1998 Ford Explorer wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Ford Explorer:

1998 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 12 of 17)

Aug 142000

Explorer 4WD

The tire shredded so quickly I barely had time to think about what to do before I was riding on my rim and careening all over the freeway. It is fortunate that no one was hurt and my dealership took care of putting knew tires on my vehicle. All five of my tires were the faulty model.( dot number: Vdhl1pm046 tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Troy, MI, USA

Aug 012000

Explorer

Ford dealer says tire is defective but not part of recall (yet). Please help!( dot number: W2hl tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Chesterfield, MI, USA

Jul 202000

Explorer

Took vehicle to Firestone 48 hours prior to blowout for balance/rotate. Blow out occurred going 70 mph. Road tep was 113 degrees. Firestone told me on 7/23 it was due to improperly inflated tires. They checked tire pressure less than 48 hours prior. They viewed my tire and said since I did not have road hazard I needed to buy another one. I then asked about it's reliability and safety and they said the media was overreacting. Blowout caused minor body damamge. Had to replace wheel and tire.( dot number: Tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Austin, TX, USA

Aug 012000

Explorer

3 tires separated within 2 weeks. Dealer informed Firestone of defect and recommended replacement. Firestone refused replacement. Further contact with Firestone resulted in replacement based on prorata for Bridgestone duellers.( dot number: Tire size: 16 )

- Inverness, FL, USA

Nov 281999

Explorer 4WD

My sister was killed when her Ford Explorer rolled over. She had a previous tire failure about 6 months before the fatal accident.( dot number: )

- Ishpeming, MI, USA

Jul 152000

Explorer 4WD

I bought my 98 Ford Explorer new in 8/98 and had the first flat on the way home from the dealer which I got Firestone to replace -they said it had a defect-then I had another flat in my drive way this year in June-couldn't find the cause-then in July I had the third flat(a blowout) on the expressway-a big round hole in the tire. I am so afraid to drive on these tires that I went and had them replaced today-now Firestone doesn't want to refund my money because these tires don't hav the "vd" in the serial number, but I'm telling you there is something wrong with these tires. This has never before happened to me as mny cars as I have had. I am furious at them.( dot number: W2hl1py288 tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Aug 262000

Explorer 4WD

I have removed & replaceded these tires at 16,310 miles because I do not trust my life to a posable recall. I want Firestone to pay me in cash or check for the ties that I excepted in good will from Ford & Firestone. If wilderness tires are defective from one plant I think they would be in all plants & all tires made to those specifications.to me the tires do not look very good now that I see them off the car.please put me in the class action law suit if you will.if I must take the finacial burdon of me puting the new tires on my car, so be it. I will be alive to tell about it. Driving in hot desert and mountain road conditions is dangerous enough without taking the chance of on defective tiers. Thanks for all the good work you are doing for us. Please excuse me for using this way of telling you about my problems, but I called your hot line and no one returned my call.( dot number: W2 tire size: P255\70\R1 )

- Prescott, AZ, USA

Jul 202000

Explorer

My tires have not failed yet but 2 weeks before the recall I had them examined because they were pulling to one side. I was told it was probably "radial pull" and not to worry about it. I am now wondering if these tires could be starting to unravel. I am willing to have the NHTSA examine them before they are replaced. Please let me know if you are interested in these tires.( dot number: Tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Santa Barbara, CA, USA

Sep 131998

Explorer 4WD

A rock when through a brand new tire. I did get a new tire after weeks of complaining, but I feel that the Firestone Wilderness AT tires are cheaply made if a rock can puncture a bran new tire over half inch wide. I don't consider a rock a road hazard. Please use this information to help you with the recall on 16 inch tires which is not included in the Firestone recall.( dot number: Tire size: 16 )

- Monongahela, PA, USA

Aug 212000

Explorer 4WD

No summary( dot number: W2hl tire size: 15 )

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Jul 132000

Explorer 4WD

Heard big bang noise on highway. Did not run over anything. Tire went flat.( dot number: W2cd1px tire size: P255/70R16 )

- Warren, NJ, USA

Aug 242000

Explorer 4WD

Tire was to cracking about 3/4 around where casing meets tread( dot number: Vn tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Beavercreek, OH, USA

Aug 242000

Explorer

Tires replaced because of reported tire problems with this size and application and after expert examination they were found to be dangerous, so I had them replaced with Goodyear tires, I have spoken to Firestone but they refuse to act on reinbursement due to the fact that I replaced the tires one day before the recall.( dot number: Tire size: 235/75sr15 )

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 092000

Explorer

Not one of the recalled tires made at Decatur il plant( dot number: Tire size: P235 75R15 )

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Apr 221998

Explorer 4WD

Ford Explorer that was only two months old had a blow out on the Maine turnpike. Reported to dealer and received a new tire. When recall occured we were concerned so we bought new tires and now Firestone is refusing to reimburse us for the cost. We did not buy Firestone...we were too concerned after the blow out and learning of the recall we do have the receipt for the replacement tire that was for the blowout and also for the new tires we purchased( dot number: 23575R15 tire size: 038040 )

- Andover, MA, USA

Aug 011998

Explorer 4WD

No summary( dot number: )

- Rouses Point, NY, USA

Aug 022000

Explorer

Traveling northbound on I-295. Puncture to right rear tire, driver lost control, rolled three times landing on roof against median guardrail. Front seat passenger ejected and killed, second seat passenger ejected.( dot number: W2hlipy148 tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Aug 202000

Explorer

Traveling @ 45mph/noticed tire thumping/stopped and found rt front tire had seperated. Went to Firestone dealer and they said sorry tire not recalled and charged me prorated amount plus tax and mounting for new tire/ I still have 3 + spare of these tires on vehicle P( dot number: W2hc1py108 tire size: P235/75R15 )

- Pt.Orange, FL, USA

Oct 151999

Explorer 4WD

Had tread seperations 3 times with these tires. I replaced 2 then had another seperatioon and replaced 2 more.( dot number: Tire size: 255/75R16 )

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

May 062000

Explorer 4WD

The right rear tire started to come apart at 70 mph on the turnpike in miami. Stopped the car on the side of the road and noticed the tire coming apart. Drove to a Firestone dealer and replaced the two rear tires and the next day the two front. The Firestone dealer said the tire should not come apart like it did and would send the tires to Firestone on 5/6/00.( dot number: Vdhlw02110 tire size: 235/75R15 )

- Hallandale, FL, USA