9.3

2. needs throttle body replacement (6 reports)
  3. dealer replaced throttle body and motor assembly (5 reports)
  4. replace throttle body (5 reports)
  5. dealer cleaned throttle body and reprogrammed computer...??? (2 reports)
  6. replace fuel pump module (1 reports)
2006 Ford Expedition engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Ford Expedition:

2006 Ford Expedition Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

May 012013

Expedition

Replace throttle body....why is this not a recall?

- , Hatboro, PA - Pennsylvania, USA

Apr 022014

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

This happened while I was going 35mph, luckily none of my kids were in the car! I had to ditch it off the road (no power steering). After calling my husband and telling him how scary it was to have my Expedition just shut off while driving down the road, it started back up.

A month later, today, I was turning right, about 5mph and it shut off completely but no fail safe light this time. It's going in to a real mechanic!

- , Friendswood, TX, USA

Dec 162013

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.5L

Looks like I have a reason like the rest of you not to buy a Ford again. Shame on me for trusting Ford to take care of their customers.

I have been in the auto industry for 30+ years. This should have been treated as a recall or a Ford fix. Their out of pocket would have been less than $200 to have customer satisfaction. Small price to pay for customer satisfaction. Live and learn.

- , Grayslake, IL, USA

Dec 122013

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

I was coming home from a trip to Kentucky back home to North Carolina. About 1 mile from home the engine failsafe mode light came on and the engine stopped. After pulling off and turning off the ignition I restarted the car and it ran perfectly, brought it home and it is in the garage. I'm wondering, is it safe to drive or should I have it towed? My research tells me this is a common problem and should be a recall. Has that happened yet?

- , Jacksonville, NC, USA

Mar 262014

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

Second time this has happened, first time documenting complaint. Was driving normally when fail safe mode came on, steering locked up and car shut down. I was luckily able to pull over to the side of the road, turn the car off for a few minutes and it started back up and I was able to get to work. I was on a residential street today, the first time I was on a major highway, luckily in the right lane and I managed to pull over. VERY dangerous. I'll be contacting Ford corporate today.

Update from Mar 27, 2014: I urge all of you to contact National Highway Traffic and Safety Administration (NHTSA) as well as Ford corporate to file a complaint - I emailed Ford corporate today and already received a reply - not offering ANY assistance, but it is documentation. This is unacceptable. Here's the link to contact Ford. http://corporate.ford.com/footer/contact-ford You may need to copy & paste. Don't stop complaining - this is a major safety issue.

- , Holiday, FL, USA

Oct 012013

Expedition LX V6

I was driving down a very busy road my steering wheel locked up and vehicle shut off and I was turning at a stop light almost hit a car head on. Failed engine came across the place where it shows mileage. I was going around 35 mph and make a left at stop light it was green so I wasn't just stopped and then went. I was in the middle of turning when this happen. Very very dangerous. I was scared to death this needs to be some kind of damn recall. I called Ford dealer they said they never heard of this. After reading this page I find that hard to believe and will be calling there corporate office tomorrow.

- , Fayetteville, NC, USA

May 272012

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

I thought I'd offer this information as a preventative for all you Expedition and F150 owners.

A few months ago I had a problem with engine cutting out shortly after starting. The engine light went on and it restarted without a problem. I planned on having it serviced soon, and since it didn't happen again I assumed it was bad gas, in need of a tune up or something minor.

Well, it reared it's ugly head last week while I was on an island in New Brunswick, Canada. This time it would start and then stall out repeatedly.We towed it to the local mechanic for diagnostics, as the Ford dealership was on the mainland. I was told it probably was the fuel pump. I called the parts department of Downey Ford in St. Stephen, NB to get an idea of cost of a fuel pump. The customer service person was kind enough to suggest that the fuel pump module should be looked at as the cause of the problem. A much less expensive fix and overlooked as a possibility by the mechanic. The module is located near the spare tire where it gets lots of road salt and rots out. It was a relief to know that instead of a costly repair it was a minor one that only took an hour. This is a common repair on F150's. Ford should place this module somewhere where it isn't so exposed to road salt and put a better coating on it. I understand that after market modules are not only much less expensive, but also are coated better and have a spacer that holds it away from the body.

Thank you to the informative customer service person at Downey Ford! You have gone above and beyond to help a total stranger. I hope this helps other Expedition owners.

- , Newburyport, MA, USA

Dec 122011

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

problem started nov. 2011. driving 70/75mpg. in heavy traffic on a bridge with no emergency lane. it just quit running -- engine in failsafe mode -- it has since stopped about eleven times! had it to ford dealership 2 times. they can't find the problem. sent complaint to national highway traffic safety -- also called them at 1-888-327-4236 called ford motor co. 1-800-392-3673 Still have same problem!

- , Landis, NC, USA

Nov 062012

Expedition Limited 5.4L

Driving 40 mph and failsafe light came on and the engine shut down. I was able to pull off the rode. I restarted the engine and was able to drive home (2miles). I contacted the Ford dealer and had the vehicle towed in and they diagnosed the problem and replaced the throttle body. Very dangerous situation and I understand that this has been corrected but is not a recall. I would expect that this should be a recall item. Also, to add to the issue my after market extended warranty said they will not cover it even though it is part of the engine fuel control system. I feel cheated all the way around--dangerous situation that is not backed up and shafted by the warranty company.

- , Beaufort, NC, USA

Nov 282012

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8

I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one that has had this "almost identical" problem based on the descriptions I have read, and most specifically the 'fail safe mode' operation. I too was traveling the interstate at around 68 mph, and all of a sudden, without warning and due to no fault of my own (other than maybe touching the steering wheel?!) the engine begins to run 'quite roughly', shall i say, to the point that I immediately knew this was not good and that I had to turn around and head back towards home with hopes I would make it there. I proceeded to find the nearest cut-across and turned around heading back to where I had just left 10 minutes before. The 'fail safe mode' was being indicated in the dash and I didn't know if the vehicle would make it back to home or not....my most immediate concern was pulling back onto the interstate knowing I had 70mph traffic approaching in both lanes that were available. Thank God I made it safely by using the 'outside emergency lane' until I could get back to the best speed it would attain, about 60 mph. I made it home, about 7 miles, but wasn't sure I was going to. I had the vehicle towed to the dealer soon thereafter and this was their diagnosis.

WELL....just today, a similar issue occurred. This time there was no 'fail safe' mode, but the vehicle began running 'rough' again (as I travel the on-ramp onto the interstate) and this time the 'battery indicator' was flashing and it felt as though the vehicle was missing on a couple of cylinders, for lack of a better definition. About a mile further down the interstate, this condition cleared (this is not the 'first' time since it was fixed that this has happened!) and that's the only reason i continued driving...assuming it would once again correct itself.

I don't know exactly what or where this problem is, but I will definitely question my dealership, and specifically about the TPS that Linda (from kentucky, i think) mentioned before and which her husband had replaced and fixed their problem. (or at least she hopes!!!!) I have been a Ford owner since 1988, but I'm certainly not opposed to never buying another one if FORD MOTOR COMPANY doesn't admit this is a problem and fix it from this point forward. As many others mentioned already, that was a very uncomfortable and dangerous situation I put myself in when I had to turn around on the interstate!

- , Cordova, TN, USA

May 302013

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Driving 70mph in left lane of toll way, car stalls, lights come on dash, lose all power says fail safe mode. This is obviously a known problem with this vehicle. Of course, dealership will not admit that. I am having the throttle body assembly replaced as I cannot drive this vehicle this way, it is too dangerous. I am in the process of teaching a 16 year old to drive. I cannot have her drive this vehicle. I agree....Shame on you Ford. I have reported this to the transportation safety administration. They've heard it many times. Keep complaining.

- , Sachse, TX, USA

May 162013

Expedition King Ranch 5.4L

While driving my truck would engine would shut off and 'fail engine safety' light would come on....scared me several times, especially when the kids were in the truck. Great full always happened right after I would start to drive after idling-so not far on the road in traffic, but very annoying. Thought it was bad gas at first but after filling up several times it still would die. Did research at this site and others. Found it to be the throttle....had it replaced at North County Ford for about $275. Runs good so far and have a warranty on it now....thank goodness! Driving across country and thanks car complaints.com and those who have posted for answers in helping me solve a problem when I was so frustrated with my truck in which I love driving and is paid for!

Simona

- , Oceanside, CA, USA

Jan 092013

Expedition Eddie Baur 5.4L V8

This is the 1st complaint on this issue. While driving down the road, the Engine Fail Safe Mode engages, the engine loses power, for no apparent reason. You pull over if you can. Put the vehicle in park. Turn everything off. Shut off engine. Restart and i put it in drive and continue on. This is very dangerous, if someone is tailgating you and this happens, they could rear end your vehicle and people could have a major accident and die. Please recall and fix. Thank you.

- , Berkley, MI, USA

Apr 232013

Expedition Limited 5.4L

I see that this is a common problem with this vehicle. This is my third Expedition, and I had a Navigator in between this one and the last one. The first time this happened, I was on a residential street in a school zone, and was able to pull over, turn the car off, and it restarted and everything was fine. So I just thought, "wow, that was weird" and moved on. This morning on my way to work, I was traveling at 65 mph on the freeway in a construction zone where there are no shoulders and there are concrete barricades right next to the lane, when it happened again. No power, no acceleration, dash says "engine failsafe mode"... and no where to pull over!!! Since I didn't die, and actually made it to work, I looked up the problem, which led me here. I have called Ford Customer Care (800-392-3673), who took all the information and directed me to take the vehicle to the dealership where I would be responsible for the diagnostic charge and the repair costs. She acted like she had never heard of this problem before. My next call was to file a complaint with the National Highway Safetey Board (800-424-9393), who took all my information and indicated that they were going to try to get a recall issued. If everyone will call and file a complaint, it will be more likely to happen before someone actually dies.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Apr 262013

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L

Thank everyone who has taken the time to post on this site. We had our fail safe come on tonight and shut down the engine, thank goodness we were in a parking lot and not on the interstate like so many others. I will be making calls to Ford and anyone else that can help our cause on getting this recalled. I shut the engine off for a minute and then it cranked right up. I was reading that this hasn't been a problem after 06 and maybe looking to trade if I do not see more positive post on how to fix this. If anyone else has this problem post it and make the calls.

- , Jonesboro, AR, USA

Oct 012010

Expedition Limited 5.7L V8

I am facing this issue only when idle or going very slow.

- , Tomball, TX, USA

Nov 172012

Expedition King Ranch 4.6L V8

My 2006 Expedition King Ranch shut down unexpectedly on my wife last weekend in the McDonalds drive through and the engine fail safe mode indicator came on. The truck restarted with out trouble but then cut out two more times on the way home. Fortunately it was not on the highway as she had my little girl and her friend with her! I researched the problem and it seems like Im not the only one with this serious issue. It appears to me that the throttle body or more specifically the TPS may be the issue. Is there anyone who has had a repair done that has eliminated the problem and can therefore positively ID the cause? I will be calling Ford like the others. This is obviously a serious issue that Ford needs to address!

- , Waynesboro, PA, USA

Dec 102012

Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.8L

Truck started shutting down about once a year since 2010 until now it does it once a week and today twice already and now check engine light stays on. Very dangerous and something needs to be done. I will be taking it in for service today but it if this is a common problem Ford needs to do something!

- , Two Rivers, WI, USA

May 152012

Expedition Eddie Baur 5.4L V8

i WAS DRIVING ON THE HIGHWAY AND TRUCK ENGINE LIGHT WENT ON AND THE TRUCK SHUT OFF IN THE LEFT LANE OF THE HIGHWAY.. I ALMOST GOT CRUNCHED BY A TRACTOR TRAILER WITH MY KIDS IN THE CAR..BROUGHT IT TO DEALERSHIP, THEY COULDN'T FIND THE PROBLEM. TWO MORE TIMES IT HAPPENED AFTER THAT ON THE HIGHWAY WHERE I ALMOST CAUSED ACCIDENTS. I SEE THAT THERE ARE A BUNCH OF THE SAME COMPLAINTS THAT I HAVE. WHY IS NO ONE DOING ANYTHING ABOUT IT?????? I GUESS SOMEONE NEEDS TO DIE BEFORE FORD TAKES IT SERIOUSLY!

VERY UPSET AND SCARED MOTHER OF 3.

- , Coplay, PA, USA

Oct 022012

Expedition Eddie Baur 5.4L V8

i DON'T KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON WITH THIS GOD DAMN TRUCK. WHILE DRIVING DOWN THE ROAD, TRUCK GOES INTO FAIL SAFE MODE AND SHUTS DOWN. IT WILL RESTART, SHUTTERING AND BUCKING. THE ENGINE WONT GO.IT RED LINES AT 3000RPMS. STARTS TO SHAKE AND SPUTTER. I GOT ITS MISFIRING, CC ISSUES 0X SENSOR etc............WHAT IS GOING ON??????

- , Coplay, PA, USA