2006 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Expedition:

2006 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Mar 292014

Expedition 8-cyl

As I was driving my Expedition, the truck suddenly shut completely off and I had to power steering and then in the message center it showed "engine failsafe mode". I had to put my flashers on and coast to a stop in the lane I was in and come to a complete stop before I could restart my truck. I was unable to switch lanes or move to a safer location because I had no power steering. I had the same thing happen in March of 2009 when I was going 60 on the interstate in the middle lane and lost all power and had to coast to a stop in that lane with my flashers on hoping everyone around me would see I was having car trouble. I had 3 of my kids in the truck with me. In 2009 I took it into the Ford dealership and they said it was the throttle body and replaced it which cost me $536. In 2009 it happened 5 times before it was fixed. I took the truck in today and they said again its the throttle body and because it's been 5 years the other one is no longer under warranty. So now I'm getting a new throttle body put in. I emailed Ford corporate and was basically told that there is no current recall nor plans for one so there's nothing they can do for me!

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Mar 262014

Expedition 8-cyl

This is the second incident: The fist was about 3 months ago. I was driving down a residential street yesterday when the "fail safe mode" indicator came on and said engine shutting down. Car turns off, cannot steer. Very dangerous. I was on a residential street and was able to pull off. Turned the car off for a few minutes and it started and I drove to work, but the engine light remained on. I took it to an auto parts store who ran it and it came up as throttle body forces immediate idle. Which is exactly what the 10 pages on complaints on carcomplaints.com said it would say - however information on that site also said it's actually the fuel pump modulator, but the computer did not indicate that at all. There were almost 60 complaints of the same situations - when I pulled out into traffic today the car 'hesitated' and did not accelerate correctly. The first incident occurred on a major highway - and again I was lucky enough to be in the right lane and was able to pull over. This defect is going to cause an injury or even death and it needs to be recalled and corrected. I will be contacting Ford corporate; but with the recent incidents with GM I would hate to see an accident or fatality occur when Ford and others are aware of this problem. Obviously I have to get this fixed, I'm hoping my Ford dealer will work with me, but I have a 4 year old so time is of the essence and I'm guessing money will be too. Regardless of Ford's corporate response, I will be contacting the media. This is a safety issue and is unacceptable that Ford is not taking responsibility.

- Holiday, FL, USA

Feb 282014

Expedition 8-cyl

I was driving around 46mph, and in the middle of driving, my truck cut off for around 5 seconds. I almost got by the truck behind me. My truck kicked back on by itself, all why I was driving. I was so terrified the truck behind almost rear ended me.

- Fresno, TX, USA

Dec 102010

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that the vehicle would engage into safe mode when started, causing the vehicle to stall. The failure was recurring over a three year span. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the problem. The approximate failure was 70,000.

- Staton Island, NY, USA

Dec 022013

Expedition 8-cyl

While driving approximately 35 kph my ABS light came on followed by the brake light then the airbag light. (check engine never goes off. Replace all plugs and coils. Replace of sensors and several fuses.) the headlights begin to flash off and on then truck started sputtering. The fuel light went from 3/4 tank to E. I pulled into shopping center placed it in park. Went to put it back in drive and couldn't something was draining battery that is only 3 months old. Don't know resolution but tired of this truck! it is ridiculous that this truck has so many repeat issues and no recall. Ford needs to be sued. I daily have to turn on my hazards and restart car because it spontaneously goes into limp mode, especially in traffic.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Nov 212013

Expedition 8-cyl

Driving at 25mph the vehicle engine shut down and went into failsafe mode, power steering also disabled causing a very dangerous situation trying to steer the car from traffic to a safe area without assisted steering. This problem has occurred several times over the past 2 years and usually in colder weather. Last time it happened was on a main highway but luckily I was alone without my family and in the inside lane so I was able to pull over thankfully it didn't happen in the overtaking lane as there is no time to safely change lanes when it shuts down. Surprised there has been no fatalities due to this as it is a common problem with 2006 Ford trucks.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 012012

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving between 45 to 50 mph, the vehicle stalled and the engine fail safe light illuminated. The contact was able to coast to the shoulder where the vehicle was restarted. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who stated that the throttle body was not opening and closing correctly. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 75,000.

- Tamarac , FL, USA

Oct 212013

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, the fail safety engine warning light illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The failure was recurring. The vehicle was neither diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 110,000.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

Oct 132013

Expedition 8-cyl

Vehicle simply shuts off at any time and shows 'engine fail safe mode'. this has happened approximately 15 times since we bought the vehicle (used) in March 2012 (most recently on 10/13). I have researched this online and many other owners have the same complaint. We replaced the tps at a cost of around $300 as a possible fix and this worked for about 6 months - now the problem is back and my research indicates we need to have the throttle body replaced. This will cost us around $500 - for a total repair cost of around $800 - which we cannot afford! Ford has literally $hundreds of millions to take care of this and must recall due to this issue - there is no excuse to allow this dangerous problem to continue. Ford Motor Co. Owes me $800 due to their poor engineering and unwillingness to solve this issue - they are greedy crooks.

- Centre Hall, PA, USA

Jun 032013

Expedition

Lemon! 2006 Ford Expedition beginning of June it started "bogging" down while driving. We took it to autozone, misfire. Took it to a mechanic we know and he told us the codes showed 6,7,8 sparkplugs. Trying to save $.this helped a little, started doing it again but worse, this time it was decelerating we were going 75 & check engine light started flashing & bogged down to 50 on the hwy almost cause several wrecks as I tried to pull over to the side (with my kids in the car) took it into the mechanic & other spark plugs coil packs & 1 injector got it fixed picked it up & didn't even get down the road & it did it again.this time check engine light went off after flashing.took it back to him & no codes couldn't find anything.went hm & almost got in a wreck again! it decelerate to 45 after going 70. We went hm, next morning going to take it back to him again!! while driving, A/C turned off, door sensor alarm fail popped up, another sensor fail, &pulled over put in park & wouldn't come out of park.called mechanic, after so many look overs thinking it was PCM, security module, he gives up after 2 wks of working on it.we get it hm & start looking on here & find so much about this like its going in safe fail mode without shutting off. Start looking at all the other forums & this yr model had 362 complains on another site & many on here, several of this same deal.we started with fuses #5 blown, change blows immediately, change again blows again. Start chasing wires, change again starts up.okay great!!! now rough idle, way bad who cares it starts! drive it to work, we desperately need my car & Ford cant get to it for 1 1/2 months.starts stalling while driving again A/C shuts off and slows down. Ford needs to fix this before it kills someone! this is a major defect that will kill! I have found this same issue on this same site a lot! why isn't anything being done? help!!!!!!!!!

- Odessa, TX, USA

Feb 172013

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated while driving 55 mph she attempted to accelerate the vehicle and it began to lunge and hesitate. The vehicle also stalled. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 101,000.

- Laguna Beach, CA, USA

Mar 132013

Expedition 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated while driving approximately 60 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the engine and spark plugs needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The approximate failure mileage was 70,500 and the current mileage was 70,628.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Apr 302013

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the fail safe warning light illuminated as the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was restarted and operated as designed. The failure recurred three times. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 95,000.

- Sachse, TX, USA

Jan 242013

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving 60 mph, the engine light illuminated and the steering became difficult. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that five of her spark plugs had fractured inside the cylinder. The vehicle was repaired. Three months after the repair, the engine light illuminated and the vehicle was returned to the dealer who stated that the spark plug failure had caused the catalytic converter to fail and it would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 85,000.

- Hammonton, NJ, USA

Apr 242013

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated while driving 65 mph, the engine fail safe mode light illuminated and the vehicle stopped accelerating. The vehicle was restarted and operated as designed. It was the second time the failure had occurred. The manufacturer was notified and advised the contact to take the vehicle to a dealer for diagnosis. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 103,000.

- Ft Worth, TX, USA

Jul 142012

Expedition

Engine shuts off while driving and shows 'engine fail safe mode'. this has happened 6 times since I bought the vehicle in March 2012 (I've had the vehicle a little over a year now). It has happened in 1) a restaurant parking lot while on vacation; 2) in a parking garage at work; 3) in a store parking lot; 4) in a store parking lot; 5) on a road; 6) in a store parking lot. (#5/#6 just happened yesterday to my wife while shopping with our 3yr. Old son). This is a serious safety issue because it can happen any time, anywhere, without warning. I have contacted Ford and of course they say they are not aware of the problem - even though I have found hundreds of complaints on various online forums and right here on the NHTSA website. It seems (from my research online) that the problem can be fixed by replacing the throttle body and tps - which is a costly repair for which I do not have the money (after just buying new tires in addition to a separate $500 repair). Ford needs to recall and fix this issue before someone is injured or killed!!

- Centre Hall, PA, USA

Aug 172012

Expedition 8-cyl

While traveling on the highway at approximately 75 mph in a 2006 Ford Expedition, the vehicle's engine suddenly and without warning shut down. Due to the loss of power, the steering and brakes were extremely difficult to control. The vehicle coasted on the highway until I was safely able to direct the vehicle to the side of the roadway. After stopping and parking the vehicle safely, I was able to restart the vehicle without further incident. This occured a total of three times in months that followed. I took the vehicle to a Ford dealership and they could not find a problem with the vehicle. After researching the incident online, I learned that the throttle control switch may have been the cause of the problem. I notified the dealership of my research and they did not agree. I replaced the switch on my own and I have not encountered any additional engine failures since.

- Temecula, CA, USA

May 012009

Expedition 8-cyl

Relating to article editorial.autos.msn.com/blogs/autosblogpost-ros.aspx?post=9D5D443C-A8B6-43A1-8cc6-5942B4C36E39&icid=autos_4051 my vehicle has experienced the same issue dozens of time. I took the vehicle to a dealership, gus machado Ford in miami, fl and mentioned this issue. I was told they were not aware of the problem with the car going into engine failsafe mode and loosing power while the vehicle was still running. The vehicle was under factory warranty at that point and they refused to fix it. At that time, I was not really aware of the problem. After it happened again and again, I did some research online and found out that thousands of owners are having the same problem. At the time the vehicle was out of factory warranty. I contacted Ford a couple of year ago and again they told me they were not aware of the problem, even if they are hundreds and hundreds of owners that have reported this problem to Ford as described in different blogs online. When this happens, I have to find a place to stop since the vehicle does not respond to the gas pedal even if it is still running. The vehicle must be turned off and started again. This is a huge safety concern for me a my family, even more now with a newborn. If it happens while on the expressway or highway, we can be rear ended by another drive or truck since the vehicle looses power and the vehicle must be turned off. Here in miami, there is a lot of construction going on and highways are being expanded. Must of the construction has eliminated the emergency lane, which means that if that happens, we are going to be stranded in the middle of the highway. I contacted Ford again a few weeks ago and mentioned the problem again, they still ""don't know"" about this even if it is being investigated by the NHTSA. Please help. My vehicle is a Ford Expedition 2006.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 112013

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the engine lost power. The contact also stated that the activating fail safe mode warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic for diagnosis. The mechanic was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate mileage was 71,000.

- Norton, MA, USA

Jan 092013

Expedition 8-cyl

On 1/9/2013, I was driving at approx. 35 mph when the engine turned itself off. I attempted restarting the engine to no avail. I coasted to the side of the road where the engine still would not start. After waiting about five minutes, I was able to restart the engine. The car seemed to run slowly on the way back home. The next time I drove the car, it seemed to run normally. On 2/12/2013, my wife was driving the car at 25 mph when the engine died again. She had to coast to the side of the road & wait to restart the car. She slowly drove back home with the vehicle. Next time the car was taken out, it ran normally. I am concerned that this problem could occur on the interstate highways at a higher speed & the result could have been vastly different.

- Punta Gorda, FL, USA