA, USA

Sep 082011

Expedition 5.4L V8

Of course I just paid the vehicle off, This is totally unacceptable that Ford would not have a recall over these plugs, you almost have to remove the entire engine to get the blown plug out, $3,500 wow, I can't afford to pay for that right now so thanks for the new lawn ornament.

- , Port Orchard, WA, USA

Nov 232011

Expedition XLT 5.4L

While driving home from picking my son up from surgery two and a half hours away from home at 7:45 p.m. Thanksgiving eve my #2 spark plug blew out of my engine leaving me stranded with two kids on the side of the freeway with no help and a $1000 dollar tow bill home to find that ford wont fix my car since it's not covered and told to get a helicoil and have it fixed but theirs a chance it can blow another one or again no guarantee very upsetting since I live paycheck to paycheck I really can't afford this considering I hear that the thread on the block is insufficient to hold the spark plugs so why would ford do this to hard working Americans who try to keep or buying to the US well I hope they are made to recall and fix the problem and regain our trust in Ford again. if not I will be buying a different brand and turn my friends and family away from Ford and hope they will make good on this defect.

- , Vista, CA, USA

Sep 092011

Expedition 4.6L V8

not the first time, this is third for us in last year, considering my husband only drives 4 miles a day back and forth to work and seems like ford should have come up with a solution in last 10 years,

- , Afton, MI, USA

Mar 212007

Expedition 4.6L

blown spark plugs, coils replaced every 3 months.costing me a lot on money time and gas..every time i have it fixed, it does it again.. i called Ford Co. to complain

about my continued problem, they want all your information, but they don't do anything to help. my truck in misfiring constantly...i like my truck{paid for} don't want to start over with a new vehicle. i wish they would look into this issue and try to assist in solving the problem. i know a few other ford owners who have had the same problem....this has to be a factory defect...MAN UP FORD COMPANY AND FIX THIS PROBLEM......

- , Tutwiler, Miss, USA

Nov 242010

Expedition 4.6L

LISTEN I LOVE FORD ALL IM SAYING IS IF SO MANY PEOPLE R HAVING THIS ISSUE (AND I SAY THIS BECAUSE WHEN I HAD MY CAR TOWED TO THE MECH HE HAD NO LESS THAN (6) PREVIOUS FORD OWNERS WITH THE SAME EXACT S ISSUE FUNNY HOW HE TOLD ME MY ISSUE BEFORE I COULD EVEN SPEAK THATS HOW FAMILIAR THIS MECH WAS WITH THIS ISSUE) FORD SHOULD JUS FESS UP TO THE DESIGN FLAW AND RECTIFY THIS PROBLEM.

- , Brooklyn, NY, USA

Feb 022011

Expedition

I will never buy another ford i will ride a bike seeing how my ford always leaves me walking moisture in the plugs blowing 38 coil packs in two years and no recall or redesign what bs maybe Obama can give ford a stimulus designed to get all of our vehicles running for more than 30 days at a time F!!!U!!!! FORD

- , Bensenville, IL, USA

Dec 062010

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Just before thanksgiving I blew a spark plug in my expedition, and now only two weeks later I blew another one. I will never buy another expedition again, I may never buy a another ford again.

- , Chehalis, WA, USA

Nov 212010

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Just very inconvenient considering the time of the year with christmas just around the corner and all. I would think that if this was such a common problem that Ford would have done a recall. I guess not everyone has to own up to their mistakes.

Update from Dec 6, 2010: Oh, I was lucky this time, the spark plug didn't cause any damage to the threads so it cost me $160.

- , Chehalis, WA, USA

Apr 072010

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4 ltr

Actually 7 out of 8 spark plugs have blown out of this engine, this is only one complaint. The heads on both sides have been replaced now at a total cost $1200.00, and the cost is going up with every repair..

- , Marion, OH, USA

Oct 222010

Expedition

2nd time the spark plug has blown out on this engine. The first time I had it repaired for a minimal cost and now today it happens again with a different spark plug! I know it will be a huge repair bill this time around because the head may have to be pulled to fix this problem. WTF? Checking for people who have had similar problems on line and as iturns out, this is a FORD problem that they are not admitting to...

WELL, no more Fords in my lifetime (after a lifetime of owning only Ford's)

- , Somonauk, IL, USA

Aug 232010

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

7/21/2010 I had a tail light replaced and as I was leaving the dealership I was approximately 1 mile down the road and my engine started mis-firing. I took it back to the dealer and was told the coil on cylinder 4 was failing. I had the coil and all 8 spark plugs replaced at 122288 miles. ($648)

On 8/23/2010 123800 miles I had the spark plug blow out of the engine on cylinder 5. It was a known Ford problem and has not been recalled by Ford, even the service people acknowledge the problem. ($550 after hard negotiation)

On 8/24/2010 I have a ticking sound coming from the drivers side of the engine. The service people say this is probably a collapsed lifter but can't say for sure until they remove the valve cover which is another $230 just to remove the valve cover to look at the inside. It may need a new engine.... est. $6500

I think it's another spark plug getting ready to blow out the side of my motor.

- , Fair Oaks, CA, USA

Aug 192010

Expedition 5.4L

we where coming to stop when we heard this like flapping sound we thought we had a flat at first then open the hood n found spark plug had popped out.was on family trip with my 5 kids when this happened about 5 hours away from home when this occur had to have vehicle towed to hotel n then towed back home. very stressing.

- , Carson, CA, USA

Aug 082010

Expedition 5.7L V8

I was driving my family back from Yellowstone, at the same time an escaped murderer was hitchhiking from Yellowstone when our Expedition blew a spark plug. I hate to think what would have happened if we had chosen his route, instead we traveled a more scenic route. At least we were safe while waiting 2 hours for a tow truck.

- , Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Feb 102010

Expedition EB 5.4L

Same as everyone else's story, except we've blown 4 plugs in less than 3 months. I guess when one decides to go they all go. My suggestion, replace all plugs and coils at 100k. Good luck!!

- , Helena, MT, USA