2006 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Expedition:

2006 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Nov 012013

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. While driving at various speeds and after a loud alarm sound, the vehicle stalled and the engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the spark plugs were replaced and the mechanic informed the contact that the catalytic converter was failing. The failure had reoccurred on several occasions. The failure mileage was 80,000.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

May 102013

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. While driving over 50 mph, the vehicle shook vigorously and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Nov 102015

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that the engine fail safe mode warning indicator randomly flashed. The vehicle's speed reduced and stalled several times. The vehicle was taken to a manufacturer's master mechanic for further diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was not available.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Jun 272016

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that the engine fail safe mode warning light flashed and the vehicle drastically reduced speed and stalled without warning. The contact had to apply force to coast the vehicle off the road. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the computer needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

- Elizabethton, TN, USA

Jun 042016

Expedition

My 2006 Ford Expedition's "engine failsafe mode" initiated and alerted me while I was operating the vehicle, which resulted in the vehicle shutting down completely and losing all power. My main issue/concern with this is that I lost steering and a significant amount of braking power. Fortunately, I was on a side road and was able to safely pull over out of harm's way. The vehicle was able to start a couple of tries later, and I was able to get the vehicle into a service shop safely, which was over an hour away. I cannot help but be grateful for getting home safely, but am very concerned about these vehicles experiencing such issues as they traverse major thoroughfares, especially on a highway traveling around 70mph. This potentially posed very impactful consequences and puts myself, friends/family traveling with me, and other motorists.

- Winter Springs, FL, USA

Jun 012016

Expedition

While driving on a highway at 60 mph and on a city street at 40 mph the vehicle without any warning shuts off and goes into engine fail safe mode, the vehicle still has braking and steering and after turning ignition key to off then on it restarts and drives fine. This vehicle has 120,000 miles on it.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 092016

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. While driving 50 mph, the engine light illuminated, the vehicle lost power, jerked, and stalled. The contact had to restart the vehicle to resume normal operation. In addition, while driving at 50 mph, the vehicle repeatedly slow down and accelerate. The failure recurred a few times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the spark plugs needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 158,307.

- La Place, LA, USA

Jan 122016

Expedition

While taking my kids to daycare the engine fail safe light came on and the engine shut down. I was sitting at a light waiting to go straight under a bridge and at this particular light only one lane can go straight since the engine shut down and I could not move this caused major backup. Luckily there was an emergency vehicle a few cars behind and he was able to push me through the light and into a parking lot. After a few minutes of sitting there the truck started and I was able to get them to daycare and continue on to work. Very dangerous situation and something should be done.

- Cedar Hill, TX, USA

Jan 112016

Expedition

My vehicle has completely shut down in the middle of driving on several occasions. I have had diagnostic reports run and they do not find any problems. The first time I was going 45 mph and was able to coast into a sonic. I waited about 15 minutes and the car started back up. The second time was at a gas station and my car would not start. I had a diagnostic run and was told it was my battery. I replaced the battery and my vehicle died again the next day, but started back up one I let it sit for a few minutes. This morning I was pulling into a parking lot at work and it died. After about 10 minutes it started back up and I was able to pull into a parking spot. I went to leave for lunch and now my vehicle will not start at all. This could have been much worse if I were driving down the interstate and the car shut off on me like it has done other times. I have two children and the thought of them in this car does not make me feel safe!!

- Lumberton, TX, USA

Jan 012014

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the fail safe warning indicator illuminated as the engine stalled. The contact stated that the vehicle had to be shifted into the park position in order to be restarted. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 110,000.

- Albany, GA, USA

Nov 162015

Expedition

I was driving down the freeway approximately 50 mph when my engine completely shut down. There was a beep and a light came on that said "enginer fail safe mode". the engine shut off, but luckily I still had full movement of my steering wheel so I was able to change lanes and get off to the shoulder. I panicked for a moment, but started the car and it started right back up. I attempted my drive to work and made it there. Not sure what to do about the problem, but I'm scared to drive it anymore. Especially with my children in the vehicle and my husband is out of town for work. This is a major safety issue and needs to be recalled.

- Puyallup, WA, USA

Nov 052015

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. While driving 35 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost power and the "engine fail safe mode" warninig illuminated on the instrument panel. The contact coasted to the side of the road and shut off the engine. The vehicle was restarted after a few minutes, but the warning indicator recurred. The contact called a local dealer who was unable to explain the failure, but asked to see the vehicle for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 95,962.

- Orange, CA, USA

Jul 152015

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. While driving at approximately 35 mph, the "engine safe fail mode" warning message illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who was unable to determine the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 190,000.

- Goose Creek, SC, USA

Oct 272015

Expedition

I have had two situations where my SUV engine expectedly shuts off. 1.) while driving in stop and go traffic 2.) turning into a parking lot after putting the SUV in park, I can immediate turn back on.

- Modesto, CA, USA

Oct 162015

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. While driving 45 mph, the vehicle lost power. When the accelerator pedal was depressed, the vehicle failed to accelerate and the rpms increased. The check engine and service vehicle soon warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 141,000.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Jan 012013

Expedition

We were experiencing stalls and overall sluggishness and took it to a mechanic who told us we needed a tune up. My husband usually does minor upkeep, thanked the man and was about to take our truck home when the mechanic informed us that the plugs were a bear to change since we would need a special tool and chances are, the plugs would break off. We were skeptical but trusted him to do the job. It cost so much and took so long, we bought a beater car in the interim so we could get to work! and it cost over $1000...for a tune up!!! it looks like Ford knows full well about this built in money maker since I see we are in good company with many owners complaining about the exact same issue. Shame on Ford.

- Irwin, PA, USA

Apr 182015

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. While parked, the vehicle stalled shortly after being started. The contact was able to restart the vehicle, but the engine warning indicator illuminated. This was a recurring failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 111,000.

- Castro Valley, CA, USA

Jun 202015

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle made a rattling noise. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the vehicle's engine needed to be repaired or replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 194,549.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jun 012015

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. While driving 65 mph, the engine warning light illuminated and flickered when accelerating. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 164,500.

- Cedar Creek, TX, USA

Nov 012014

Expedition

The contact owns a 2006 Ford Expedition. The contact stated that while driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle jerked and lost power as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Yuba City , CA, USA