8.9

2. replace spark plug/coil (10 reports)
  3. replace the head due to spark plug blow out (5 reports)
  4. insert helicoil (1 reports)
  5. pull head up, drop threaded insert in (1 reports)
2001 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Expedition:

2001 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 042014

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Bought this Expedition used a week before Christmas. in the 5 weeks we have owned it, we have replaced 4 ignition coils. like one a week .If Ford knows about this issue, why is nothing being done about it?

While I am aware that we bought this vehicle with 190k miles on it and we were expecting some repairs from time to time. Just didn't expect them all at once! What a pain!

- , Aiken, SC, USA

Nov 162013

Expedition

I was not aware of the issues of ford personally but I was told. Yes my husband and I purchased a used Ford not even 2 wks and still have to make payments. We drove it for a week and now its sitting in the driveway because the threads have been stripped before by a blown spark plug. We found this out after the spark plug blew and it was sitting inside a extension which allowed it to stay in place. Even though this has happened and I'm a little upset I still believe that God will work it all out for us not matter what Ford does!!!!!

- , Riverdale, GA, USA

Apr 032011

Expedition XLT 5.4L

I bought my expedition 2 yrs ago, used- I absolutely LOVE my truck, however the love is not returned, A year ago we were planning to move from Tx to Wa, we did what we were suppose to do (took it in the the shop, had brakes done, got a tune up, etc.)

Sooo, the time comes and we get our U-Haul trailer and load it up, morning comes we hook'r up and go on our way- all was great untill Az when BLAM, my truck looses power and the Check engine light comes on, I was able to limp it another 100 miles to some family and took it to a shop where I was told it not only fouled a plug but broke off a piece and is somewhere in the engine----- they wanted $3500 to look inside and find it, I reclined- flat bedded it up to Wa.

I drove it, she still had get up and go when needed but I couldn't get it over 65 without the check engine lite flashing for the last yr and just recently changed the plugs-- and OMG, what a difference--- And then not a week later, on the freeway, my truck loses the power again and is now running like doodoo-- I was told maybe the gas mixture was too rich, that my coil packs need replaced, that its the oil, ect.

I'm so frustrated at what "COULD BE" the problem? I cannot afford to replace my truck or have anything major done to it. It would be nice if (as stated in other post) FORD would do something about it, Perhaps we should all get together and protest their bad decision in SCREWING over hard working people

- , Lacey, WA, USA

Jun 032013

Expedition Eddie Baur

I bought this vehicle used with 35,000 miles on it and for about a year it ran great with no problems. A year into owning it I hear the loud pop that's all too familiar now but at the time I thought it was a blown motor. Since then I've heard the pop a total of 5 times to the tune of 275.00 per pop. Well this last pop was the mother of all pops and ended with the mechanic saying the plug had blown the head to the point he couldn't re thread it. The really bad thing is I've kept this vehicle immaculate inside and out. Other than a small rip on the drivers seat (which most expeditions appear to experience as well) this truck is clean as the board of heath. Now I'm hearing at least 3000.00 to have it repaired. This aluminum head is a piece of crap and Ford should be sued. I'm so pissed right now because I hate to scrap the truck but....This is Bull !

- , Jackson, TN, USA

Dec 152012

Expedition XLT 5.4L V8

Plug blew when future son in law was picking up sneakers that he sells for a business. Approximately 100 miles away. Had to call AAA for tow. Had it towed to local Ford dealer (Chapman Ford) where their diagnosis was a blown engine that needed to be replaced at cost of $7200. Asked if they could install helicoil and was told no the piston is broken. Had truck towed to my regular garage where helicoil was installed at a cost of about $210. Went back and told the dealership the story and asked why they told me piston was broken was told problem with engine could show up any where in next 5,000 miles. I had them listen to how good the engine was running they just tried to ignore me. I've put over 2,000 miles on the vehicle since this incident still running well. I don't know if Ford is aware of that fact not only are these engines defective but their dealers are trying to make big money on someones misfortune. I managed to complain enough for the dealer to begrudgedly refund my diagnostic charge but that was all.I'm not satisfied with this experience at all.

- , Mountville, PA, USA

Jul 012012

Expedition XLT 5.4L

Thought I had blown a head gasket. The truck would not speed up, but the engine roared. Bought a code checker and found the 2 spark plugs which were blown. Pep Boys tried to tell me it was 2 of the other spark plugs, then eventually came around to my diagnoses, so then, I told them to change all of them.

- , Howell, NJ, USA

Jan 012013

Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8

Only about the 5th or 6th time this has happened since I've owned the truck (less than 100,000 miles, 10 years.

The fix doesn't last more than a couple of months now before it recurs. The first time I took it in under warranty. The tech told me which cylinder malfunctioned before the truck was pulled into the bay. You'd think they'd repaired a lot of them. After that, the repairs have been on me. I saw a fix on Motorweek that apparently requires that you buy a special tool, coat the spark plug with some kind of silver goop so that it doesn't break, etc. Unfortunately, the truck is so old, I know Ford won't recall it. What's worse, I also have a 1997 Ford F250 Diesel with 205K miles on it that I swear by. I'll drive the F250 into the ground. The 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel is bullet proof. Wish I could say the same for my Expedition. When it's right, there is no better truck, even with the gas mileage. But this is ridiculous.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 172012

Expedition XLT 5.4L

This is the 2nd time this has happened . Spark plug blows out because they strip out taking out coil pack . This time i couldn't fix myself. I spent 5 hrs trying. Took to Rusty Eck Ford They made the repairs 300.00. I asked if any recalls they said no. Auto zone said this happens to a lot of Expeditions.This is a defect.

- , Park City, KS, USA

Jul 062012

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L Triton V8

Heading home from the 4th of July the #8 spark plug blew out of the head. We had no idea what it was and ended up limping home. Only good news is our decision between a Ford Expedition, Ford, or GMC Acadia was made very simple. As a former GM Powertrain engineer there is no way I can justify purchasing a vehicle from any company that cannot stand by their product and issue a recall for a bad design. The only option is to vote with my wallet. Too bad for Ford. They earned my business from GM and now lost it again.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 112012

Expedition 4.6L V8

me and my husband own a business and while on the road for work my spark plug just blew out after checking with our mechanic and the internet this seems to be a major problem with fords. i have two ford suvs and have always been a loyal for customer. i can,t believe ford is not doing something. I will be selling this car real soon and i won,t be buying another for

- , Cuero, TX, Heard & McDonald Islands

Apr 012012

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

Replaced the #3 plug 3 times now and I am tired of it, it is now getting water in the plug probably from the head gasaket.

I have to agree with all of the forums that this should not be a repetitive issue and that Ford needs to recall the engine.

- , Howard, Ohio, USA

Jun 152011

Expedition XLT 5.4L

Blew out a plug on the way home from work. luckily within limping distance to a mechanic. I was doing about 45 and not horsing it at all when it popped. I love my expedition and will replace both the engine and tranny twice over before getting rid of it. I've had it for 4 years now and this and an alternator issue was all I've had to deal with - very reliable indeed!

- , Rapid City, SD, USA

Jul 102010

Expedition XLT 4.6L

Ford needs to recall and fix. They have not. This is the reason they will fail or be taken over by foreign companies! The plug broke, came out, piece fell into chamber, damaged valve.

- , Apple Valley, CA, USA

Dec 122011

Expedition XLT 4.6L Triton V8

My husband had to use our 2001 Ford Expedition to get to work yesterday (this is our only vehicle so my husband usually rides with someone else due to the fact we have 5 children that I have to get around). He works a good 30 miles away from home in the middle of nowhere. On his way home (only about 5 miles away from his job) the #3 plug blew out. The vehicle was sputtering, shaking, wanting to stall out, and the motor was REALLY loud. He called a friend to pick him up and find a parts store to replace the spark plug. They drove around for nearly an hour to find one because as I said before, he works out in the middle of nowhere. After finding a store, spending money for tools and plug and returning to the vehicle, they discover they can't fix it because the hole that the plug came from is completely stripped! He had to leave it out in the middle of nowhere and pay for a tow truck to go get it. Given the distance it was from home, the amount it is gonna cost to fix, there is no money for my kids' Christmas. You ask what level of inconvenience this was??? WHAT DO YOU THINK!!???? I say this "defect" has temporarily ruined my life! When I found out that this is a common defect on Fords and yet Ford is doing NOTHING about it I have decided we will be getting rid of this vehicle soon and will NOT buy Ford again.

- , Holden, Louisiana, USA

Sep 082011

Expedition 5.4L V8

Of course I just paid the vehicle off, This is totally unacceptable that Ford would not have a recall over these plugs, you almost have to remove the entire engine to get the blown plug out, $3,500 wow, I can't afford to pay for that right now so thanks for the new lawn ornament.

- , Port Orchard, WA, USA

Nov 232011

Expedition XLT 5.4L

While driving home from picking my son up from surgery two and a half hours away from home at 7:45 p.m. Thanksgiving eve my #2 spark plug blew out of my engine leaving me stranded with two kids on the side of the freeway with no help and a $1000 dollar tow bill home to find that ford wont fix my car since it's not covered and told to get a helicoil and have it fixed but theirs a chance it can blow another one or again no guarantee very upsetting since I live paycheck to paycheck I really can't afford this considering I hear that the thread on the block is insufficient to hold the spark plugs so why would ford do this to hard working Americans who try to keep or buying to the US well I hope they are made to recall and fix the problem and regain our trust in Ford again. if not I will be buying a different brand and turn my friends and family away from Ford and hope they will make good on this defect.

- , Vista, CA, USA

Sep 092011

Expedition 4.6L V8

not the first time, this is third for us in last year, considering my husband only drives 4 miles a day back and forth to work and seems like ford should have come up with a solution in last 10 years,

- , Afton, MI, USA

Mar 212007

Expedition 4.6L

blown spark plugs, coils replaced every 3 months.costing me a lot on money time and gas..every time i have it fixed, it does it again.. i called Ford Co. to complain

about my continued problem, they want all your information, but they don't do anything to help. my truck in misfiring constantly...i like my truck{paid for} don't want to start over with a new vehicle. i wish they would look into this issue and try to assist in solving the problem. i know a few other ford owners who have had the same problem....this has to be a factory defect...MAN UP FORD COMPANY AND FIX THIS PROBLEM......

- , Tutwiler, Miss, USA

Nov 242010

Expedition 4.6L

LISTEN I LOVE FORD ALL IM SAYING IS IF SO MANY PEOPLE R HAVING THIS ISSUE (AND I SAY THIS BECAUSE WHEN I HAD MY CAR TOWED TO THE MECH HE HAD NO LESS THAN (6) PREVIOUS FORD OWNERS WITH THE SAME EXACT S ISSUE FUNNY HOW HE TOLD ME MY ISSUE BEFORE I COULD EVEN SPEAK THATS HOW FAMILIAR THIS MECH WAS WITH THIS ISSUE) FORD SHOULD JUS FESS UP TO THE DESIGN FLAW AND RECTIFY THIS PROBLEM.

- , Brooklyn, New York, USA

Feb 022011

Expedition

I will never buy another ford i will ride a bike seeing how my ford always leaves me walking moisture in the plugs blowing 38 coil packs in two years and no recall or redesign what bs maybe Obama can give ford a stimulus designed to get all of our vehicles running for more than 30 days at a time F!!!U!!!! FORD

- , Bensenville, IL, USA