2004 Ford Expedition seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Ford Expedition:

2004 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 182016

The vehicle was involved in a major front-end accident which the driver suffered a significant injury and was ejected from the vehicle. The airbags failed to deploy, and the seatbelt latch neglected to keep the driver from being ejected from the vehicle. The driver lost control of the vehicle on a city street and collided with a power pole and then a signal pole. Upon head-on collision with the signal pole, the vehicle came to a stop but the airbags never deployed and the seat belt latch failed to keep the driver in the vehicle. The driver was ejected from the vehicle and suffered major injury.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Feb 102016

Was driving down interstate highway and a car next to me swerve sideways into my lane right into my path had nowhere to go. My car left front side of my vehicle and center struck the other vehicles right side. My passengers side airbag went off but my drivers side did not. There was no passenger in my front seat.

- O'fallon, MO, USA

Dec 172015

The contact owned a 2004 Ford Expedition. While driving approximately 35 mph and turning to avoid a crash, the contact lost control of the vehicle. The vehicle went over the median, crashed into a concrete pillar, slid sideways down the pillar, and the passenger side crashed into a pole. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact received injuries to the right arm as well as teeth and facial injuries. One rear seat passenger received teeth and facial injuries. Another rear seat passenger received rib injuries. The driver received injuries to the front of the body. All passengers required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed, towed, and salvaged. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 127,000.

- Sasadena, TX, USA

Sep 132015

Expedition 4WD

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Expedition. While driving 30 mph, the driver was not focused and crashed into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 180,000. Updated 11/25/15 updated 12/10/15.

- Derry, NH, USA

Apr 122014

My husband was driving down a county road at around 9:00 pm in our 2004 eddie bauer edition Expedition, from dps it was told he could have been going at a rate of up to 100 mph when he reached a curve he missed it and tried to get back on the road but lost control of the vehicle which flipped multiple times, the only airbags that deployed were the side airbags even though there was very serious front end damage the frontal driver and passenger airbags did not deploy, which could have saved his life.

- Rosharon, TX, USA

Jul 042012

Expedition 8-cyl

I bought Ford Expedition with airbags suspension and now it's broken likewise air compressor too was damages, which I didn't know or any idea they sold me this SUV, loaded with this airbags suspension, is it legal here in Hawaii to sold cars or SUV's loaded with airbags suspension ?

- Kahuku,, HI, USA

Nov 172013

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 25 mph, the side curtain air bags erroneously deployed. The passenger sustained a concussion from the impact of the air bag. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was 147,000.

- Lititz, PA, USA

Oct 242013

Expedition 8-cyl

In heavy local traffic when traffic came to a sudden stop. Applied brakes but was unable to stop in time. Rear-ended a Dodge Ram pickup truck. Passenger side air bag deployed but driver side did not deploy. Suffered neck and back soft tissue injuries. Expedition was totaled by insurance company. Information supplied by legal representative.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Dec 212012

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Expedition. The contact was driving approximately 25 mph when a second vehicle crashed into the contacts vehicle, causing damage to the front driver's side bumper. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the neck and bruising to the ribs. He was transported to the hospital via ambulance. The police reported to the scene and a report was filed. The vehicle was towed to an auto shop but was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 109,000.

- Urbandale, IA, USA

Apr 242012

The contact owns 2004 Ford Expedition. The contact was driving 20 mph when the driver and passenger side curtain air bags deployed erroneously.the vehicle was taken to the dealer where the contact was awaiting diagnosis of the failure. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and the current mileage was 117,000.

- Fort Collins , CO, USA

Apr 242012

Expedition 8-cyl

Unexpectedly sudden deployment of side air bags as I was driving on the freeway. The warning light of airbag been illuminated for a short period before.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Feb 202012

Expedition 8-cyl

My fiancee was in a vehicle accident where she rear-ended another vehicle. She was distracted by an aggressive driver and didn't realize the cars in front of her were stopped. She was traveling approximately 40 mph upon impact. The passenger airbag deployed, but the drivers' airbag did not deploy. My concern is that it should have and did not. The vehicle is in possession of my insurance company and they are allowing inspection of the airbag system. If you are willing to test it for me and provide a report, I would greatly appreciate it. Ford is denying that it is faulty safety equipment.

- Martinsburg, WV, USA

Sep 192011

Expedition 8-cyl

I was driving down a main street when a car comes out from a residential street infront of me, I had no braking distance time but still hit my brakes and veered to the right trying to make it into the residential street the car came out of to miss hitting the car, but instead hit the corner wall at 45mph. The passenger side air bag deployed but mine did not resulting in head injury. My head hit the windshield so hard I kept blacking out, luckily my 1yr old passenger (my son) only had red marks on his neck from the car seat straps.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jun 232010

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Expedition. While driving approximately 50 mph on June 23, 2010, a vehicle failed to yield the right of way and crashed into the left side of the contacts front end of the vehicle. The drivers frontal air bag failed to deploy, and the seat belt failed to restrain the driver; however, the passenger frontal air bag deployed. The contact sustained injuries to the chest and back. A passenger in the other vehicle was also injured. The insurance company confirmed that the vehicle was destroyed. The vehicle was towed to an auction lot. The memphis police report number was 10457802. The manufacturer also filed report 0503361760. The failure and current mileages were 220,000.

- Dyersburg , TN, USA

Sep 292009

I was driving my 2004 Ford Expedition XLT at 55mph when I struck the back of a vehicle that was stopped at a red traffic light, causing a 5 car chain reaction including my vehicle. Upon waking up in the hospital the state trooper informed me that none of the airbags in the vehicle deployed. I sustained a concussion with loss of consciousness, and currently have concussion syndrome. I also suffer from a herniated disc in my lower back from the accident. The truck was totaled so there was no action taken to correct this problem.

- Palm Coast, FL, USA

Oct 252008

Involved in auto accident hit motorist that ran a stop sign then a utility pole traveling aprox 35 mph totaled out Expedition and air bags did not deploy.

- Columbus, MS, USA

Jul 182008

An accident happend July 18th to my brother and his son with a 2004 Ford Expedition saudi arabia registration here in jordan in amman city, flippid over few times on the road, but with liability inssurance only ( forced mandatory insurrance entering jordan ) and the air bag did not comeout. Is there any chance to complain against Ford motors because of the air bag did not come out.

- Amman , 00, USA

Feb 102008

Expedition 8-cyl

I hit black ice slammed into guardrail with front of car, spun around 4 times then hit the rear of car on guardrail. My legs hit the under dash because there was no airbag deployment, I am still having problems with my legs. The whole front of my car was pushed into the motor. I do have pictures of the crash. There was over $13,000 damage and my car was totaled. I don't want anyone to have to go through the pain and struggles I have had to, thank god my grandson was uninjured. Where do I go from here" can you help with locating Ford? don't I have the right to be safe" that is why I purchased this car for the safety I was led to believe it had. Please help me look into this problem.

- Grass Lake, MI, USA

May 112007

Expedition 4WD 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Ford Expedition. While driving approximately 40 mph under dry conditions, a vehicle cut in front of the contact while making a left turn. The contact crashed into the other vehicle and the air bags failed to deploy. As a result, the driver and passenger were injured and had to be taken to the hospital. The vehicle has not been taken to the dealer and is in storage for insurance observation. The contact has a police and fire report. The engine size was unknown. The current and failure mileages were 27,000. Updated 02/01/08. Updated 02/01/08

- Destin, FL, USA

Aug 032004

Expedition 8-cyl

While traveling about 55 mph on I85 in charlotte during a thunderstorm, we were in the center lane and an 18 wheeler was in the right lane. Suddenly, the front of the vehicle lifted up and we went left -head on with the concrete median. Then bounced off the wall and came back across two lanes of traffic and hit the 18 wheeler head on. Bounced off the truck heading straight ahead in the center lane where we started and coasted off the road. Not one of our air bags deployed! 55mph -2 head on collisions - and they didn't even attempt to come out! we had to have a tow truck come and pick up our 2004 Ford Expedition (1 owner) and they took it to a Ford dealership for the insurance adjuster to come and investigage. We had to rent a car to get off the highway with our family. The vehicle was totalled immediately by my insurance company.

- Hendersonville, NC, USA