8.9

2. replace spark plug/coil (11 reports)
  3. replace the head due to spark plug blow out (5 reports)
  4. insert helicoil (2 reports)
  5. pull head up, drop threaded insert in (2 reports)
2001 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Expedition:

2001 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Dec 152015

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

DRIVING HOME AND THE VEHICLE STARTED TO ACT UP. THOUGHT IT HAD SUCKED A VALVE. FOUND THE PASSENGER SIDE REAR PLUG BLOWN OUT OF THE CYLINDER.

- , Kettle Falls, WA, USA

May 082015

Expedition 5.4L

HERE WE GO AGAIN . THIRD TIME I HAVE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM ,SINCE I'VE OWNED THE VEHICLE. Was driving in town, back from grocery store with my children in the vehicle . I heard a very loud POP . The vehicle lost all power. THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT DIDN'T COME ON THIS TIME. We almost got hit in the rear end. This is a serious issue and getting worst each time. After a few minutes the vehicle finally crank, it sounded horrible. I let it roll on its own to the bottom of the hill to the gas station. . We got it out of the way and I got someone to tow it home. I had to pay to get it fixed again, coil, plug and labor.. Caused me to miss a couple days of work, again. THIS IS AN ISSUE THAT FORD IS AWARE OF AND IT REALLY DOES NEED TO BE ADDRESSED AND FIXED BY FORD SOON. I sure hope this issue is fixed before someone get hurts or dies due to the lost of power or the vehicle shutting off completely due to this issue . This vehicle is sold to be a family vehicle, so FORD SHOULD TAKE THIS INTO CONSIDERATION AND FIX BEFORE SOMETHING HAPPENS TO A FAMILY, WHO IS PART OF THE FORD FAMILY PER THEIR SALES PITCH. PLEASE CONSIDER WHO YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE AND THAT THEY REALLY DESERVE TO BE TREATED LIKE ONE OF THE FAMILY ,AFTER ALL THEY CHOOSE YOUR VEHICLE TO TRANSPORT THEIR FAMILY SAFELY.

Jun 012014

Expedition 5.4L

Was driving on a mountain road , twisting and turning. The check engine light came on and I heard a pop. Was scared to death, didn't know if I would loose all power , brakes etc. Was a very scary situation. I had to get someone to tow me from Jasper, Ga. to Cleveland, Ga. Was taken to FORD dealership the next day. Where it had coil and all plugs replaced, however the dealership said since another plug had popped out before , I should start looking for another vehicle, and of coarse they would be happy to sell me one. I just look at the man like really. It's a problem that FORD knows about and this is your only suggestion. Ended up costing me towing, parts& labor and time off work again. THIS IS THE SECOND TIME SINCE I HAD THE VEHICLE IT HAS POPPED A PLUG OUT.

May 102015

Expedition 5.4L

This was the first issue I had with the vehicle. Was bought used on 06/11/2012. Was driving and heard a pop sound , was on interstate with my children in the vehicle. It was scary, wasn't sure if it would catch on fire. Kids were very upset and here we were broke down on interstate, had to get it towed home. It cost me the tow, parts and labor, and time off work.

Jul 012015

Expedition 4.6L V8

This is the second time a spark plug has blown out of the head. The first time was about a year ago and then again yesterday. Both times we were scheduled to leave town the next day for a vacation. Both times our vacation has been cancelled because of this issue. I know one thing for sure is that I will never buy another Ford.

- , Imperial, CA, USA

Nov 142014

Expedition LX 4.6lV8

Spark plug blow out, happens while driving. The driver is handicapped and it is a real problem when something like this happens, especially when it is serviced regular, and if it even sounds funny it is being checked but did not expect this.

- , newmatamoras, OH, Bulgaria

Jun 222012

Expedition XLT 5.4L V8

This has become a serious issue. Granted we bought the Expedition used 3 years ago, but having the plugs blow out 4 times (4 different plugs) and now having to get into the head to fix the first one that the shop replaced with a helix-coil....the helix-coil actually SHATTERED! sending bits of it into our engine. The shop wanted 2300.00 to fix it this time. Seriously? With all of the miles on it now it is just barely the appraisal value of the truck's worth. We have seen many reports of this happening to our type of engine. When you have an aluminum head and only 3 threads per spark plug...it just doesn't work. Thankfully we have never caught fire due to the issue and have been lucky enough to get it to a shop. But at the same time we have had to borrow money or use money that needed to go to other bills to pay for it. Ford needs to fix this! When you pay more for repairs then the actual value of the vehicle....there is something seriously wrong!

- , Springfield, OR, USA

Feb 042014

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Bought this Expedition used a week before Christmas. in the 5 weeks we have owned it, we have replaced 4 ignition coils. like one a week .If Ford knows about this issue, why is nothing being done about it?

While I am aware that we bought this vehicle with 190k miles on it and we were expecting some repairs from time to time. Just didn't expect them all at once! What a pain!

- , Aiken, SC, USA

Nov 162013

Expedition

I was not aware of the issues of ford personally but I was told. Yes my husband and I purchased a used Ford not even 2 wks and still have to make payments. We drove it for a week and now its sitting in the driveway because the threads have been stripped before by a blown spark plug. We found this out after the spark plug blew and it was sitting inside a extension which allowed it to stay in place. Even though this has happened and I'm a little upset I still believe that God will work it all out for us not matter what Ford does!!!!!

- , Riverdale, GA, USA

Apr 032011

Expedition XLT 5.4L

I bought my expedition 2 yrs ago, used- I absolutely LOVE my truck, however the love is not returned, A year ago we were planning to move from Tx to Wa, we did what we were suppose to do (took it in the the shop, had brakes done, got a tune up, etc.)

Sooo, the time comes and we get our U-Haul trailer and load it up, morning comes we hook'r up and go on our way- all was great untill Az when BLAM, my truck looses power and the Check engine light comes on, I was able to limp it another 100 miles to some family and took it to a shop where I was told it not only fouled a plug but broke off a piece and is somewhere in the engine----- they wanted $3500 to look inside and find it, I reclined- flat bedded it up to Wa.

I drove it, she still had get up and go when needed but I couldn't get it over 65 without the check engine lite flashing for the last yr and just recently changed the plugs-- and OMG, what a difference--- And then not a week later, on the freeway, my truck loses the power again and is now running like doodoo-- I was told maybe the gas mixture was too rich, that my coil packs need replaced, that its the oil, ect.

I'm so frustrated at what "COULD BE" the problem? I cannot afford to replace my truck or have anything major done to it. It would be nice if (as stated in other post) FORD would do something about it, Perhaps we should all get together and protest their bad decision in SCREWING over hard working people

- , Lacey, WA, USA

Jun 032013

Expedition Eddie Baur

I bought this vehicle used with 35,000 miles on it and for about a year it ran great with no problems. A year into owning it I hear the loud pop that's all too familiar now but at the time I thought it was a blown motor. Since then I've heard the pop a total of 5 times to the tune of 275.00 per pop. Well this last pop was the mother of all pops and ended with the mechanic saying the plug had blown the head to the point he couldn't re thread it. The really bad thing is I've kept this vehicle immaculate inside and out. Other than a small rip on the drivers seat (which most expeditions appear to experience as well) this truck is clean as the board of heath. Now I'm hearing at least 3000.00 to have it repaired. This aluminum head is a piece of crap and Ford should be sued. I'm so pissed right now because I hate to scrap the truck but....This is Bull !

- , Jackson, TN, USA

Dec 152012

Expedition XLT 5.4L V8

Plug blew when future son in law was picking up sneakers that he sells for a business. Approximately 100 miles away. Had to call AAA for tow. Had it towed to local Ford dealer (Chapman Ford) where their diagnosis was a blown engine that needed to be replaced at cost of $7200. Asked if they could install helicoil and was told no the piston is broken. Had truck towed to my regular garage where helicoil was installed at a cost of about $210. Went back and told the dealership the story and asked why they told me piston was broken was told problem with engine could show up any where in next 5,000 miles. I had them listen to how good the engine was running they just tried to ignore me. I've put over 2,000 miles on the vehicle since this incident still running well. I don't know if Ford is aware of that fact not only are these engines defective but their dealers are trying to make big money on someones misfortune. I managed to complain enough for the dealer to begrudgedly refund my diagnostic charge but that was all.I'm not satisfied with this experience at all.

- , Mountville, PA, USA

Jul 012012

Expedition XLT 5.4L

Thought I had blown a head gasket. The truck would not speed up, but the engine roared. Bought a code checker and found the 2 spark plugs which were blown. Pep Boys tried to tell me it was 2 of the other spark plugs, then eventually came around to my diagnoses, so then, I told them to change all of them.

- , Howell, NJ, USA

Jan 012013

Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8

Only about the 5th or 6th time this has happened since I've owned the truck (less than 100,000 miles, 10 years.

The fix doesn't last more than a couple of months now before it recurs. The first time I took it in under warranty. The tech told me which cylinder malfunctioned before the truck was pulled into the bay. You'd think they'd repaired a lot of them. After that, the repairs have been on me. I saw a fix on Motorweek that apparently requires that you buy a special tool, coat the spark plug with some kind of silver goop so that it doesn't break, etc. Unfortunately, the truck is so old, I know Ford won't recall it. What's worse, I also have a 1997 Ford F250 Diesel with 205K miles on it that I swear by. I'll drive the F250 into the ground. The 7.3 Powerstroke Diesel is bullet proof. Wish I could say the same for my Expedition. When it's right, there is no better truck, even with the gas mileage. But this is ridiculous.

- , St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 172012

Expedition XLT 5.4L

This is the 2nd time this has happened . Spark plug blows out because they strip out taking out coil pack . This time i couldn't fix myself. I spent 5 hrs trying. Took to Rusty Eck Ford They made the repairs 300.00. I asked if any recalls they said no. Auto zone said this happens to a lot of Expeditions.This is a defect.

- , Park City, KS, USA

Jul 062012

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L Triton V8

Heading home from the 4th of July the #8 spark plug blew out of the head. We had no idea what it was and ended up limping home. Only good news is our decision between a Ford Expedition, Ford, or GMC Acadia was made very simple. As a former GM Powertrain engineer there is no way I can justify purchasing a vehicle from any company that cannot stand by their product and issue a recall for a bad design. The only option is to vote with my wallet. Too bad for Ford. They earned my business from GM and now lost it again.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Jun 112012

Expedition 4.6L V8

me and my husband own a business and while on the road for work my spark plug just blew out after checking with our mechanic and the internet this seems to be a major problem with fords. i have two ford suvs and have always been a loyal for customer. i can,t believe ford is not doing something. I will be selling this car real soon and i won,t be buying another for

- , Cuero, TX, Heard & McDonald Islands

Apr 012012

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

Replaced the #3 plug 3 times now and I am tired of it, it is now getting water in the plug probably from the head gasaket.

I have to agree with all of the forums that this should not be a repetitive issue and that Ford needs to recall the engine.

- , Howard, OH, USA

Jun 152011

Expedition XLT 5.4L

Blew out a plug on the way home from work. luckily within limping distance to a mechanic. I was doing about 45 and not horsing it at all when it popped. I love my expedition and will replace both the engine and tranny twice over before getting rid of it. I've had it for 4 years now and this and an alternator issue was all I've had to deal with - very reliable indeed!

- , Rapid City, SD, USA

Jul 102010

Expedition XLT 4.6L

Ford needs to recall and fix. They have not. This is the reason they will fail or be taken over by foreign companies! The plug broke, came out, piece fell into chamber, damaged valve.

- , Apple Valley, CA, USA