CarComplaints.com Notes: How can we give the 2001 model year a "seal of pretty good" when it has some problems with a slipping transmission and a known problem with the speed activation control switch? Because it's not the 2002. That's how.

6.7

2001 Ford Explorer miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Ford Explorer:

2001 Ford Explorer Owner Comments

Oct 162014

Explorer

The Ford Explorer 2001 XLS 4.0L rear wheel drive transmission is defective in slip 4 to 5 gear in 75000 miles.

- Dorado, PR, USA

Oct 082003

Explorer

Safety recall 03S03 and 03S04 2001 Ford Explorer.

- Portola Valley, CA, USA

Dec 182002

Explorer

Headlights too bright (low beams specifaically)

- Birnamwood, WI, USA

Oct 112001

Explorer

Consumer stated there is a creak sound when going over bumps, the dealer traced the problem as the lower dash bracket which was loose.

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Oct 112001

- Pompano Beach, FL, USA

Jan 272001

Explorer

Vehicle idled up and down and up and down all the time like its was recycling. Vehicle experienced some loss of power. In may of 2001, consumer took vehicle into dealer for a sulphur smell. Dealer told consumer that vehicle was fine. On 31st of may, engine light came on, and would not go out. Took back to dealer, and the dealer stated consumer needed a new engine. Also, vehicle would not stay on raod when ground was wet. Dealer replaced stabilizer.

- Topsham, ME, USA

Mar 262001

Explorer 4WD

Ihave lost controll of this vehicle several times due to the steering and overall handling, my tires are also playing a roll in this I beleave this problem is much more pronounced in rain or snow. I feel this vehicle is very unsafe for myself and my children! I've already had the vehicle into auburn motor sales for 6 days for complaints of lack&surge of power, bad sulfer smell at idle rolling idle(up&down), extremely poor gas mileage. The dealership was unable to diognose problem. As of today I've lost 21 days of use, on a vehicle I've only had about4 and a half months know they say I need an engine that I'm still waiting on. I told the dealership I didn't feel this vehicle was safe and wanted it replaced.I got know where, when they found out I got lemon law paperwork they told me Ford would not do anything about it pursue it through the state. I don't see how they can tell you that you are stuck when you purchased a new vehicle and it has compromised your safety time&time again! my salesman told me to look at the bright side I was still here to talk about it!!! I don't find this very amusing, I wonder if Ford knows how he feels in my opinion he was telling me I could of been dead!!! brenda. (tiresize: 255/70/16)( dot number: Tire size: 255/70/16 )

- Topsham, ME, USA

Nov 302000

Explorer 4WD

None

- Rahway, NJ, USA

Aug 032000

Explorer

When going down a steep grade neither "drive 1" or "drive 2" engaged & did not slow the vehicle. Neither low gears worked when the vehicle was in motion or when started from a complete stop. The gas guage will start showing 1/4 tank of gas when there is at least 3/4 full tank. This is accompanied by a burning smell coming from the front of the vehicle. When the vehicle is stopped & restarted the gas guage often returns to the proper level of gas in the tank.

- Alachua, FL, USA