9.0

$4,000.00

1. make them out of something stronger than plastic (2 reports)
2001 Ford Explorer engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Explorer:

2001 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Sep 192011

Explorer XLS 4.0L V6

This is a definite design flaw, and Ford is not "manning up" to help any owners with it. After I get the vehicle back, I will be sending copies of all my documents, service records, and receipts to the Commonwealth of Kentucky State Attorney Generals Office. I hold no hard feelings against the dealership, they are doing the best they can to resolve the problem, but Ford is about to lose a customer/owner to foreign competition!

- , Lexington, KY, USA

Jun 012008

Explorer Sport 4.0L

click to see larger images

timing chain tensioner break

Ok, somehow ford decided to use a plastic that can not hold up to either the heat or oil. The plastic timing chain tensioners ( there are 4 chains inside of this motor and all of them have plastic tensioners.) These pieces of plastic break apart and the chains get loose and throw your timing way off. Not to mention that now you have broken pieces of plastic and metal floating around in the oil pan and amongst the timing chains.

Ford needs to man up and fix this problem. Anyone here a lawyer?

- , Eau Claire, WI, USA