Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: How can we give the 2001 model year a "seal of pretty good" when it has some problems with a slipping transmission and a known problem with the speed activation control switch? Because it's not the 2002. That's how.

2001 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Explorer:

2001 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Jan 012007

Explorer 4WD 6-cyl

I am experiencing the timing belt tensioner issue that resulted in the Ford customer service satisfaction program #00M12. This extended the warranty to 6 years or 72,000 miles on that part. Too late for me, as I began having trouble a few months a go. Now, I am at 6 years/87,000 miles. My local Ford dealer said they knew nothing and so I called Ford directly. They told me to lodge a complaint with nhts. Pretty bad situation for me and many others as I have been researching on the internet.

- Blue Springs, MO, USA

May 092002

While parking vehicle power steering failed. Dealer determined that serpentine belt had broken.

- Orlando, FL, USA