1998 Ford Explorer transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Apr 222007

Explorer XLT 4.0 SOHC

While in the mountains and going down a significant hill, I placed the shifter in the 1 position to help slow my car in going down the hill. It was like placing the car in neutral, I had NO engine braking (compression hold-back). Consequently, I ended up with billows of smoke coming from my front brakes. I finally found a place to pull over and thought the car was going to catch on fire. I have engine braking in 2 and in D, with or without OD.

- , Bristol, TN, USA